homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is the strangest thing you saw this week? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is the strangest thing you saw this week?
Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While driving home yesterday, I passed a man who was skating on rollerblades in the center turn lane of the busy major street. Besides the danger in dodging traffic, the temperature was about 94 degrees F with a heat index of over 100 at the time.
Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blown-up balloons is a church waste bin.

Now I am used to the shrivelled ones that were once full hanging up in church halls for months after the party and the odd popped one behind the sofa. However, in fully blown up ones in a waste bin where other users chuck left over food and hot tea bags just seemed odd.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been to the funeral of an elderly lady who liked pink. She had planned her own funeral, and we were all asked to wear something pink. I didn't expect the coffin to be pink, or that she would be taken out to "Lily the pink" or that the family car would be a pink stretch limo.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably the Strawberry Moon (full moon + summer solstice) is going to win it for this week. And it actually is a pinkish gold. Forty-six years til the next one.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The father of a small child, probably female, certainly too young to be properly aware of environment, holding her on the wall of the viewpoint at Addington Hills, and laying her upper body backwards over the fairly considerable drop. She couldn't see that she was over a drop, only her father and the sky. Nothing was said, either to the baby or between the father and the mother. Then they put her back in the pushchair and went away. I don't know where they went after that, as they hadn't got back to their car before me, and I had stood there a long time afterwards.

It was peculiar, but not bad enough to do anything about.

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a shop in Las Vegas I saw a display of caps with the mascots of the Democratic and Republican parties (a donkey and elephant, respectively) in red, white and blue rhinestones.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sign as we drove onto Dartmoor warning of "Sheep lying on road" - and yes, they do.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SHEEP SPEAK TRUTH - but you do not listen.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This came back to mind while I was posting over in the July Book Group. I was over in the local Barnes & Noble big-box bookstore, and they had all their dud items on a Clearance table. Marked down 80& off was a Walter White action figure. This is from the hit TV show Breaking Bad, which you may recall was a dark action drama involving violent and corrupt drug dealers in the Southwest US. He was complete with his orange haz-mat jump suit, his big face-filter and goggles that protects him from the dangerous fumes when he's cooking methamphetamine, and (I believe) a teeny plastic machine gun.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangest thing seen this week: around 7.30 am, a little middle-aged, bespectacled Japanese lady in a simple dark grey kimono and Japanese shoes, making her solitary way along the main road in a not exactly cosmopolitan area. Whence? and why? and whither?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I haven't see her for a while but there's a Japanese woman dresses in the kawaii style - all exaggerated little girl dresses, gingham and big bowd. Except she's palpably in at least her sixties.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son observed an interesting situation this week. He went to the Police Lost and Found, where he overheard the following:
Policeman: "I'm sorry, but we don't have your trousers."
Irate man "If you've got my hoover, you must have my trousers"
Policeman "We have your hoover but we don't have your trousers"

Exit irate man, clutching a hoover.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But was he wearing any trousers??? [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from that fine old American tradition, thousands of people trying to leave the park at the same time after fireworks at 10 pm. While waiting, I looked across the street to see that there was a family with several little ones set up in the graveyard with fireworks and flashing lights and sparklers, having a great old time around a grave.

I tried imagining the backstory and decided I'd better stay out of it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a long tradition of gathering in graveyards to picnic and have fun. More doable in rural and country cemeteries; doesn't often happen in urban settings.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There is a long tradition of gathering in graveyards to picnic and have fun. More doable in rural and country cemeteries; doesn't often happen in urban settings.

This is an inner ring suburb of St. Louis city, and I've never seen such a thing here. Particularly at night, with small children! It was focused on a single grave in particular--they stood surrounding it.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Gosh, you're right. There's a novel in there, possibly by Stephen King.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Snigger]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago I gave a talk about a local suffragette to a church women's group. My talk included the fact that she was buried in the graveyard surrounding the church. The women asked if I could show them the grave, and produced a couple of torches from the church kitchen. So we all sallied out.

I got home to discover that someone had posted a "what is happening" query on Facebook. Apparently their window overlooked the graveyard and they thought that they had spotted bizarre scenes of suspected who-knows-what involving old women by torchlight in the graveyard.....

Fortunately I was able to quell the rumours before they got completely out of hand.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, still haven't seen anything strange. I lead a sheltered life...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does a conservative christian demonstrate the virtues of virginity using foodstuffs? Like this! [Eek!]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is vile and ignorant. (It represents the vulva, not the vagina, and assumes variants are the result of activities, which they are not. No wonder girls want cosmetic surgery.)

I can't process this - the mind behind it is beyond belief corrupted from normal thought.

Does this belong in Heaven?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
How does a conservative christian demonstrate the virtues of virginity using foodstuffs? Like this! [Eek!]

I think we're better confining this thread to things we've seen in RL - rather than icky memes wot I found on the 'net.

