homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Maps (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Maps
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in India map-reading is not on the curriculum so kids aren't taught anything about it, which is sad. Also the available maps are fairly poor. The best maps to use for getting about the country all seem to be published outside India - the Lonely Planet Road Atlas of India and Bangladesh is about the best for general use - particularly as it covers most of Nepal as well.

Being taught map-reading was one of the best bits of Geography at school.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always loved maps. As a kid, used to accumulate old Street Directories. See where the trams and railways used to be, and trace the highways out of the city. As an adult, was in the Army Reserve (Territorials). The big difference I suspect between British and Australian Ordnance maps was the distances - sometimes we would have to use 1.100,000 or 1.200,000 just to get the distances in.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Here in India map-reading is not on the curriculum so kids aren't taught anything about it, which is sad. Also the available maps are fairly poor. The best maps to use for getting about the country all seem to be published outside India...

Sad to hear, especially when you consider the pioneering work of the Survey of India in the C19.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Map reading is certainly not in the curriculum in the US. (Nor are many other things that used to be standard: cooking, needlework, music, art, dance.) People who need to do it learn it in other ways -- through Scouts, or when they join the armed forces.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another map lover here. I can remember getting a proper atlas for my 11th birthday and later poring over it with the ship list from the Iliad trying to figure out where all the ships came from.

Map loving classicists might also like
ORBIS

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be a slightly naughty tangent, but for sheer cartographic beauty and simplicity, this one is hard to beat.

Or its evil twin. [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ORBIS

I'm slightly offended by the immediate message that they don't consider the latest version of Firefox to be a modern browser, and don't support it... [Paranoid]

[ 07. August 2015, 15:43: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

Wow, brilliant. The Tube Map has lent itself to many a parody (including Mordor and Doctor Who) but I didn't know about that one.
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
ORBIS

I'm slightly offended by the immediate message that they don't consider the latest version of Firefox to be a modern browser, and don't support it... [Paranoid]
Ah so it isn't just my settings. I think I may have to drop by and have a word. It works with Safari and Opera but the warning is put up for Firefox and at least some versions of IE. Some people seem to find it does work with Firefox though all I'm getting is a black rectangle instead of a map.

There is also the
Ancient World Mapping Center

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought you guys might appreciate this-- one of my favorite "emergent" curriculum experiences came about this way-- I was reading a train book to a group of kids, and augmented a line about the train traveling " to the east, to the east" by pointing east. I then set the book on my lap and taught the kids some easy landmarks to help them remember the points of the compass in that area. (" East is the mountains, West is the ocean, North is Devil's Slide, and South is, uh, that way.")

As I was doing this, kids began spontaneously shouting out-- "that's where my house is! That way is San Francisco!" Etc.

The next day I got a huge sheet of butcher paper, and several transit maps I had copped from a BART kiosk. We read the book again, then afterward I spread the paper out and drew a rough aproximation of the Bay Area. I had them tell me what town they lived in and what street if they knew it, and working from a bus map, I plotted their houses out on the map. They got to color the map in, and they added different landmarks as they went along. Mixed age group of 3-5 year olds.

Any of y'all into Geoguessr?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This may be a slightly naughty tangent, but for sheer cartographic beauty and simplicity, this one is hard to beat.

(Sigh. At both, really.)

Do you know how jealous people in San Francisco get when they see pristine underground transit maps such as that? I'm not even gonna inflict BART/ MUNI on you all.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet another map-lover here. All sorts of maps: old, new, Ordnance Survey, street atlas, bus routes, underground, railways, anything. I love them. Hours of fascination. My favourites are very large-scale maps of places where I've lived - I have them framed and hanging on the walls.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to admit this in Heaven, but maps are my preferred reading in the loo. The family sometimes have to hammer on the door when I'm in the middle of a good browse through a juicy OS masterpiece. [Big Grin]

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Wow, brilliant. The Tube Map has lent itself to many a parody (including Mordor and Doctor Who) but I didn't know about that one.
You've never played Mornington Crescent* over in the Circus?

* or Concerning Torments, as it's otherwise known. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, when it first started up on the Ship (then it got boring) but I meant actual physical maps. Among the Tube map parodies I've seen, as well as Middle Earth, the Shire, and Doctor Who, there's the Rude Tube, the What If The Germans Had Won The War map, The Great Bear, the Tube Map of Outrage, a Tube map for football supporters, and the Biblical Underground. (The last might be slow to load but it's good when it does.)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have a passion for maps. My father (Boys Brigade and wartime army) made sure I could read OS one inch maps, and I have inherited his map reading protractor. I am currently looking out for a copy of the 2 1/2 inch map of Dartford, which I took into school, where they did not have enough for one between two in a class, and which I have never seen again. The OS has omitted stuff from its successor.

