homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pokemon Go; gotta catch 'em all? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pokemon Go; gotta catch 'em all?
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not got around to downloading Pokemon Go yet, but I am curious, despite having no clue whatsoever about anything Pokemon, and I might download it once I get back from holiday. Is anyone here playing it?

I keep seeing little anecdotes about how some people are finding it has really helped give them or someone in their family some good motivation to get out of the house, or to talk to people they meet who are also playing it. I also saw a little article about an animal shelter that was suggesting people playing it came in and borrowed a dog to take walking with them, which strikes me as a small stroke of genius.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of the "gyms" are located at churches, and I've heard of churches that are doing a great job of providing hospitality without being pushy.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a fun idea but I was put off by the Pokemon monsters. They look like they're intended for the under-10s. If they did a more grown-up version with something other than cute cartoon characters to collect, I could be interested. It might brighten up a lunch hour.

There have been reports of people having accidents/getting picked up by the police/lured into difficult situations while playing Pokemon Go but if you're careful and manage to look up from your device to check your real life surroundings, you should be able to avoid falling down manholes, over cliffs etc. As some have apparently done.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had the police called on a crowd of about 100 trainers who were shouting at each other and basically making a ruckus. They were in a park in a city about 45 minutes north of here, half an hour after the park closed (it closed at 2300). The neighbors were apparently trying to sleep or something, imagine that. Not really great goodwill ambassadors for gamers, guys.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel - the locations in the game all came from the previous game which this company created, Ingress. The concept with Ingress is that magical energy is coming into the world and you choose to be on team green who create portals to support the magical energy, or team blue who create portals to stop the magical energy.

It's a more grown up version of the same concept, so might work for you. And because the locations are all identical you would be able to play alongside people playing the pokemon game

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caved to curiosity. I've downloaded it, and I now have exactly one critter; a cutesy T-Rex lizard thing with a flame on its tail that alleges its name to be Charmander or something.

I'll give it a go to,orrow

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a news item about a group of teenagers who entered a network of caves, then got lost, trying to play Pokemon Go. I guess, as with all activities, virtual or real, you mustn't get caught up in them so much that they start to control you and make you suspend your normal danger alert instincts.

But there was also a report about a US pastor who thought that they were a portal for demons. Now that is just batshit crazy.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat alarmed at some family members who are cruising about late at night to go to isolated parks to catch their pokemons. I have been assured it is quite a good way to meet and help other "nice" people who are into it. Not so nice for the pair of 29 yr olds who were prevented from leaving a park after hours by two guys who pulled out shotguns to menace them.

It ended with no robbery and no fatality but I think they were lucky. As were those who have crashed cars while looking for catches. One of my daughters thinks parents are wonderful for entering into the spirit of it all and driving their kids around to find new pokemon.

As there seem to be thousands of pokemon, I think these parents are batshit crazy.

Somebody please invent a game that when I play it food is provided for the hungry, plastic is recycled to build houses for the homeless, or things happen that benefit research and eco-restoration.

Then I'll become a serious gamer.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Somebody please invent a game that when I play it food is provided for the hungry

Here you go, Free Rice. Test your own vocab and donate 10 grains of rice for each correct answer.

It may not be much but it's a start.

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been playing Ingress (the game that Pokemon takes all its locations from) for about a year now and find it very enjoyable. I am giving Pokemon a go as I watched the show as a child and enjoyed it but so far it doesn't have quite the same appeal.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've joined the cult.
I am walking and running a bit further and the dog is getting to see different routes. It is kind of fun.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Somebody please invent a game that when I play it food is provided for the hungry

Here you go, Free Rice. Test your own vocab and donate 10 grains of rice for each correct answer.

