homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What makes a bedroom?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What makes a bedroom?
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the bed, though they can be subject to a variety of constructions, such as the sheet of chipboard supported by similar height chests of drawers, upon which rested my mattress.* The tunnel thus formed provided inaccessible storage for various items and a maternity wing for the cat.

Other must-haves include a padded wall-mounted thingy for me to lean against as I read in bed, candles and a peace lily. And a lap tray.

*Optional extras - though purely at their whim, not mine - are the cats. Also, age and arthritis now prevent the clambering onto over-height beds, so it's back to the norm.

I forgot the TV. I switch it on when changing the bedlinen, matching socks, etc.

Bearing in mind that a bedroom can be shared space for functions as well as people, what makes a bedroom for other shippies?

(Hoping this provides enough variety of discussion to placate hosts.)

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a fan of windows. Ideally with trees on the other side of them, but sky would do.
I do demand a firm supportive mattress and sheets of a natural fiber.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Closets/wardrobes. A ceiling fan for those hot nights (most older homes in the Seattle area do not have air conditioning), as well as a window to open. Pegs for hanging clothes and hats. Alarm clock(s). And a ledge or table near the bead for my CPAP machine.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A really comfortable bed, not shared with anything or anyone, mine alone. Electric blanket when needed.

A window that admits sunlight either in the morning or in the evening, I don't mind which although it's a great way to start the day. A good view.

Books. No television, just books. A radio so I can listen to the World Service in the small hours. Other than that, it should be quiet without external noise.

Candles and a good reading light. A decent soft carpet underfoot. Enough room for clothes to be stored without going into horrendous creases.

And an interesting picture on the wall across from the bed, the sort of scene you want to explore.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A warm body to put your cold feet on
A cat to curl up in the crook of your knee
A dog to compete with the cat for your affection
But, most, someone worth getting up for
To bring her coffee in the morning
and a newspaper to share on the bed

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I talk about my bedroom, it's the one in Brazil. It has rather big ventilation slits above the windows and it's on the slope of a hill close by the sea, which means that I don't need air conditioning [Yipee] The only thing is: I needed to learn to become friendly with bats.

For the rest, I prefer not to have too much stuff in the bedroom. A wardrobe, a painting above the bed, a small bed table to put a glass of water on. And very importantly, hooks in the walls for my hammock, which I sometimes prefer instead of a bed.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could assemble Best Bits from all the bedrooms I've slept in I suppose.

If so, I would have the view over the sea - but without the draughts and the door giving on to the communal stair. I would have the wood panelling on the walls and ceiling - but without the other beds and the woman with the mental health issues. It would be spacious and sunny - but with heating I didn't have to put shillings in a meter for. The bed would be vast and incredibly comfortable, but I wouldn't have to go to Portugal, and similarly the adjoining marble and tile bathroom would be closer than China.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Bearing in mind that a bedroom can be shared space for functions as well as people, what makes a bedroom for other shippies?

Well, I don't usually hold functions in my bedroom.

Apart from the bed, I'll go with blackout curtains (otherwise I'm woken at hideous o'clock by the sun in the summer). Some kind of horizontal surface by the bed, containing clock, lamp, notepad and pen, big stack of books and space for a cup of tea. Carpet (I'm not a fan of hard flooring in bedrooms).

Preferably no TV, no phone, no electronics. I prefer not to use a bedroom as a multi-function living space.

Preferably ambient air temperature on the cool side of comfortable, thick duvet.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parent's room doubled as a sick room when I was growing up. The head of the bed was against the east wall, the TV was set up on the west wall, and there was a large mirror on the south wall, which happened to pick up the reflection of the TV. And that came in real handy when you were so sick that you couldn't even sit up to watch TV- you could still see your program in the mirror when lying on your side.

That may not make a bedroom, but it was serendipitous bedroom design, that's for sure.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with some people on this thread that I prefer to use my bedroom only for one thing. (Well, two actually.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So. Anyone for four-poster beds, futons, revolving beds, waterbeds?

Let your imagination run riot for a bit. Candelabras, Moroccan lanterns, mirrors on the ceiling? Damask tapestries, an en-suite bathroom?

Upstairs or ground floor?

Huge leafy green plants, to make you feel as if you're in a forest? Warm earth tones for decor? A restful blue colour scheme? Vivid red?

Would you have a theme? Football, Doctor Who, Harry Potter? A particular historical era?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hail damage led to siding replacement at my house, and we took the opportunity to pop in windows. I now have daylight on three of the four walls. Massive closets. The walls are painted robin's egg blue, and because it is on the upper level on a heavily treed lot it is something like a large luxurious tree house. I crammed in rather too many rugs (my parents suddenly presented me with two large orientals, because they were moving to assisted living) but otherwise it is perfect.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: Huge leafy green plants, to make you feel as if you're in a forest?
This may seem strange, but I don't have plants in my house. The main reason is that I'm travelling a lot, so I couldn't take care of them.