I always build up mental maps of the places I live, but they don't always orientate properly - I was at college in Clacton, and mapped the shore line as running north/south, as opposed to home at Dover, which I mapped as east/west, like Folkestone. Both are north-east/south-west. Sometimes I can almost feel the gears turn as my brain reorientates to join separate maps together. I can also rotate maps in my head, both round and round, and also up and down. This is useful for seeing from above and relating that to the landscape, but doesn't reveal anything I don't know for geological block diagrams.

I find it irritating when an author doesn't seem to have mapped their characters' journeys. Particularly when someone goes into a mountain, travels a short distance, and comes out half a continent away. (No names.)

And has anyone seen the fantasy sequence about magic wielding bards based on documents supposedly found in Morocco, where the geography looks remarkably like the western part of Middle Earth - same mountain ranges?*

At least Diane Wynne Jones turned her source map upside down in "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland".

*Mind gone blank to all but the map.

[ 09. August 2015, 11:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw an exhibition of maps in a museum last week - it included a medieval map from Munster which had lots of sea monsters

Monstra Marina & Terrestria, Quae Passim in Partibus Aquilonis Inueniuntur

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Norman's Gor novels (which you should not read for very different reasons indeed -- google first, if you doubt me) were noted for having the hero set out on his quests from the capital city. In some books when he went due east it was the ocean. Every now and then he would leave and head due east, into the mountains. That was an extraordinarily disorganized created world.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I expect it was all due to shifting tectonic plates.
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another here who's always loved maps. The geography department at my college had one wall covered with a mosaic of US topographic maps (in the 7.5 minute/1:24000 scale) covering a slice of California from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe.

I spent more than a few hours reading that wall.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do like drawing fictitious maps, but it is very difficult making the names believable. Small places aren't too bad using standard place name elements. (Though some otherwise good writers fail even at this level. Barbara Willard's Mantlemass I found not quite believable.) Large places are much more difficult. (I never was convinced by Susan Howatch's Starminster. Both parts are place name elements, but Star only gets used in reality for very small places, usually with bogs growing sedges, or pubs.)
A friend and I have fun occasionally making up imaginary London boroughs. North Dulwich, East Norwood, South Peckham, Monkshead, Thither Green, Cambersey and Bermondswell. Haven't mapped them, though.

[ 09. August 2015, 21:57: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... Any of y'all into Geoguessr?

Oh yes - I think it may have been you that got me started.

I range in ability from (occasionally) quite good to (usually) a bit rubbish and (sometimes) barely on the same planet. [Big Grin]

I think I may have to go and have a couple of rounds right now ... [Help]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just played a 5-round game of Geoguessr, and on one round I got 4999 points (within a couple of hundred yards of the location) and in another I got a big fat 0 (wrong side of the planet).

[Big Grin]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... Any of y'all into Geoguessr?

Oh yes - I think it may have been you that got me started.

I range in ability from (occasionally) quite good to (usually) a bit rubbish and (sometimes) barely on the same planet. [Big Grin]

I think I may have to go and have a couple of rounds right now ... [Help]

Damn you both.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
am sure we had a geoguessr thread not too long ago.

eventually it all turns into the same dirt tracks in sub-saharan africa/mongolia/australian outback/mexican desert and you have to find a difference between them thanks to the colour of the sky and the lines on the road.

although it's easier, the "famous landmarks" one is fun. Every "unknown fancy castle/building" seems to either be in prague, or France

[ 10. August 2015, 09:26: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to the GeoGuessr thread in The Circus I once got carried away and spent about 4 hours playing then realised that I should probably take a break!
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a pictorial map, in full colour, of Oxford University on the wall here in my den. I inherited it from my grandfather. It is useful when watching television as I can spot a fictitious college in minutes!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Oh dear, reminding me of Geoguessr. I confined myself to the UK, and, I am afraid, used a screen grab of the initial view, and Google maps, and street view to get quite high scores. The program originators did not mind this - I checked.

But I got a bit bored of long narrow lanes in the middle of flat nowheres, and cul-de-sacs in generic Bovis housing estates. I've been to quite a lot of bumpy bits of Britain when doing my OU degree, and had not realised how few the bumpy bits were. The only bumpy bit I ever arrived at was one of the notable Bens on the west of Scotland. I could do much better if I could see the rock or the colour of the soil.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
and, I am afraid, used a screen grab of the initial view, and Google maps, and street view to get quite high scores. The program originators did not mind this - I checked.

OK, so how else would one get a very high score?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

By recognising the spot straight away like the roundabout on the way to Lidl.

