homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Awkward, embarassing or funny moments in church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Awkward, embarassing or funny moments in church
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but was just thinking about how awkard it can be in church meetings...especially when you're not used to a particular modus operandi (or is it operandum if meaning singular? Just quickly googled it, but wasn't a lot of help)in a kind of church you've not been to before.

Well, years ago, I thought I'd go along to a Quaker meeting, see what it was like. I was very impressed how quiet all the children remained for the length of the meeting, which I think was an hour. No-one spoke unless they felt they had something to say or pray or whatever. So, anyhow, I'm sitting on this narrow, excruciatingly hard bench, feeling more and more uncomfortable..you couldn't really shift your position or lounge back in it. I didn't really feel much minded to pursuing spiritual or Godly thoughts as I ached more and more - but then, I thought...I know, we're supposed to give thanks in all circumstances, so in my mind I started doing this. I can tell you, it certainly has an effect! Because then I just wanted to burst out laughing, which in turn was rather awkward, because I wasn't sure whether one was allowed to laugh..I certainly didn't want to disturb the reverent atmosphere. And of course, you know how the harder you try not to laugh, the harder it is not to. And on top of that I started wanting to sneeze. Well, somehow, I managed to suppress the urge to laugh and sneeze...maybe because I was afraid I'd get frowned at or booted out!
Perhaps that type of meeting just wasn't for me...just hope it's not like that in Heaven!

So, has anyone else had any awkward, funny or embarassing moments in church?

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, lots. I attended a small Brethren group for many years. Occasionally there would be a meeting on Saturday afternoon, then a light meal and another meeting afterwards. On the way, someone had shut the car door on my hand which was rapidly turning nasty shades of purple.

I sat concentrating on whatever helped take the pain away. My husband and I stood close to the end to go downstairs to make the huge pot of tea required. I had not moved for a couple of hours and did not realise my foot and leg had gone quite to sleep. I stood up and promptly fell over.

In early stages of second pregnancy , I was at home one Sunday morning with bad morning sickness. Husband took our son then being toilet trained, with him. Apparently, when his father stood up to pray, son stood up beside him. He was being toilet trained at the time, but this had been forgotten by his dad. When Dad sat down, he discovered a large puddle on the floor.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Oooh, lots. I attended a small Brethren group for many years. Occasionally there would be a meeting on Saturday afternoon, then a light meal and another meeting afterwards. On the way, someone had shut the car door on my hand which was rapidly turning nasty shades of purple.

I sat concentrating on whatever helped take the pain away. My husband and I stood close to the end to go downstairs to make the huge pot of tea required. I had not moved for a couple of hours and did not realise my foot and leg had gone quite to sleep. I stood up and promptly fell over.

Oh dear, that is really funny....I suppose I shouldn't laugh.Although I am. I do hope someone rescued you and brought YOU a cup of tea
[Big Grin]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decided that I wanted to become a lay eucharistic minister (LEM) because I was attracted to the ministry of taking the Host to shut-ins. However you can't just do that. There is the small matter of serving during services. Generally a newbie starts training as a crucifer and then moves up to other parts of the job.

So on my first Sunday I was paired with a very experienced laywoman who was good at training. The first thing I was to do was to lead the procession carrying the cross. I was shown how unclasp it from the clamp on the wall and I took it to walk in procession. That sucker was heavy! We processed up to the altar area and I put the cross back in in its holder. The only thing was that reattaching it was something I hadn't practiced but I thought I had it. I walked about three steps away when BAM!!! the thing hit the floor- almost hitting me. I covered my face, whirled around and headed for the vestry, took off my robes, and spent the next twenty minutes in the garden.

Later a veteran LEM told me that she once stumbled and spilled a full chalice of wine in front of the altar. I don't think it was sanctified. But I felt a little better.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there was this. More awkward than amusing. Certainly at the time.

I'm sure a trawl through the rest of the Mystery Worshipper archives will reveal more.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our young children had been watching cartoons on TV one Saturday morning. One of these was "Angela Anaconda" in which Angela's teacher uses long words. One of the words was "scatological" The kids asked what it meant. I told them. At church the following morning the minister used the word eschatological, at which my 3 year old exclaimed, loud enough for most of the church to hear "Mummy! He's talking about POO!"

