homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Small/handbag sized Bible recommendations

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Small/handbag sized Bible recommendations
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like a small Bible I can carry in my (fairly small) handbag - the size of an average paperback or smaller, please. I would like a version with deuterocanonical books, in order if possible. I use the NRSV usually but open to other translations.

In the Styx thread, Doublethink suggested an ebook but I don't have an ereader at the moment and find the Kindle phone app uncomfortable for sustained reading - and would prefer a Bible that never runs out of battery!

I am at Greenbelt this weekend and wondering if the bookshop has a decent range of Bibles?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this any help?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should be able to get one from most religious bookshops I would have thought?
I've got a paperback sized NRSV with sturdy covers, from Oxford University Press. No apocrypha, but I think I made that choice in the shop. The paper is thin, but it's held up to all the various forms of thrown in a bag and taken places (including Cheltenham Greenbelt) it's had to endure.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’d recommend the New Jerusalem pocket-sized edition.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's certainly no reason why thin paper needs to be non-hard wearing. I've got a pocket NIV (I know!) that has been toted around the world for 25 years - including a large number of Greenbelts. The edges of the pages have gained finger stains, and the spine is coming away ... but the pages haven't ripped or anything.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that be your old Gideon one, by any chance?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to break my little hardback NJB, eventually. But it stood up to a lot. (It still exists, but isn't attached to the cover any more.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had this compact NRSV as my Bible to take on my travels for a while now.

No deutero-canonical books, though.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have this Compact Good News Bible - I find it easy to read as the paper's thin but not very see through. The text is small but pretty legible. It will fit into a biggish coat pocket. I've had it about seven years and it's fine, though i did make it a fabric cover about four years ago to help protect it.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Would that be your old Gideon one, by any chance?

I had a Gideon NT and Psalms at one point. I left it in a hotel room somewhere.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coals to Newcastle.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
... I had a Gideon NT and Psalms at one point. I left it in a hotel room somewhere.

That's what you're supposed to do with them, isn't it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
I would like a small Bible I can carry in my (fairly small) handbag - the size of an average paperback or smaller, please. I would like a version with deuterocanonical books, in order if possible. I use the NRSV usually but open to other translations.

Perhaps Oxford University Press' The New Revised Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha: Pocket Edition. Size is 18.3 x 3.6 x 13.7 cm.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone - the compact GNB or NRSV look promising, I will see what the bookshop at Greenbelt has. They do cashback and I'd rather pay a bit more to get my money out and get a book with it, than pay £2.50 at the cashpoint!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note that the GNB doesn't have the deuterocanonical books. I don't think they're available in that translation.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The GNB is available both with Apocrypha and in a Catholic edition (i.e., with the same text integrated rather than set apart). Here is a compact GNB with Apocrypha.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

Thanks for that IngoB, you learn something every day. I've never noticed a different edition to the GNB but then I've never looked.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

It's a bit of a hobby for "translation collecting" Catholics to look for editions with "Apocrypha", for obvious reasons.

(By the way, shouldn't you be 100% less cheese? 50% less would be "che marzipan" or "marzipanesy" or the like... [Biased] )

[ 27. August 2015, 19:07: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
Thanks for that IngoB, you learn something every day. I've never noticed a different edition to the GNB but then I've never looked.

Oh there are several for the unwary. My GNB are all the first edition*. It has less inclusive language than the current ones. I suppose given the OP I should say this includes the small leather bound small one with a zip! Although that has no apocrypha.

Jengie

*Bought when it first came out.

[ 29. August 2015, 17:31: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016