homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wooden floors v carpets (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wooden floors v carpets
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re stair rods:

ISTM there'd be great danger of tripping on them. Is there??

A properly installed stair rod is located right at the junction of the rise and the very back of the step. There is no space between them.

The only way I can imagine a problem is if the step is very short front-to-back.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See if I were rich, I'd probably love really nice carpet, but the quality of carpet I could actually have is just not cozy at all. That and kids.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carpet (wall-to-wall, AKA fitted) is actually not so nice. Rugs (oriental rugs, dhurries, etc.) are more flexible and easier to keep clean -- you can take a rug out and shake it, especially if you have teenaged boys to do it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... cork tiles ...GG

Our last house had cork tiles in the kitchen, which would have been fine and dandy if they'd just been on the floor. But no - they were on the walls as well ...

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re stair rods:

ISTM there'd be great danger of tripping on them. Is there??

A properly installed stair rod is located right at the junction of the rise and the very back of the step. There is no space between them.

The only way I can imagine a problem is if the step is very short front-to-back.

Moo

Frustratingly, a LOT of stairs round these parts are extremely short front-to-back. We had to take our basement stairs out and replace them with a dog-leg version because the people who originally built them were apparently Lilliputians.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Our last house had cork tiles in the kitchen, which would have been fine and dandy if they'd just been on the floor. But no - they were on the walls as well ...

It may be that they had a surplus after finishing off the kitchen and just decided to use them up instead of throwing them out or keeping them on spec for years in case of damage to the floor ones.

Either that or they quite enjoyed a bit of indoor parkour.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
... accidentally shot an arrow through the floor, it was easily patched so you couldn't even tell where he'd done it.

I would quite like to know more about this incident!

We bought a house with carpets everywhere at the end of last year, except the former kitchen which has staggeringly ugly 1970s tiles on the floor. It is still a source of much joy to look at the vinyl that now covers the kitchen and bathroom floors, instead of the hideous carpets. The kitchen one especially I kept spilling things on. Our plan is to sand the floorboards in the hallway and dining room for ease of cleaning, then have carpets everywhere else for warmth. We have neither pets, nor allergies so can get away with it.

I know my mother would prefer to have wall to wall carpet, but they had to put down wood flooring in their hallway to make it easier for her wheelchair. I think it looks better, and she appears to have got to like it - although they've kept carpets in the living and bedrooms (I don't think my dad really notices such things).

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At some point in the 1970s, my parents carpeted over the nice maple floor in the sitting-room of the ancestral pile. [Eek!]

I hope that when the time comes for us to have to sell it, we'll be able either to have it uncovered, or at least get the estate agent to tell prospective buyers that it's there.

At least the wood in the hall, stairs and landing is still visible.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be of use:

"Ask the Expert: The Ins and Outs of Wood Floors" (Remodelista).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have timber polished floors in all rooms except kitchen, bathroom and laundry. Neither of us are carpet fans. We moved into our current house in 2005 to find some once very good quality wool carpet in beige/orange/brown tones in the front part and some extremely nasty acrylic sh*te in the back part. We waited a couple of months to lift the carpet to find to our amazement that the floors had been sanded and polished by previous owners so the job was relatively easy. The amount of dirt and dust from the carpets was incredible. As we live in a warm climate the cool of the timber beneath our feet is very welcome in the summer months and we cope very well with the short mild winters. We find the house seems much 'cleaner' without carpet.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am facing the costly prospect of taking out a quantity of 20-year old wall to wall carpet. The question is what to put in its place. Underneath is a concrete slab, which I have toyed with the idea of epoxying or staining in some thrilling hue, but that will be expensive. I am probably going to slam down the cheapest possible ceramic tile, ideally the kind that looks like planks of wood.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
quote:
... accidentally shot an arrow through the floor, it was easily patched so you couldn't even tell where he'd done it.

I would quite like to know more about this incident!
My father is an archer, and an engineer. Did his PhD on the physics of arrow flight.

When one is interested in archery physics, one occasionally has to measure things. When one is convincing one's wife to help out, one will come inside so that she's warm and cosy, and more easily convinced. When one is drawing back a bow to measure the draw length, and one is safety conscious, then one will put an arrow on the string (a bow, minus arrow, accidentally being released, will basically explode).

...and when you combine these things, you will, at least once, accidentally let go of a bow mid-measure and shoot an arrow directly through the floor.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
a bow, minus arrow, accidentally being released, will basically explode

Does the force exerted on the string by the arrow really reduce the stress on the bow to that extent? Or is there some other effect that stops the bow exploding when there's an arrow on the string?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That intrigued me too. With my engineer's hat on, I would imagine that the presence of a load on the string (arrow) reduces the instantaneous acceleration the arms (?) of the bow can achieve as they convert stored potential (elastic) energy into kinetic energy. F=ma; F sounds like it is fixed by the tension in the bow so if 'm' is low 'a' gets very large. Since the displacement or excursion of the arms (sorry) is directly proportional to acceleration, I guess you risk a peak-displacement-related or 'strain' failure (as opposed to a peak-tension or 'stress' failure, if you pulled it too hard and snapped it). Peak-displacement failure sounds like 'it explodes' to me! [Smile]

[ 18. May 2016, 20:42: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure you're right, MiM, but now need to lie down in a darkened room....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think I may come and join you. [Killing me]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the (physics) students here is an archer. I feel an experiment coming on ... but maybe at the archery range on campus where there are no floors to shoot.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will need a report, Alan!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

With a video. And an explanation in words understandable for the piglet of very little brain. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... cork tiles ...GG

[Confused]

The first flat of my own, I can only assume the previous owners liked brown. Brown lino in the kitchen, brown lino and brown painted walls in the bathroom. And in the living room ... the "feature wall" was dark brown cork tiles. All over.

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it:
- bows create force
- all the force has to go somewhere
- if there's an arrow, it all goes into the arrow
- if there's no arrow, it pulls the bow apart

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With a video. And an explanation in words understandable for the piglet of very little brain. [Big Grin]

You know how if you grasp a piece of dry spaghetti at the ends and snap it, it breaks into three or more pieces?

It's like that. The first spaghetti snap is like you releasing the bow and allowing it to spring back freely (with no arrow). The second (and subsequent?) spaghetti snaps occur in the limbs of the bow. (As MiM says, it's a peak strain thing).

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I understand it:
- bows create force

St. Deird, have you considered applying for the post of Ship's Elucidator of Arcane Material? SEAM would fill the empty gaps in your life and bring you unending praise and thanks. You might even get chocolate [Yipee]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
As I understand it:
- bows create force

Thank you. [Overused]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016