homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Truth is Out There: The x-files reboot

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Truth is Out There: The x-files reboot
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that the six episode reboot of the X-files is two episodes in, I have to ask, anyone but me watching it? What do you think?

I think it's not as good as the original but still quite good, and it's lovely to see Scully and Mulder together again after all these years.

My main problem with it so far is in the second episode, too much time spent on the dream sequences with William, and not enough on moving the story along, which was uneven as a result.

Any one sles have thoughts?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I plan to catch up with it sometime this week. A Duchovny interview sucked me in.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{SPOILERS for first 2 episodes}
I'm thrilled to have it back. I think it's off to a bit of a slow start--though it's been a while since I watched any of the original series. But I can live with that. The actors are older, the characters are older, the original directors and writers are older...and maybe it just takes a while to get started.

I am confused about a few things. Not so much about who's actually doing what. But some inconsistencies. Maybe I'm misremembering. But wasn't baby William back with them for the last episode? They were in the bed in the motel room, and all the...um...strange people came to see them. Actually, I dug into the X-Files Wikia after writing that, and it looks like I had memories of various episodes stuck together. So I'll read up, as I have time, and see if I can watch some of the old series online.

Pleasantly surprised to see Skinner back.

This is going to sound strange...but I wonder if this will affect the US presidential election at all? And the general societal currents? Maybe not so much, if they only do this 6-episode thing. But the show's view of possible gov't involvement has shifted; and a lot of people believe the sorts of things TXF talks about; and many other people are suspicious of the gov't, in general (often with good reason); there's a lot of free-floating anxiety, fear, and anger around that needs a focus.

YMMV.

Oh, and if anyone's inclined to post references to rumors, fan fic, etc., PLEASE mark them as spoilers. I don't want to know any of that. Thx.
{/SPOILERS for first 2 episodes}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave up on the original X files around the middle of season 7. I think this was when they started filming in LA, because Duchovny threatened to throw his toys out of the pram. It changed the look and the atmosphere, and the writing was going off. And then Duchovny threw his toys out anyway. Glad to hear that Skinner is involved, I always thought he was the most interesting character. I might just give it a go.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only watched the X Files for s brief period in spring of 1995, and I didn't understand what was going on at all, and found it quite terrifying. ("Shrieking Autenrieth" was my nickname that spring...). But Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny made a deep impression on me.

So I don't expect the reboot to make much sense either. If I can grasp on to shards of story, that's more than I was expecting. But Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny are back on the screen, and I would be happy just watching them read the phone book.

So ten thumbs up from me.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to catch up as soon as possible - my eldest daughter & I used to watch this years ago when nobody had heard of it, so we are both excited [Smile] .

Ah, happy memories of Alex Krycek, Walter Skinner, Cigarette Smoking Man.....

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got bored of it after a while. And found one particular event too horrible - and the way nothing was said about the victims afterwards.

Sometime later, I found another reason to be unhappy about it. I was looking up a real person by the name of Strughold who was involved in nasty stuff during the war, but then found a home in the USA, like Werner von Braun. Only finding stuff about him was very difficult because of a smokescreen of references to a character in X-Files.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, now it's three episodes in, anyone have any opinions?

This was a sort of silly episode. The original series did those occasionally, as break, but I think having one in this six episode mini season was a mistake.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was totally looking forward to it and I wasn't disappointed. I've always loved the episodes by Darin Morgan, dark and funny. Seeing things from the point of view of the Monster of the Week is a good twist. And Mulder is still bouncing around between cynicism and belief...until the ending. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in "our" philosophy. Though a non-human who was only briefly human talking about pixels and quoting Shakespeare...? Or talking at all? Them's some genetics.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just came across an article at HuffPost, where Chris Carter talks about an odd encounter with a mysterious man during making the original series.

The article goes on a little about getting the gang back together, but I didn't see any spoilers. I did not watch the video clip, though.

[ 07. February 2016, 03:22: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the first episode air in the UK last night.
I think it's off to a promising start, it's similar to the old series, but different, and they haven't ignored the years passing, they have allowed the characters to mature.

