homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Terrible tombstones

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Terrible tombstones
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across this site yesterday and was struck by the interesting and inventive variety of memorials to the dead.

Anyone got any accounts of similar, or plans to have something distinctive themselves?

Goodbye Kitty

Spongebob Gravestone

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Cof E we don't allow such tombstones - though it comes across as very hard to the mourners.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are other Czech composers buried in the same churchyard, but it is Dvorak gets the works - portrait bust, bas relief, art nouveau gilding, tasteful planting.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not exactly in the spirit of this thread, but I like the Jewish custom of laying a pebble on the grave of the dead when you visit them.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who can't see the image Firenze linked to, it looks like this.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a terrible tombstone- in fact IMO rather lovely and one of my favourites. But those who remember the man will appreciate its mild eccentricity. Here.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the images linked to the first post it makes one very glad that the CofE has the regulations it does, if only to prevent bad taste.

Of course, there is still the opportunity for mirth in the inscriptions...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can tour Highgate Cemetery and see some crazy-original grave markers. And the number of modern things to do after death is extremely large -- everything from being shot off with fireworks to coral reefs to man-made diamonds to low-earth orbit.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike Milligan once wanted his tombstone to reasd 'I told you I was ill.'

[ 07. June 2016, 14:25: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And indeed it does.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one I felt very disturbing was in a churchyard at Baunton in the Cotswolds, for a wife, and quoting from Proverbs - 'The Lord chastens those whom he loves.'

Why? What lay behind it? Was it the widower who was being chastened by the loss of his wife? It read to me unfortunately like the idea of someone who believed he should chasten his wife.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Looking at the images linked to the first post it makes one very glad that the CofE has the regulations it does, if only to prevent bad taste.

Trouble is that 'taste' is in the eye of the beholder and the C of E is so middle class that it can't really live up to its claim to be the church for everyone

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a funny one - the tombstone that always makes me gulp is in my church's graveyard. You can't really see the names any more but the inscription is:

'The dead child and hope of...'

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Trouble is that 'taste' is in the eye of the beholder and the C of E is so middle class that it can't really live up to its claim to be the church for everyone
Surely one of the reasons for the CofE's rules on gravestones is to ensure, by requiring a degree of restraint, that the churchyard can be a place for everyone and not risk being taken over by the personal taste of one or two families.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From my experience the ones who want alternative tombstones wide of the rule book have, in the past, often not been supporters of the Church.

In this rural area the rules have though been relaxed by individual vicars keen to please the wider community in the face of dwindling congregations. This is more about the colour and finish of stones rather than allowing really tacky memorials into an essentially traditional setting.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record I found many of those tombstones pretty cool. [Cool]

I liked the scrabble and crossword ones; and I liked the black living room one.

Gotta say there were some more fit for a Halloween lawn displays, like that one of grizzly hands lunging at the child playing or the guy with his head in his hands.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like

This:

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
And indeed it does.

We were in Winchelsea a few years back, and D. and his sister spent ages looking for Mr. Milligan's tombstone because of the "I told you I was ill" epitaph, which I think at the time had been vetoed. If the stone had been moved, that would explain their lack of success.

I rather like the idea behind BL's cookie recipe - haven't we all at some time or another wished we could have access to a recipe that was in Mum's or Granny's head but had never been written down?

[ 08. June 2016, 03:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
I rather like
This:

Brilliant.

When someone I knew dropped down dead they put his favourite recipe for Moroccan chicken on the back of the service leaflet.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Game over

.... and on a similar note....

Possibly a little too lifelike, especially at sunset.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Possibly a little too lifelike, especially at sunset.

I think the ones emerging from their headstones behind him would spook me the most at sunset!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the point of view of a geological taste - I prefer stones of a local rock, and find the very shiny crystalline stuff from, I think, South Africa, sticks out badly in country churchyards. (I gather it is usually labelled granite, but it's probably up the basalt end of the igneous spectrum.)

I find I like the Victorian melodramatic ones rather.

[ 08. June 2016, 09:16: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a gravestone to be made of something nice and robust where the lettering will remain visible for a good long time for the benefit of future family historians. Worn off lettering is maddening.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Robust, yes, I thought of that while posting. But if the usual stones are a light colour, a light colour would be better than that black.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may nick Capt. Blackadder's idea for mine: "Here lies Karl LB and he's bloody annoyed!"

Anyone in the clergy tries to veto it I'll bloody well haunt them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our kirkyard, the gravestone of a woman who died in 1808 includes this verse:

No Pomp's Displayed or Meant by this Plain Stone,
To draw the attention of the Passing Eye,
But the Due Tribute of a Mourning Son,
That Marks where Lies a Mother's Mouldering Clay.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of a tombstone in Aberdeen with a four-line verse. I don't remember the first two, but the last two are:

She was a virgin till seventeen
That's quite a record for Aberdeen

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the grave of Elizabeth Charlotte
Born a virgin, died a harlot,
She was still a virgin at seventeen
A remarkable thing in Aberdeen.

