homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coffee Machines (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Coffee Machines
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to laugh at George Clooney and his Nespresso ads. "Ha Ha Ha", I said to myself, "I will never consume coffee in this expensive and over-packaged way. You are a damn fool, George Clooney, a damn fool... but I did like your turn in O Brother Where Art Thou, a film that bought Bluegrass music and Gillian Welsh into my life. I'll give you that, but I've got my eye on you."

Then, my mother-in-law bought a cheap machine from Aldi, not realising that it only made short blacks, and she didn't like short blacks. I like short blacks, and I'm not talking about James Brown here. How the hell did he get up off of that thing in those heels?

So she gave me the coffee machine, and I got a good two years out of it before it sprung a major leak and has to be shot. I decided that I wouldn't buy another Aldi machine, because there was no Aldi near me, so I bought one from my local supermarket.

Now, maybe a year later, the tray where you put the pod is getting sticky, so sticky that it took all of my caffeine-deprived strength to pull it open. I can see that in the very near future, I am going to either have to replace this machine or go back to plungers.

At present I drink flat whites, but I don't mean Tilda Swinton, who did a great turn in one of my favourite films, Orlando, all the way back in 1992. I heat up maybe a third of a cup of milk, then pour the short black from the machine into the cup. It is heavenly, but it costs $13AUD for 10 pods, and about $100 for the machine. For $13 I'd have 500 grams of top quality ground coffee and some change, or 500 grams of feel-good free trade coffee that is eminently drinkable. Don't go back to the early 2000's and get the free trade instant coffee. The guy in charge of supplies at my theology school did that. The stuff was poison. I switched to tea. The machine (ie plunger) costs maybe $2AUD and only breaks if you drop it on a floor that doesn't have cork tiles on it. We have cork tiles, and I have plungers for every occasion.

So from a cost perspective, and a moral perspective, plunger free trade coffee is the way to go. Coffee has been a moral issue from day one. Apart from the whole taking people's lives and land thing, the actual slavery on the plantations, and the economic slavery of the last few centuries.... I'm not going to get into that, I think it's a given that the production of coffee has been morally indefensible for centuries.

I am sitting here with my empty coffee cup beside me. When I sniff I get a whiff of that sublime milk coffee smell. I have no idea what I am going to do.

[ 06. April 2016, 02:21: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you near a stove? Moka pots are very cheap, can use bulk bought ground coffee of your choice and create espresso like coffee which can easily be mixed with hot milk.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use an Aeropress and find it makes the best coffee possible. Not cheap for what it is, and it does use a lot of ground coffee per cup (15g - which is perhaps why it tastes so good). Tassimo manage to get a half decent cup out of 2/3 of the amount of coffee, but then you have to throw away a chunk of plastic and foil every time, which bothers me. Yes it gets recycled, but it's still waste.

[edit for typos]

[ 06. April 2016, 04:32: Message edited by: Humble Servant ]

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use a stove-top pot, and but fair-trade ground coffee. Nice coffee, ethical qualms sated, and price is reasonable, I think (I don't calculate the price but I buy my coffee in bulk. About £50 for 12 packs, and I get 10 cups per pack maybe. I like my coffee strong).

The pot is cheap (£15 - £20) and reliable (no moving parts). And the coffee is good.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to answer this without becoming Heavenly, but I use this Italian percolator-thingy.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just ordered one of These stainless steel refillable pods for exactly the reasons you describe (the pod machine is expensive, environmentally crap but makes lovely coffee). Will let you know how well it works when it arrives.
Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
It's hard to answer this without becoming Heavenly

Nespresso-like, let me make this easier for y'all. What else?

/hosting

[ 06. April 2016, 07:55: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son uses one of these by Rocket. It makes amazing coffee.

I can't afford one!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an instant coffee drinker, I have started to ask questions about what constitutes good coffee, with the aspiration of becoming able to offer hospitality to those who are connoisseurs.

One keen coffee drinker of my acquaintance has a coffee machine (a gift) which is mostly unused (except when the giver comes to visit). He swears by both plungers (cafetieres) and even more by the Aeropress, but says the vital step is to grind the beans (selected for their quality) within 10 minutes of making the coffee. Anything else to him is substandard due to evaporation of flavour. And both the type of beans, and the grind, are different for the Aeropress versus the plunger.

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'pod' systems all tend to make my environmental conscience very twitchy, leaving aside the rapacious cost.

