homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Return of the Seventies

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Return of the Seventies
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(From the thread on car colours:)
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Orange, brown and yellow? Eek! Are we on for a return to the seventies?

I've been wondering that, ever since our local pub suddenly started offering scampi in a basket and chicken in a basket. Platform shoes are already back. Flared trousers are here.

Have you seen any other signs of renaissance of the era? What would you like to see back - and what do you fervently hope won't be revived?

I don't mind scampi in a basket, but flares, platforms and wedges - ugh.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That hairstyle of basically short layers but with rats' tails hanging out all over. Also mullets and perms on men.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grey Ford Cortinas with whiplash aeriels!

Glam-Rock.

YUK!

It really was the decade that style forgot.

But I do have a multi-hued nylon Afro wig here which I wear for watching cricket.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only good thing about the Seventies was that it was followed by the Eighties!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
The only good thing about the Seventies was that it was followed by the Eighties!

Really?

The music:
Free,
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era.
Then Punk.

What's not to like. Even Blondie who were around in the 80s were essentially a '70s band.

OK, there was Disco, bet even then Earth Wind and Fire were making good music, shame about the inferior acts on the bandwagon.

The '80s:

Classic Rock turned into stadium rock and hair rock.
Later punk turned into gimmick punk.
Disco staerted turning into dance music.

Everything about the 70s was turned into something inferior.

The WORST thing about the '70s is that it was followed by the truly awful '80s.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Series 3 E-Type Jaguar - made the 1970s a whole lot better. Sold for a ludicrously small sum and was cooool.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good things about the 70s:

Cheap holidays, being able to turn up at an airport and get a standby flight without the 3-hour check-in and luggage restrictions, Abba, the lack of mobile phones, sensible house prices, the Professionals, the Morecambe & Wise Show, Blake's Seven, libraries that actually had books in them, London's department stores, the iconic red buses, playing Pong.

Bad things about the 70s:

Male hairstyles, those awful moustaches and sideburns, tank tops, flares, the shoes, Medallion Man, lava lamps, click-clack balls, Brut, smoking anywhere and everywhere, definitively losing the sixpence and shilling (and my collection of Victorian pennies) for the faceless and boring decimal currency.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brut is still available here, is it still available there?

It is still just as awful!

[WW ashamed to say there was a (brief) time when he wore it [Hot and Hormonal] ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so why is a mullet called a mullet?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please tell me when I can put my Rambo hair band again.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As always, California is ahead of the curve (or is it behind in this case?) bringing back in 2011 our 1970s era governor

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
avocado and shrimps followed by steak and chips

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes. And Black Forest gateau. I don't understand why people laugh at that kind of food. When it was done at all well (quite a big proviso about food at any period, and if you think we don't need to make it now have a browse through, say, Jay Rayner's restaurant reviews) it was and is great.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
avocado and shrimps followed by steak and chips

Steak and chips have never gone away in our house. The avocado, admittedly, turns up more in guacamole and the shrimps in Asian stir fry.

What I don't miss is the chicken in condensed mushroom soup.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Oh yes. And Black Forest gateau.

Anything with as little cream in as '70s BFG does not deserve the name gateau. Gateau is all about cream. I cannot say anything else about this outside of Hell.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've seen Surf & Turf on menus recently as well. If retro is going to be a thing, they should bring back "Neapolitan" ice cream, the vanilla wafer sandwich, and bars of butterscotch.

Nice to be able to get olive oil and fresh herbs in the shops now, though.

[ 12. July 2015, 15:10: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I am also not pining for Vesta curries, Findus crispy pancakes, toast toppers or what we used to refer to as Angel Depression.

I'd quite like to drink Cremola Foam again - but I suspect it would taste revolting. Space Dust - anyone remember Space Dust?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I don't remember it being called a mullet in the seventies (c 1972). Does anyone remember it being called a "feather" cut? It was popular with girls who hung out with skinheads.

Vesta curries were pretty bad, but how many of us knew that at the time? We were in blissful ignorance.

I do miss cheap, plentiful cod and chips. Personally I blame the Spanish fish hoovers.

[ 12. July 2015, 16:57: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the drought 76 putting the price of decent teddies up SS.
Marble sized potatoes weren't any good for chip making. Only thing was the price of chips didn't drop the following year despite a plentiful supply of large spuds [Paranoid]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
As always, California is ahead of the curve (or is it behind in this case?) bringing back in 2011 our 1970s era governor

California Uber Alles
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flares and platform shoes were very fashionable in the 90s so I'm puzzled by the surprise that they're back - 90s fashion is back, which was essentially a copy of 70s fashion. Wedges have always been around because they're much more comfortable and practical than other kinds of heels, though I personally prefer flatforms.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

California Uber Alles
[Snigger]

(Oh by the way, there is a bit of a movement to introduce deep breathing, yoga, and simple meditation techniques on the preschool level in California Head Starts. And IME, they take to it like ducks to water. California Uber Alles!)

