homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bit of a Laugh.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bit of a Laugh.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, whilst procrastinating from some writing I am not looking forward to, I came across this....

97% people cannot find the common antonym for the following words.

1 Always
2 Coming
3 From
4 Take
5 Me
6 Down

What bit of internet silliness made you smile today?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the survey or whatever was worded that way, people might not have known "antonym", and so didn't know what to do.

I'll keep an eye out for some silliness. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we go:

"A Bit Of Afternoon Cheer: Google Charmed By Grandma's Polite Searches" (NPR).

Thanks for starting this thread, Patdys! Good luck with your writing. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Golden Key.

Firstly for your contribution. And I must say I do say thank you to Siri.
It makes me feel better, and my children roll their eyes.

And secondly for your advice.
I have great faith that our shipmates are aware that antonym refers to a word opposite in meaning...

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

I have great faith that our shipmates are aware that antonym refers to a word opposite in meaning...

Yeah, but we am intelligent and edumacated.

Huia

PS, loved the polite Granny. I could just see my Mum doing something like this.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thank you Golden Key.

Firstly for your contribution. And I must say I do say thank you to Siri.
It makes me feel better, and my children roll their eyes.

And secondly for your advice.

It would be difficult to imagine that 97% didn't know what an antonym was. Whom did they ask? Primary school kids and pre-schoolers?

GG

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yes, many/most Shipmates will probably know "antonym". But it's not a part of common, everyday speech, so people (Shipmates and landlubbers) may have it tucked a way in a dusty corner of their mental attic.

I was just curious about how the study/survey was worded.
[Smile]

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
97% people cannot find the common antonym for the following words.

Which is hardly surprising, given the ambiguity of the question.

It should read: "find A common antonym for EACH OF the following words".

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Are you sure Kaplan? [Biased]
In which case, why not solve it for us?
For each of the words.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what the responses would have been if they had asked for 'opposite' rather than 'antonym'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you sure Kaplan? [Biased]
In which case, why not solve it for us?
For each of the words.

But Me does not have an antonym.
There isn't a word for anything that is not me. Those who think the antonym is You are wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

I'm sorry.
I will go back to my writing now.
(more clearly, in this case)

This was a bit of fun that made me chuckle when I worked through it.
No it's not grammatically correct.
No, the definitions are inaccurate.
It's not meant to be a serious piece of prose.
It is a brief mindless distraction.
Yes, it was silly.
But it made me laugh when I worked it out, damn it.

My only hope is that you are all winding me up.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry.
I will go back to my writing now.
(more clearly, in this case)

This was a bit of fun that made me chuckle when I worked through it.
No it's not grammatically correct.
No, the definitions are inaccurate.
It's not meant to be a serious piece of prose.
It is a brief mindless distraction.
Yes, it was silly.
But it made me laugh when I worked it out, damn it.

My only hope is that you are all winding me up.

[Big Grin]

Cheered me up a bit at a lousy time [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is a clue needed?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wee bit of warped thinking tells me that the antonym of me is no one

ymmv. If no one knows what antonym means, they have no vcblry at all.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr and Mrs O'Nym and their pet Formicidae Ant O'Nym.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will admit that I had to google the antonym for "from". (Edit- whoops, I typed the antonym first time!)

I will also admit it took me quite a while to get the joke. Maybe had I been writing them down rather than just thinking them out?

At any rate, you got me.

[ 18. June 2016, 17:45: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
... it's not a part of common, everyday speech, so people (Shipmates and landlubbers) may have it tucked a way in a dusty corner of their mental attic...

this Landlubber clings to her dictionary [Smile]

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Galloping Granny:
quote:
It would be difficult to imagine that 97% didn't know what an antonym was. Whom did they ask? Primary school kids and pre-schoolers?
You underestimate our children. By Year 6 (end of primary school in the UK) they should all know what an antonym is, according to the National Curriculum for English, whereas older people who were at school in the 1970s and early 80s are much less likely to know. Explicitly teaching grammar was out of fashion then (except in foreign language classes).
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]
I didn't know what an antonym was until I worked it out from the context.
[Hot and Hormonal] I have a degree in English from a prestigious university.
[Hot and Hormonal] My generation wasn't taught much grammar.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... And I must say I do say thank you to Siri ...

When my mum, who was a little older than the granny in the story, got a stove with a timer on it, always used to thank it when it buzzed, and I have to confess the habit has rubbed off on me.

PS I had to Google what "Siri" was. Thanks, Google. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
[Hot and Hormonal]
I didn't know what an antonym was until I worked it out from the context.
[Hot and Hormonal] I have a degree in English from a prestigious university.
[Hot and Hormonal] My generation wasn't taught much grammar.

Don't feel bad. I teach ESL, and I'd say at least half the time, when explaining grammar, I can't name the exact rule that I'm teaching, just that this is how it's supposed to be written. For example...

"Christians, who hate children, need to refelct upon the example of their own saviour."

I would tell my class that unless the point is to say that ALL Christians hate children, the two commas should should be removed from that sentence. But I couldn't give the names of the grammatical items involved(some sort of "clause", I'd imagine, but that's just a vague guess).

As for the original survey, I suspect the point was to get an many respondents as possible saying they were unable to complete the task. Otherwise, the question would have just used the far more everyday word "opposite".

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I just worked out the joke. The effect of the punchline kinda depends on someone knowing the original meme.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016