While the image is not inherently NSFW, the accompanying commentary does move it into Brain Bleach territory.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

As I was driving home about sunset, facing east, I spotted a faint rainbow against cloud, rather like a sundog, but in totally the wrong place. By the time I managed to find a layby, it was brighter, and another part of the arc had become visible to the left. Neither part extended down to the ground, and there was no trace of rain at ground level. It never joined at the top, became faintly double and then faded away. I did photograph it with my phone, but I don't think it has worked well colourwise.
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ray Winstone has just been cast as Tobermory in a remake of "The Wombles". Ray. Winstone.

Although, thinking about it, you'd totally pick up your litter with him around.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Seeing as he's at a loose end these days, Boris Johnson could audition for Bungo. I mean, he wouldn't even need the makeup.

[ 08. July 2016, 10:27: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a delivery guy on a motorcycle going the wrong way on a one-way service road, quite in defiance of the law.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down by the Aspley Basin in Huddersfield, a man riding a bike along the towpath. Where we saw him he was crossing the road, complete with vocal blue and orange parrot riding on the handlebars.

[ 10. July 2016, 14:21: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An artist is sued because he claims he did not paint.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kneelers in a Presbyterian church.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While that is a fascinating story, lilBuddha, (and not icky at all!) I would like to remind everyone that Firenze has just posted that this thread should be about things we've seen in RL.

I do think that your post would be perfect for the Interesting miscellany thread, however, and I will copy it there for you!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Kneelers in a Presbyterian church.

There have been rumours of such in Presbyterian and Congregational churches for generations. It is normally the sign of a high Calvinian minister*.

Jengie

*i.e. one who seeks to put into practice Calvin's teaching on worship, not just a take on his theology or church government.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a wedding, sitting inside, when I happened to glance towards the door in time to see a rubber chicken, attached to a number of helium balloons, go floating past about 2 foot above the ground.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just gone 11:20pm and someone has walked past my window, down the road, playing a tuba! [Confused]

I say playing; that's a bit generous. They were blowing down it and some sounds came out.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A wren in my garden - hooray! Dismembering a butterfly or moth, or attempting to, while the insect attempted to escape. Oh dear!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not seen but heard: a "spam" advertising phone call beginning, "Now that winter's here ...".

I know that the British weather is awful but ...! And that was the third time!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I occasionally cycle to work, and today I did. A deer was standing beside the trail. She did not look up as I passed, close enough to pat her. (I didn't -- we have deer ticks that spread Lyme disease around here.) She seemed to be pondering serious matters -- Brexit, or the world economy.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I occasionally cycle to work, and today I did. A deer was standing beside the trail. She did not look up as I passed, close enough to pat her. (I didn't -- we have deer ticks that spread Lyme disease around here.) She seemed to be pondering serious matters -- Brexit, or the world economy.

Given your location, probably contemplating getting out of D.C. after November's election.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I was driving a few blocks from my home I saw four teenage boys walking (not quite marching) single file. The first and last had drum sets around their waists, which they were playing. I stopped at a stop sign, and as they crossed in front of me the second (drumless) boy looked over at me and grinned as if he and I were in on some joke. There were no phones evident (!), no signs, no indication of what their purpose was -- but they made me smile.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman was riding a bicycle with frame covered in garlands of faux flowers. I spoke to her, she grinned, and said she has a string of lights as well and turns them on after dark. -- no more eccentric than I am.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a skunk snuffling around my bus stop last night. This is in the Bronx. I am told there are lots of skunks in that neighborhood, but I never saw one before.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was me, outside, gardening today. That's pretty exceptional [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A 6' tall youth on a tiny little purple bike, sized about right for a 6 year old, cycling the wrong way up the road and performing manoeuvres.

His girlfriend was clearly embarrassed by him and just kept on walking (on the pavement) as if she had nothing to do with him while he circled round and avoided oncoming traffic and got stared at by lots of passersby.

I'm guessing they were taking the bike home to be given to a child of a more appropriate size, but you never know.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Yesterday, in Sainsbury's, the person in the queue next to me was buying 35 bags of ice. It seemed so excessive, I couldn't help but ask if the BFG was nearby and whether he had a sprained ankle.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a car in the library parking lot with a license plate that said SWERVE.

I'm still trying to figure out what that's about.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know either, but I'd take it seriously. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yesterday, in Sainsbury's, the person in the queue next to me was buying 35 bags of ice. It seemed so excessive, I couldn't help but ask if the BFG was nearby and whether he had a sprained ankle.

Sipech: and what did they reply?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps he had an old-fashioned ice-box at home, and was Panic Buying in anticipation of the hot weather.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

In Arizona swimming pools become so warm in the summer that they're no longer refreshing -- more like a warm bath. I have heard of people buying large amounts of ice to cool off their pools. Somehow I doubt that this is the case where Sipech lives.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016