homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Old Grey Mare she ain't what she used to be.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Old Grey Mare she ain't what she used to be.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First they changed the Cadbury candy eggs in the USA so they taste like plastic and are not worth eating.

Now I find out that Lanvin is once again selling my old favorite perfume Arpege but although it has the same name they have changed the scent.

What have you found that is not what it once was?

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GI--

The Vermont Country Store brings back and makes lots of original-formula products that customers miss. I looked up Arpege, and they have it. You might double-check with them that it's the original formula, but it probably is.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

My mind, especially my memory [Disappointed]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Airline travel.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Griffin's Chocolate Macaroon biscuits - smaller and less coconutty...

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Me.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wagon Wheels are now Wagon casters; Kit-Kat is more of a kit-kitten. Every chocolate bar and biscuit from my childhood is a diminished thing - while costing unimaginably more. Swizz.

On the subject of scents, I'm prepared to allow the receptors may have changed. I find ones which appealed like mad at one time do nothing for me now. As to whether a re-issue of a vintage perfume is identical to the original - let me tell you there is a whole blogosphere of fumeheads out there arguing such points (I know one witty contributor to the genre, which is why I am aware of it).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:

Me.
[Overused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Wagon Wheels are now Wagon casters; Kit-Kat is more of a kit-kitten. Every chocolate bar and biscuit from my childhood is a diminished thing - while costing unimaginably more. Swizz.

Do you not think that maybe you have grown, and so the reduction in size is relative rather than absolute?

I remember as a teenager going back to my old primary school and being amazed at how small it was. When I was six it had seemed huge.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was little, Coca Cola was a once in a great while treat, especially when enjoyed at the drug store soda fountain. After many years, I recently had an opportunity to have a Coke with a meal. It was totally disappointing, sugar water with brown coloring. Yuck.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume you are not old enough to have been drinking the Coke that had coke in it. Yes, that would have been a very different beverage indeed, and it would be no wonder that it holds a fond place in your memory.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Do you not think that maybe you have grown, and so the reduction in size is relative rather than absolute?

Nope. I have observed the shrinkage go on over the years. It's how they get away with it.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze has got it right.

Sadly. [Waterworks]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
When I was little, Coca Cola was a once in a great while treat, especially when enjoyed at the drug store soda fountain. After many years, I recently had an opportunity to have a Coke with a meal. It was totally disappointing, sugar water with brown coloring. Yuck.

I was told that Coke varies according to what region it's being sold in, as in some areas it sells better with more/less sugar in. I also was disappointed by our local version of Coke but got a can (this was some time ago now) at a market stall which had clearly been intended for the Middle Eastern market as half the labelling was in Arabic. It was quite a lot nicer.

Creme eggs are smaller and more horrible than they used to be. I was given one recently and I have to confess that once I was alone with it, I scooped out the filling with a spoon and threw it away and just ate the chocolate. Even that was too sweet but better than the filling.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:

I remember as a teenager going back to my old primary school and being amazed at how small it was. When I was six it had seemed huge.

Coffee used to come in one-pound packages; now they're 10 ounce, I believe. Bacon too.

Some time ago I drove through our old neighborhood -- the hill where we used to sled in the winter, which seemed so steep and long back then, looked to be little more than a bump.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Creme eggs are smaller and more horrible than they used to be. I was given one recently and I have to confess that once I was alone with it, I scooped out the filling with a spoon and threw it away and just ate the chocolate. Even that was too sweet but better than the filling.

Last year they stopped making creme eggs with Dairy Milk chocolate, and started using cheaper stuff. Sales went down, but they are insisting it wasn't because of the change. I'm not sure whether they've done anything to the filling, but it certainly seems to have less taste to me (sweet and gooey, nothing else now).
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I thought that. The filling used to have a bit of a flavour but this year, it just seemed like pure sugar concentrate.

Cheapskates.

[ 17. March 2016, 17:08: Message edited by: Ariel ]

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MacDonalds. The first time I had a Big Mac was when I was at college - there were no Macdonalds in our area, so a trip into Staines usually ended with a burger.
After we were married, we went into Newport one Saturday, and seeing a Macdonalds, decided to have lunch there.
What had happened in the meantime? What we once thought tasty and exciting was now just so much mush.
(Mind, I'm still a fan of their caramel sundaes)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel
I was told that Coke varies according to what region it's being sold in, as in some areas it sells better with more/less sugar in.

