homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Holidays (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Holidays
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's spring. I've been looking at travel sites and come away with a head full of impossible dreams, and images of sun-drenched beaches, bright airy villas, intriguing old passageways and markets, cafes with tables outside, and so on.

Where would you most like to go, of all the places in the world? And why? (This can include places you can't currently visit because of wars, etc.)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have just described Tuscany [Smile]

Simply wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially because I'm normally travelling so much, I'd like to go on a simple camping holiday.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
South Korea, the cherry blossom will be out and such an interesting diverse country. Otherwise, anywhere in Italy - the history, architecture, history, etc, beautiful.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iceland, and seeing the Northern Lights.

New England. In the fall, of course.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say Angkor Wat in Cambodia, just a few flying hours from here but actually I love where I am so much and so much more is so easily reachable from here that I really don't want to go anywhere - when you live in paradise why move?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When July and August are so hot and humid we can hardly breathe, my friends and I love to go to cool places. Alaska, Finland, Colorado, places like that. Being tempted to wear a jacket in the morning is luxury!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Svalbard. Because Polar Bears and Ice and Snow.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd just love to travel more. I've been on holiday twice in the last 16 years and recently booked my 3rd (a 3 centre stay in Switzerland this summer).

One of the main problems is that I'm a temperate person. I can't stand extremes of hot or cold. I'd love to visit the US, but the gun-toting locals there make it as a scary a prospect as Australia, the land of the venomous creatures.

I think my ideal would be the Scandinavian countries and Iceland, though the latter has no public transport system, which makes getting around very difficult.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iceland has perfectly functioning buses.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iceland is charming and civilized, thoroughly catering to the tourist. There are bus tours to just about everything worth seeing on the island, which is not large. You can also rent a car -- the roads are not busy. Be warned that like all islands things are not cheap there.

I have to divide out travel into the places I must go (Atlanta and California), the places I need to visit for professional reasons (Italy and France, at this moment) and places that I would like to go to. I have always wanted to do a (wussy and well-catered) pilgrim walk to Compostella. Surely I will get it together and visit the Holy Land someday? And then there is Antarctica...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Japan please: a month long holiday (or maybe longer) from Hokaido down to Kyushu - by train. Either in spring or autumn.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Iceland, and seeing the Northern Lights ...

... again. Yes, yes, yes! [Smile]

If money were no object (I can but dream!) Australia and New Zealand would be fairly high up my bucket-list, as would a return trip to Italy now I'm old enough to appreciate it: I was there on a school trip when I was 16, and thought it was all wonderful, but I think I'd probably enjoy it even more now.

I also miss the post-Easter mini-breaks we used to take to the Isle of Man, which is beautiful, quirky and blessed with many excellent eateries.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as Piglet has posted, may I suggest that Newfoundland is probably my favourite island. Been 3 times though it is cheaper to fly to Europe for us. There, all the men call me "buddy" and all the women "darling". Scenery lovely. Relatively unpopulated, good place for walking and staying in B&Bs. Recommend to rent a car and choose east or west coast. Cheaper than Ireland, which it resembles in friendliness, culture, music and beauty.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Seeing as Piglet has posted, may I suggest that Newfoundland is probably my favourite island... Recommend to rent a car and choose east or west coast.

If you plan to go to Newfoundland, arrange your travel in this order:
(1) first book your rental car
(2) then buy your plane ticket.

Since it is an island, the number of rental cars on it is finite, and EVERY tourist who goes there rents a car. This tip was given to us by a Newfie friend who goes back often to visit family. He was right, as evidenced by the lineups of unhappy people at the airport rental car desks.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
You have just described Tuscany

I had actually been thinking of Malta, and Croatia, and the Greek islands.

Somewhere Mediterranean, anyway, with warmth and sun, steeped in history, with friendly people and good food, and the chance to sit out on a balcony in the evening overlooking the sea, as the sun sets swiftly into it. A few small boats passing by; the air lightly scented with flowers, or thyme, and the timeless sound of the gentle waves on the beach below.

