homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bible theme for a restaurant (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bible theme for a restaurant
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would a Biblical-themed restaurant be like?

I envisage it as with waiters clad in sackcloth, but glad to have a Job. The Friday menu would, obviously, have tiny portions of loaves and fishes (all different kinds) on small plates on a little conveyor belt.

On other days, there could be the Samson Steak, a 14oz piece of meat with a honey glaze. Dessert could include Eve’s Pudding.

Other suggestions welcome...

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'What's the soup today?'

'Mess of pottage. It always is.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forbidden fruit salad, anyone?

Be prepared for a surprise if you order the bottled water.

[ 12. August 2016, 11:47: Message edited by: Sipech ]

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
'What's the soup today?'

'Mess of pottage. It always is.'

With all the Manna you want.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fresh meat, served from a sheet that descends from the ceiling. Butchery not included in the service.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two sections; clean and unclean food (not the fight club kind though!)

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quail, cooked in different ways for each day of the year (except Saturdays). Again, served with manna on the side.

Like Ronnie Barker's Rook restaurant, but kosher.

[ 12. August 2016, 12:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a restaurant in Keighley, West Yorkshire, if I remember rightly, that was run by Born-Again Christians and was imaginatively titled, 'The Born-Again Christian Restaurant'.

I don't know whether it's still going. I never went there when I lived 'oop north'.

Is the term 'Born-Again Christian' still in vogue?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we must be born again.
Why would it go out of fashion?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
There was a restaurant in Keighley, West Yorkshire, if I remember rightly, that was run by Born-Again Christians and was imaginatively titled, 'The Born-Again Christian Restaurant'.

Were infidels admitted? And, if so, did they receive a discount of they committed their life to Jesus? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were the customers lions, with a menu of born-again Christians?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a chippy in North Wales (Rhosllanrechrugog) called Taste And See (that the Lord is good)!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Were the customers lions, with a menu of born-again Christians?

[Smile]

You will, of course, remember the restaurant that served the Piece of Cod beyond all Understanding. (Actually in the version I read it wasn't a restaurant but a railway Dining Car - there aren't many of them about these days!)

[ 12. August 2016, 12:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

PS One of the "Pullman Dining" menus for Great Western trains features "Roast Monkfish" ... not Biblical, but will it do?
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Locusts and wild honey?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fast-no-food.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The kitchen will be well stocked. One small jar of oil, one small jar of flour, large containers of water, five small barley loaves, two small fish.

They can scrounge bed from the guy next door, even if he's gone to bed.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it difficult to imagine how they would present a bill, and if they did how they would ever collect the money.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The kitchen will be well stocked. One small jar of oil, one small jar of flour, large containers of water, five small barley loaves, two small fish.

They can scrounge bed from the guy next door, even if he's gone to bed.

The guy next door doesn't have a bed, but he does have a stable.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"The Desert Place Diner" - fish sandwiches are a speciality, served in a basket by the owner's young son.

It's only open in the evenings and diners (who have to suggest on the grass) are requested to pick up their own crumbs afterwards.

[ 12. August 2016, 15:13: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be something that can be done on a Judgment Day theme with an open pizza oven on one side and a well stocked wine rack on the other. I'd offer seating by the oven to our praise band.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Judgement Day is the tastings evening. You're given a plate of small, mysterious offerings (some of them are burnt) and you try to identify them. You are also handed a tray of small glasses that look as if they contain water, but actually don't. You record all your guesses on a crackly parchment scroll that's usually difficult to keep unrolled.

Each correct guess is greeted by a fanfare then silence for about half an hour, and when you've finally filled in as much of the crackly scroll as you can, and got fed up with the succession of small plates and watery drinks, you are led to a table where you're served a satisfying plate of roast lamb and a glass of good red.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

But that would take ages - I hope they've worked out a good deal with a local late-night taxi service (?"Jehu's Chariots").

Thinking of Jehu ... I don't think "The Elijah Barbecue" would be too successful. All the food (and, indeed, the whole restaurant) would get burned to the ground, after which all the customers would be soaked.

[ 12. August 2016, 16:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Judgement Day is the tastings evening. You're given a plate of small, mysterious offerings (some of them are burnt) and you try to identify them. You are also handed a tray of small glasses that look as if they contain water, but actually don't. You record all your guesses on a crackly parchment scroll that's usually difficult to keep unrolled.

Each correct guess is greeted by a fanfare then silence for about half an hour, and when you've finally filled in as much of the crackly scroll as you can, and got fed up with the succession of small plates and watery drinks, you are led to a table where you're served a satisfying plate of roast lamb and a glass of good red.

Do you finish by casting the Chef into the oven?
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If 12 people turn up, they each have a portion of a Levites concubine.

If you try to run away without paying, they send Jael after you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't conform to the dress code, you'll be tossed out into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
If you try to run away without paying, they send Jael after you.

And then you are Jaeled for non-payment.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this and immediately thought of burnt offerings.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fatted calf, served with gape of the vine, but of course no pork.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
You're given a plate of small, mysterious offerings (some of them are burnt) and you try to identify them.

A Tapas bar then ...

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
A fatted calf, served with gape of the vine, but of course no pork.

If we are going Levitical, no badger either.

---

The beef has to be roast by splitting the carcass and putting fire down the middle.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A place flowing with milk and honey.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maximum Occupancy Not To Exceed 144,000

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BYOB - you bring a bottle of water, they turn it into wine.

Now that's my kind of restaurant ... [Two face]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Isaiah Special: a feast of rich food, a feast of well-matured wines, of rich food filled with marrow, of well-matured wines strained clear.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever they serve, on the way out after your meal you can stop by the front desk for one of their sacramints.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The food is brought to you by ravens.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Today's Special: All-you-can-eat loaves and fish. (Sorry, no carry-out.)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you order fish, or an egg, or bread, that's what you'll be served -- not a snake, a scorpion, or a stone.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to bring at least a selection of your enemies, so that the (plentiful) food can be served in their presence.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
BYOB - you bring a bottle of water, they turn it into wine.

Now that's my kind of restaurant ... [Two face]

Depends how much they charge for corkage. [Devil]
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it time to revisit the Cena Cypriani?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I don't know. But if it really was written by the ci-devant Bishop of Carthage, then the restaurant of that name should clearly be serving Lamb Tagine with Couscous ... and, of course, red wine.

Yum - yum: I want to go there NOW! (Oh, forgot, we've got a roast cooking in the oven and it'll be ready in half an hour).

[ 13. August 2016, 17:16: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Hello, I'm Mary. I'll be your server tonight." [listens to order] "Let me see if we have that." [calling in to kitchen] "Martha, do we have any . . . ."

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandy Toksvig said she wanted to open a delicatessen in Galilee. She would call it "Cheeses of Nazareth".
Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Sandy Toksvig said she wanted to open a delicatessen in Galilee. She would call it "Cheeses of Nazareth".

That makes me think of this classic Life of Brian clip

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I remember a cookbook* from many years ago with one chapter titled "What a Friend We have in Cheeses."

*I think it was Helen Gurley Brown's "Single Girl's Cookbook."

--------------------
~Tortuf

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call the restaurant "Bitter Herbs."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

That makes me think of this classic Life of Brian clip
On that theme, I don't suppose rich Imperialistic tidbits wouldn't work in a Biblically themed restaurant.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Mudfrog, I was thinking of the term or phrase itself, not necessarily what it denotes.

And as you'll be well aware, there are various theological perspectives on the issue of regeneration.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016