homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Said Francis Bacon once upon a time.

As that feminist icon, and poster girl of the faith based patriarchy - a Celibate Never Married Woman* - I invite one and all, in a similar state, to contribute to a discussion of the joys and benefits of the single life.

If we are gods, what are our glories ?

*Patriarchal icon status non-revocable on discovery deep seated attraction to Sandi Toksvig, and short funny women in general.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never having to answer questions such as "What are you looking at him for? Aren't I attractive to you anymore?"

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting something down, and knowing it'll still be there three days later. I miss that...

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love having my own bed and not having to share it, the freedom of the space in it. Nobody grumping at me first thing in the morning. Wholehearted enjoyment of books, art, music, whatever without any guilt. If I want to spend half an hour soaking in the bath I can. I can get up whenever I like at weekends and suddenly decide to go out for the day or even go away for the weekend. If I'm travelling and decide to stop off in London for dinner on the way back and am a couple of hours late home, I don't have to ring anyone and apologize, forewarn, make arrangements for their own dinner or anything.

In short, not having to give up things I like and to squash the element of spontaneity. The freedom to decide things on the spur of the moment and just do them. To be able to be yourself.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
Putting something down, and knowing it'll still be there three days later. I miss that...

Wait until you're middle-aged. I can never remember where I put the remote control 20 seconds ago...

It's rather difficult to say, given that solitude is just normal, everyday life that I've lived for years. If anything, though, I must say that I appreciate not having to creep around my own home once it's gone past 10pm, lest I disturb someone else - a feature that typifies any stay I have with relatives.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having my own way.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I appreciate not having to creep around my own home once it's gone past 10pm, lest I disturb someone else - a feature that typifies any stay I have with relatives.

Or before 8am. I don't even like to stay with friends, let alone relatives. Give me a private hotel room. You can call when you're ready to have me come over and spend the day with you.

Solitude -- making my own plans without having to worry if the mate will approve.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
In short, not having to give up things I like and to squash the element of spontaneity. The freedom to decide things on the spur of the moment and just do them. To be able to be yourself.

This!! I get to spend time (or not) with the people I choose. Sister calls asking me to come visit? No problem! Spur of the moment desire to walk in the parks at dinner time? There's nobody whining that I have to feed them before I go, and I can have a bowl of oatmeal if I like when I get home.

Plus, the thermostat is mine. All mine!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the soundtrack for this thread, by the incomparable Stephen Sondheim.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have space to think.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

You can be sure that you'll find the toilet seat in the exact same position you left it.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
You can be sure that you'll find the toilet seat in the exact same position you left it.

Ah yes, but is it up or down? [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not always a good thing. I fell in last night-but-one after forgetting to put the seat down again after unpleasant episodes of the viral type.

Nobody to blame but me. [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The number of negotiations to get through life are significantly reduced.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assuming that for our purposes singlehood also means childlessness(because if it doesn't, a lot of the blessings on this thread don't apply)...

The simple fact of not having kids. If you want it more specific, I guess not having to factor the welfare of another person or persons into every decision you make.

That said, I am concsious of a certain free-rider problem here, as I was in my early forties the last time I had to crash at my mother's apartment for a few months. Though I probably wouldn't mind doing the same thing for an ADULT relative in need of temporary lodgings.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

No one objects to my ham hock and pickle burritos nor my spending the evening with hiking gear spread over the sitting room floor so I can weigh it on the kitchen scales.

Or my defleshing rabbit skin in the kitchen sink, and tanning it in the hall.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always owned cars with manual transmissions, and have generally formed intimate, sensual relationships with them (the gearboxes, that is). My Dear Wife has never had such feelings, and after 44 years of otherwise happy marriage, shows no signs of developing them. A low point in our early days came when I casually mentioned to her that I was glad I was her husband and not her gearbox. It makes me an impossible passenger, but with no longing to be single again.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The mind boggles. Now if it had been an automatic...

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I just finished having exactly what I wanted to have for dinner tonight -- not what someone else wanted me to have.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016