Thanks Ariel - I have played this before, so it was good to be reminded it still exists - not much of a cuteness factor, so I guess it will never take the world by storm. Definitely some good reasons to visit it though.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I had a nice afternoon today, playing Pokemon Go after I finished teaching this morning, I went out and wandered around, and despite it being horrendously glitch-ridden and unbelievably prone to freezing and needing restarted, it was still a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

I caught 38 of the buggers, would have been more, but for the glitches and server falling over problems. I noticed things in my local area I've never noticed before, I tried out a rather good ice-cream place I've been meaning to do to for ages (and it happens to be right by a Poké-stop), I saw lots of other people playing the same game, I didn't get in other people's way (I scuttle to the side when the phone vibrates to tell me there's a Pokémon around, and as I use Google Maps and Citymapper a lot for navigating, I've already got the whole walking around like I've got a tricorder thing down.

It would have been nice to have had a couple of people to go around with to play it, but it was still nice.

I do hope they manage to pedal a bit faster at their servers to keep them going though, the glitching could become annoying.
Also, it eats battery like nothing else! Normally my phone could make it 2 days without a charge, I used a full charge in a couple of hours today [Eek!]

[ 17. July 2016, 18:02: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Mapswipe sounds like a good one too. It's from MSF, apparently helping map areas that aren't yet mapped very clearly, which in turn helps MSF and other organisations like the Red Cross to get help to those communities more effectively

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Another daughter commented that it was good to see people out walking enthusiastically who looked like they rarely left their gaming consoles for exercise. A news report yesterday had a mental health professional saying it was the best thing for people with depression: fresh air, sunshine and a good walk.

The mobile phone companies must be loving it!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
There was a news item about a group of teenagers who entered a network of caves, then got lost, trying to play Pokemon Go. I guess, as with all activities, virtual or real, you mustn't get caught up in them so much that they start to control you and make you suspend your normal danger alert instincts.

But there was also a report about a US pastor who thought that they were a portal for demons. Now that is just batshit crazy.

I've become a big fan of YouTube scary story narrations-- the readers collect stories from their fan base or from dedicated reddit threads and publish short videos with creepy still images to transition from story to story.

I mentioned on the comments chatter in a BeBusta video that I was eagerly awaiting his " Five Terrifying True Stories about Pokemon Go." [Big Grin]

I've downloaded it, but the weekend was too full to try it out. Thought it would be fun at the zoo. [Devil]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I realised I cud use it as an excuse to go for a walk in the middle of the night (not working until early evening tomorrow). I went out between about midnight and 2am, and there were quite a few other people there too, trundling about with phones. I had a brief conversation with a very nice group of guys about why the Poké-gym on the local Tube Station had gone grey, and how to get it back, I passed near a pub/c,up thing that I've always hated passing at night when there are people outside it (I worked shifts for a while, two night-buses into work, fun times), and it was pretty quiet and civilised, people talking quietly and a whole row of them perched on the wall with Pokémon Go clearly open. People have a smile and a small (this is england after all) wave as they pass each other.

Normally I avoid whatever 'the latest thing' is, but this one seems nice. Yes, there are numpties staring at their phones and wandering into the road, or trying to drive while playing or whatever, but they are probably the same numpties who wandered across the road while on Snapchat or who texted while they were driving. I reckon in the eventual totting up of all things, it's quite nice.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
A lot of the "gyms" are located at churches, and I've heard of churches that are doing a great job of providing hospitality without being pushy.

Yes, we noticed on Thursday that our church is a gym. We are a tourist attraction anyway, so there are always lots of people. We were amused at all the people seemingly following their phones, asked why, and discovered Pokémon Go!

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I mentioned on the comments chatter in a BeBusta video that I was eagerly awaiting his " Five Terrifying True Stories about Pokemon Go." [Big Grin]

Aaaaand Lazy Masquerade beat him to it. [Big Grin]

(Probably best not to open comments at work, and if you decide to listen, use headphones-- occasional language. )

[ 18. July 2016, 04:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Another daughter commented that it was good to see people out walking enthusiastically who looked like they rarely left their gaming consoles for exercise. A news report yesterday had a mental health professional saying it was the best thing for people with depression: fresh air, sunshine and a good walk.