I really liked the X-Files, but I probably saw less than a quarter of its 200+ episodes. I should avail myself of a box set or start plugging through it on Amazon Video (although I'm currently having a massive Star Trek binge...).

I did feel a little thrill as I saw the crossed torch-beams and heard that tune...

Definitely be tuning in over the next few weeks.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a big fan Back In The Day, although only started watching about season 3 (though have watched seasons 1&2). I also had rather A Thing about David Duchovny. Well, really Fox Mulder.

I've got a maternity leave coming up soon, and bought myself the complete boxset to watch through the middle of the nights... But as preparation for the new series I'm just watching the last episode of the old series. Wow, it descended into a lot of up-itself-ish ness...

But I'm looking forward to watching the new series in the next night or two. And I imagine it's more of a GA crush now. And I'm older than the main characters were back when I loved it as a teenager.

[ 09. February 2016, 20:42: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
We had the first episode air in the UK last night.
I think it's off to a promising start, it's similar to the old series, but different, and they haven't ignored the years passing, they have allowed the characters to mature....

I did feel a little thrill as I saw the crossed torch-beams and heard that tune...

Definitely be tuning in over the next few weeks.

I am recording them and have watched the first ep (Mr Marten doesn't care for it [Frown] ). I too had a little frisson at hearing the tune... [Big Grin] and I got a warm fuzzy feeling when Skinner turned up!

It'll be interesting to see where it goes - I'm carefully reading this thread to avoid spoilers! Years ago my eldest daughter got me into watching with her when it was on BBC2 and not well-known, and I've seen pretty well every ep I reckon.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I really hope they go on to make more episodes than these 6. I read that Duchovny, Anderson, and Pieretti have all dropped hints that they're interested.
[Smile]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I really hope they go on to make more episodes than these 6. I read that Duchovny, Anderson, and Pieretti have all dropped hints that they're interested.
[Smile]

There is this perhaps not entirely reliable item of news about a future series...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've carefully avoided reading anything by non-UK posters on this thread, and I'm still carefully avoiding it - I'm hoping it will still be here and that people will be up for talking about it once the series finishes in the UK though.

Second episode aired tonight, and I'm still enjoying it. I like that we get to see how stuff we saw happening in the old series has shaped them now, and the plots seem pretty good so far.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I have to admit I didn't like last night's episode as much as the others, but out of deference to the UK viewers I'll leave it at that rather than going into specifics.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed about the last, Nicole, but overall I have been liking the reboot.

If they are going to keep Lauren Ambrose around, they better put her to better use than they are currently. She's far too brilliant an actress to be relegated to some cartoony marinet rules lawyer.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

So now we have reached the end. Thoughts, anyone? I have to say I was underwhelmed, in totality.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Saw the 6th episode. Liked it. Some of the promos referred to it as the "season" finale. (American usage: "series" is the whole show, over however many years, like the Dr. Who series. "Season" is the portion of time in which it's shown, like the 2015-16 season.)

The main actors evidently have all hinted that they'd be interested in continuing the series. And, given the way this 6-episode season ended, they'd darn well better continue it!

I was surprised about Agent Reyes, though glad to see her. I'm trying to remember if her situation took place on-screen in the original series, or if it's something new. And what of her old partner? I'll have to poke around online.

And I wonder if Reyes is still Catholic? When that came out, in the original series, her partner was shocked and asked her why. She said something to the effect of "Sometimes, when you're lost, you look for the house with a light on".
[Cool]

[ 26. February 2016, 01:45: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week's "Muldur & Scully meet the were-lizard" was a breath of fresh air - a standalone lighthearted romp reminiscent of the best of the 90s episodes, before it all disappeared up its own backside.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's 'cause it was written by the original Darin Morgan who wrote some of the best XF stand alones including "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Jose Chung's "From Space'". That last one is my go-to episode. It has it all- humor, character, monsters, and mytharc (kinda). So good. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
This week's "Muldur & Scully meet the were-lizard" was a breath of fresh air - a standalone lighthearted romp reminiscent of the best of the 90s episodes, before it all disappeared up its own backside.

