homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Possible Vacation trip

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Possible Vacation trip
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's that time of the year again. I need to figure out where to go next spring, roughly in the last two weeks or so of May/early June. My biggest limitation is that I do not have a car. Luckily, I like to hike.

One possibility is Nova Scotia: fly into Halifax, take a bus to somewhere in the Annapolis valley, go hiking, travel to Cape Breton island and go hiking there. (The Cabot trail sounds intriguing.) There are other interesting parts of Nova Scotia.

Another possibility is to visit southwest England: fly into Heathrow, take a train west, and stay at several spots for a few days each, probably Salisbury (tour of Stonehenge?), Devon and Cornwall. There are many interesting little towns and sights.

I know Britain has plenty of buses; I am less sure about Nova Scotia.

What do you think?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are into hiking and doing South West England then I would suggest you look at doing part of South West Costal Path. I have not done any of that, but have done parts of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path and the Northumbria Coastal Path. Both were enjoyable. There tends to be natural stops at regular intervals, not too steep hills and a lot of fresh air. You could also explore the Cornish Saints many of whose churches are close to the coast.

Oh the company Journeying might even have a holiday planned for that area next year. If so think easy walking, lots of sight seeing and Christianity light.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The south west coastal path is great. Personally, although Stonehenge is iconic, I think Avebury is even better. Wells, Glastonbury, Bath and Salisbury are all worth a visit. Loads of other places depending on what you like to see or do? Historic, landscape, gardens, prehistoric, medieval, Victorian, cathedrals, little rural churches/villages, etc?
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Another possibility is to visit southwest England: fly into Heathrow, take a train west, and stay at several spots for a few days each, probably Salisbury (tour of Stonehenge?), Devon and Cornwall. There are many interesting little towns and sights.

You may find Stonehenge a bit disappointing. It's gone very theme-parkish, and you aren't allowed close up to the stones. Also you now have to book in advance for a timed ticket, and get a shuttle bus from the visitor centre to the stones. In the summer quite a lot of tourists will be trying to do that. It is featured as a major attraction so getting there will not be a problem.

Salisbury is nice, and the cathedral is interesting. I've stayed in Salisbury a few times; it's a good base for the surrounding area and would enable you to explore Bath, Winchester or Portsmouth, and move on west if you wanted.

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about train and bus connections, but if you do go to Devon, I think Clovelly's well worth a visit...in fact I think there's a coastal path there. All round Hartland Point is nice too...there are so many lovely and interesting places in the South West.
The above poster is right...Stonehenge is interesting, but was better years ago when it wasn't such a kerfuffle to visit it. It might be more interesting if you were to go there at the summer solstice when loads of colouful characters go there and stay up all night (so I've been told)

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you a cyclist? We cycled in Cape Breton last summer. In the Halifax greater municipality, busses go quite a ways out. As we have rellies in Halifax, we haven't used. But understand them to be good. I suspect there are busses to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. Nice day trip from Halifax.

Trails that go along the coast in Cape Breton. Old railway right of ways. We started in Port Hood on the east coast of Cape Breton and cycled between bed and breakfasts on rented bikes. Returning to where we started. 60 km in a day on a bike was easy. Mostly flat.

In Halifax you can take ferries or hired boats to some islands and spend a happy day. I think it was McNabs Island we spent a day exploring.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are buses all over the Maritimes through, wait for it, Maritime Bus. You can also take the train from Halifax to Truro, Amherst, and Moncton, among other places.
If you think you might like to get onto cycle touring, I recommend Warm Showers. It is like couch surfing, but for cyclists.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016