homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Our priest is retiring

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Our priest is retiring
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Sunday, our priest-in-charge announced his intentions to retire the last of September. It's unfortunate that he has been dealing with a great deal of sadness and depression, and due to that I will ask you for prayers for him.

Now that he's leaving, may I ask your recommendations as to what I should do regarding his last service (I'm the organist), and what I/we (the choir) should give him as a gift?

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does he have any favourite music (organ/choral/hymns) that you know of that would be appropriate?

It may be worth your while conferring with him; make a few notes of possibilities, and see what he thinks.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on how good your choir is, and whether you want the farewell choral item to be part of the service or at a party after the service.

For an anthem during the service how about Wesley's Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace: very beautiful, good words, unfussy accompaniment; if you want something unaccompanied there is Faire is the heaven by William Harris.

If he's been supportive of you and the music, what about Wesley's Choral Song & Fugue at the end; alternatively, does he have a favourite organ work? When my last PinC left I rolled out the Carillon de Westminster because it was a particular favourite; and at the party after we sang We'll keep a welcome in the hillside because he was Welsh!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would strongly suggest that you talk to him and sound out ideas for both of your questions. IME, clergy don't like to be taken by surprise.

If you can identify one piece of music that is special to him, and one other that reflects the church's good wishes for him in the future, that is a good basis for his final service, I would have thought.

For a gift, see what he wants that will serve him in the future. There is a danger that retiring clergy are presented with some item that is relevant to their clerical work, but not to their future, and so it serves as a reminded of what they have given up. It should be a reminder of the good times, but be highly relevant for their future too, which may have little connection or involvement with a church.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about John Rutter's "The Lord Bless You and Keep You".

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no!
If it must be Rutter then A Clare Benediction is better, and shorter.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
\urban myth

Once chosen by an organist on just such an occasion:

quote:
Green pastures are before us,
which yet we have not seen;
bright skies will soon be o'er us,
where the dark clouds have been:

[Big Grin]

\myth

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I retire.... A garden shop gift which could be a voucher, but not necessssarily.
A book or music shop voucher.
A voucher for an experience, carefully chosen after conversation with me. YOU may yearn for a bungy jump, but not me.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My preference is for a retirement gift that can't be bought - some suitable piece of memorabilia from the job. In the case of a priest, I might go for a crucifix carved from wood reclaimed from the old altar rail, or something of that nature.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're chewing over "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" and then "Through All the Changing Scenes of Life."

Might pool together for a big petrol card or something.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We sang The Lord Bless You and Keep You when a minister left and it was well received. We also presented the minister with a lovely water colour of our area which he loved. Maybe also sing psalm 150 Stanford setting which always goes with a bang.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016