Mrs Snags and I have therefore offered for fair trade ground coffee and a filter machine. Previously we had a filter machine that also did espresso, but I'm not a huge espresso drinker, and am too lazy to mess about with it for each cup, so something that makes 10 cups/5 mugs of pleasant coffee in one hit is a boon.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We buy fair trade coffee and have two presses - a massive one for when we have visitors and a small one for when it's just us. Frankly, I'd just get a press. The coffee's fine, not fancy, but it is good coffee. There's not much waste, no complicated washing up and the glass beakers can be replaced if they break.

I won't have one of those pod things as the pods can't be recycled and they don't biodegrade. And it's Nestle. I don't buy Nestle. [Razz] As well as blooming expensive and a space hog. (My kitchen is tiny. I have the only Manse in the world with a tiny kitchen!)

Tubbs

[ 06. April 2016, 10:39: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've 3 different sized cafetieres, plus an old stove-top percolator. One of the children informs me that when camping he uses an ordinary jug and puts the coffee in an old sock [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely as we are discussing coffee, which is an evil and highly addictive substance this thread belongs in Hell!

Also, it gives me migraines, which may not be addictive but are certainly evil!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I've 3 different sized cafetieres, plus an old stove-top percolator. One of the children informs me that when camping he uses an ordinary jug and puts the coffee in an old sock [Eek!]

The French expression for horrible, weak coffee is jus de chaussette (sock juice). Makes me wonder if this is of WW1 origin.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Surely as we are discussing coffee, which is an evil and highly addictive substance this thread belongs in Hell!

Also, it gives me migraines, which may not be addictive but are certainly evil!

No it doesn't. Definately heavenly. (The coffee not the migranes. Those are grim. [Frown] )

Tubbs

[ 06. April 2016, 11:39: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before you toss the old machine, give it a good clean. All the stickiness near the pod holder could be cleaned out. Cotton swabs dipped in vinegar. The internal piping can be cleaned by running more vinegar right through the machine. Rinse with a full load of plain water. You can also buy proprietary cleaners for your machine (google on it for names) which are quite cheap -- a bottle here costs $3.
My husband uses a French press at home for the two of us. For larger meetings we have a Mr. Coffee-style machine that makes ten cups. He is in computers, and once worked at an office where they simply plumbed the machine into the water supply of the building. Coffee essentially flowed from a tap. He drank ten cups a day, until he developed an ulcer and cut back.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a Bunn, which uses the filtration method, but stays plugged in and on all the time, so that you always have hot water, and can get a cup of coffee in less than a minute.

Honestly, I don't need it that fast, and it is probably a slightly higher draw on my electric bill (can't imagine more than a few dollars a month, but it's something), but it looks better on the counter than a Mr. Coffee, so I suspect that's why it has stayed.

I am the only coffee drinker in our house, so I am frequently tempted to just get a plunger for myself, but I suspect it would be perceived as another gadget that we don't need in our already crowded kitchen. Maybe if I offer to toss the Bunn?

As for the pods, I can't stand them. It's probably part that the landlords at the office buy cut-rate pods, but it just is a bit too grocery store coffee for me.

My preferred bean is clean, light bodied, lightly acidic, and slightly nutty. The bean itself shouldn't be oily. This generally means a bean from the Americas. I was trying to stick to my continent, but the shop where I go has a nicely priced Brazilian bean that really hits the spot.

My parents like the opposite kind of bean- a dark, oily, acidic, complex, probably Indonesian bean. They went to Costa Rica, and I excitedly asked them about the coffee at the plantation where they did a tour. My dad said it was OK, but complained that it didn't taste like anything. Sounds heavenly to me.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get ready ground, and like the Cafe Direct Machu Picchu coffee (a hint of chocolate - mmm). But I alternate this with their espresso which if stronger (and a finer grind for my espresso maker).

I am not a coffee snob. I drink instant at work (it is either that or buy my own, and I am a cheapskate). But given that I can make my own, it may as well be nice.

A friend came round the other day and had a coffee. I asked her how strong she wanted it and she replied "as strong as you have it". So she got something like a 6 shot latte. I think she has stopped buzzing now.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One small technical improvement that gets you a difference you can taste is to grind whole beans with a burr grinder. We switched grinders and the flavor is discernibly more nuanced and delicate.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been a tea drinker for most of my life, but about thirty years ago started drinking (very bad) coffee at work to keep me awake. I'm a morning person and ended up working the 3:00-11:00pm shift.