Living in the bowls of Rent Hike Hell, I really would like to see the Ashram/ Commune movement come back. Minus the scary culty gurus, I mean.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
avocado and shrimps ...

Avocado???? How very exotic! [Big Grin]

I'll 'fess up straight away: there are certain aspects of the 70s for which I have a nostalgic fondness (in no particular order):

The music (especially Queen, Status Quo, ABBA and some of the really cheesy bands like Slade that still come out at Christmas)

Ruffly peasant-blouses (which seem to be making something of a comeback)

Wild Musk scent (although you can still get it at Wal-Mart, and I occasionally do)

Proper prawn cocktails with Marie Rose sauce - none of the spicy tomato-and-horseradish nonsense you get on this side of the Pond

Proper Television™, especially comedies like Morecambe & Wise and The Two Ronnies and action shows like The Professionals, Target and The Sweeney with lovely, hunky blokes [Hot and Hormonal]

Things I'm glad have gone away:

Coloured bathroom fittings

Flared trousers

Instant mashed potato (although the adverts were excellent)

Wallpaper, furnishings and carpets in at least three different patterns in sundry shades of brown and orange

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Does anyone remember it being called a "feather" cut?

Certainly do - I had one, circa 1972 and it's taken most of the intervening 43 years for my hair to recover. [Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry for double-post - missed the edit window.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister refuses to get anything but a feather cut.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
round these parts a feather cut was not at all the same thing as the justifiably much-maligned mullet, though both were popular in the 70s.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that the 70s are not a thing, at least in the United States. Politics, fashion, music, and many other facets of culture changed so much between 1971 and 1979 that it is almost absurd to lump them together based on their third digit and call them part of the same era.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

That would be true for any 10 year period though: the 60s, the 50s, the 40s-- all show similar evolution.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
ISTM that the 70s are not a thing, at least in the United States. Politics, fashion, music, and many other facets of culture changed so much between 1971 and 1979 that it is almost absurd to lump them together based on their third digit and call them part of the same era.

These labels for decades don't often fit the calendar. I base everything on the Sixties, which for me run from the death of JFK/The Beatles/availability of the Pill to the oil crisis at the other. That's from 1962-63 until 1973. The seventies ran from then until the Thatcher and Reagan elections (c 1979) and the eighties was the period those two were in power, the end of which coincided with the end of Soviet-bloc communism. Since then it all seems to have been a mess, not to mention a rush from the tailend of my youth to the substance of middle-age since.

btw, I can't find any etymology for the "mullet" cut before about 1995 (The Beastie Boys). Does anyone have an earlier date?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That would be true for any 10 year period though: the 60s, the 50s, the 40s-- all show similar evolution.

Which is why they are problematic for discussions such as this. Bell bottom pants can "return" without disco "returning." And punk never really went away. And so on.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And punk never really went away. And so on.

No, but a handy guide would be something like this...

In 1982, the TV show Quincy did a (fairly ridiculous) moral panic episode about the evils of punk rock, and how it was making kids commit suicide and whatnot. (Check it on You Tube, it's a riot.)

Now, setting aside that the script betrayed a completely whacked-out idea about what the punk scene was about, it remains the case that most of the people watching it would recognize the words "punk rock" as signifying something that was very much au courant in early 80s USA. Sure, there were kids in that era reviving the "greaser" look, and bands playing 1950s music(eg. the Stray Cats), but if anyone had done a TV show about the threat to youth posed by slick-haired greasers, the audience would have seen it as laughably retro.

And, while yes, there are still bands playing punk today, you're not likely to see punk portrayed on TV as THE major youth trend of the 2000s. Whether that's because there really are fewer punks now than there were in the 80s, or whether the media has just subjectively decided that punk isn't important anymore, I don't know. But it still remains the case that it is possible to talk coherently about punk being a definitive aspect of early 80s culture in North America(the UK might be a different story, I think it was already dead over there by that point, in a way that it wasn't an aspect of previous eras.

[ 13. July 2015, 15:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Next Stop, Nowhere

The punk kids shown in the photos are classic, though not in the sense of "accurate".

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's all true, I tell you. Why, there are numerous types of popular music which, if I am obliged to listen to them in a confined space for any length of time, make me want to kill somebody (starting with whoever controls the sound system right the way through to the recording artistes).
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want punk with a difference, try The Bad Shepherds - punk meets folk, and it works really well. There are a number of tracks on Youtube, and they make punk sound good.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

We may be looking at the wrong era. One of the young things in my office informs me that "the Fifties were so long ago that they're cool again now".