A narrow miss was when the children were asked what their ideal church would look like. My son said he liked to see mummies in church. This was met with general approval as the sign of a boy who loved his mother. I knew, however, that what he wanted to see in our Presbyterian church was statues of the Virgin and Child.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my treasured memories is the morning in church when we had a session of passing the microphone around so anyone could describe how God had blessed them that week.

One young woman had had obstetrical problems after the birth of her first child, which meant she had great problems in conceiving again, and that week her gyny had told her that at long last she was finally pregnant.

She regaled us with a long, impassioned description of the whole story, describing how she and her husband had tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and TRIED for so long, all to no avail.

Meanwhile we all sat there trying to look spiritual and supportive, while struggling with the graphic mental images her talk was conjuring up of this couple grimly bonking away, night after night, with determined expressions on their faces, and then barely managing to get up for work the next day because they were all shagged out.

Finally someone couldn't avoid laughing and she, fortunately, realised how her story had come across, and joined in.

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was leading intercessions at a point in the church's life where we were getting involved with Christians Against Poverty, aka CAP.

As I moved into the section praying "For the work of ... and all those involved in ..." I decided that I'd used the phrase "Christians Against Poverty" too many times, and I should just shorten it to the TLA-said-as-word.

Unfortunately I'd already starting speaking, and my neat, smooth and well-disguised seque from one form to the other led to an earnest prayer "For the work of CRAP and all those involved with it".

Ho hum.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Urfshyne
Shipmate
# 17834

- Posted      Profile for Urfshyne   Email Urfshyne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago I was leading an open air meeting for the first time on a somewhat windy day. During my Bible reading the pages blew over so, putting the microphone between my knees, I sorted out where I should be in the reading.

Picking up the microphone I said to anybody within hearing, "I'm sorry about that, I am having terrible trouble with the wind this morning."

I then wondered why the rest of the band were falling about with laughter.......

Posts: 98 | From: Maidenhead - lost | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A long time ago, our Sunday school used to have their own collection which they would take to the alter during the last hymn. One of the church families had three boys and these 3 were chosen to take the plate up to the alter. All three wanted to hold the plate, with the inevitable consequence when they came to the chancel step. Two of the boys scrabbled for the dropped coins to put them back in the plate, the third was picking up coins and putting them in his pockets. Meanwhile, the congregation was trying not to laugh, the vicar was tiring not to laugh and gripping the altar firmly in an attempt not to laugh, and the boy's mother was disowning them completely.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I was not there, I have been told of the following. My sister and my mother were attending a Christmas program, and it involved small children dressed as sheep with cute little sheep ears. The two of them found this very silly and sat there trying not to laugh out loud.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Although I was not there, I have been told of the following. My sister and my mother were attending a Christmas program, and it involved small children dressed as sheep with cute little sheep ears. The two of them found this very silly and sat there trying not to laugh out loud.

Wonder if you were at our host church...

We have a five-year-old who had obviously just been told where babies come from, standing in the church entrance dancing and singing "I'm a sperm, I'm a sperm, I'm a sperm!"

In our old parish we had a slanting wooden floor in the nave. The wee ones would go downstairs to nick the billiard balls during service, and then roll them under the pews all the way to the front...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine, a new elder, was serving communion for the first time. The church used wee cuppies, and it was the elders' job to take these out to the people sitting in the pews. Wee cuppies are carried in a tray with holes in it, but unusually, this particular tray had no 'bottom' - the cuppies just hung down below.

Friend picks up tray of wee cuppies filled with wine. Friend stumbles going down chancel steps. Friend claps hand to the bottom of the tray to save it. Wee cuppies launch into the air.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I at least got further than that. We distributed and ate the bread, then distributed the cups. At this point I went straight on to the post-communion prayer and announced the final hymn. At this point someone at the back of the church held up his cup and called out, "We haven't drunk it yet".

On another occasion the Deacons serving the wine returned to the Communion Table but I forgot to offer it to them. Just in time one of them said (In a loud stage whisper that would have been heard all over the church): "SERVE US!"

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 05. August 2016, 16:41: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I decided that I wanted to become a lay eucharistic minister (LEM) because I was attracted to the ministry of taking the Host to shut-ins. However you can't just do that. There is the small matter of serving during services. Generally a newbie starts training as a crucifer and then moves up to other parts of the job.

So on my first Sunday I was paired with a very experienced laywoman who was good at training. The first thing I was to do was to lead the procession carrying the cross. I was shown how unclasp it from the clamp on the wall and I took it to walk in procession. That sucker was heavy! We processed up to the altar area and I put the cross back in in its holder. The only thing was that reattaching it was something I hadn't practiced but I thought I had it. I walked about three steps away when BAM!!! the thing hit the floor- almost hitting me. I covered my face, whirled around and headed for the vestry, took off my robes, and spent the next twenty minutes in the garden.

