homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is the strangest thing you saw this week? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is the strangest thing you saw this week?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some situations I observe and I would love to hear the story behind them.

Yesterday I saw an old man in a black cowboy hat carrying a large glass table on his back.

What is the strangest thing you saw last week?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always seem to miss the strange sights, but Daughter-Unit lives in the next town over and always sees stuff she really doesn't want to see. Naked (nekkid, as locals say) people dancing around is one of them. This week's version was probably number five over the past six or seven years.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a side alley beside a former night club were two items. An overturned picnic table and a purple bin with a gold lid stuffed to the gunnels.

No idea why the bin was purple or the night club had a picnic table in the good delivery alley.

Or perhaps the two people meditating on a bench in the park. They looked like runners having a break, he even in shorts though she was more sensibly dressed and had sunglasses on. It was below 10°C

Jengie

[ 13. March 2016, 12:30: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do snippets heard count, or does it have to be something seen?

I overheard a conversation yesterday. The speaker was on weekend release from some sort of penal institution, and I think had some sort of psychological history.

"These days no prison will take me".

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last week we have had rain off and on most every day. The temperature has averaged about 50F and windy. I went out wearing three layers of clothing, scarf, gloves and a hat. I saw my neighbor in shorts, barefoot and a tank top working in his driveway. I am not sure which one of us was strangely dressed but I do believe it was him.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new "vertical axis air dryer" in my garden. A 20 metre long tree branch fell and clipped the rotary clothes line, bending it 90 degrees. It now looks like a huge pinwheel. I could probably still pin clothes to it and watch them windmill around, because it still rotates - it's just that they would drag the ground on every spin!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My trip to Covent Garden excepted, I think it was the man who was vomiting up a yellow liquid next to a bus stop for about 2-3 minutes. I was on the top deck observing. I couldn't work out if it was just bile or limoncello; it was a garish colour and he seemed not to be puking up any food. He then stood upright and walked on as though nothing had happened.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On that yummy note . . . I ordered a chicken sandwich at a Subway and the clerk asked me if I wanted the meat toasted separately from the bread.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
starbelly: I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.
Was it a big man?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
starbelly: I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.
Was it a big man?
Regular sized.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it is recent enough to count, but last spring I saw a parade of undressed folk in (as I recall) Cardiff.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new local distillery has announced that they are coming out with a "wheat vodka." Which strikes me as odd. What's next? A "potato wine"? A "grape whiskey"?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had potato wine. Orange peel wine is quite good too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a woman crossing a busy inner city road with her pet pig in a perfect "heel" position.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a museum the other week and happened across a woman walking around with a live skunk on her shoulder.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I occasionally see someone in the locality walking her ferret in a little harness (on the ferret that is, not her).

This week has, however, been bereft of strange sights - unless you count a perfectly incredible number of road works in the couple of miles between here and a local hospital: I've been to parts of the city I barely knew existed.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I was part of what must have been one of the strangest sights some people had seen. I was with my Nordic Walking group and there were ten of us encircling two large trees, various ages, shapes and sizes with a heel on the ground with that foot up against a tree, while the back leg was stretched behind and our noses were close to the bark of the tree. We were doing an archilles (sp?) stretch, but looking over at the other half of the group I thought we looked like a bunch of tree worshippers.

Later we stood in a circle doing our cooling down exercises to the irritation of several Paradise ducks whose territory we had unwittingly invaded. They bustled around honking at us. Add to this a fluffy dog and a small boy enjoying each others company.

I really enjoy my Nordic Walking class, but it has been a challenge for me as an introvert who is often very awkward physically and overly conscious of that.

Huia - off to join the circus [Big Grin]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday there was a lone young man walking down our deserted mountain road, playing a guitar and singing. Looked like the cover a romance novel or the beginning of a commercial for air freshener...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember starting a thread with this theme several years ago. But not many people posted on it as they hadn't seen anything strange that week. Now the boot is on the other foot and I can't think of anything strange I've seen either. But I will keep a lookout, because you never know....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw two very small dogs and a pot-belly pig all chasing a garbage truck down a rural road. The fact that I knew the driver of the truck made it so much funnier (although he did not seem to appreciate the video of it I posted on FB [Devil] )

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I occasionally see someone in the locality walking her ferret in a little harness (on the ferret that is, not her).

Awwwh! When I was a girl I used to walk my rabbit in a little harness [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several mornings each week I go walking with some neighbors for about half an hour. Sometimes my big old siamese cat will come out to beg some petting from everyone. This cat does not roam farther than about four house lots. But one morning late last week he took it into his head to follow our walk. He made it most of the way down our long block. I finally got worried that he would get spooked by a dog or something and run off, so I cajoled him into following me back home. My friends waited for me to rejoin them and we all had a good laugh. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a part of the city where strange is normal. It's not unusual to have to dodge someone riding a unicycle while crossing the road. There's a regular in one of the local bars who seems to be universally known as Ukelele Guy. We have a vegan supermarket where if you ask for honey you'll get a stern lecture about exploiting bees.

I love it here.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

I saw a young couple in a rowing boat on the canal, the guy was reading from a book of poetry to his partner.

Should introduce him to the mountain singing guy...