My windows are shutters, no glass. When I open them, there are plants everywhere. (And a family of tamarin monkeys [Smile] )

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Let your imagination run riot for a bit. Candelabras, Moroccan lanterns, mirrors on the ceiling? Damask tapestries, an en-suite bathroom?

Upstairs or ground floor?

Huge leafy green plants, to make you feel as if you're in a forest? Warm earth tones for decor? A restful blue colour scheme? Vivid red?

Would you have a theme? Football, Doctor Who, Harry Potter? A particular historical era?

If we can go nuts, I'd go for a second floor with a balcony overlooking the ocean, screen doors to let breezes in, a nice in-suite bathroom with a largish tub jetted tub with mountain view window,and nice shower, and a mini-fridge / coffee maker combo so that I can have a cup of coffee on my balcony at the beginning of the day and a shower beer at the end of it.

Oh, and a door that locks. Nothing better than locking a door behind you at the end of the day and knowing that no one can bug you until you decide to come out.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Og, King of Bashan: and a mini-fridge
I hope they can make those rather silent these days. (I often turn the fridge off in hotel rooms.)

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bed that is not too soft and not to0 hard but just right. I think Goldie Locks had the same need.
A dog in her own little bed to stand guard.
A door that opens on to a deck.
A ceiling fan to be used winter and summer.
A nice reading chair and lamp.
Dresser
Some interesting restful art.
Nothing else. No TV or computers, no not ever.

[ 05. April 2016, 21:22: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have vitreous tile floor tiles throughout the house except for the bathrooms which have concrete tiles which don't get slippery. Every bedroom has an en-suite bathroom. Big mirrored wardrobes, some of my own photos blown up and framed on the walls, a 5 foot [1.5 metre] wide bed in case friends drop in but that otherwise just suits me and the various teddies [& other soft toys] that might join me there.

I also have a small desk in the corner and a couple of bedside cabinets. I also have a couple of ridiculously comfortable cane chairs.

My new room, when it is built, will be rectangular rather than square and will end up fractionally larger, will also include several metres of bookshelf - about 27 metres, I think. It will also mean that I end up with sole access to the balcony, which I shall have fly-screened and where I might well sleep much of the year - night or day, I don't mind, I'm a fan of sleep.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have said - just a bed (plus small bedside table for my glasses and book) - but now I've read this thread, a window and a ceiling fan are also instrumental in making a (to me) most pleasant room to sleep in. My current bedroom, I have a new apartment, also has a small dressing table with a mirror attached, but that fits behind the door in the entrance alcove, so I don't have to look at it. I do look out of the window from time to time down to the pool and small garden below, and that is very pleasant. I also like the freshly, but amateurishly, painted citrus coloured walls.
ETA: umpteen pillows, a bolster - or 'leg-over pillow' as I like to call it - and a padded headboard for sitting up and reading. My last bed had a twirly decorative metal headboard; it looked nice, but it was useless for sitting up in bed.

[ 07. April 2016, 12:59: Message edited by: crunt ]

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bed (with three duvets for optimal temperature choice) and a bedside table with bits and pieces and a radio on - is all.

Definitely no TV or screens of any kind - they don't help sleep.

Wardrobes and all that nonsense go in the spare room.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is important to have no electronics in the room. Nor any work related stuff, except for books which pervade the house and about which nothing can be done. I keep a pen and paper but not by the bed, so that I have to get up to write anything down, and the paper is very small, so that I am forced to wrote only notes to myself and not become prolix.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is important to have no electronics in the room.
What if the devices in question don't work? [Smile]

I have 18 oscilloscopes (amongst other useful things) in the house at the mo - most of which have made their way into the front room. I'm going to an electronics jumble on Sunday, where I will try to sell this gear (proceeds to Christian Aid) to all the trendy , beautiful engineers who will no doubt be present.

I include myself in the implied mockery.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Bed
  • Window for light and fresh air
  • Essential oils and oil burner for nice smells
  • Lots of pillows, and a big bean bag for when I want to sit up in bed
  • Bedside lamp
  • Bedside table for glasses, cup of tea, phone, bedside lamp
  • Electric sockets for bedside lamp and charging Kindle, phone, iPad, laptop
  • Kindle and iPad under one of my pillows

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It is important to have no electronics in the room.

/Tangent alert:/

I was at a theatrical performance the other night. Before the show the announcement was made to "Switch off all personal electronic devices". I had visions of people collapsing as their pacemakers were switched off, listening with cupped ears as they couldn't use their hearing aids ... /Tangent ends/

I agree - although my wife has an e-book reader (which cannot access the Internet). I suppose that's permissible, although I prefer paper books.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
Essential oils and oil burner for nice smells.

No smellies, thank you. My wife sometimes sprays lavender oil onto her pillow, "to help her sleep". It stops me from sleeping!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bed with firm mattress
Lamp with gradual fade function so it switches off after I've fallen asleep reading
Radio alarm clock
Table on which to place watch and spectacles
A chair so if one is ill a visitor can sit to chat
Everything else tidied away in draws and cupboards

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Nobody up for four-posters, water mattresses, rotating beds, floor to ceiling mirrored wardrobes, fireplaces, skylights, bell pulls to summon servants? Not even a simple trap door or garderobe? Ah well.
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
Essential oils and oil burner for nice smells.