Later a veteran LEM told me that she once stumbled and spilled a full chalice of wine in front of the altar. I don't think it was sanctified. But I felt a little better.

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My youngest son was once given the honour of carrying a flag, on behalf of the cub scouts of the county, at some important civic occasion. It was a large flag, he was a fairly small boy. For reasons best known to himself he decided that flags should be waved vigorously rather than carried with the usual serious restraint! People to the right and left of the very long aisle were diving for cover. We cringed but he was delighted by the whole event.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Oh no! I wonder who picked it up! There are some people who seem to carry off mishaps with aplomb...but I'm not one of them, I must admit.
What actually would they have had to do if the wine HAD been sanctified...I know in some denoms,maybe all, they have to be very careful in disposing of any unused elements or if some accident occurs. But what if it spilled on a carpet?
The responsibility! I must admit that the older I get, the less responsibility I would like to take on - I have a horrible feeling that I would be the one in the parable of the Talents who ends up with nothing because I hadn't done anything with what I have...but the problem is, there's so much scope for things going wrong [Frown] - I know from experience!

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Well, there was this. More awkward than amusing. Certainly at the time.

I'm sure a trawl through the rest of the Mystery Worshipper archives will reveal more.

Ooh yes, that sort of thing could be quite unnerving for someone of a nervous disposition, especially if they'd not encountered that church style before.
I sometimes wonder how on earth we're all going to fit in with one another in Heaven...we have so many ways of being. Of course, I suppose there won't be any shyness or whatever anymore, but I do sometimes wonder whether there'll have to special areas for, say, tidy people, messy people, loud people, quiet people etc etc. Not that one couldn't intermingle or venture into other people's domains, but perhaps when one got a little tired of the strain of not dropping a crumb on a highly polished table, or of attempting not to leave a muddy footprint on the white shagpile carpet, one could hastily scuttle away to one's own relaxing, not over-tidy or clean area...you know, where there might be a little dust here or there. And conversely, the real neat n' clean people could dash back to the safety of their place. But perhaps nobody would be bothered by anything?
[Razz]

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

A narrow miss was when the children were asked what their ideal church would look like. My son said he liked to see mummies in church. This was met with general approval as the sign of a boy who loved his mother. I knew, however, that what he wanted to see in our Presbyterian church was statues of the Virgin and Child.

Haha! I though at first he meant Egyptian mummies [Smile]
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Urfshyne:
Many years ago I was leading an open air meeting for the first time on a somewhat windy day. During my Bible reading the pages blew over so, putting the microphone between my knees, I sorted out where I should be in the reading.

Picking up the microphone I said to anybody within hearing, "I'm sorry about that, I am having terrible trouble with the wind this morning."

I then wondered why the rest of the band were falling about with laughter.......

Hm, similar to that, but not actually in church but in a small music group I played in - I said, oh, I can feel my G String vibrating! Of course, the three other members of the group were all men and looked at me with varying degrees of amusement...SO embarassing. It was just that one of them if I remember correctly was blowing on his clarinet or whatever instrument it was, to sort of warm it up or something, and it resonated with the G string on my instrument.
[Hot and Hormonal]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are awesome. Thank you all for the health-giving laughter!

In return I'm afraid I have must some verbal stumbles:

1. The deacon is reading the gospel of the Good Samaritan and says, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among lawyers, who beat and stripped him and left him for dead."

2. The priest is saying the prayer for the blessing of a home, and tells Jesus, "Thou, O Lord, wert baptised in the john by Jordan."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
In our old parish we had a slanting wooden floor in the nave. The wee ones would go downstairs to nick the billiard balls during service, and then roll them under the pews all the way to the front...

Iv'e never heard of billiard balls in a church before
[Confused]

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
A friend of mine, a new elder, was serving communion for the first time. The church used wee cuppies, and it was the elders' job to take these out to the people sitting in the pews. Wee cuppies are carried in a tray with holes in it, but unusually, this particular tray had no 'bottom' - the cuppies just hung down below.

Friend picks up tray of wee cuppies filled with wine. Friend stumbles going down chancel steps. Friend claps hand to the bottom of the tray to save it. Wee cuppies launch into the air.