Just got 4999, 12 m odd off. And did spot the chalk landscape, though didn't immediately get that it wasn't in the south. Long boring lane though.

[ 10. August 2015, 19:18: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

NO, I understand that. What, though, are the odds o such a score on all 5 places in a round? In all 5 places in each of several rounds?

I'm exceptionally good at latitude. I am very good at general landmass and pretty reasonable at recognising languages. I am more traveled than average. Still there is no way I could consistantly get a high score without doing so. And, ISTM, that is not the point. The point, as far as I can tell, is to explore.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, I would call Geoguessr an educational toy that trains you in map use facility. If you are doing the timed challenge, instantly knowing a place would help, but otherwise the point is to fix the location accurately on the map.

I play a version that is strictly San Francisco, to help myself learn the neighborhoods. The city grid is a nightmare, and playing helps me sort it out. Playing the global version gave me a better knowledge than I ever dreamed I'd have of the location of Eastern European countries.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The thing that sticks in my mind is that someone in Shetland is building his house of straw.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hee. I dream of going to Norway someday. All those grassy hills and frosty beaches...

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hee. I dream of going to Norway someday. All those grassy hills and frosty beaches...

I fancy going there to admire the handywork of Slartibartfast, especially the fjords.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if there is anyone who can look at the Strange Maps blog without spending hours rummaging through its archives. That person is definitely not me [Help]

(You're welcome [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I don't think it's me either...
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

I fancy going there to admire the handywork of Slartibartfast, especially the fjords.
You can identify people with conversing with on a cruise ship by mentioning him as you sail up a fiord.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have a relief map of California in the other den and if your city existed in 1955, you could find it. Of course, because my grandfather ran the gas company, there were locations of major gas-lines, though the follow the freeways.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have only just spotted the typo - worth conversing with
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have noted the iPad Revolution has made us all more forgiving of typos. [Big Grin]

Y'all are helping me out-- I have been meaning to put together a survival kit for when kids are bored at school-- I would do well to stock up on transit maps.

Another thing I like to do is draw floorplans/ maps of the school, and leave them in the writing area for kids to figure out.

[ 13. August 2015, 16:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
I have noted the iPad Revolution has made us all more forgiving of typos. [Big Grin]

YMMV [Two face]

Anyhow, we've come some way since the early days, when maps, and the world, were so much less complicated.

This, by the way, is Europe at night, with all the capital cities clearly marked.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, one of the things we take away with us, as well as the 1:25000 map of the area, is Maponimoes* - we have the UK counties version, but there are other options in the range - it's the size of a couple of packs of playing cards. I've also got a jigsaw puzzle of the British Isles that I use with young people. I saw a similar world map last time I wandered into Stanfords.

* We also like Backpacker from that games maker.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Yipee] HOT.

Of course, preschoolers will probably just move them around to make pretend countries of their own, but that's totally ok!

[ 13. August 2015, 19:32: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

I had a jigsaw puzzle of England when I was young. Each county (old scheme) was an individual piece.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very hard to find US puzzle maps that show every state separately. Almost all of them lump Rhode Island with Connecticut, and Massachusetts is frequently thrown into the mix.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
I had a jigsaw puzzle of England when I was young. Each county (old scheme) was an individual piece.

When I was a kid, I had a number of jigsaw puzzles, which were shaped as countries or continents, with little name tags to put in to mark specific places. I had one of Australia which was brilliant - I learned so much about Aussie geography. I also had one of the UK and one of Europe. I can't remember if there was one of the US or Canada. I have vague memories of one of Africa.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
venbede: wonderful. Whose is it?

Bene Gesserit: one of kids uses arcGIS for work also...

Just revisited the thread and read your reply(!) Yes, you can generate some fascinating maps with it. We've just upgraded to Arc10 and even Famously Grumpy Colleague is impressed.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fabricate Diem PVNC
Apprentice
# 18459

- Posted      Profile for Fabricate Diem PVNC     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just celebrated a friends 50th Birthday with walking in the Derbsyhire Dales. I did him a custom map made from a scanned in 1890 ordnance survey I picked up for £6. It's creases, worn bits and general demeanour matched his own! Tried to download something useful fm various paid websites but gave up when I realised it would lack the age and dignity of the original. Gave him the original map as well which is now a prized possession.
I Love the smell of linen in the morning!

--------------------
Remember, these views are not necessarily those of someone professional, informed, knowledgeable or who bothers to read your post properly before replying....

Posts: 4 | From: Earth | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fabricate Diem PVNC: Gave him the original map as well which is now a prized possession.
Wow, that's a nice present.

(Welcome to the Ship!)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016