No smellies, thank you. My wife sometimes sprays lavender oil onto her pillow, "to help her sleep". It stops me from sleeping!
Ah, well, I have my bedroom to myself so I can have what I want in it.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"Chacun ą son gout" [Cool]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we're in the process of decluttering chez Piglet for selling, the main bedroom is being minimalised. Having cleared out an unconscionable amount of bruck*, the place already looks twice the size it was. What will eventually remain will be:

Bed with correct number of small bears
Comfy chair with large bear
Two bedside tables with lamps
Bookshelf
Wardrobe, dressing-table and laundry-basket

bruck n. Orcadian word for rubbish

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Is there an international rubric which establishes and assesses the "correct number of small bears"? Has it been debated in the hallowed halls of the League of Nations? Or is this specific to Newfoundland?

We need to be told. [Devil]

[ 01. May 2016, 07:24: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four. We all have forebears.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being as both of us are arm injury survivors we each have a little Boston Terrier stuffed dog - perfect height for the orthopedic issues when clutched. There is also a plush kea (NZ mountain parrot) for days of when I need support on the forearm as well

Am experimenting with using head-torch instead of reading lamp.

Side table has a tiny photo of Mum c.1950, Dad's Swiss Army Knife c. 1970, hand a foot lotions. And a rosary for if I am desperate. "Current reading" on the shelf underneath

Second-most important ... 3 directional air flow via 2 screened windows and the door.
Outside is a bush which has flowers that smell of honey and a jasmine.

MOST IMPORTANT of ALL... is Dear Partner's C-PAP anti-snoring machine on a sweet little custom-made shelf above "his side". Without that there would be blood on the bed-linen every morning, if not a corpse!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody else got religious accoutrements within grasp or glance?

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old CD player with a dusty stack of Asher quin CDs next to it.
Don't always get the desire to listen to music when going off to sleep, but sometimes reading doesn't quite cut it.

A glass of water on my partner's side of the bed and the alarm clock , which I nearly always get up and switch off before it activates.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

[Yipee] [Overused]

Not enough room in ours for a chair, nice as it would be. The clutter on my side of the bed is appalling, usually books, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, landline, lamp, box of cuff links etc, leaflets, receipts, and so on. Never any bookmarks, though...

Minimum - bed, lamp, radio alarm, wardrobe, bedside table for books and other paraphernalia (describes my bedroom when I lived in Brussels on my own). Mirror optional, large windows compulsory.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Nobody else got religious accoutrements within grasp or glance?

There has to be a Bible and a novel within reach.

Plus a cat to curl up at the bottom of the bed. This is essential.

What I wish I could get rid of is the alarm clock [Waterworks]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You can on this thread. This is about your ideal bedroom.

While I think of it, mine would need a door that opens onto a balcony. And I don't mean one of those wretched juliette balcony things either.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's a question: daylight. Should the bedroom be closely curtained and therefore dark, or not? I would have said yes for many years, but now I don't object to being awakened by daylight.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have removed all curtains and shades from my bedroom windows, no neighbors, so I can go to sleep viewing the stars and wake up to the sun.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Nobody up for four-posters, water mattresses, rotating beds, floor to ceiling mirrored wardrobes, fireplaces, skylights, bell pulls to summon servants? Not even a simple trap door or garderobe? Ah well.

If we can go nuts, I want:

A bed
A device to prevent Certain People from snoring me out the window
A dedicated invisible servant to clean up all the crap that mysteriously finds its way onto the bed and every other surface (seriously, those aren't MY stuffed animals, and I never left the phone there, nor yet the random socks)
A skylight or three, for enjoyment of trees and thunderstorms
Somebody to keep the freaking skylights CLEAN and the place dusted, and to put all the books I admit accumulating back in the library
No window draperies and no nosy neighbors either
A freaking lock
An electrical outlet OUTSIDE my freaking door so the kids aren't always running a surge suppressor into my room to power their tablets off of (incidentally forcing the door to stay open, which permits all kinds of "Mom, could you...?" requests through the door crack as I vainly attempt to take a nap
A whine-proof door and a wine-full glass on a table next to me as I enjoy a long-awaited novel with NO CRISES going on outside!

ETA: religious accoutrements: The Bible will be in the bookstack, of course, along with God in the Dark and a few others.

[ 02. May 2016, 01:44: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

[Big Grin]

As it happens, that is the correct number (there are three, and one of them has a little bear of his own, for a total of four bears). [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Should the bedroom be closely curtained?

Yes, especially in the summer when it starts getting light at silly o'clock.

Our bedroom gets a fair bit of early-morning sun, and when we had the windows replaced we bought some "black-out" curtains. They don't keep out absolutely all the light, but they do a good enough job (and much better than the old beat-up Venetian blinds we used to have).

[ 02. May 2016, 03:06: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016