For years I've had a filter coffee maker that got pulled out for company and holiday dinners. Then, when I was recovering from surgery, I stayed with a friend who has a pod coffee maker. It was so easy! No mess! No fuss! So I had to get one for my home. Now I use it almost every day (after my morning tea, which is made properly, of course) and find it is a nice addition to my regular routine.

I have no idea about the difference between nice and nasty coffee, I just know I like it dark and strong enough for the spoon to stand up in it.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

The French expression for horrible, weak coffee is jus de chaussette (sock juice). Makes me wonder if this is of WW1 origin.
Quotes file! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
Tassimo manage to get a half decent cup out of 2/3 of the amount of coffee, but then you have to throw away a chunk of plastic and foil every time, which bothers me. Yes it gets recycled, but it's still waste.

An espresso added to an americano = perfect strength.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Brenda Clough: the flavor is discernibly more nuanced and delicate.
Ooh, I get to brag again!

For the best coffee in the world, go to the Serra do Caparaó in Brazil. Pick, roast and grind the arabica beans yourself, in situ. The earliest possible morning, use a filter made of natural fibres to pour yourself a hot cup. Drink it slowly, while watching the clouds rise over the mountains.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when coffee was a milky drink made with this stuff.. Powdered instant coffee appeared in our house in the early 60s - I think my mother had the same solidifying jar for a couple of decades. For a time, we children introduced one of those perculators that bubbled and spat (and which, I discovered 30 years later, were still standard kit in a rented gite). But mostly we ran on freeze-dried granules. Mr Firenze introduced me to filter coffee and our life together has been marked by a procession of coffee machines - obsolete jugs from which still turn up in odd corners of the house. Latterly, we have become fancy, with an espresso machine and, recently, a burr grinder.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband and I arrived in Liverpool in September, 1966, en route to Belfast. We had time before the Belfast ship left, so we went into a restaurant and ordered coffee.

The beverage they brought us bore no resemblance to any coffee we'd ever seen. We wondered if they'd misunderstood us. In Belfast we got used to being served this strange beverage, which was made by pouring boiling milk over instant coffee crystals. [Projectile]

Fortunately, we had brought a percolator with us from America.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I remember Camp Coffee as my Dad loved it!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Camp coffee - made with cold milk - always reminds me (and my wife) of summer picnics in the garden. We like it on hot days, but wouldn't drink it at any other time (we drink lots of "proper" coffee though). Most church instant coffee deserves to be anathematised.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

My mum had a long-lasting bottle of Camp coffee. I am not sure we ever drank it, it was more used for flavouring cakes etc.

We tended to drink tea, at least until we had instant coffee granules.

And then my kids don't drink ordinary tea or coffee at all. Which I find very strange. I know this is not uncommon in the younger generation - is the nation of tea drinkers going to become a nation of water drinkers?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
My mum had a long-lasting bottle of Camp coffee. I am not sure we ever drank it, it was more used for flavouring cakes etc.

We tended to drink tea, at least until we had instant coffee granules.

And then my kids don't drink ordinary tea or coffee at all. Which I find very strange. I know this is not uncommon in the younger generation - is the nation of tea drinkers going to become a nation of water drinkers?

Yes, we rarely drank coffee as far as I remember. Out of my 3 sons and 3 daughters in law only 1 drinks coffee. All of them drink tea, but mostly of the green leaf, peppermint or decaf [Eek!] variety. All will mostly drink only filtered or bottled water [Roll Eyes] . They don't know they're born, as my Nan used to say!
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Most church instant coffee deserves to be anathematised.

Indeed. After our Sunday service a large proportion of the congregation can be found in the local coffee establishment.

Here at Casa Nen we have only instant decaffeinated coffee and decaffeinated tea bags on offer. This means that going out for coffee (a duty I undertake on a regular basis to ensure the wellbeing of my family and friends) is a real treat and it wouldn't be so special if we had a machine at home. Our daughter and son in law have a coffee machine and it seems to take up an inordinate amount of kitchen surface space and maintenance. At work we have a jug and a plunger and allow ourselves one brew a day (Fair Trade, of course) unless things are particularly frantic and we're desperate!

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

I won't have one of those pod things as the pods can't be recycled and they don't biodegrade.

