homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I would rather pay... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I would rather pay...
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og, King of Bashan wrote "There's probably a short Heaven thread about stuff that you could do yourself but you shouldn't feel bad about paying someone else for."

There isn't. But there ought to be, so here it is.

And what do I pay for?

In the wake of arthritis, and needing to conserve my available energy for !.work and 2. fun, I have a cleaner who does the floors, bathroom and kitchen for me. Lovely lady, whose price is above rubies. She loves my new Dyson, but it's too heavy for me on a weekly basis. If I ever need to do it myself, I'll have to invest in one of the new ultra lightweight, pack the dust into a brick models. Previously, it took several hours' bed rest to recover.

I also have a firm cut the grass and clean the windows. The grass looks pristine for 48 hours till it rains, and then resumes its impersonation of a meadow.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If i were to go by public transport to shops and then have a cup of coffee, I would be spending close on grocery delivery fee. There is no way I could manage , even in a cab, to get my purchases home and inside. There are occasional slip ups, but on the whole well worth the $10 I pay. Besides, grocery shopping is hardly the most thrilling of shopping activities. I still have to unpack and store but would have to do that in any case.

I have been using online deliveries since around 1995 and consider my delivery fee to be money well spent.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for cleaners. I started using Lisa to do my ironing some years ago when I found it difficult to stand for any length of time, and I've never mastered the art of sitting down to iron. When I felt I needed someone to do my cleaning, I contacted a local company who said they would need to do a 5 hour blitz and then 2 hours every week. I came home that night to find a note saying they were not prepared to take me on as we had not cleared our windowsills and we had too much clutter!
Lisa also does cleaning, and as she knows our house, I asked if she would take us on.
She does about 90 mins/2 hours per week, and whilst she's not the most thorough cleaner in the world, she's very kind and will do other things like colouring my hair, posting letters and helping me get my mobility scooter out of the house.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I started using Lisa to do my ironing some years ago when I found it difficult to stand for any length of time, and I've never mastered the art of sitting down to iron.

"Ironing"? What is this "ironing" of which you speak??? Does it have anything to do with that large, heavy object in the back of my closet that I occasionally stub my toe on???

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laundry. I pay for having the laundromat do my laundry because I just can't face the thought of sitting in a Laundromat all day watching my clothes tumble. It probably costs more (it's 70 cents a pound at my laundromat) but my time is worth it!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though we are both quite adept gardeners we pay for our hedges to be cut back every year. Too exhausting for us otherwise.
We're planning some major work on our kitchen which will involve decorating afterwards, and for the first time we will get someone in to do it. I enjoy painting and papering but think I'm getting too old!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Christmas present from my son was the offer to pay for a month's worth of cleaning. I plan to take him up on it as soon as the house is decluttered enough for a cleaning firm to come in. It's one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever had (or will have, eventually!) I honestly think I will cry with sheer gratitude when the day comes.

We pay to have our windows cleaned. Theoretically it's once a month, but delays due to bad weather etc mean that it actually happens about 8/9 times a year. Even when it's been a while, and the windows badly need a wash, I can ignore them knowing that they will be done eventually.

I have a supermarket delivery about once every 6 weeks, for bulky / boring / heavy stuff (toilet rolls, washing powder, printer paper, storecupboard tins etc) topped up with that week's groceries.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will try my hand at anything. Once. This allows the Lord to convey to me that no, woodwork is not one of His gifts to me. I don't do carpentry, nor the laying of flooring or tile. Tried it, turned out horrible, hired a pro to fix it. I am also past the age of painting large areas of wall or ceiling; I plan to hire that done when I need it. Nor do I do anything now that calls for climbing up onto a ladder, or close vision. If God had wanted me to do this, he would not have allowed my eyesight to get so poor, right?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not done it yet but I plan to have my windows cleaned. There is no way I am standing on a ladder anymore.

I do have a cleaning lady who is a gem and she comes twice a month. Having the house clean is such a treat.

[ 21. May 2016, 21:37: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Laundry.

That's the New York way, isn't it? There's something magical about dropping off your laundry in the morning on the way to the subway and then picking it up at night on your way home, all nice and clean and neatly folded.

I've had cleaning ladies off and on for years, each one special. Irene, who once told me "I dress peculiar so people won't bother me on the street" and believed that a generous sprinkling of Comet cleanser cured a multitude of sins. Rosarita, who managed to put things away in different places each week, all with the goal in mind that I'd never find them again. Angela, who unfortunately became ill and couldn't work anymore, poor thing.

Currently I'm without, and do the cleaning myself, but I'm tempted to look for one again.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first bought my house, I had someone come do some landscaping to prevent water around the foundation. He said I should lime the lawn and his crew could do that for me. When I saw the bill, spreading the lime was $70 and I was in shock.

Fast forward to last week, when, after about 14 years of thinking I really should lime the lawn, I borrowed the neighbour's spreader and limed it.

There is no way I will ever do that again. $70 seems like a bargain now. It was so hard to push the spreader and get the wheels to track properly. It was made worse by some medical issues but still, it was impossibly hard.

