homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Smoothies

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Smoothies
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of my friends and I are enjoying making these at home. Is this something you're into, and what are your favourite combinations? Any spectacular failures, or ones to avoid?

I've only just started getting into this, but carrot, celery and ginger with a yogurt base is surprisingly nice.

(I really hate the word "smoothies" but we're stuck with it.)

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't like "smoothie," call them what we call them: green goo.

I have made my go-to so many times that I can't even tell you the proportions at this point. One banana, a handful or two of spinach, frozen pineapple, frozen mango, and top it off with water before hitting liquefy. Even the increasingly picky toddler loves it.

I'll throw in an apple if we are low on mango (we go through several bags of frozen mango a week). I like a few leaves of fresh basil or mint if I have them, as it gives the whole thing a nice spring-like flavor.

If I happen to have beet greens around, I'll toss those in in place of some spinach, as I love the earthy flavor they lend to the whole thing. But then I'm a beet fanatic, so maybe it isn't for everyone.

The only total failure I can think of was the time we were out of banana and we tried to use a baked sweet potato (another Bashan family staple) in hopes that it would hold the thing together like a banana will. Not recommended.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The smoothie disaster was accidentally unscrewing the liquidizer jug from its base and flooding the kitchen table.... no, I didn't suck it up. [Waterworks]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must dig out the juicer.

The main thing is the divide between the thin and the thick ingredients.

'Thins' are things like oranges, clementines, mandarins etc, limes, lemons, nashi pears, apples, strawberries, grapes.

'Thicks' are peach, nectarine, apricot, banana.

My juicing forays were usually based on clearing the fruit bowl of everything that was looking a little past its best, while trying to balance out the fruits that would yield a lot of pulp with those that were more fibrous and would give juice.

I have to say, almost any combo was delicious just because fresh juice is.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
soy milk, banana, blue berries, or other frozen mixed fruit, a dash of grapefruit juice and some spinach is how I like to start the day. I use a blender.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Milkshake. Call them that. Even if it is misnamed because it contains no cow related things and you don't shake it.

What is also recommended is freezing into popsicles.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I start the day with my Nutri*Bullet filled to "max" line containing a (peeled) lemon, stick of celery, slice of root-ginger and water. I sip it while checking my email and reading The Guardian online. This is an upgrade from just squeezing a lemon into a pint of water of a morning (and sipping it while I...etc, etc)

Most days I make a smoothie with a mix of fresh and (home) frozen fruit and my (home made) yoghurt.

I have not got to the "level" of adding those "funny" powders or spirulina or "cacao" or nuts and seeds, or dark chocolate.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Milkshake. Call them that. Even if it is misnamed because it contains no cow related things and you don't shake it.

No can do. That would be like calling a latte a milky coffee. Who would spend whatever they do on a milky coffee?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two words [except it is more now] - Mango Lassi!

Chopped up bits of fresh mango, yoghurt, mixie [blender to you lot] and you're good to go.

Those little sweet finger bananas go well too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

No can do. That would be like calling a latte a milky coffee. Who would spend whatever they do on a milky coffee?
Frankly, it's an insult to the milkshake (this coming from a smoothie guy).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one I buy at lunchtime sometimes, has yoghurt, apple, mango, mint and turmeric. It tastes awesome!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was never a big smoothie fan but I had one this week made from a whole orange (orange part of peel removed) a slice each of lemon and lime (peel on), a 1" slice of pineapple (with core but rind removed), half a banana (peeled), a squirt of agave syrup, a big handful of a greens mixture including kale, and two healthy scoops of ice. Completely filled the blender. She blended the hell out of it -- at least 90 seconds. Came out baby-puke green. Was WONNNNNderful.

[ 25. June 2016, 15:26: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Water (coconut water for a treat), banana, fresh or frozen berries, a peeled orange or a peeled lime, greens (spinach/kale/chard), cilantro, mint, fresh ginger, and half an avocado (without the skin!). A couple of soaked dates if I want it sweeter. Hit the switch on the Vitamix, and nirvana.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Two words [except it is more now] - Mango Lassi!

Chopped up bits of fresh mango, yoghurt, mixie [blender to you lot] and you're good to go.

Those little sweet finger bananas go well too.

Probably kilometres away from Proper Practice, but mango or banana lassi goes very well after dinner at an Indian/Sri Lankan restaurant.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016