Shipmate
# 76

I'd quite like to go to Italy; Sorento appeals because of the proximity of Pompeii and Herculaeneum (or however they're spelled) - but not during the summer. Far too hot.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am hoping in a couple of months to visit Banff and Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. Another notion is to look for an inn-to-inn hiking visit to
Cape Breton.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Virginia is the spring when the hills are green and the dogwood is in bloom. To hot in the summer, and to cold in the winter but spring and fall beautiful.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually booked to see some of my current list this summer: Skara Brae and St Magnus cathedral, plus Inverness and Aberdeen so I can visit Stonehaven Harbour, from the Haggis Hunt, and Dunnattor Castle, which is one of my work laptop backgrounds (slide show of various UK sites) and one of two I haven't already visited.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I am hoping in a couple of months to visit Banff and Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. Another notion is to look for an inn-to-inn hiking visit to
Cape Breton.

Very crowded with tourists in the summer months. The Banff Jasper highway is the usual route for spectacular things. Yoho, Kooteney, Revelstoke are other national parks within reasonable distances, and Mount Robson provincial park (BC).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet: Thank you for the comment. At the end of May, I will not be surprised if there is still snow here and there, especially at higher altitudes, and this would deter some folks. If there are people around, perhaps the bears will leave us alone.

As usual, one of the main purposes of going on a trip is to get away from the little town in which I live.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I'd quite like to go to Italy; Sorento appeals because of the proximity of Pompeii and Herculaeneum (or however they're spelled) - but not during the summer. Far too hot.

We went a couple of years ago at the end of September. The weather was perfect. We were based in Sorrento and did trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum (which we both preferred), Capri, Naples archaeology museum and the Amalfi coast. We loved it all and really hope to go back.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
No Prophet: Thank you for the comment. At the end of May, I will not be surprised if there is still snow here and there, especially at higher altitudes, and this would deter some folks. If there are people around, perhaps the bears will leave us alone.

As usual, one of the main purposes of going on a trip is to get away from the little town in which I live.

Pick a sunny day for the Banff-Jasper Highway. The townsites and lower areas won't have snow. I have skied at the end of May at Sunshine many times (it's between Banff and Lake Louise).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
Japan please: a month long holiday (or maybe longer) from Hokaido down to Kyushu - by train. Either in spring or autumn.

This would be my Other Half's first choice and my second; his second choice (and my first) would be a month in Austria including Christmas. Either way, there's a just a gnat's whisker (if that) between first and second [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
We went a couple of years ago at the end of September. The weather was perfect. We were based in Sorrento and did trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum (which we both preferred), Capri, Naples archaeology museum and the Amalfi coast. We loved it all and really hope to go back.

One of my abiding memories is of taking the train from Sorrento to Pompeii - the thrill of actually being able to take a train to such a historic site! - and the journey along the coast with the beautiful view of the sea, the flowers along the way, and Vesuvius looming across the bay. Then getting off actually at Pompeii itself, and looking up at those tall walls, centuries old, and wandering through the streets. With a thousand other tourists. But still amazing. [Cool]
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were having lamb cutlets last night and I was pining for the terrace overlooking the sea, the sun setting, the cicadas shrilling in trees, a few lop-eared sheep bleating somewhere from the thyme-clad hillside, a few small skinny cats touring round your feet, a glass of Peloponnesian red at hand...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Virginia is the spring when the hills are green and the dogwood is in bloom. To hot in the summer, and to cold in the winter but spring and fall beautiful.

It's not all that hot in the mountains.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I am actually booked to see some of my current list this summer: Skara Brae and St Magnus cathedral

Orkney is magical, CK - don't forget to go to Skaill's House on your Skara Brae ticket!