Tubbs

Specialist recycling.. But it's still recycling, which is quite far down the waste hierarchy - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Certainly a candidate for reducing and then composting the used grounds!
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I have just potted out a chilli plant I am growing from seed [Eek!] using used coffee grounds.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur that Camp Coffee is OK for cakes.

As for the younger generation not drinking tea or coffee, while my children do most of their friends don't drink any hot drinks at all; a quick ask around and it transpired that the only ones who did (a) had older parents and/or (b) had done Duke of Edinburgh expeditions (or similar) where you need a hot drink after 12+ hours in the wet Brecon Beacons or wherever.

Another use for coffee grounds is around hostas - slugs don't seem to like coffee; leaf tea remains are splendid for azaleas.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'O:

Thanks for the tip re: coffee grounds around hostas! Will definitely try it.

BTW, just recently found a plastic thing-y to use in pod coffee machines. You fill it with ground cofee, close its lid and put it where the expensive non-recyclable pod would go. though it's plastic and non-recyclable, it will last for a long time (at least I hope so), and it seems to be working very well.
(Sorry I don't remember the brand name, and I've thrown away the packaging!) [Frown]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Depends what you mean by younger generation. At work our lot love their tea and coffee. They do also like their herbal and fruit teas, but it's a rare one who doesn't like a hot drink.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Brenda Clough: the flavor is discernibly more nuanced and delicate.
Ooh, I get to brag again!

For the best coffee in the world, go to the Serra do Caparaó in Brazil. Pick, roast and grind the arabica beans yourself, in situ. The earliest possible morning, use a filter made of natural fibres to pour yourself a hot cup. Drink it slowly, while watching the clouds rise over the mountains.

Dear. God.

Does it make you feel good, inducing mass jealousy like that? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having dabbled in all kinds of coffee makers, I've just acquired a second-hand pod machine to see how it goes. Any views on DIY pods, either refillable or disposable?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having dabbled in all kinds of coffee makers, I've just acquired a second-hand pod machine to see how it goes. Any views on DIY pods, either refillable or disposable?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment I am in love with my Moka pot and my milk heater/frother.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
An espresso added to an americano = perfect strength.

Ask for an Americano with an extra shot, this is exactly what you will get. I am afraid my morning coffee is a double espresso with and extra shot then about a shot volume of water. I guess it is a strong black.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The number of flavors available in pod form is just about infinite. It is a nice way to shop around and try different brands/flavors/roasts. You don't have to commit to an entire packet of beans, but try sampler boxes of pods. Once you fix on a favorite or two, you can probably acquire the coffee in a larger cheaper format and use the refillable thingy.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhh - vendor lock-in with coffee.

I remember when work used Flavia... very useful for ensuring there was always a supply (swipe a few of the fave pouches).

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Nespresso, we tried buying the pods and filling them with high-quality ground coffee, but it never worked well. The coffee always came out much too weak. We think they must add some chemical something or other to the ones you buy.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
instant coffee deserves to be anathematised.

FIFY

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Indeed. After our Sunday service a large proportion of the congregation can be found in the local coffee establishment.

Here at Casa Nen we have only instant decaffeinated coffee and decaffeinated tea bags on offer.

Ye gods! How do you manage to do anything before midday?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Here at Casa Nen we have only instant decaffeinated coffee and decaffeinated tea bags on offer.

Ye gods! How do you manage to do anything before midday?
[Killing me]
Padrehuw
Apprentice
# 18557

- Posted      Profile for Padrehuw   Email Padrehuw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a serious coffee addiction. So much so that I have several solutions for making good coffee, from a stainless steel press (no breakages when in remote locations, and it's insulated) to a handpresso I use to produce fantastic espessos in the wilderness.

However I was banned (by the long haired general) from getting a pod device because of the environmental considerations - and they are huge if you consider aluminium production, waste and landfill.

However, being a practical woman, she instead bought me a Gaggia Classic for not much more than the cost of a pod machine. It is wonderful and I use it regularly.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship Padrehuw; we can always do with more serious caffeine addicts.

The rules are few and simple and to be found under the link to 10 Commandments. The Crew are few and always ready to help...

Happy sailing.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gaggia is good.

But we're happy with our simple cafetiere (used several times each day).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I very rarely make coffee unless we're entertaining, but for my 40th birthday a friend in Belfast gave me one of these little green chaps, so if I do, he's what I use.

D. thinks he's hideous, but I think he's rather cute, in an alien sort of way. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016