homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fairs and Fetes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fairs and Fetes
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I was helping at a May Fair and we had a Splat the Rat game. There was a very mixed response to it: some people knew it from their childhood as I did, others had never seen one before, including the man who built it.

When I was young, Splat the Rat was a competition between the men, children didn't get a look in. It's actually very difficult and can be set up to be harder. Yesterday it was mostly really small children with the odd adult trying it.

Something else I haven't seen for years but always had a long queue when it was on offer was bowling for a pig; the prize really was a piglet. I grew up in very rural areas.

What fairground and fête games do you remember from your childhood that have disappeared now?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen Splat the Rat before either. Whatever happened to those tests of strength things where you hit some kind of scale with a hammer to shoot a bar up a measuring pole to see how puny/mighty you are?

There are various autumn fairs in my area which are the modern-day survivors of old medieval fairs. These days they're funfairs with rides, but still have some traditional elements like coconut shies, hook-the-duck, darts and trying to throw a ring over a bottle to win a prize. The last time I tried the darts I was handed a set that were so bent they were almost a U shape, but that's all part of the fun of the fair.

The Oxford fair has changed over the years (obviously) even since I first went in about 1982. I remember the Hall of Mirrors, the Bearded Lady and the World's Tallest Dwarf (or similar), but you wouldn't find that kind of thing now.

I went to a few country fairs and fetes last summer which included ferret racing, piglet racing, and "Dog That Looks Most Like The Judge".

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our village church fetes always included 'Bowling for the Pig' and the prize was indeed a pig. As many people kept at least one pig it was a prize worth having! 'Bat the Rat' was a game for men back then, children got a Lucky Dip Bran Tub and a Treasure Hunt. Fetes always ended with an evening dance in the church hall where all ages joined in with The Lancers, The Military Two-Step and The Gay Gordons. I have a vivid memory of my young brother being clasped to the bosom of Miss Nunn as she steered him through The Valeta. It was a rural way of life that disappeared almost over-night. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The coconut shy and quoits were very popular round my way. The other thing was the children's fancy dress competition - and no buying them off the shelf then!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Throw a ring around a goldfish bowl to win a goldfish.

I won one once and the bloody thing died a few days later.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd forgotten the fancy dress competition and the costumes we wore. One wet school fête, my younger sister and I happened to have bright yellow waterproof raincoats with sou'wester hats, so were sent with a bucket, hose and a small section of ladder carried between us to be firemen. We proudly carried the goldfish we won home from that one. No, it didn't survive either.

Another fête one of my friends was dressed as a snake by her mother with her brother and older sister in figleaves and not much else. We were wearing something warmer and empathised.

There was a coconut shy yesterday and one of those strength machines where you hit it with a hammer. The rescue greyhound being walked around winced each time it heard the bell.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Throw a ring around a goldfish bowl to win a goldfish.

I won one once and the bloody thing died a few days later.

I was given a goldfish somebody else won. It lived for years.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My last-church-but-two had a Splat the Rat which was used at all manner of events. There was also a similar idea, a malteser was rolled down a long chute with a small target painted near the end. The idea was to smash the malteser when it went over the target. The chute was uncovered, but it wasn't an even slope, so the malteser's speed varied. It was surprisingly difficult.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've never seen Splat the Rat before either. Whatever happened to those tests of strength things where you hit some kind of scale with a hammer to shoot a bar up a measuring pole to see how puny/mighty you are?

Carter's Steam Fair (based in Berkshire and travelling London and the Home Counties) have them! The best fun fair in Britain!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toss a ring around a bottle and win a baby duck placed in an ice
cream carton to carry home.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... the prize really was a piglet ...

[Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
My last-church-but-two had a Splat the Rat which was used at all manner of events. There was also a similar idea, a malteser was rolled down a long chute with a small target painted near the end. The idea was to smash the malteser when it went over the target. The chute was uncovered, but it wasn't an even slope, so the malteser's speed varied. It was surprisingly difficult.

I remember something similar - both the rat and the Malteser versions - at the church where I grew up.

