homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Purgatory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bishop of Newcastle

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bishop of Newcastle
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if this is the right / most appropriate board for episcopal announcements so if not, perhaps a kindly, learned and righteous host will relocate it...

new bishop

Two things seem to me to merit note (other than that this is IMHO a brilliant appointment):
1. she is the first diocesan bishop in the CofE who trained on a course rather than in a college
2. she had retired and has been summoned forth back into stipendiary ministry. Indeed, we said farewell at the July Synod and will now say hello (in Feb I imagine).

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delighted by Christine Hardman's preferment. However she's not the first bishop, or even the first female bishop, to train on a course. The Rt Revd Dame Sarah Mullally, Bishop of Crediton, trained on SEITE.

ETA Oh wait--you said Diocesan. I've been thinking for years that Newcastle was suffragan to Durham. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 02. September 2015, 12:39: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is true - the first bishop so trained was Robert Ladds. But she is the first diocesan ...

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm only 133 years behind the times then.
Mind you--the thought that it's not news for a suffragan bishop to be trained on a course, but remarkable when a diocesan is so trained shows up the Dobos-torte stratifications of clericalism in the CofE in startling relief.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
This is true - the first bishop so trained was Robert Ladds. But she is the first diocesan ...

Ah! Cross post with your edit...

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This'll set the cat among the pigeons! Jesmond Parish Church* (spiritual home of Reform and The Christian Institute) are in her bailiwick.

They've been in 'impaired communion' with the Bishop of Newcastle since the early-mid 90s - drafting in non-Anglican communion bishops to do confirmations (and irregular ordinations). It'll be interesting to see what line Bp Hardman takes... [Two face]

*My old shack, before I saw the light.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

She has experience of such from Southwark...

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what did she do there? I think Bp Wharton was satisfied to just wait it out - the diocese was always going to be around longer than any individual cleric.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When she retired, a lot of people in Lewisham were disappointed that it seemed the women bishops vote hadn't come fast enough for her. It's very good to hear we were wrong.
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As someone who was ordained by her predecessor-but-one, the wonderful Alec Graham, I'd like to offer her every blessing. It's a lovely diocese, but not an easy one. The last two bishops managed things very skilfully and I hope bishop-to-be Christine will too. As a Northumbrian in exile I envy her move to God's Own Country.
Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Charles, is there any particular topic you'd like to see discussed so far as this appointment is concerned?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Charles hasn't, one that occurs to me is the new Bishop's age- 64. There's been another sexagenarian appointment recently- Hereford (I think) and in a world where in many fields you're seen as finished as far as promotion goes at 55 or younger (e.g. look at the profile of the Labour leadership candidiates, except Corbyn) this is very welcome. Do others have a view on this? And if a rather parochially CofE question can be asked, is it time to reconsider compulsory retirement at 70- if the new Bishop turns out to be as good as everyone thinks she will be, isn't it a bit daft that she'll have to go in six years? What about e.g. retirement at 70 or ten years after your last appointment, whichever is the later?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
If Charles hasn't, one that occurs to me is the new Bishop's age- 64. There's been another sexagenarian appointment recently- Hereford (I think) and in a world where in many fields you're seen as finished as far as promotion goes at 55 or younger (e.g. look at the profile of the Labour leadership candidiates, except Corbyn) this is very welcome. Do others have a view on this? And if a rather parochially CofE question can be asked, is it time to reconsider compulsory retirement at 70- if the new Bishop turns out to be as good as everyone thinks she will be, isn't it a bit daft that she'll have to go in six years? What about e.g. retirement at 70 or ten years after your last appointment, whichever is the later?

There's a line being spun over on Thinking Anglicans that this may be a placeholder appointment whilst the diocesan commission get on with the reabsorption of Newcastle into Durham....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

Yes, that would be a good topic - in fact two!

I originally mentioned Christine's appointment here for the sake of information and of course so people could pray for the diocese and for her as this is a Christian Website (TM) and not for the sake of gossip at all, oh no.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
...As a Northumbrian in exile I envy her move to God's Own Country.

Ahem!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
Don't know if this is the right / most appropriate board for episcopal announcements

No, I can confirm that it isn't, and that the kindly Purgatory hosts have agreed to take it, so hold tight while I transfer you over.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016