homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They're looking at a permanent home in the Borders for it, although it seems to be generating some controversy (why would you spend money on that rather than a new school or whatever) - the tapestry take on it is here. No idea if they'd sew it together though.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Changing the subject, tonight it is snowing in Stirling and settling. I hope it has gone by morning (although judging by the temperature today I'm not going to hold my breath. Brrrr) as I have to drive the Elf Lass to nursery which happens to be in beautiful countryside but involves driving down a scary windy country road. Eek.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eek indeed - drive carefully. [Votive]

We had blowing snow for most of the afternoon today (although it only amounted to a few inches) and now we've got blowing rain, which at least might clear some of the snow ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still snowing here - the sczlet went to nursery all dressed up for snowman building! Drive safely Jack.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perfect spring day here. The water butt has a skim of ice, but I'm looking out at a clear blue sky, and a bright day.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm heading south tomorrow, so I hope there won't be any transport delays. (wibble)
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope you get there safely, NEQ. Surely the trains will be okay. Have a great time.

I live close to sea level in the warmer west, so although we had a few flurries of snow yesterday, nothing is lying.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'm very excited. I am under strict instructions to shut up, and remain anonymous. Proud mothers are, apparently, embarrassing. Although despairing mothers posting on the "Help! I've got a teenager" thread are also embarrassing, so my embarrassing mother credentials are pretty solid.

The least the North East Loon can win tomorrow is £500, plus good publicity! [Yipee]

[ 03. March 2015, 10:43: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it turns out Stirling looks lovely when it's covered in 2" of snow, but the roads are less lovely - the main roads were pretty clear, but the side roads were varying levels of hairy this morning! It seems to be melting now, so it looks less lovely covered in 2" of slush, I'm now just a bit worried about it freezing overnight as that will turn the place (or at least our road) into a skidpan.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The pavements here were covered in Patches of Treachery™ this morning, turning me into Hobbling Piglet ... [Eek!]

PS Well done, North East Loon! [Yipee]

[ 05. March 2015, 14:12: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to North East Loon! Were you an embarassment or did you manage to control yourself NEQ?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thanks, Sarasa! I think I just squeaked in as "acceptable." It was an excellent day.

It's been a busy week, as I stayed down south to take part in the March of Women in Glasgow on Sat, which involved dressing in a long white dress, suffragette sash, hat, rosette and white gloves and marching from Glasgow Women's Library to Glasgow Green. Great fun!

Then today I was back in my suffragette frock for an International Women's Day event which included a Nigerian Gospel choir singing songs in the languages Mary Slessor spoke when she was in Nigeria. It was brilliant!

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fjonadc/4685887973/

I can not get this just one picture, but you can also click o the right and left of it - and it shows much of Scotland and Blairgowrie where I lived.
I also have where my parents and there parents were put down and i would like to do that for me and my married one who is dead. But they have changed the people in charge and I do not know how the contact the others.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The loon on TV.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to him. Well done.

It was good to be able to see the clip. Too often news clips etc can't be seen down here. Thanks.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
The loon on TV.

Brilliant! They did a great job of making the station as eerie as it was in the book. Hope we'll be there for the next completely illegible book signing.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done, North East Loon! [Yipee]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful! I must search out a copy whilst in England after Easter. Is he at Waterstones?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks like it

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to say I'm really jealous. Hope you have clear skies on Friday morning. Wish I was there.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is he weather getting OK ? How will it get fine !
I always love to camp in Scotland in various places to get to. I always enjoy when it is lovely blue sky and warm and dry as I camp.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

There's been a lovely clear blue sky here, daisymay, but it's not warm!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My sister and niece have just come back from a few days in Orkney, and judging by their photographs, they had absolutely gorgeous weather.

**stifles Green-eyed Monster** [Devil]

Don't know about heat - you can't really tell from the pictures, but it was certainly sunny and bright.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it was up to 20 or 21 degrees (Celsius) - much warmer and nicer than what we East Anglian folk had, shivering under grey skies ...

Mind you, it's lovely this morning.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I think it was up to 20 or 21 degrees (Celsius) ...

In Orkney in April? Really??? [Eek!]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Don't you just mean "In Orkney? Really??"? The time of year is irrelevant in expresisng surprise at those temperatures.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I see on the BBC News this morning that Google StreetView has gone on the water, with views from Loch Ness included. The seem to have found a great day to take the pictures, from the bit I've looked at.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Oh, and a link thingy

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a very intriguing article about a scientific "victim" of Nessie. It poses all sorts of questions, not least about the ways in which scientific institutions find it hard to cope with heterodox views.