Neil

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how about hearing something strange? We now live a half-mile from train tracks, and have gotten used to train whistles several times per morning. It's always "long, long, short, long." But Monday morning one went "long, long, long, long, long." Followed a bit later by a regular "long, long, short, long" but in a more melodious, multi-tone whistle. What are those trains up to!
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
how about hearing something strange? We now live a half-mile from train tracks, and have gotten used to train whistles several times per morning. It's always "long, long, short, long." But Monday morning one went "long, long, long, long, long." Followed a bit later by a regular "long, long, short, long" but in a more melodious, multi-tone whistle. What are those trains up to!

It's Spring! Must be their mating call.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:

It's Spring! Must be their mating call.
[Big Grin]

I expect Baptist Trainfan to come running along any minute now...

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As is often the case, Wikipedia is our friend.

Apparently the signals vary from country to country, in some cases from railroad to railroad, but generally speaking, in the United States, five long blasts means "flagman may return from east or north."

Long, long, short long is the standard signal blown when approaching a grade crossing. I am always reminded of the song "I've got my love to keep me warm" ("The snow is snowing, the wind is blowing"). But then again, I'm a strange one. [Biased]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose, our Siamese once followed us to my father's house, a good half a mile or more.
The strangest thing I've seen is a man walking along a shopping street in Monmouth with an owl on his shoulder.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't last week but a pigeon was waiting on the platform at Victoria Tube station with the rest of us, much to commuters' amusement. When the Tube train came in we skirted round the pigeon and boarded the train. The pigeon then hopped on board with us and stood there near the door. It didn't bother anybody, fly around or anything, just waited quietly like anybody else, then got off four stops later at Earl's Court and walked away.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It didn't bother anybody, fly around or anything, just waited quietly like anybody else, then got off four stops later at Earl's Court and walked away.

Just remember...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Saturday I saw one of those buskers who paint themselves to look like a statue and act like a statue in their act. But this was after he had finished busking and was just walking normally down the street. I had to do a double take to work out what I was seeing.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a man, blue from head to foot, washing hand prints off a golden retriever. I'm guessing dog related chemical toilet accident...
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a road sign today warning of road narrowing. It looked to be a standard road sign, but underneath the diagram was the caption "give and take", which I've never seen on a sign before!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some guy busking by drumming using a pile of junk. He was creating the most amazing sounds.

(I really wanted to get a photo of him, but I had my hands full of a pile of post, and he'd been moved on by the time I returned after queuing for half an hour plus in the Post Office.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I saw a road sign today warning of road narrowing. It looked to be a standard road sign, but underneath the diagram was the caption "give and take", which I've never seen on a sign before!

Well, this wasn't recent, but a funny sign I saw a while back was on a road going into Yosemite. There had been a substantial rock slide that had taken out the road months before, and they had jury-rigged a one lane road to get past it. While I was waiting for my turn to use the road in my direction, I looked up to see a sign that said "Geological feature 100 feet ahead" noting where the old road was abruptly ended by a big pile o' rocks.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In Guernsey one is regularly exhorted to "Filter in Turn" on the approach to road junctions -much the same thing, I guess.

See: here.

[ 20. March 2016, 14:33: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does a man selling fresh flowers from a bicycle in a housing association estate count? I do not think he had nicked the bicycle which was designed for selling flowers.

Then there was the morris dancer in dark clothes, looking like Mary Poppins with a dark carpet bag and jangling like an infant school orchestra.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, road signs! Years ago, we saw one in France, which warned, in English, 'Dangerous Declivity'.

It's been our go-to warning ever since.

M.

[ 20. March 2016, 18:08: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The strangest thing I've seen is a man walking along a shopping street in Monmouth with an owl on his shoulder.

Is that really so strange in Monmouth? It's a funny little town but not a patch on those in Somerset, a few of which are deeply weird. Yes Frome, I'm talking about you.

I'll be in Somerset this week so I'll report back on unicycling commuters, cars painted as cows and pigs and people dressed a la Sherlock Holmes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What do he have on the other shoulder?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is nothing strange about owls! Everyone should have one.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
..., cars painted as cows and pigs ...

We have a leopard print smart car that drives around the local area. Also one with Dasterdly spray-painted on one side and Muttley on the other.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
..., cars painted as cows and pigs ...

We have a leopard print smart car that drives around the local area. Also one with Dasterdly spray-painted on one side and Muttley on the other.
There is one in Henley covered in Astroturf!

Neil

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I no longer think this strange but you might:

A friend has a pet pig - Gloucester Old Spot - which is exercised on a lead around the village. Highly intelligent, the pig knows to stop at a light-controlled crossing and wait for the signal to cross.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
L'organist: Highly intelligent, the pig
At least this part doesn't surprise me.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was walking down the street when a pear tart dropped out of the sky onto the pavement right in front of me (the source turned out to be an overambitious seagull).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

What do he have on the other shoulder?
Owl droppings. Though those were actually down his back.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the home opener of my local Major League Soccer team (the Philadelphia Union) yesterday. And they won easily, which is a strange sight to begin with. But what really puzzled me is that, outside the stadium, there was a bagpipe-and-drum duo.

Now there is no obvious connection between the Union and Scotland. We have no Scottish players. The Union connection is to the Philadelphia blue-collar workers who are a bit of a melting pot, really. And Philadelphia isn't exactly known as a Scottish colony (more Welsh than anything--Bala Cynwyd is just to the west). Heck, as far as I know, none of the team's corporate sponsors even sells Scotch.

Now the game, played on March 20, did I have several nods to...St. Patrick's Day. But bagpipes? For St. Patrick? I just don't get it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016