Not that they'll notice the fresh air, sunshine, birds or anything else (unless it rains). It's not exactly a foray into real life and it doesn't get people away from their phones. Still, I suppose it's as good as it gets in the 21st century.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

And big props to the local clubs and businesses who have joined up in order to buy lures for Pokemon. Business is now booming as seekers drop in for refreshments and toilet stops.
They have guaranteed clientele. Smart, very smart.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it time for the kidults amongus to grow up?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How is it worse than bridge ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Not sure who mentioned bridge but…
  • Bridge isn't onscreen (so it doesn't mess with your eyes, your attention span and interfere with your sleep quota).
  • It isn’t potentially dangerous and you are less likely to fall down a pothole playing it.
  • You are less likely to be arrested for lurking outside a building acting suspiciously with your phone after hours.
  • A bridge game’s over when it’s over. It doesn’t drag on for days.
  • Bridge doesn’t involve cutesy cartoon monsters.
  • You have to think when playing bridge, it’s a strategy game.
  • No just clicking on monsters, "candy", etc.
  • People can enjoy a game of bridge without getting sucked into addiction over a much longer time period.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not sure who mentioned bridge but…
  • Bridge isn't onscreen (so it doesn't mess with your eyes, your attention span and interfere with your sleep quota).
  • It isn’t potentially dangerous and you are less likely to fall down a pothole playing it.
  • You are less likely to be arrested for lurking outside a building acting suspiciously with your phone after hours.
  • A bridge game’s over when it’s over. It doesn’t drag on for days.
  • Bridge doesn’t involve cutesy cartoon monsters.
  • You have to think when playing bridge, it’s a strategy game.
  • No just clicking on monsters, "candy", etc.
  • People can enjoy a game of bridge without getting sucked into addiction over a much longer time period.

I was responding to the kidult thing.

As to bridge not being on-screen - I grant you that, though I don't think it will mess with your attention span nor necessarilly your sleep. Having suits rather than monsters doesn't really make an activity more or less worthwhile. There are strategies in pokemon - but I grant you it is less sophisticated than bridge, but a lot of people are not that sophisticated either, and they need leisure too. As to people not getting addicted to bridge - you have got to be kidding me, I know people who have played their entire lives. And at least you don't gamble on pokemon.

[ 18. July 2016, 11:26: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a column in today's paper about people playing Pokemon at Auschwitz and similar place that should be approached solemnly.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
As to people not getting addicted to bridge - you have got to be kidding me, I know people who have played their entire lives.

Yep but the games are much shorter instead of the same one running continuously over an indefinite period of weeks.

As for betting on Pokémon, actually you can do this at the bookies now, they're getting in on it too.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Btw DT, this is just for you: here's Corbyn playing Pokemon.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[*]Bridge isn't onscreen (so it doesn't mess with your eyes, your attention span and interfere with your sleep quota).

It can be. There are (and have been for ages) several ways of playing bridge online. I'm sure that rumours of people resembling me playing on okbridge all night 20 years ago are mere rumours, though.

quote:

[*]People can enjoy a game of bridge without getting sucked into addiction over a much longer time period.

[Killing me]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So how do the places where the Pokemon are get to be places where the Pokemon are? And how do the gyms get to be gyms?
Do people have any control over whether their surroundings are part of this?
Are there any controls to stop places which are not suitable getting identified in the game (such as that cave system up north)?

I had once to contact the geocaching overlords about a site in a local park where the wildlife area was getting trashed by people with no eyes looking for a perfectly obvious box. Only asking that advice about not damaging plants be posted somewhere, so it was rather sad that the box disappeared.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might like this video Penny.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I saw a column in today's paper about people playing Pokemon at Auschwitz and similar place that should be approached solemnly.

Yes, there's a report in a paper today of an A&E department in a busy hospital being designated as a "gym".
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie.

Not that I need to do anything as far as I can tell. Yet.

But that Auschwitz one ought to go. And the A&E one.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, we have one institution in this city that has had to call the police for protection from the public because it is the midpoint for catching 4 different pokemon.