In the US Coke is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup; in Mexico they use sugar. There is a definite difference in taste. You can buy Mexican Coke in Texas.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key kindly suggested
quote:
Vermont Country Store brings back and makes lots of original-formula products that customers miss. I looked up Arpege, and they have it. You might double-check with them that it's the original formula, but it probably is.
I contacted The Vermont Country Store and they said that it was against the law to use some of the ingredients in the original formula. So Alas what they sell is not what they made of yore.
You have to wonder what that original formula was made with, Cocaine, Rat Tails, Sea Turtle Eggs???

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GI--

Wasn't ambergris, from whales, sometimes used in perfumes?

Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
I was told that Coke varies according to what region it's being sold in, as in some areas it sells better with more/less sugar in.

In the US Coke is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup; in Mexico they use sugar. There is a definite difference in taste. You can buy Mexican Coke in Texas.

Moo

You can also find Mexican Coca Cola in many grocery stores in the Hispanic neighborhoids in bigger US cities. I get mine up in Saint Paul.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Moo

You can also find Mexican Coca Cola in many grocery stores in the Hispanic neighborhoids in bigger US cities. I get mine up in Saint Paul.
Yes. It's a big draw-- stores will advertise it specially. Sooooo much better.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
I'm not sure whether they've done anything to the filling, but it certainly seems to have less taste to me (sweet and gooey, nothing else now).
[Roll Eyes]

Creme Eggs made for the US market have a sweeter, sicklier filling than those made for the UK market. If they've changed the UK ones to have the US market filling then the sky really is falling.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
GI--

Wasn't ambergris, from whales, sometimes used in perfumes?

Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for.

Is used. It is a waste produce as far as the whales are concerned, equivalent to vomit see this video from PhD. So it is unlikely to be banned but it is also only in the very expensive perfume.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pretty much everything made since the turn of the century. At some point they seem to have made all the little improvements we really wanted and started adding things we really don't want just so the sales people would have something to talk about.

My ovens used to all be turned on by turning the dial to the temperature I wanted. That was all. Now I have to push a button that slowly beeps it's way up, and then push another button to "start." I neglected to do this a few times in the beginning and the roast I thought had been cooking for hours was just sitting in there. Why would I ever want to set the temperature but not start cooking? The answer is, if I wanted my roast to sit there until three in the afternoon and then start. Clever new feature, huh? I guess. If you aren't worried about food poisoning at all.

My new washer tries to rinse the big loads in. six inches of rinse water. "Energy saving!" Of course, that leaves them stiff and dirty so I have to run the whole cycle twice. Wasting water, energy and time.

I've had two new electric can openers that shred the label while they cut the lid and get little bits of paper in the food. Soon things will be worse and all the cans will have those new pull tabs that my thumbs are too weak to work.

I once was able to set-up my DVD recorder in about ten seconds but now there are so many wonderful options to sort through and my cable company has added over 1000 new unwanted stations so that to try and record a show that comes on after I go to bed, I have to use three separate remotes and about a half an hour of my time.

Our new big flat screen TV's look stylish and give us a fine high-definition picture but we can barely hear them at all.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Pretty much everything made since the turn of the century. At some point they seem to have made all the little improvements we really wanted and started adding things we really don't want. . . . My ovens used to all be turned on by turning the dial . . . . Now I have to push a button that slowly beeps its way up. . . . I once was able to set-up my DVD recorder in about ten seconds but now there are so many wonderful options to sort through. . . . Our new big flat screen TVs look stylish and give us a fine high-definition picture but we can barely hear them at all.

That. And have you tried manually adjusting the aperture and shutter speed on your smartphone's camera? It used to be that you simply turned the lens to the desired f stop and moved a little lever to set the desired shutter speed. Don't ask me what you do now -- I haven't figured it out yet.