I have to say, that is hilarious, but it must have been SO embarassing for the poor chap [Frown] .
Plus, wouldn't small glasses have been better than urine recepticles...?
[Biased]

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago our cathedral had a rather 'trendy' young-ish dean. Among his bright ideas was a Nativity pageant with live animals. If you are ever tempted to do this -- Don't!
We had a nice assortment of critters, including a llama with incredible eyelashes. However -- there were also several sheep and a ram. The inevitable happened; one of the ewes was 'in season.' And the ram proceeded to perform according to his genes. And this at a rather solemn point in the narration.
The handler was appealed to to 'do something!' His reply was 'Far better to let him finish.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I at least got further than that. We distributed and ate the bread, then distributed the cups. At this point I went straight on to the post-communion prayer and announced the final hymn. At this point someone at the back of the church held up his cup and called out, "We haven't drunk it yet".

On another occasion the Deacons serving the wine returned to the Communion Table but I forgot to offer it to them. Just in time one of them said (In a loud stage whisper that would have been heard all over the church): "SERVE US!"

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

Yes, actually, Communion can be SO stressful...whenever you go into a different church, you have to try and follow carefully the protocol for that particular place...do you take the bread/wafer in your hand/your mouth? Do the participants pass bread to one another to be broken off, and maybe give a bit of encouragement or prayer? Does one keep a solemn/reverent expression on one's face, or does one beam from ear to ear? And how on earth with those little cups does everyone down it in one go at the same time? It takes me at least two or three sips...lucky I don't choke! One can easily feel like one's queuing up for one's daily dose of cod liver oil. Quite an ordeal!
I wonder sometimes, what it would be like if Jesus was actually there in person, physically I mean, so you could see him. What would we all do? Would we be serious and reverential, would we be smiling our heads off, would we be jumping up and down for joy...or maybe guiltily slinking away ( even though we've already done the confession bit).
I dunno, things can get a bit confusing for me sometimes [Frown]

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by cornflower:
quote:

[Confused]

Oh funny, funny!
[Big Grin]

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

Oh funny, funny!
[Big Grin]

Tut, that comment I added was for a different post - I don't know why, but sometimes, somehow, the wrong one comes up...not sure I quite have the hang of this [Frown]
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Some years ago our cathedral had a rather 'trendy' young-ish dean. Among his bright ideas was a Nativity pageant with live animals. If you are ever tempted to do this -- Don't!
We had a nice assortment of critters, including a llama with incredible eyelashes. However -- there were also several sheep and a ram. The inevitable happened; one of the ewes was 'in season.' And the ram proceeded to perform according to his genes. And this at a rather solemn point in the narration.
The handler was appealed to to 'do something!' His reply was 'Far better to let him finish.'

You know, sometimes I think God invented us humans because we're like His own personal sitcom or tragicomedy. He probably thinks, why do you humans take yourselves SO seriously. I can imagine Him and the angels rolling round on a Friday night watching reruns of our antics - got the popcorn ready? Then let the show begin. Conversely perhaps He has His head in His hands, hardly able to look with one eye between His fingers.... [Frown]
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Misquote from A Tale of Two Cities: 'It is a far, far better thing that he be let to finish, than that that which he has ever been let to do before...'
BabyWombat
Shipmate
# 18552

- Posted      Profile for BabyWombat   Email BabyWombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beastly hot day with high humidity, me scheduled to celebrate and preach. I am in cassock alb and stole, over Berumda shorts and a polo shirt, sandals, no socks. (Made kicking sandals off and standing on the slate pavement during the Eucharistic prayer heavenly!)

Call children forward for children’s sermon before they go off to Sunday School. Do my usual cross legged sit down on the aisle floor, hiking my alb up a bit. Children come running forward…… Smart, vocal 5 year old cries out “You ain’t got no clothes on!”

--------------------
Let us, with a gladsome mind…..

Posts: 102 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I have to say, that is hilarious, but it must have been SO embarassing for the poor chap [Frown] .
[Biased]

Poor woman was most embarrassed, yes.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Biased]

Poor woman was most embarrassed, yes.
Oops, sorry, dunno why I made the assumption it was a man [Frown] .
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

No worries, cornflower. Old habits die hard. [Smile]
She's actually a minister now, so she got over the embarrassment at some point.

- edited for typo.

[ 05. August 2016, 20:56: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also from the realm of the wee cuppies, at Communion our church used to fasten strips of starched white cloth along the pews with silver clips. (Thus converting the pews into Communion tables thirty feet long by six inches wide.)