One of my girls has a part time bartending job in the city. The bar has created several new Pokemon cocktails and does geek nights from time to time. Most of the customers that came in playing Pokemon Go did not know you can actually turn the camera in your phone off while hunting for the Pokemon. One girlfriend came over and kissed my daughter after she gave the girl's boyfriend a tutorial on Pokemon hunting. It makes you look less like a dweeb when you are out looking. The bar was very popular that night. [Razz]

[ 18. July 2016, 21:32: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:

Not that they'll notice the fresh air, sunshine, birds or anything else (unless it rains). It's not exactly a foray into real life and it doesn't get people away from their phones. Still, I suppose it's as good as it gets in the 21st century.
When I've been wandering around my local area I've actually noticed more of the stuff around me than I normally would.

People who haven't looked at it seem to think it requires your head stuck in the phone all the time, which is completely not true. You set off on your wander between Stops, and every so often, maybe every ten or fifteen minutes (possibly every five, if y're really lucky) your phone vibrates, so you stop for a minute, look at it, catch the thing, then carry on along on your way.

Once you've established which way you're going towards the next stop, there's no need to look at your phone until either it vibrates or until you arrive at the stop (which your phone helpfully gives you the name of and sometimes a very short description). Anyone who tells you otherwise has no clue what they're talking about, and those you see wandering zombie like about heads jammed in phone were probably the same people who were wandering around last month with their head jammed in their phone on Twitter or snapchat or Facebook.

Same goes for people playing it in inappropriate places, the app randomly generates the Pokémon, those places are not even necessarily 'stops', but if some asshole opens up their app and tinkers with it, then maybe something will appear. Those are probably the same assholes who would last month have though fiddling with Tinder or Instagram or taking selfies in a solemn place was ok.

The app isn't responsible for creating assholes and idiots, and pretending that the adults playing it aren't responsible for their own actions, or that the parents of the children playing it aren't responsible for supervising them (I mean, how did they think they'd get phone reception in caves? Or how do the people who've fallen over things or shambled into the road think it happened?) does more to infantilise society than a lot of people playing a nice simple little game that's giving them an excuse/motivation/a reason to go for a walk and maybe learn about more about their surroundings,

Yes, cartoon cute little monsters are silly, but it's a game. It's not trying to be a deep and meaningful one. It gives me an excuse to wander aimlessly in our not very citing neighbourhood, which is nice, I've chatted to a couple of very nice random strangers while playing, and it's quite pleasant way to spend time.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have totally impressed Daughter-Unit by having Pokemon Go on my phone! [Big Grin]

It only took me fifteen minutes to figure out how to catch the little creature that was in my home. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
So how do the places where the Pokemon are get to be places where the Pokemon are? And how do the gyms get to be gyms?
Do people have any control over whether their surroundings are part of this?
Are there any controls to stop places which are not suitable getting identified in the game (such as that cave system up north)?

As everything is map-linked to your phone I guess the pokemon are generated when you turn your phone on to look. The more pokemon you collect the more candy you accumulate. You can trade pokemon in for candy. Teaming up with other gamesters can turn you into a powerful faction. I think there are 3 factions: red, blue and yellow. Where I live only the red and blue seem to exist at the moment. When you have a very powerful pokemon, then sometimes a gym pops up and you can inhabit it. But this can be taken off you by other more powerful pokemon or collectives of pokemon. Up to 6 pokemon can inhabit one gym, and they can battle other gyms to take them over too. You can make pokemon lures and buy pokemon lures to find more. Once you are hooked, you can spend money getting all kinds of game adjuncts.

One meme doing the rounds at the moment has a gamester taking a very cute pokemon to Professor Oak to trade it for candy. The kid leaves with the candy wondering how the candy is made. Segway to the Professor putting the pokemon into a blender!

I'm sure Nintendo are not going to give away all their secrets about how they disperse their virtual reality bytes, but I am also sure they are delighted with its wildfire success.

[ 19. July 2016, 03:01: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Yes, cartoon cute little monsters are silly, but it's a game. It's not trying to be a deep and meaningful one. It gives me an excuse to wander aimlessly in our not very citing neighbourhood, which is nice, I've chatted to a couple of very nice random strangers while playing, and it's quite pleasant way to spend time.

Mm yes but you could do that anyway.