That ep was a blast. And the were-lizard was hilarious-- he deserves a spinoff.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I thought he'd escaped from Sunnydale - I can picture him swapping quips with Buffy [Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And hanging out with Skip, the floppy-eared guy. And Lorn, the nightclub MC on "Angel".
[Smile]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the third episode - indeed it was a blast. After the first 2 I wasn't looking forward to it (my wife is the fan) but this was brilliant, fantastic.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were the Lone Gunmen back at all? I had heard that they would be.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

At one point Mulder has a hallucination. They show up briefly as figures in that, or so I am told. I missed them, it was that brief.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Just watched the season finale, it aired in the UK tonight.

*Possible spoilers*

Not sure about that episode, a bit grandiose, and can you really knock up a vaccine in an hour of so including thinking it up and extracting stuff from your own genome?
I was also a bit nonplussed by the vaccine conspiracy thing, and by the whole world going to end thing.
Hmmm.
What did anyone else feel?

I've been thrilled to see it back, and desperately want them to make another season (and am hoping they don't do some sort of handing it over to Miller and Einstein thing), and I've loved this season, the final episode less so.

I've also started watching it all from the beginning on Amazon Video, which is brilliant. I happened to watch the pilot a couple of hours before one of these new episodes that quoted it a lot, so that was fun.

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Not sure about that episode, a bit grandiose, and can you really knock up a vaccine in an hour of so including thinking it up and extracting stuff from your own genome?
I was also a bit nonplussed by the vaccine conspiracy thing, and by the whole world going to end thing.
Hmmm.
What did anyone else feel?

As with the original series, I loved the standalone episodes but just couldn't care less about the whole conspiracy-theory-alien-technology-Roswell-Smoking-Man-thing. It's stupid, it's pointless, it just doesn't work.

Highlights, every bit as good as the original series, have been the were-lizard one and the suicide bomber one, purely for watching Muldur line dance to Achy Breaky Heart while tripping.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The originals are being shown from the very beginning on Spike (Freesat 141) at 10pm every evening. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly enjoyed it. I think it suffered a bit from trying to figure out how much stuff you can deal with in 6 episodes and I could have done without the Smoking Man cobblers though. It's tied itself in so many knots trying to be mysterious I lost the plot several seasons ago. It dealt with the 13 year gap pretty well though and Mulder's trip was entertaining. Who knew line dancing could save lives.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I've just watched ep 4 (Scully's mum dying) followed by the finale, as I didn't manage to see ep 4 before.

That one nearly had me in tears - I thought Gillian Anderson's performance was just spot-on, and the stuff about Trash Man very creepy...though for a moment, what with the truck, the homeless guys and the wind, I thought the Terminator was going to suddenly appear...

The finale was more meh, and I too wonder about the suddenness of producing a vaccine. Still, I did shout 'Nooo!' at the tv in the final moments [Biased]

It's just so nice to see them back again.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My verdict, by episode number:
  1. Good but slow, but there was a need to say what had happened all those years ago.
  2. Not a strong episode but good points, the new series has not yet found its stride
  3. Stride found. Lizard wereman was fantastic. But this episode was outside the season arc, which always worked well.
  4. Another good episode. Skully's mother's death was handled really well, and the monster of the week, the Trash Man golem, was also good, if graphic in its violence. Not one to watch whilst eating.
  5. Yep, still good, but I'm not sure why.
  6. What the... How much can you fit into one episode? A lot it seems. How much should you fit in? About half of this much. Mulder and Skully separated did not work here, unlike episode 4, and the pace was too rushed. As for the cliff hanger, I laughed when the UFO appeared. Which I presume was not the response the producers wanted.

To sum up: The good bits were very good, the poor bits sucked. In that respect it is like the earlier series.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thought, was the cliffhanger UFO the same as the ARV in episode 1? If so it is not alien, just alien technology.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

On Friday I finished watching all of the old seasons and the two films, and I realised just what a great show the X-Files was. I loved it, even the much-criticised last two seasons and second film.

I sky+ed the new season while it was on, and I'm halfway through watching it with the benefit of having seen all the rest. I have to say, I was genuinely sad to see the last episode, in that way of really good television with really good actors who make the characters like real people who you miss when they're gone.

I'm hoping even more for more now, and hopefully with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny rather than the two new ones.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016