When I went to secondary school however, and we were asked for suggestions for the school fair, I got blank looks when I suggested it. Some people genuinely thought I was taking the mick.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago our church had a "snail race" sideshow at the summer fete. This consisted of clockwork snails racing slowly along a badly drawn racecourse. Part way through the afternoon, some joker (who I think may have been wearing a black shirt with a white collar) decided to add some real snails. One poor snail got very confused and appeared to be making love to one of the plastic clockwork snails.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Carter's Steam Fair (based in Berkshire and travelling London and the Home Counties)....The best fun fair in Britain! [/QUOTE]
Seconded! If it comes anywhere near you, go- it's brilliant.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

We had the Great Dorset Steam Fair, usually in the rain. So much so that the local shops all advertised wellies and waterproofs to wear there in the weeks leading up to it. That one used to be earlier in August.

It looks as if there are only two of the Dorset carnivals left. I reckoned they were the last hurrahs of the Michaelmas Fairs. I can only find Gillingham and Shaftesbury in October this year. There are a few more in Somerset, but there used to be so many more through September and October. (So much so that 20 or 30 years ago you had to check your route when going anywhere to make sure it was possible.)

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
our village, all 300 of us, has a May Fair. However, given we're about 15 miles from Oxford they haven't even tried to compete with May Day in the city for the last hundred years or so, so it's next weekend.

ferrets, terrier scurrying, welly wanging, aunt sally, etc.

It's the ploughing matches you have to watch out for at other times of the year - they get properly competitive...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back before my time, ploughing matches would have a hoeing competition for older children / teens. Whereas the ploughing matches were men-only, the hoeing competitions were open to either sex and often won by girls. There was strong competition to be the best hoe in the village.

[ 03. May 2016, 06:21: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I claim to have a distinct memory from early childhood of having seen at a village fair a barrel organ with a real monkey on it in a costume.

There was a persistent legend when I was a child that they turned up the electricity on the dodgems later in the evening after we'd been taken home to bed so that they would go faster.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing a wood-chopping contest at an agricultural fair. They used 12" by 12" milled lumber to make sure everyone was dealing with the same thing.

The winner got through the 12" by 12" with an axe in forty-three seconds.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

There really was a monkey and a barrel organ at one of the fairs of my childhood, you've just reminded me. The monkey was dressed up with a fez, fair isle top and trousers. I can't remember much about the barrel organ, just the monkey (I must have been about 5). I can remember I was with one of my grandmother's but have no clue as to where we were, because we did a lot with that grandmother.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have bowling for a ham, which is a full-sized smoked ham which a local artisan farmer/food producer donates.

Anyone else have egg-throwing? This is very popular and is almost always won by two women with a combined age of, oooh, 160 +. All the children think it must be dead easy and off they go and they seem to love it just as much when their egg breaks and their hands are covered with goo. Last year the winning distance was over 25 feet!

We have a produce show alongside the fete and there are classes for home-made wine and liquers, cooking by children to a set recipe, etc, etc, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone remember Goram's Fair that visited Bristol in the 1950s. It was huge (well, to me as a little girl). I do remember being ushered past a strip tease booth [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way out in the boonies where I lived, we had the fish pond which was a huge favorite for the little kids. [ETA they were plastic fish with numbers and magnets on them. The fishing poles had magnets, and when the kid hooked a fish, they would get a prize that corresponded to the number on the fish.]

I enjoyed the turkey shoot. No, we didn't shoot turkeys, just targets, and the best shot for each contest won a frozen turkey! Unfortunately, it was a shotgun contest, and I was much better with a rifle. No turkey for me!

[ 04. May 2016, 12:16: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved Splat the Rat as a child -it was a feature of various village fairs and fetes.

Also those wire games where you have to pass a wire circle along a wire without touching it and if it touches it beeps. (Difficult to describe!)

We also used to have fancy dress competitions. And fling the welly.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Anyone else have egg-throwing? This is very popular and is almost always won by two women with a combined age of, oooh, 160 +. All the children think it must be dead easy and off they go and they seem to love it just as much when their egg breaks and their hands are covered with goo. Last year the winning distance was over 25 feet!

What an outrageous waste of food.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Spike
quote:
What an outrageous waste of food.
Not really. The eggs are donated by a parishioner and they are those which his free-range fowls deposit outside their laying boxes and which he has no way of knowing how fresh or not they are. Some birds will suddenly decide to eschew the laying boxes in their coops and go off and lay their eggs elsewhere - and not knowing how old they are means they cannot be sold; one of the disadvantages of truly free-range birds.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several schools and churches in my memory have had a 'Dunk-the-principal/coach/minister/curate' game -- I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it.