If we ever get our act together to sort it out, this year we will be heading for the land of the ice and snow, to the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. Yes, Bejam... sorry, Iceland.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

One of the main problems is that I'm a temperate person. I can't stand extremes of hot or cold. I'd love to visit the US, but the gun-toting locals there make it as a scary a prospect as Australia, the land of the venomous creatures.

Don't forget you need to dodge the kangaroos hopping down our cities' main streets. Not to mention the drop bears and bunyips.

It would be years since I last saw a live snake outside.

However, my niece fished eight live funnel web spiders out of her swimming pool the other day. Funnel webs are more prevalent in certain areas od Sydney, so you could avoid those.

(Code fix)

[ 30. March 2016, 06:36: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will probably never visit Australia or New Zealand. There's only so many hours I can stand on a plane.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I will probably never visit Australia or New Zealand. There's only so many hours I can stand on a plane.

Don't they give you a seat?

Due to personal circumstances, I'm unlikely to be taking any long haul flights again. It'll be more Europe by train. I can live with that: I've been to North America and China and South Africa and it was all very memorable, but it doesn't have to exotic to be good.

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Our eldest daughter and family live in New Zealand and that is the only reason why we continue to endure those flights as we are finding it harder and harder to do more then 10 hours tops.

However, I have to say NZ is a wonderful country, stunning scenery, great food and we have met some really lovely people there. So I'd recommend it to anyone as long as you can cope with those flights.

I still have what I call *destinations in waiting* around the world but I don't know if I will ever manage to get there.

In June we are returning to one of our favourite places in the whole world, the Isles of Scilly.
I love that place!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
quote:

Alas we looked into it and it'd cost us a grand per person.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Firenze: Don't they give you a seat?
[Smile]

quote:
MrsBeaky: In June we are returning to one of our favourite places in the whole world, the Isles of Scilly.
I love that place!

You realise I'm still traumatised by the war we had with those islands?

[ 30. March 2016, 06:59: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Alas we looked into it and it'd cost us a grand per person.

Packages and tours can be horrendously expensive. But they do sound lovely; and if you don't mind spending literally hours on the internet and co-ordinating everything yourself you can put your own deal together.

It is hassle, though. It's one of the reasons why I haven't done that trip to Carcassonne, or the art gallery break in the Netherlands. Travelling is quite a lot more hassle than it used to be, in the days when you could just turn up with a flight bag at an airport and get a standby out to somewhere half an hour later.

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, my niece fished eight live funnel web spiders out of her swimming pool the other day. Funnel webs are more prevalent in certain areas od Sydney, so you could avoid those.
[Tangent] Were any of them useful for venom harvesting, Lothlorien? [/End tangent]

Booked my flights for October holiday today, to take advantage of a Qantas sale. Now for the planning of the bits between arrival and departure...

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kittyville: Now for the planning of the bits between arrival and departure...
Planning is overrated [Smile]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might well be right, LeRoc. The flights are in and out of Jozi. Is it Mozanbique you visit, or Angola, or both? What recommendations?
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
MrsBeaky: In June we are returning to one of our favourite places in the whole world, the Isles of Scilly.
I love that place!

You realise I'm still traumatised by the war we had with those islands?
Well I never knew that about Scilly!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kittyville: The flights are in and out of Jozi. Is it Mozanbique you visit, or Angola, or both? What recommendations?
I'm most often in Mozambique (will be there again next month). Are you planning to go to Angola? It isn't easy to get a tourist visa for that country.

South Africa has lots of beautiful places of course. I like Mozambique, but it's only a holiday destination if you're feeling adventurous (learn some Portuguese, try to speak with the local people).

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trans-Siberian Express, Interrailing around Europe, Japan, S. Korea, India (as a single woman I wouldn't though), as much of the US and Canada as I could see by train. Australia seems too hot for me but I would like to visit NZ (I know India would be hotter, but the food would make up for it). I would drink a lot of flat whites! Oh and green Spain around Galicia and the Basque country.