[ 21. May 2016, 22:39: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things that were easy to do when you were 30 are no longer possible when you are 70. It is to be hoped that you have money, instead, so you can hire it done.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original example in the coffee thread was pho. I have spent all day roasting and simmering beef bones, by the time you add up the cost and time, $10.00 for two meals at the hole in the wall pho joint is totally worth it.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've officially given up mowing this year. I still do all my own cleaning, in fact I vacuum every day as a light sort of 20 minute aerobics thing, so I thought mowing would sort of be more of the same, but after 40 minutes I came in and went into that medical state know as "feeling funny." It lasted for about two hours so I'm done with that. I had enjoyed it too.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
My Christmas present from my son was the offer to pay for a month's worth of cleaning. I plan to take him up on it as soon as the house is decluttered enough for a cleaning firm to come in ...

Although I loathe housework with a passion*, I've never employed a cleaning lady - I've never felt well-enough-off to justify it - but the idea that if I did, I'd clean and tidy the place in readiness for her arrival is quite entertaining.

My sister has (or had - not sure if she still does) a lady who picks up her ironing, as it's one task she absolutely hates.

* as Château Piglet is shortly going on the market, I've been doing rather a lot of it lately. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years back (when I was winding up my parents' estate) I decided that I would happily pay an accountant to do my income tax returns. Back then, with all the estate stuff, I knew I never could manage the tax stuff. Now, with just my own returns, I probably could do them myself...but I have found that I am happy to pay somebody else to do them for me.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Piglet;

quote:
the idea that if I did, I'd clean and tidy the place in readiness for her arrival is quite entertaining.
I wouldn't clean, but if the place is a mess, then any cleaner would have the choice between
a) cleaning round the clutter and leaving the place looking like a disaster area, or
b)tidying stuff away, leading to tension in the North East household when the North East Man can't find his stuff.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to trim all my trees myself, and had a lawn and landscaping that my neighbors admired! Not fancy at all, but always neat and (mostly) color coordinated flowers. Well. That was a couple of decades ago.

I hire folks to do that, now. They don't landscape, but mow and trim. I miss the satisfaction of seeing the neat stripes of freshly mowed grass appearing as I walk the mower back and forth, and the hard work of bundling all the tree trimmings. Alas. My back and lungs have betrayed me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why spend all that time and effort cleaning the car when a group of East Europeans (I think) are prepared to do it all for me (inside and out) in a fraction of the time to a much higher standard? £10.00? I think so.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd, really, that people who can afford a cleaner sometimes feel there's something wrong and inegalitarian about employing one. If you could employ a cleaner and don't, what you're actually doing is using for your own purposes (e.g. buying GIN) money that could be part of an income for someone who is almost certainly poorer than you are.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I can't abide gin but people who buy gin are providing an income for people who make gin; people who buy cleaning are providing an income for people who do cleaning.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lurve our cleaner. We emphatically don't clean before she comes, but it is a good incentive to keep the place fairly tidy because she can't work if there's clutter everywhere.

We don't have any bourgeois scruples about paying someone else to do it for us. We're providing someone with a job (our cleaner is a local mum who takes a few hours cleaning to supplement the family income) and here, you even get a tax break when you have (a) domestic employee(s) - because you are contributing to the economy.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... tension in the North East household when the North East Man can't find his stuff.

It's on that principle that if I'm tidying up, I never touch anything that has the word "organ" on it. [Big Grin]

I absolutely agree with Albertus and Moonlitdoor about providing employment for people who need it, and the French tax-break idea is IMHO spot-on.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Personally I can't abide gin but people who buy gin are providing an income for people who make gin; people who buy cleaning are providing an income for people who do cleaning.

True enough: but you may well also squirrel a fair bit of the money away. In general, if you want to get money flowing round the economy, you do it best by transferring it from people who have more of a surplus (e.g. employers of cleaners) to people who have less of one (cleaners).
Brother of a mate of mine, many years ago, went to Africa on VSO and was appalled to discover that his predecessor had employed two servants. 'No no', he said, 'I'm not buying into any of this dreadful pseudo-colonial hierarchy: I'll do my own cleaning and laundry'. Had to be taken aside by his boss and have it quietly explained to him that if he didn't employ two servants, two local families didn't get an income.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the business of the monied man
To give employment to the artisan.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we both worked full time we had a cleaner and a gardener. Now that we are retired we don't have either, but I miss them both.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to miss 'contributing to the local economy' when we move back to the UK shortly. Sadly I don't think we will be in a position to employ someone else to clean the house once a week at UK rates. [Frown] I can't stand housework and will happily ignore it for ages until my poor husband can stand it no longer. (If I leave it long enough he will usually crack first and do it himself!) Other advantage to having a cleaner is that it does force me to tidy the house once a week so that she can clean. If I have no reason to tidy up things can get a bit out of hand...
It's going to be a bit of a shock to the system after 9 years of having a cleaner. Oh well, at least the kids are old enough now to be incentivized to help...