The victim of choice is seated above a large tank of water, contestants throw baseballs at an attached target, if one hits it squarely and with enough force, the victim is dropped into the tank (accompanied by much hilarity). It was always very popular and a good money-maker.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Loved Splat the Rat as a child -it was a feature of various village fairs and fetes.

Also those wire games where you have to pass a wire circle along a wire without touching it and if it touches it beeps. (Difficult to describe!)

We also used to have fancy dress competitions. And fling the welly.

And what about one of those bikes where the handlebars were arranged so that when you turned them to the left the front wheel went right and vice versa, and you had to ride them on a straight course?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Also those wire games where you have to pass a wire circle along a wire without touching it and if it touches it beeps.

I made one of those for the fairs at our son's primary school. It ran for several years.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A staple in rural areas is some variant of "Cow Pie Bingo": a paddock is marked off in numbered squares, tickets are sold, then a cow is let into the paddock and watched to see which square it chooses to decorate first. Even more enthusiastic when ticket-holders are allowed around the fence to encourage the cow towards their square.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be able to report on our local Folk Festival next week. [Smile]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'll be able to report on our local Folk Festival next week. [Smile]

It was good, and apart from a downpour at 5pm on Saturday the weather was good too. Almost too good as most of the dance performances and the ceilidhs were in marquees which are like giant plastic tents, which is tough on the more energetic dancers. Still, the beer and cider sold well.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We've spent the morning at ours. I have won a coconut at the coconut shy, narrowly lost in a basketball shoot-out against my husband and we both managed a 1 in 3 splat rate in the wet sponge in the face thing against each other. I have bought home baking, and fair trade coffee. I left the bottle stall empty-handed, have had an update on the health of a neighbour's cat, and various other local news.

All highly satisfactory.

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I left the bottle stall empty-handed,

I left the bottle tombola at today's church fair with a bottle of beer, a bottle of red wine, a 35cl bottle of sherry and a 75cl bottle of Amaretto liqueur plus a bottle of tomato ketchup and a large bottle of fruit-flavoured sparkling water. This was the loot from £6 worth of tickets. I also had a 'pie-and-pea' lunch with a glass of wine, the church hall bar being open. There are worse ways to spend an hour or two on a Saturday.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loving the Cow Pat Bingo idea!

I can recall.... actual snail races.....pillow fights on a greased pole.....tug of war, over a small stream.....garden -on-a-plate contests...china smashing, which is a variant on coconut shys....guess the weight of the chicken .....but splat the rat was my all time favourite!

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ethna - most of those took place in suburban Essex in the 70s - I'd forgotten Dad's tug-o-war and the slippery pole. I made an electric-bendy-wire-buzzer thing, which still comes out for school and church things sometimes - we do it against the clock and people get quite competitive. Polish parents tell me it's familiar to them too.

Something I've not seen for years is a pull-a-string - where someone laboriously threads 100s of strings over a frame and ties some to sweets. You pay 5p (or maybe it was 2p!) to pull a string, and see if you get nothing, or something indigestible by pride of New Mills (near here), Swizzels Matlow

It doesn't really count, but I once went to Hull fair (a big funfair really) and they had a touring wall of death . That would be fun to make...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Way back before my time, (snip) there was strong competition to be the best hoe in the village.

[Eek!]
And we thought that such behaviour was a modern problem! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daffodil
Apprentice
# 13164

- Posted      Profile for Daffodil   Author's homepage   Email Daffodil   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurried preparations are underway to belatedly celebrate the Queen's Birthday with a fun day type event in mid June.
Our tombolas and similar have to be prize a time to avoid the accusation that the church is promoting gambling. I do like it when people win! My daughter, has never quite grasped the chance element on tom bolas elsewhere and somehow thinks she will win whatever she sets her heart on....and has not yet realised that she doesn't [Ultra confused]

In the past the Crockery Smashing stall was always a big hit [Devil] [Devil]

Must climb up into the hall loft and find out if the splat the rat still works... and what other forgotten goodies are still there!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016