Sipech, the Pacific Northwest and New England are AFAIK all fairly liberal parts of the US, and moderate weather-wise.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger I could rough it, but now I really need amenities. I won't camp, and I do need to know that I can sleep in a bed when I arrive. I am forced to build in extra days to accommodate time changes, otherwise I am brain-dead. I need my meals regular, or blood sugar dangerously dips. And so now I plan trips carefully.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Orkney is magical, CK - don't forget to go to Skaill's House on your Skara Brae ticket!

If we ever get our act together to sort it out, this year we will be heading for the land of the ice and snow, to the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. Yes, Bejam... sorry, Iceland.

Sandemaniac, you have such good taste. [Overused]

We should be in Orkney at some point this summer; we haven't quite sussed out our itinerary yet as we have to fit in D's niece's wedding in the south of England at either the beginning or the end and work in the rest of our time round that.

My sister and her family have just been up there and they did Skara Brae and Skaill House (my nephew's fiancée is new to Orkney). They thoroughly enjoyed it, and said there's now a replica Skara Brae house that's new since they last went there.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
When I was younger I could rough it, but now I really need amenities. I won't camp, and I do need to know that I can sleep in a bed when I arrive. I am forced to build in extra days to accommodate time changes, otherwise I am brain-dead. I need my meals regular, or blood sugar dangerously dips. And so now I plan trips carefully.

I don't camp (but I am glamping at Greenbelt this year, if anyone wants to join me). I need a bed at least some of the time, and some warmth. Otherwise it isn't a holiday for me, it is an ordeal.

I have come to accept that I will probably never make NZ or Aus. Probably applies to the Far East too. I don't like flying at all, but occasionally manage shorter distances. The problem is, it takes me days to settle and calm down again. That might be OK going over, but I can rarely take the time when I return.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where to go?

Short haul (no haul really) - Pembrokeshire in either late Spring or September.

Long haul - French Polynesia, especially Tahiti or if the 'plane didn't go that far, Noumea capital of New Caledonia.

(Code fix)

[ 30. March 2016, 20:05: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I'd love to visit the US, but the gun-toting locals there make it as a scary a prospect as Australia, the land of the venomous creatures.

I don't know how scary Australia is, but I've never been afraid to live or travel in the US. Stay in states without open-carry laws and you won't see anyone toting a gun who isn't a cop or a Brinks truck guard.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It is hassle, though. It's one of the reasons why I haven't done that trip to Carcassonne, or the art gallery break in the Netherlands. Travelling is quite a lot more hassle than it used to be, in the days when you could just turn up with a flight bag at an airport and get a standby out to somewhere half an hour later.

That's true in general, but the Netherlands might be doable.

I stayed in Rotterdam for 5 days after a work conference in the Netherlands (in Middelburg, well worth a visit itself)a few years ago. It's got a fair collection of galleries itself, but also, being a transport hub in a smallish country lots of places are reachable from one base. I can highly recommend the Dutch train network and crucially you don't have to book ahead to get cheap tickets.

I've always wanted to go to Iceland for the Northern Lights too, sadly foiled by a lack of cash, or a tour of southern Spain.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Thank you all for your nice remarks about the Netherlands.

I haven't lived there for a while, but I think it would most certainly be doable to get a cheap hotel at a nice nature location, a 20 min train ride away from the centre of Amsterdam.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

It is hassle, though. It's one of the reasons why I haven't done that trip to Carcassonne

You have a car. Get a friend who can drive. Head for the Dover-Calais ferry. Stop somewhere north of Paris the first night. Aim to go through Paris at the weekend when the traffic on the orbital is much lighter. Limoges is a good stop off for the second night. Following day, you can make Languedoc. The other advantage of a car is that you can drive back with a bootfull of perfectly stunning reds of Corbiere which you will never find in the UK and which will warm your winters for years to come.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016