homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Interesting miscellany (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Interesting miscellany
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet it went very, very quiet [Snigger]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I drove a different way in to work today, to try to avoid some road construction on my regular route. On the way, I saw a gate across a driveway, bearing the sign; "Gate Must Be Kept Locked At All Times."

Now, my literalist nature instantly thought: "Well, that rather defeats the purpose of a gate. Why not just put up a fence?"

Of course, my common sense then pointed out that the sign did not mean what it said, but that explaining that "the gate is to be unlocked only by authorized personnel to allow vehicles in or out and then the gate is to be immediately re-locked" was really a bit much to put on a sign.

But these things bother me. The sign, as written, is nonsense.

Oh, and then there turned out to be road construction on this new route as well. Delaware's Dept. of Transportation is devoted to the concept that roadways should be a complete impediment to travel.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We once had insurance for our caravan that said the wheel clamp had to be on and locked at all times. I phoned them up and asked if that really meant it had to be clamped while it was being towed. They said yes.

We changed our insurer.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like signs at supermarkets which say, "Parent and child parking".

I always expect to see a father and a couple of children disconsolately standing by the signpost while mum is busy going round the store.

This is even better - but do they expect folk to lie down in the space?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
A good friend sent me this link. Knowing my involvement with the Ship, he thought it might be of interest to Shipmates.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of road signs, I've just passed a road on the way past an airport, clearly the site of much speeding, that reads:
"Remember: This is a motorway, not a runway."

It certainly makes it point memorably.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During a time when so much bad stuff is going on with law enforcement, etc. I was delighted to hear that one group of inmates broke out of their cell to save the life of a guard who collapsed.
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha on What is the strangest thing you saw this week?:

An artist is sued because he claims he did not paint.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
During a time when so much bad stuff is going on with law enforcement, etc. I was delighted to hear that one group of inmates broke out of their cell to save the life of a guard who collapsed.
[Overused]

I hope the inmates got some consideration on the length of their sentences.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The internet is good for pictures of cute vertebrates. Even some of the arthropods have got a look in the cute division.

The banana slug rarely gets a mention. Pretty interesting page here about a not-very-pretty animal. Squeamish shipmates, use caution before clicking.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sigh) yes, it looks like a yellow slug. Each to their own.

[ 16. July 2016, 20:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really big yellow slugs!

I think they're kinda' cute.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I like signs at supermarkets which say, "Parent and child parking".

I always expect to see a father and a couple of children disconsolately standing by the signpost while mum is busy going round the store.

This is even better - but do they expect folk to lie down in the space?

I like the sign at my dentist's 'PATIENT CARPARK'

There was once a craft market – indoor, permanent, artists' work displayed in individual alcoves – which had a dad-park: a cosy corner with armchairs, newspapers, tea- and coffee-makers. A brilliant idea. There may have been toddlers' toys too.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I passed an Residential Home this morning (itself a euphemism: what else would one do in a home but reside?)

It had a sign on the gate: "Caution, Elderly People". That made me wonder why they should be so dangerous: are they axe-wielding maniacs, or what?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's like that sign that crops up round here every time they squeeze another stack of boxes into a Victorian back garden - 'Retirement Flats'. Always think it should be followed by 'Utah'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a computer animated re-creation of the destruction of Pompeii by Vesuvius. It's fascinating.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Moo - amazing!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016