homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll admit I'm the victim of a Really Duff Camping Experience. When I was about 10 or 11 I went to a Girl Guide camp and I was allocated the space next to the tent-flap. It rained, and I woke up in a freezing, wet sleeping-bag, which has rather coloured my view of camping.

I like sleeping in places with walls ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same here, Piglet, except that in my case a fellow guide deliberately left the edge of my groundsheet outside the tent and when a deluge ensued in the night, I got soaked. I figure she did me a favour in the long run, though. I'm also a big fan of creature comforts. Even glamping (is that a word outside Australia?) would be a stretch for me.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, glamping is a word outside Australia.

Though you haven't lived until waking up snug and warm inside a sleeping bag aware from the air on your face that it's chilly. Then getting out of the warm sleeping bag and opening the tent to find the river almost frozen solid. Which happened to a friend and me in Glen Coe one year. At which point with all the water on the site frozen we did make use of the local cafe for breakfast. Hot breakfast.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, no, Alan - I think I'll live vicariously though you on that one!
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe just join us in the Cafe & Craft Shop?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Sounds like a plan! [Big Grin]
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have fond memories of the Cally Rally, which is a Scout / Guide weekend camp held annually in late October. It was always freezing, but brilliant. Activities included rafting and canoeing on the Caledonian canal, both guaranteed to make you both cold and soaking wet.

Then there was the Saturday night disco, when cold Scouts and Guides did their very best to warm each other up....

Happy days!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Then there was the Saturday night disco, when cold Scouts and Guides did their very best to warm each other up....

Happy days!

Ah, when those in the know realised how appropriate the old designations were - "The boy scouts, and the girl guides".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We, 3 children, are going to the north of London to camp on Monday (the school is out for then).
There is a place close to it to for children to play and also we get to eat there.
I hope it is dry and warm! It takes us a while to go up on the train.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisy may, we camped a lot when family were younger. I do hope it stays warm and dry for you.

We once spent a night in car with two young children, a toddler in nappies and a large, wet German Shepherd, on edge of a ford which was impassible due to heavy rain. We had spent some hours in winter dark packing up our large tent and all belongings. We had been camped next to a river and State Emergency Services told us to get out as there had been an enormous amount of rain upstream. Every time I checked river level as we packed after a week's stay, it was higher.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now is it dry to camp either up the north or near Mull ? Maybe I should go later... when it might be dry then.
I had a good time with the children camping north of London, dry and warm and lovely places for them to play.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Isle of Mull is one of the wettest places in Britain, with three times the rainfall of London. The driest month is May but even that has rain on an average of 50% of the days. August is one of the wettest, with rain possible on about three days out of four.

Of course you may be lucky; and of course it doesn't necessarily rain for the whole day - indeed weather in that part of the world can change very quickly.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I have now organized to go up on the train to go to Inverness and train up to Dingwall where I will camp. i will go on Wednesday at night on the train. I hope that it is not always wet while I am there. I have been camping there a long time ago.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FWIW it's rather damp in the Western Isles at the moment....
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hasn't that sentence got three words too many? [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i.e. "The Western Isles"?? [Devil] [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glorious sunshine today in North East Scotland.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hasn't that sentence got three words too many? [Devil]
On the same note, I give you a BBC article about the new 'Macbeth' film with Michael Fassbender:
quote:
"It very quickly became 'the Scottish play' for us, " Fassbender says. "But the worst luck we had was the weather. That was terrible."
Justin Kurzel, who made his directing debut in 2011, adds that there was "a supernatural element to filming in Skye in January."

Yeah. 'Luck'. [Paranoid]

linky

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It was lovely in Dingwall and I took my sister to walk by the water and up the place to walk up high there and seeing the shops. It was lovely there. And it was not very wet as we camped, and dry yesterday with blue sky !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Great to hear you had good weather and a good time at Dingwall.

On filming on Skye and considering it unlucky to get rain every day ... [Disappointed] A bit of research and they could have not only anticipated that but come back celebrating their good luck at having a few minutes when it wasn't raining.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My husband and I spent a few hours on Skye in the summer of 1967. Not a drop of rain fell. I didn't realize that we were lucky.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

In the summer the rain stays away. It gives the midges a chance to swarm and eat people.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Just look at poor MacPhail in "The Vital Spark": go to Chapter XV. As Para Handy says, "The Congo's no' to be compared wi' the West o' Scotland when ye come to insects".

By the way, my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

[ 09. June 2015, 12:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

Quite right - or flies' cemetery - two layers of pastry with raisins in between. D. calls it "fly pie".

Re: holidays in the west of Scotland - when I was about 10 we spent a fortnight touring round the west coast with a caravan (including trips to Skye and Stornoway) and we only had half an hour of rain the whole time we were away.

Not that anyone believed us when we got back ... [Paranoid]

[ 09. June 2015, 14:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
In the summer the rain stays away. It gives the midges a chance to swarm and eat people.

There's a wonderful phrase in one of the Hamish Macbeth mysteries. Hamish goes indoors "pursued by a posse of midges".

Moo

[ 09. June 2015, 21:08: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's winter down here and last week had very cold nights and early mornings. I was surprised to see a mosquito trying to beat its way through glass balcony door to escape to outside. I had thought it was too cold for them to be around.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... "pursued by a posse of midges" ...

Presumably not quite as scary as Shakespeare's Exit, pursued by a bear. [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

Quite right - or flies' cemetery - two layers of pastry with raisins in between. D. calls it "fly pie"...
Garibaldi Biscuits!