Son was fidgeting and managed to make one silver clip ping off and fly about twenty feet, before clattering on the stone floor. The people in the two pews in front instinctively ducked as the clip whizzed over their heads. Most of the congregation knew that something untoward had happened, but not what it was.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many, many years ago our Rector was kneeling for the Post-Communion prayer. His seat was at the end of the Choir, and he shared a kneeling bench with a couple of the members of the Choir (it was the teenaged girls choir that Sunday). He tried to stand for the Final Blessing, but his cincture had gotten caught under the kneeling bench. He tried inconspicuously to tell the girls who were kneeling on it to release it, but it took some doing before they caught on. He and they and just about everybody else was cracking up by then.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
No worries, cornflower. Old habits die hard. [Smile]
She's actually a minister now, so she got over the embarrassment at some point.

- edited for typo.

[Smile]
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've probably posted this before, but it's a story my daughter has never been allowed to forget.
She was about three or four and was sitting next to me during the Eucharistic prayers. It was an 11am service and breakfast had been a long time ago. My stomach rumbled gently and my daughter said in a very loud voice, "Mummy, if you fart, you should say 'Excuse me'."

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two moments-

In a high Anglican church in the tropics. Daughter aged about 3, with me at the altar, in the penetrating whisper of small children: "Mummy, Father Api's got no shoes on!"

In a modern UCA church in Australia, a sudden loud shriek from a lady in the middle of the congregation. A mouse had dropped from the ceiling onto her head. It fled!

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Boogie was six years old. Her Dad was the Minister. The church was packed with 400 people, the service being translated into 6 languages. (SOWETO 1960s)

Little Boogie was mauling round on baked mud floor with the other children, as usual, at the front of the church. It was hot, the roof was corrugated iron, the service was very long ...

Little Boogie had an uncomfortable, itchy feeling down below. Felt in her knickers - and produced a foot long worm!

She wasn't worried, she was curious, so she held it up and shouted 'look daddy, look what I found in my knickers!'

I was scooped up by a huge lady and taken to her small house, put on a bed and given medicine. I didn't mind this (always being one for enjoying fuss and new experiences) but I was confused about the medicine as I didn't feel poorly at all.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I have told before on this board this tale but it is a good one.

At the time I attended a small Methodist Churchon a Sunday evening. Its worship space was a multipurpose hall during the week.

This particular time we had a rather high Methodist preaching and his topic was the sanctity of communion. He kept as a sign of the congregation's reverence indicating what he thought was a rather splendid communion table.

The only thing was that it was a pool table used by a youth group on a Friday covered with a splendid drape so it did not distract from worship.

The communion table if you knew was in plain sight. It was a small side table something similar to this 19th Century one but a lot more battered. They normally had it stored just by the fire exit to the carpark. Needless to say, the congregation was actually the lowest of low Methodists.

The lady I sat beside, a stalwart of the congregation and I were in giggles the whole time.

Jengie

[edited for clarity]

[ 06. August 2016, 10:46: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Marama:
Two moments-

In a high Anglican church in the tropics. Daughter aged about 3, with me at the altar, in the penetrating whisper of small children: "Mummy, Father Api's got no shoes on!"

In a modern UCA church in Australia, a sudden loud shriek from a lady in the middle of the congregation. A mouse had dropped from the ceiling onto her head. It fled!

Haha! I'm surprised the lady didn't flee! [Smile]
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
I think I have told before on this board this tale but it is a good one.

At the time I attended a small Methodist Churchon a Sunday evening. Its worship space was a multipurpose hall during the week.

This particular time we had a rather high Methodist preaching and his topic was the sanctity of communion. He kept as a sign of the congregation's reverence indicating what he thought was a rather splendid communion table.

The only thing was that it was a pool table used by a youth group on a Friday covered with a splendid drape so it did not distract from worship.

The communion table if you knew was in plain sight. It was a small side table something similar to this 19th Century one but a lot more battered. They normally had it stored just by the fire exit to the carpark. Needless to say, the congregation was actually the lowest of low Methodists.

The lady I sat beside, a stalwart of the congregation and I were in giggles the whole time.