[ 13. July 2015, 17:19: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I do notice that the standard summer frock these days appears to be something with a round neck, short or no sleeves, plain bodice and gathered skirt. Which was what I was wearing aged 7 or 8 (I remember the blue seersucker one, and my favourite pale yellow with tiny flowers).
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, His Bobness found a more mystical tone (vocally and lyrically), journeying from LSD to Jesus. I took the same journey, though the LSD (suspected, never proven) was accidental and the whole shebang was all packed into the 24 months after I completed secondary school. I was however busted for possessing and smoking dope on my 16th birthday.

I didn't bother with hairstyles, just the occasional cut. Looking back I wonder if the very attractive hairdresser pushing her breasts into my back as she cut my mop was being suggestive, but by then I was so into Jesus that I pretended not to notice in case I had Sinful Thoughts™

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
If you want punk with a difference, try The Bad Shepherds - punk meets folk, and it works really well. There are a number of tracks on Youtube, and they make punk sound good.

Yeah, the Bad Shepherds are OK, but don't do punk nearly as well as this lot

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:

Yeah, the Bad Shepherds are OK, but don't do punk nearly as well as this lot
I prefer Rob Brydon's version of this from 'I'm Sorry I haven't a clue', sung to the tune of 'Just When I Needed You Most' (which I can't find on youtube at the mo [Waterworks] )
I collect Laura Ashley dresses from the early 1970s so for me 1970s fashion has never gone away.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I just watched an episode of "The Facts of Life" the other day in which Jo reformed her tomboy ways by turning up for a dance in a fetching Laura Ashley blue velvet dirndl/ peasant sort of thing. The audience cooed like little doves. (Late 70's?)

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Does anyone remember it being called a "feather" cut?

Certainly do - I had one, circa 1972 and it's taken most of the intervening 43 years for my hair to recover. [Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry for double-post - missed the edit window.

I had one at about that time but it was called a gypsy cut.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't remember it being called a mullet in the seventies (c 1972). Does anyone remember it being called a "feather" cut?
I also remember 'feather cut' as the term for what we now call a 'mullet' in 1970s South Wales.

By the time the nineties came around I was in NZ and the mullet was the preferred term, but the cool kids pronounced it as if it were a French word /mulé/.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd say the definitive feather-cut was probably as sported by Suzi Quattro.

I think that's what mine was meant to look like (not that it ever did ...) [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. Took a pic of Suzi Q to my hairdresser 2 years ago and have had the rocker's mullet ever since.

Back in the 70's the cross between the feather cut and the mullet was known as the 'Lioness' cut here in Oz.

Cars: orange and lime green Taranas and Monaros.

Furnishings: Brown shag pile carpets, diagonal baltic pine wood panelling, black satin sheets, lava lamps, egg chairs, candles in bottles covered in multi coloured wax drips.

Macrame everything: plant hangers, vests, headbands, belts, even patterns for macrame flares and mini skirts with maxi coats.

Disco music, folk rock, hard rock, glam rock. The Skyhooks and Bowie. It was a good decade for dancing.

[Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
quote:
quote:

I don't remember it being called a mullet in the seventies (c 1972). Does anyone remember it being called a "feather" cut?
I also remember 'feather cut' as the term for what we now call a 'mullet' in 1970s South Wales.

In the US those terms were never synonymous. A feather cut was a cut with a lot of layers, causing the hair to feather outward framing the face. Farrah Fawcet was the definitive example of a feather cut. A mullet otoh was a men's haircut that was short on the front and sides and had a thin long piece down the back ("business in the front, party in the back").

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah,I have always understood "mullet" to mean a short, boyish cut with a long section at the back.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
round these parts a feather cut was not at all the same thing as the justifiably much-maligned mullet, though both were popular in the 70s.

There was also the Dorothy Hamill Wedge, made popular by the American figure skater. She could do all her fancy skating moves and her hair would just fall back into place. Being a short-hair aficionado myself (read: hair that won't do anything), I wore this through the 70s. It morphed into the Lady Di in the 80s.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Agh, I see I repeated myself on my comments re feather cut v mullet. I was having trouble posting the links and thought it hadn't gone thru. I really didn't think my comments were so significant they needed repeating. My apologies.

**wanders off muttering under breath about senior brain**
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought the mullet was more of an 80s thing

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The wiki article maintains its " zenith of popularity " was reached in the 80's, but it also full on shows a pic of Paul McCartney in a mullet and dashiki standing next to Linda, also in. Mullet and dashiki. Holy wow.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016