homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » June Book Group - Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: June Book Group - Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The book for June is Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín. You can find out more about it here. .
I think this will be an interesting companion piece to Home as again it is a story written from a woman's point of view, this time about 1960's Ireland, rather than 1950's Iowa.
Don't worry if it takes a time to get into it, I tried three times, convinced the first few pages must be missing, but when I did it was well worth it.
As usual I'll post some questions on or around the 20th.

[Typo in author's name tidied up. - Ariel]

[ 21. June 2016, 17:32: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking forward to reading this. I've heard very good things about Colm Toíbín's books, and I haven't read any of them yet.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having seen and enjoyed the film Brooklyn, I'm in for reading this one.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I own it and am packing it for the weekend, but who knows if I'll get to read it in time.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are a few general questions on Nora Webster. Feel free to add your own.

1. This story follows a woman as her life gradually changes after the death of her husband. There are no major plot twists. Did you enjoy the slow pace, or were you waiting for something major to happen?

2. Did you like Nora and sympathise with her, or did you want to shake her at times? Did you think she was someone you'd like to be friends with?

3. The story is told entirely from Nora's point of view. Did you admire the way Toibin did this, or would you have preferred a more 'outsider' view of what was happening to her?

4. What role, if any, did you think religion played in the story?

If is the first book by Toibin you've read, will you be searching out more?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. This story follows a woman as her life gradually changes after the death of her husband. There are no major plot twists. Did you enjoy the slow pace, or were you waiting for something major to happen?

I did enjoy the slow pace. I felt it suited the rural Irish setting and Nora's gradual adaptation to life without Maurice. And though the story wasn't dramatic it did cover a fair period of time.

2. Did you like Nora and sympathise with her, or did you want to shake her at times? Did you think she was someone you'd like to be friends with?

As we were privy to Nora's thoughts and dilemmas I did find her sympathetic. But in the reactions of others to her behaviour there were hints that they found her prickly or difficult. It explained a lot to find that her mother was too intrusive with her so she went the other way and didn't ask her children about their lives. But as a friend I think I would find her tricky to get on with.

3. The story is told entirely from Nora's point of view. Did you admire the way Toibin did this, or would you have preferred a more 'outsider' view of what was happening to her?

It did mean there were various mysteries, like what problems Donal was having at school. This was a little frustrating!

I can only think of the political and sociological aspects of religion in Irish society.

The Testament of Mary is the only other book I've read by Toibin; I didn't enjoy it. I loved the film Brooklyn and was interested to read Nora Webster. I won't be searching out more though I found it an interesting read.

Though I was initially impatient with the gramophone club Nora joined, her music education and appreciation struck me as just the sort of thing one might do when exploring life anew. She was brave to take up solo singing and go through that dreadful audition. Her singing teacher had an unusual technique and all this engaged me with her story.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm in the middle of re-reading (broken off to read something else)and on a second read I'm enjoying all the small pointers to the way her life is going more, and understanding what is happening more too. Having said that, I was obviously finding it a bit slow because I ditched it for something else for a while.

Although Nora obviously doesn't think she is prickly she comes across that way to other, Una not telling her about her engagement for instance. I felt rather sorry for Miss Kavanagh in her work-place for instance, and the teachers at her son's school. Not sure that I'd seek our a friendship with her.

I was very impressed by this, the way you find thing out only when Nora finds them out or realises them, the fact she abandoned her two younger children for two months when her husband was dying for instance. I'd love to be able to write the way he does.

Nora seems to be belonging but not particularly believing. she goes to mass, but it seems more out of habit than conviction. Sister Thomas with her conviction that she'd meet Nora by the strand, and the bit nearer the end where Maurice may or may not have appeared gae a slight supernatural air to the book.

I too didn't like Testament of Mary, but enjoyed Brooklyn, but that might have been because I liked the film, which I saw first, so much.

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This discussion seems to have gone quiet, but I'll give it a go:

Certainly it’s slow paced, but perhaps because I read most of it on a long bus trip (and couldn’t easily escape!), I didn’t mind that, and the story grew on me. I did think the way the setting is gradually revealed was clever – just at the point I wanted more clarity (eg on period it’s set, ages of children etc) a few more bits of context became clear, so the frustration of not knowing was eased (though I see what Sarasa means about thinking the first pages were missing). I see what the Guardian reviewer meant by comparing Toibin’s work to still life.

It is gradually revealed through her interactions with others, that Nora is seen as prickly and difficult by others. But by the time you realise this, you are already seeing the world through her eyes, and have identified with her. It’s also difficult to tell just how prickly she is, and how much of it is shyness, and a determination not to pry (a failing she sees around her in considerable measure!). Miss Kavanagh for instance is disliked not just by Nora, but Nora’s treatment of Conor’s teachers really was dreadful. She’d be a difficult friend – though perhaps rewarding, as she has courage and loyalty.

As above, I thought Toibin’s ‘gradual reveal’ technique worked very well, though the reader needed patience. A few mysteries were never entirely cleared up, especially concerning the boys.

Religion – not much, Nora and several other characters seem to be fairly standard Catholic attendees at Mass, with reasonable (if varied) relations with religious orders, and kids at Catholic schools etc. I was more interested in the portrayal of the political events of 1968-72 – which I remember well. I was at university with N Irish friends on both sides of the religious divide and the tensions around Bloody Sunday were considerable and difficult – for all of us, I guess. I had never considered before what it all looked like in the Republic

Yes, probably.

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016