Or perhaps he was just unpleasant to his colleagues and management were delighted to find an excuse for sacking him?

[ 21. April 2015, 06:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh My!

I am heading off on a group camping trip tomorrow afternoon. There's heavy snow early on Saturday morning forecast by the BBC. Good thing it's a heavy canvas tent and will be full of nice warm bodies.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Exactly where will you camp ? I also hope it will be OK as you are there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Because I hate camping with a passion normally reserved for axe-murderers, I find it hard to summon up sympathy, but ...

Seriously though - I hope you don't get snow, and enjoy yourselves.

[Two face]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Good news for most of those camping in August; all the midgies will be heading for the midgie-fest in Dumfries.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Because I hate ....axe-murderers.

[Two face]

Oy! My great uncle was an axe-murderer! Some axe-murderers are perfectly nice people from respectable families!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So - how many axes did he murder? And did he do it nicely? We ought to know.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Machine gun jammed at Ypres. Hacked advancing Germans to death with trench hatchet. Distinguished Conduct Medal.

How many? When he was mentioned in dispatches, it said he hacked three to death. Regimental history said five. Local newspaper said nine.....

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're really rather chuffed with the family axe murderer, aren't you?

I suppose I do dine out occasionally on the rellie with the horse, mask, pistol, and frilly shirt (no, not Adam Ant!)...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Yup, always handy to remind my husband of my family's capabilities!

He got through the war unscathed, unlike his wife who died in childbirth in 1916 or his sister, my great grandmother, who died of Spanish flu in 1918.

Do tell more about your masked ancestor!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What? This one? No, not Solomon Joel Cohen, Dick Turpin!

Sadly I can't prove a direct link (and, as far as I am aware, he had no recorded children), but the same surname crops up on both sides of the family in the same village that he was born in.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I understand there may be some very distant link in my wider family to this bloke.

He grew up in Stromness - no wonder he turned into a bad egg ...

A Kirkwallian Has Spoken. [Devil]

PS Thanks for the Adam and the Ants video, Sandemaniac - that was a nice little blast from the past! [Big Grin]

[ 25. April 2015, 01:40: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I have just been in the Scottish kirk in London at 1pm. It is a lovely one!
And on Sunday I should be able to go at 6.30pm to it.
It's beautiful and also very really nice people!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I have just been in the Scottish kirk in London at 1pm. It is a lovely one!
And on Sunday I should be able to go at 6.30pm to it.
It's beautiful and also very really nice people!

I hope you have a great time there, Daisymay.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry folks, I forgot to report back after the camping weekend. Fortunately the weather was fairly kind, some rain on Friday night and snow showers on the Saturday then a little bit of hail as we took the tents down. The camp set up can be seen here and was nice and cosy for 13 of us.

Sad news yesterday about the Royal Station in Ballater, fortunately no-one was hurt and hopefully there will be a rebuild.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You had rain and snow showers while you were camping and you think the weather was "fairly kind"? [Eek!]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Don't forget the hail.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Though, the last time I camped I finished off with three broken tent poles. Though, with some liberal application of gaffer tape on one of the poles the tent stayed up and we stayed dry.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
You had rain and snow showers while you were camping and you think the weather was "fairly kind"? [Eek!]

Oh yes, the weather was glorious on Friday afternoon, rainy only after we were mostly fed and overnight. Saturday morning was bright and fairly warm, I'm not sure what the weather did for the folks who headed for Balmoral but the walk around Loch Muick was mostly sunny with 4-5 short snow showers over the course of 3-4 hours and the evening was clear but a bit chilly (this is where a canvas tent with candle chandelier comes into its own, warms up in no time with 21 tealights going above a dozen warm bodies). Then Sunday was bright while we ate our overnight oats but the grey clouds rolled in so we decided to get the tents down and managed one before the hail started. Hail's not as bad as rain; it bounces off!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry, TTP, but you can still keep it. This little piglet likes her Creature Comforts. [Smile]

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Fair enough, Piglet, I was wearing thermals, jammies and wrapped in two sleeping bags and a silk liner on that second night - nice and toasty but not for everyone!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016