And it used to be that you took a picture by pressing the shutter button. Now you have to touch the shutter icon, and your guess is as good as mine as to whether the shutter actually opens and closes or not.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Things aren't built to last any more. They're built to wear out, often with unfixable components or the price of fixing the device is more than the cost of a new one, so that you have to buy a new one.

Apparently there's a whole island off the coast of [I can't now remember whether it's Japan or somewhere in the Gulf] constructed entirely of old unfixable machines dumped on this basis.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My waistline. [Frown]

I agree with you about scent. My default scent during the early 80s was Cinnabar, followed by Beautiful (which I wore on my wedding day and for several years afterwards).

Years later, after dalliances with Giorgio Armani and Jean-Paul Gaultier, I had a sniff round the Estee Lauder counter and discovered that both Cinnabar and Beautiful had changed almost beyond recognition, and not for the better.

At the other end of the price bracket, I discovered a few years ago that you can still get Coty's Wild Musk, which to me is the scent of the 70s, and it hasn't changed a bit. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... Creme Eggs made for the US market have a sweeter, sicklier filling than those made for the UK market ...

Is that actually physically possible? [Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
And have you tried manually adjusting the aperture and shutter speed on your smartphone's camera? It used to be that you simply turned the lens to the desired f stop and moved a little lever to set the desired shutter speed. Don't ask me what you do now -- I haven't figured it out yet.

And it used to be that you took a picture by pressing the shutter button. Now you have to touch the shutter icon, and your guess is as good as mine as to whether the shutter actually opens and closes or not.

It used to be that phones made and received phone calls. Period. (And they were attached by cords to the wall of your home.)
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

My waistline. [Frown]

I don't think my waistline has changed, but I do notice that my clothes all seem to have shrunk. Trousers which once fastened easily don't any more. And I am sure clothe sizes are smaller than they used to be.

And I wish young people would speak up and not mumble so much.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teaching. I wouldn't go into it now. Far too much emphasis on exam factory input-output, and not enough on open-ended creativity.

Church choirs - I stick with it, but mourn the days when good singers and sight readers wanted to join church choirs, any other choirs they sang with were in addition to the church choir, not instead of. Now we plough on, trying to at least keep the simple stuff going, applying the best efforts of those who do still want to sing.

Computers. OK, that is a vast improvement. But I still retain a great fondness for the excitement of those first space invaders games!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Service (or rather lack of) in shops. More and more just self service in finding products and paying for them, with few staff around to help.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a minor but annoying thing--for the past five years or so, there's been a real fad for web design (and program design!) where vital stuff, like forms, are done in pale almond-on-cream background. Which means there is so little contrast that I can't bloody find the freaking box to type my name etc. into. And switching to high-contrast mode often leaves this problem totally alone, while torturing me with violent violet, yellow and black (my eyes! my eyes!) and it's usually about 30 seconds before I decide it's better to be blind than blinded, and switch back.

Who the hell starts these fads?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
Service (or rather lack of) in shops.

Topped off by tip jars at the register. We're expected to tip the help for doing, erm, nothing.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

It used to be that phones made and received phone calls. Period. (And they were attached by cords to the wall of your home.)
[Razz]

Mine still is.

We noticed yesterday, at the supermarket, that all the babies were sitting in the cart, heads down, playing with some sort of hand held device, entirely missing the supermarket experience, not to mention missing my husband who they often think is The Giant, they've heard so much about.

I predict the next generation will have thumbs as long as their middle fingers.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phones attached to the wall of your home? What luxury! Perhaps I'm showing my age, but making a phone call was an enterprise of epic proportions, involving never raiding the change jar, dressing up in waterproofs, against the inevitably rainy Creamtealand weather, and trekking off to find the phone box (which always had a very distinctive smell, and often even an extremely unpleasant, smelly one). All for a cold, uncomfortable phone call (first mastering button A, button B, torn or non-existent telephone directory, stubborn coin slots and pips just at the wrong time; assuming it was even working at all).

You really had to want to contact the person at the other end to go through all that in order to just talk to them!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Reading the above post, it must sound like I - and fellow ancient people - are complaining about how it used to be. But wait until we spot an old, red telephone box lurking in some forgotten corner of Olde England, and note the yearning tones of pure nostalgia emanating from our lips and hearts.... life just isn't the same anymore!

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016