Jengie

[edited for clarity]

Hm, I didn't know there was high or low Methodist...I suppose I always assumed Methodism was 'low'....maybe because of the simplicity of their buildings (the ones I've seen). It's funny, sometimes, what pretensions we have
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Little Boogie was six years old. Her Dad was the Minister. The church was packed with 400 people, the service being translated into 6 languages. (SOWETO 1960s)

Little Boogie was mauling round on baked mud floor with the other children, as usual, at the front of the church. It was hot, the roof was corrugated iron, the service was very long ...

Little Boogie had an uncomfortable, itchy feeling down below. Felt in her knickers - and produced a foot long worm!

She wasn't worried, she was curious, so she held it up and shouted 'look daddy, look what I found in my knickers!'

I was scooped up by a huge lady and taken to her small house, put on a bed and given medicine. I didn't mind this (always being one for enjoying fuss and new experiences) but I was confused about the medicine as I didn't feel poorly at all.

I should think that that was at least understandable given those conditions...but can you imagine how much more embarassing that would be if somehow something like that occurred in the middle of a service in some English Cathedral or something! With the Bishop doing confirmations or whatever! The mind boggles [Smile]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are very definitely high and low Methodists in the UK. The high Methodist will have weekly communion, an altar rail with people coming forward. The low Methodist service will resemble a Congregationalist service, people served in pews, monthly services at most and little liturgy. Most are somewhere in between.

The origins of the different practices actual stem back to prior to the 1930s merger.

Jengie

[ 06. August 2016, 18:39: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
There are very definitely high and low Methodists in the UK. The high Methodist will have weekly communion, an altar rail with people coming forward. The low Methodist service will resemble a Congregationalist service, people served in pews, monthly services at most and little liturgy. Most are somewhere in between.

The origins of the different practices actual stem back to prior to the 1930s merger.

Jengie

Oh right, thanks for that info [Smile] . I don't know a lot about Methodism except that I was fascinated by its founder John Wesley and have read a couple of books about him. I have to say, I'm not sure that I'd have gone down too well with him, he seemed to be so self-disciplined...but then, I should think he'd have had to be made of strong stuff to achieve everything that he did, having in effect been kicked out of the CoE, and having to face hostile crowds. And from what I can gather he and his new 'church' had a tremendous transforming affect on whole groups of people at the time
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have two large sheets of paper, as one was not big enough, for all the funny things said in the church office. Most of it is specific to us and would not seem funny to others but some other bits are really great.

"He comes in here does his business and then just leaves..."
"We should have a Pharisee buzzer!" (for sermons) [Killing me]
"Do you have a ruler in the office?", "Yes, Anne is the ruler of the office!"

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps this doesn't quite belong here but this is what happened to me at church this morning. It's a hot day in London town and I was wearing my thinnest, lightest pair of linen trousers. As I was bustling around before the service helping set up, an elderly female member of the congregation came up to me and informed me she could see my pink knickers under my trousers ....

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine cycled to church one winter's evening. She was a bit late and slipped into the pew just at the start of the opening prayer. At its end, the person behind tapped her on the shoulder and said, "You've still got a flashing red light attached to the back of your jacket".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Perhaps this doesn't quite belong here but this is what happened to me at church this morning. It's a hot day in London town and I was wearing my thinnest, lightest pair of linen trousers. As I was bustling around before the service helping set up, an elderly female member of the congregation came up to me and informed me she could see my pink knickers under my trousers ....

[Roll Eyes]

Did you have a cardigan or something you could tie round your waist? That's like when you wear a skirt, and then realise that when you're out in bright light, it suddenly becomes kind of transparent [Frown]
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
A friend of mine cycled to church one winter's evening. She was a bit late and slipped into the pew just at the start of the opening prayer. At its end, the person behind tapped her on the shoulder and said, "You've still got a flashing red light attached to the back of your jacket".

That's the kind of thing that would happen to me. I remember once going to a service at a church that I sometimes attended as well as my usual one. I went up for Communion and when I came back and sat down I saw this trail of footprints going all the way up to the front and back. To my horror I realised they were mine! I had probably also arrived on my pushbike and, having to find somewhere to lock it up, had walked across some sort of builders' detritus without realising (it was dark if I remember). I'm not sure that I dared to go back to that church again for a long time, if ever
[Eek!]
On another occasion, I think it was probably a funeral or something equally solemn, I remembered to put my mobile phone on silent, but unfortunately had placed it on the wooden pew beside me. Someone started phoning me, and as the 'vibrate' function was still switched on, the sound was hugely amplified in the dead quiet of the church. Oh my goodness, I could have died then and there myself!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016