I've heard about this gravestone quite often, but it definitely doesn't exist now, and no-one seems to know where it was.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother once saw a gravestone that had a woman's names and dates and then the motto 'She did what she could'. It was somewhere in the Warrington area.
I saw a gravestone in (I think) Buckingham that said 'She will be known for what she was.'

Neither of them glowing tributes to the deceased.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The moral of this is, preplanning. Decide what you want on your stone, or what you want done with your remains, and write it down. If possible, back up your wishes with money -- you can buy everything in advance if you want. You can set it up with your church, the service you want, the hymns to be sung, the texts -- everything.
Then your witty or malicious heirs have to live with it. They can say irritating things over the grave, but your stone will say what you want.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have purchased a niche in our church's columbarium. Alas, all I will have is a plaque like Emily Loman's (scroll down a bit). The only personalization allowed is that a clergy person gets a small cross.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Robust, yes, I thought of that while posting. But if the usual stones are a light colour, a light colour would be better than that black.

Problem with light stones can be that engraved letters need reprinting every 10 or 20 years to remain visible from a distance.
Black and dark grey polished stones were not allowed in CofE yards, but like I said they are creeping in. As are the alternative epitaphs. ' Loved to Natter' is one that I noticed recently.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The moral of this is, preplanning. Decide what you want on your stone, or what you want done with your remains, and write it down. If possible, back up your wishes with money -- you can buy everything in advance if you want. You can set it up with your church, the service you want, the hymns to be sung, the texts -- everything.
Then your witty or malicious heirs have to live with it. They can say irritating things over the grave, but your stone will say what you want.

In theory this sounds good.

A woman I taught with put a cartoon of her husband (also a teacher) on his tombstone. I rather liked it because it summed up an aspect of Norm's life well. She told me her stepson didn't approve of it.

The next time I visited the graveyard was after her death. The cartoon had gone and in its place the inscription read, "A gentle man and a troubled woman"

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Wow. I hope she disinherited him.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have liked to have done more than that, but it wasn't really my business.

I'm not saying his inscription was inaccurate, but there was a lot more to the woman than that. My youngest brother credits her with teaching him to read after other teachers had put him in the too hard basket (he's dyslexic) and he is far from the only one. It saddens me that this aspect of her life is carved in stone and will be all that some people know of her.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was in Exeter Cathedral where I came across a very lengthy memorial, including the phrase, "Her bosom was the seat of those energies which give activity to virtue."
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
This is the grave of Elizabeth Charlotte
Born a virgin, died a harlot,
She was still a virgin at seventeen
A remarkable thing in Aberdeen.

I've heard about this gravestone quite often, but it definitely doesn't exist now, and no-one seems to know where it was.

The sentimental style of that one might be taken for William McGonagall. Did he ever subject Aberdeen to his immortal poetic gems?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one in a graveyard just outside Wrexham with the proclamation: "Prayer works! I know because I tried it!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am ISO poems, especially old ones, that appear on gravestones, so if anyone knows of a site let me know. Not photographs necessarily but the texts.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very fond of this one which is in the churchyard at Eyam in Derbyshire..

For those that aren't fortunate enough to have grown up familiar with cricket, the batsman is being bowled out middle stump, an obvious metaphor for death, and the hand with the first finger held upwards is how an umpire indicates that one is out. If you cannot distinguish the little poem, it is an extra delight,

"For when that one great Scorer comes
To write against your name
He writes - not that you won or lost
But how you played the game”

Exam is also famous as the plague village in the C17.

In Bath Abbey there is a plaque which includes this immortal advice to the living,
And be not troubled when your friends
Come suddenly un to their ends".

Neither of these, though, fit the title 'terrible tombstones'.

[ 11. June 2016, 22:18: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
And indeed it does.

We were in Winchelsea a few years back, and D. and his sister spent ages looking for Mr. Milligan's tombstone because of the "I told you I was ill" epitaph, which I think at the time had been vetoed. If the stone had been moved, that would explain their lack of success.

I was there last week and saw it! There is an inscription in, apparently, Gaelic, which is supposed to be the "I told you I was ill" line.
The stone is in a prominent position in front of the church and has a fairly well worn track through the grass to it, also a leaflet in the church tells you where it is.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there's a stone in a churchyard in Co Antrim with 'Memento Mori' on the front - and a handy translation on the back 'Remember to die'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have threatened to have 'She was always trying' engraved on mine....

Given the CofE reluctance to have tailored gravestones, my favourite is to our school governor (a local fruit farmer) known affectionately as The Strawberry King. His family were allowed to have two bright red strawberries carved and painted on his gravestone - very tasteful, but advanced thinking for 30+ years ago.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In DC's Congressional Cemetery, there's an especially overwrought piece of Victoriana dedicated to Mary Ann Hall, "long a resident of Washington. With integrity unquestioned a heart ever open to appeals of distress, a charity that was boundless, she is gone; but her memory will be kept green by many who knew her sterling worth."

Integrity unquestioned, hm?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016