And one of the better desserts at school dinners was the squashed flies one, with custard!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nearly thirty years ago on a holiday to visit family during a Scottish summer, we had one sunny day per week (usually Thursday for some strange reason). By contrast, four years ago we were there in May, and only had one rainy day the whole time we were north of the border, including three glorious sunny days on Skye. Back again in September - what are our chances for a repeat?
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the only answer is "don't hold your breath!"

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Re: holidays in the west of Scotland - when I was about 10 we spent a fortnight touring round the west coast with a caravan (including trips to Skye and Stornoway) and we only had half an hour of rain the whole time we were away.

Not that anyone believed us when we got back ... [Paranoid]

When we got married a few years back, we spent our honeymoon (the first 2 weeks of January) on Harris. We'd watch the weather forecast on the telly each evening, and for most of those 2 weeks the only part of the UK that you could actually see on the satellite weather maps were the Outer Hebrides - the rest of the country were covered in (rain and snow) cloud. I think we only had 1 day where we had to stay in the cottage due to rain - the rest of the time, although it did rain it was overnight, and we were able to get out and about exploring during the day, including sunny days on the beach.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My observation on how you tell the Scot from the English in Scotland when both are on holiday. No they both have packed rain gear. The difference is what they pack for when its not raining. The English pack sun screen, the Scots pack midge repellant.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, Boots already do Suncream with an insect repellant combined, but not sure how effective it would be on midgies

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aaaaand, as the weekend approaches and those who've spent the last week looking through office windows at the blazing sunshine spill out into the air - it cools and dims. The trees fidget in the onshore breezes that bring the haar. Saturday will be 10 degrees down, and wet. All is normal once again.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Jengie Jon:
The English pack sun screen, the Scots pack midge repellant

I packed both! And didn't use either, though I didn't entirely escape the midgies. Mostly though, it was too windy for them....
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Solas Festival is starting today for the weekend, we are off there just for the day tomorrow. I know of a few current and former shipmates going, but will keep my eyes peeled for others!

In other news - weather. Bah. Anyone would think it was October.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Solas Festival is starting today ...

So is the St. Magnus Festival in Orkney - the one time of year I feel just a peedie bit homesick.

As it coincides with our Patronal Festival at the Cathedral here, there's no mission of me getting to it any time soon. [Frown]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I volunteered to provide a star-shaped cookie cutter for today's Junior church. Realised this morning that the cookie cutter I had remembered as being star shaped was in fact snowflake shaped.

Given today's weather, snowflake shaped was appropriate. [Disappointed]

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In anticipation of passing that way on Wednesday, I've just checked the whisky stocks. We still have about 1/4 of a bottle of Deanston (very nice if you like it smooth), and have never got round to opening the bottle of Tobermory. I think it's six years since we bought either...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it ok if I drop in a bit from that other thread? I've been staying in the UK since last May, and I'm looking for an excuse to go to Scotland somewhere in the next couple of months (I've never been there). I'm sure that you'll be able to come up with something! [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have lots of amazing places to visit! What are you interested in? History? scenery? literature? food? drink? sea shores? city life? castles? galleries? large cathedrals? small churches? gardens? pandas? - we have them all. Oh, and rain. If you like rain, you'll love Scotland!
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
North East Quine: We have lots of amazing places to visit! What are you interested in? History? scenery? literature? food? drink? sea shores? city life? castles? galleries? large cathedrals? small churches? gardens? pandas? - we have them all. Oh, and rain. If you like rain, you'll love Scotland!
Everything! (Except the rain [Smile] ) Add some live music in there and it's perfect for me! [Big Grin]

What I'm thinking about is spending a longish weekend (so I guess it would be confined to the Glasgow–Edinburgh region?) If it could be combined with meeting some Shipmates it would be wonderful.

PS pandas?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Edinburgh Zoo has 2 Pandas

The Edinburgh International Festival (and Fringe) takes place in August, therefore the price of accomodation goes up (and availability goes down) and the town population pretty much doubles in size (or so it would seem).

And there are usually plenty of us able to get to most major places for a meet. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been one outside of Edinburgh for a while.

PS - all are welcome in this thread. you don't have to be Scottish or in Scotland to join in [Biased]

[ 01. July 2015, 14:40: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Wet Kipper: PS - all are welcome in this thread. you don't have to be Scottish or in Scotland to join in [Biased]
Thank you, I thought: if Piglet can stick her snout into many of these threads, so can I [Biased]

quote:
Wet Kipper: The Edinburgh International Festival (and Fringe) takes place in August, therefore the price of accomodation goes up (and availability goes down) and the town population pretty much doubles in size (or so it would seem).
August would be difficult for me anyway, since I'll be out of the country for most of the month. I was personally thinking of September (not that I'd want to set the dates for your Shipmeets [Smile] )

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

If you're the guest of honour, you get to set the date !

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Glasgow and Edinburgh are both very accessible.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

quote:
posted by Wed Kipper:
If you're the guest of honour, you get to set the date !

As the kipper says: you tell us when you'll be around, and suggest dates/times that work for you, and we'll all scramble as best we can to get to you. (and yes, central belt is usually good as it's accessible to most of us).
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

The others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a number of the more recent Scotmeets have been entirely because someone has been visiting Scotland at the time and fancied meeting up with Shippies.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are great places (I personally prefer Glasgow, as that's where I lived for several years, but Edinburgh is also a fine place to visit), although (as with any major city) they're both reflective of and entirely different to the wider country, IMO. So a chance at some point to see the countryside would definitely be worth taking. But hey, nobody's restricting you to just the one visit [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Also, kingsfold, it's been far too long! Let's try and make a meet where we can both attend, rather than just one or the other of us!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016