homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Oddly Appropriate Songs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Oddly Appropriate Songs
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I was going into the hospital for a heart test Excerpt from a Teenage Opera came on my play list. Any others had a time when the right song was played?

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There I was on the boat, riding on the swell, on the way out to Lundy. Going through my head? Adele, Rolling in the deep.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a difference between what comes to mind (your own internal response to a situation or frame of mind) and the strange tricks that Fate plays on you (external). I get internal ones a lot, but external ones are much rarer. The oddest external piece of musical synchronicity I ever had was when as a young child I decided to entertain my parents by recreating a small circus starring my teddy bears. For the equestrian act, I was going to turn on the radio and get some music to accompany it.

I duly turned on the radio and to our amazement, a song about a clown in a circus struck up. It couldn't have been better timed.

[ 28. July 2015, 19:44: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 35 years ago, my brother was in a car accident while he was in Philadelphia. Although physically okay, he needed me to drive up from Wilmington to pick him up. And what was playing on the radio as I drove up? Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This piece of sort-of serendipity will resonate with People Of A Certain Age™.

For a bit of background info: just before D. and I started seeing each other, my mum had been on a flight where the in-flight movie was 10 (the one with Dudley Moore, Bo Derek and Ravel's Bolero).

Fast forward to the evening of our actual first date, and Mum sent me off with the words "have a lovely time, dear, and I hope I don't come back to find you listening to Ravel's Bolero".

Guess what issued forth from the speakers in the restaurant just after our starters arrived ... [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was rather nervous as I waited for the porter to arrive to take me down to surgery for my thryoid op. To take my mind of the imminent throat-cutting, I decided to listen to hospital radio.

I was not overly delighted when the first song to be played was "The first cut is the deepest". ! [Eek!]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of weeks ago I was doing some particularly energetic lawn mowing (the lawn not being particularly even) with my earphones in. Up popped up 'Push It', followed by 'The Trick is To Keep Breathing' both be band, Garbage.

Does anyone listen to the Kermode and Mayo film review show on R5 Live? There was the story of a man having a hip replacement whilst listening to the podcast. The real-life sawing of bone unfortunately coincided with the clip of building the Ark during the review of 'Noah'.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016