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dog has a spa day. Shampoo blow dry and a pedicure all for $10.00. I have never had a spa day but she does every 4 to 6 weeks. Not so much the washing as the lifting her in and out of the laundry tub that does me in. I wash all her bedding and the sofa cover while she is out of the house. I must admit I am a bit jealous of her.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once upon a time it would never have occurred to us to employ a painter. We have a white wood house and all the inside walls are white too, so it was easy to refresh things one wall at a time as needed. BUT it took us much longer to do this than a professional, and we have discovered that by the time we bought the paint, the rollers, the dropsheets and steeled ourselves for one to three days of paint fumes this was a false economy.

Now we just wait until one or two rooms need a refresh and hire a local painter to do it. They are usually done in less than a day and we have no mess to clean up.

Duh.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
I can't stand housework and will happily ignore it for ages until my poor husband can stand it no longer. (If I leave it long enough he will usually crack first and do it himself!)

I can't imagine why you would consider any other possibility. My husband has been in charge of cleaning since day 1 (we've now been married 26 years). Even when our kids were tiny, I was in charge of (breast) feeding, he was in charge of (diaper) cleaning. If he's concerned about it, get out of his way, and let him get on with it and do it to his satisfaction. I'm sure you can find something useful (and more amenable) to do to contribute to the overall maintenance of the home.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cleaning of the house costs $175 a go. Expensive and only ocassionally. Are you getting better prices?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

No Prophet's Flag asked
quote:
Cleaning of the house costs $175 a go. Expensive and only ocassionally. Are you getting better prices?
Our cleaning lady charges $20.00 an hour and it usually takes her two hours to clean. She comes twice a month.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Student Job Search when I need a cleaner. I continue with the same one until they move on. I am pleased that it helps both of us.

I advertise the job as "Extreme House Cleaning" so no one is misled into thinking they are doing light dusting and I advertise the pay at $20/hour which is slightly above the Living Wage, but I add a bonus if they have done a spectacular job, which many have done.

My youngest brother says it is above his pay rate, but that just says to me his employers are exploitative rip off merchants [Mad]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by Lucia:

quote:
I can't stand housework and will happily ignore it for ages until my poor husband can stand it no longer. (If I leave it long enough he will usually crack first and do it himself!)
This is my husband's approach. He knows he doesn't have to do anything, because I will always crack first. I regard it as deeply unfair!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
No Prophet's Flag asked
quote:
Our cleaning lady charges $20.00 an hour and it usually takes her two hours to clean. She comes twice a month.
Depends on the house, of course ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
The dog has a spa day. Shampoo blow dry and a pedicure all for $10.00. I have never had a spa day but she does every 4 to 6 weeks. Not so much the washing as the lifting her in and out of the laundry tub that does me in. I wash all her bedding and the sofa cover while she is out of the house. I must admit I am a bit jealous of her.

We hose ours down outside - no doggy spas here!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is my husband's approach. He knows he doesn't have to do anything, because I will always crack first. I regard it as deeply unfair!

You might appreciate this poem, then. [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[Big Grin]

This thread has sparked a discussion in the North East Household, the upshot of which is that tomorrow we will be paying to have two of our carpets professionally cleaned! It will cost £55, about double the cost of renting a rug doctor machine and doing it myself, and the end result should be better. I think it will be well worth it.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Big Grin]

This thread has sparked a discussion in the North East Household, the upshot of which is that tomorrow we will be paying to have two of our carpets professionally cleaned! It will cost £55, about double the cost of renting a rug doctor machine and doing it myself, and the end result should be better. I think it will be well worth it.

I don't doubt it. To the cost of hire you usually have to add the cost of the cleaning fluid as well as your own time. I'll bet the professionals have a better machine too as they have it in order to clean carpets whereas a hire shop is only interested in renting it out.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things I pay for:

Online grocery shopping
Cleaning the car

Things I would like to pay for but can't afford:

Cleaning
Washing and ironing
Redecorating the house

*sigh*

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
* DIY

* Garden heavy maintenance

* And dog walking...were i to be able to find a reliable person who wouldn't throw a fit at the state of our home. I can find people who fulfil one of these options, but not both.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pay someone to do gas work ('cause I'd rather not worry about causing a gas leak). I paid someone to replace the springs on my garage door, and I paid to have the bathroom redone (or it wouldn't be finished yet).

I pay someone to mow the lawn. ('cause otherwise I'll make myself ill in the heat.)

I don't like cleaning much, but don't hire a cleaner because what I'd really need to hire is a tidier, and nobody would do it right. So currently, what I have is mess.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously house cleaning is much cheaper elsewhere.

We do most things ourselves. But not drywall taping, mudding and sanding. That's the worst.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before I was married, I paid someone to do my taxes and someone to mow my lawn. When I was working full time, I paid someone to clean my house.

Now, my husband does the first two, and I do the third.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was rich I would pay someone to stand behind my computer chair and massage my neck and shoulders -- forever.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

We do most things ourselves. But not drywall taping, mudding and sanding. That's the worst.

My husband is doing that right now as we speak. Maybe I should be doing the cleaning after all...

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

What is "mudding"? Google isn't providing an answer.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I wondered too. It sounded as if you were repairing medieval lath-and-plaster or cob walls.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is "mudding"? Google isn't providing an answer.

Really? First hit I got was a video probably tells you more than you want to know.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016