I know it's aimed at the generation that grew up with Pokemons and I can see why they're getting sucked into it, but I just feel a bit sad that British children could probably name 6 Pokémon monsters more quickly than they could 6 wildflowers they happen to pass on route to the next stop. And that phones and e-gadgets have become such an integral way of life. But that's more a topic for Purgatory.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posters to this thread should do well at this quiz: can you tell your Pokémon from your heretics?

(13/15, due to my knowledge of the latter not the former)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:

Mm yes but you could do that anyway.
Yes, I do, as I said already, I do like wandering, but having a daft little game makes it more entertaining to do in this not-that-exciting suburban area, it makes me notice some of the things around locally - and it initiates conversations.

If I haven't got bored of it by the start of the new term, I can entertain myself on the bus (and at the bus station while I wait... It's a 'stop' as well as a bus stop!) to the various schools I'm in by playing it, and as I often walk home afterwards (if Google says the walk home is less than two hours and if it's not raining I usually walk, unless I'm really tired or unless I have to get home quickly), I can brighten up those walks with a bit of light silliness too.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Posters to this thread should do well at this quiz: can you tell your Pokémon from your heretics?

(13/15, due to my knowledge of the latter not the former)

Montanism was certainly outre, but Tertullian's involvement in it always makes me dubious about those who go all the way in hereticising it.

As for Pokemon Go, I am tempted to point out that it is a Japanese expression which translates as "get a life", which couldn't possibly be anything to do with my being jealous of all the fun people appear to be getting out of it.....

Anyway, "Bah, humbug!"

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
I can brighten up those walks with a bit of light silliness too.

One of my colleagues now apparently rules the shops nearest to the office, while another's had a Pokémon (she didn't say which one) sitting on her desk.

It's an odd feeling, this invisible world going on all around you. For all I know my desk may be covered in the things (though nobody's approached it with a phone and an expression of glee so I'm guessing not).

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of the story of the British merchant who tried to explain the game of golf to a learned Chinese mandarin. The Mandarin's comment was: 'If so trivial a pastime diverts you, why do you not command your servants to perform it for your amusement?' (Though come to think on it, we now have professional golf on television, so I suppose the Mandarin had the right idea.)

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:
I can brighten up those walks with a bit of light silliness too.

. For all I know my desk may be covered in the things (though nobody's approached it with a phone and an expression of glee so I'm guessing not).
They get generated randomly when someone is logged into the app, and apparently you tend to get more nearer to stops and stuff, so it might at some stage be that one materialises on your desk, but you can catch them from miles away, if one appears on the other side of the road, for example, you don't need to cross it to catch it, so if someone does approach y desk or encroach on yr space with the excuse of playing the game, they're just being an idiot.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
I am reminded of the story of the British merchant who tried to explain the game of golf to a learned Chinese mandarin. The Mandarin's comment was: 'If so trivial a pastime diverts you, why do you not command your servants to perform it for your amusement?' (Though come to think on it, we now have professional golf on television, so I suppose the Mandarin had the right idea.)

The entire entertainment industry, explained in three sentences. [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They've put notices up at the railway stations asking Pokemon hunters to be sensible and not leap onto the tracks in pursuit of these things.

I understand that different localities will harbour different kinds of of Pokemon - are there particular sorts that hang round railway stations?

("Yes. There's Trainatus, a beige Pokemon who wears a little anorak...")

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They've put notices up ...

But that assumes they will lift their eyes from their phones at the proper time, which seems like a stretch to some.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

True, but I'm guessing the Pokemons might not all be at ground level. People might have to look up to spot the ones in the rafters.

(I don't know whether they do or not. I have no idea where they might be lurking.)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Basically Nintendo needs to issue an update / sign-up allowing you to register Pokemon free zones - which I imagine they will do fairly shortly.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They've put notices up at the railway stations asking Pokemon hunters to be sensible and not leap onto the tracks in pursuit of these things.

I understand that different localities will harbour different kinds of of Pokemon - are there particular sorts that hang round railway stations?

("Yes. There's Trainatus, a beige Pokemon who wears a little anorak...")

Well my son put this on Facebook today:-
quote:
Missed the train on the way home because I was too busy catching a krabby. Totally worth it.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016