homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also Inverness is a really very nice one to be in ! It is quite high up.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc, I was mad enough to go to Edinburgh for the day to meet orfeo when he was over, so it is possible. (Overnight bus up on Friday night, overnight bus back down on Saturday night)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
... if Piglet can stick her snout into many of these threads, so can I ...

I may live on the other side of the Big Pond, but my British and Scottish credentials are impeccable: I was born in Inverness, lived in Orkney until I married, then in Northern Ireland for 15 years after that. [Biased]

Oh yes, and my Better Half is English, but I don't hold that against him (except when they beat us at rugby) ... [Big Grin]

I think the last Scottish meet was with me: I had a lovely lunch with North East Quine, Cottontail and Wet Kipper in Edinburgh.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alright, if we're talking in September, the weekends that still seem ok to me, are the weekend of the 12th and the weekend of the 19th, with a slight preference for the second option.

I think I can get to Glasgow relatively easily. Like Curiosity killed ... said, by bus, or (if I buy the tickets in advance) by train.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know this may sound a bit daft, but you may find EasyJet flights that are a lot cheaper than the train. I just looked them up, and you could get from Luton to Glasgow and back on the 4th and 5th of September for about £80*, which is probably a good bit cheaper than the train, unless you've got some sort of rail-card.

Just a thought.

* depending on what time of day you're travelling

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
September is one of the best times to visit Scotland. Midges beginning to die off, fair chance of an Indian summer ...

I'm around for both these weekends you suggest, though I'll be kind of jetlagged on 12th, and panicking about sermons on 19th. But don't let that put you off. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just realised that I was looking up those flights while LeRoc was writing his post, and they're for the wrong weekend.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Piglet, I had thought about that but to be honest, I don't like flying much for various reasons (which is very illogical in my profession). If there is a reasonable way to avoid it, I'd very much prefer to take it.

I had a quick look at train prices, and if I buy beforehand, a single from Milton Keynes to Glasgow will cost £49. And of course, one big advantage is that it is much easier to travel from/to the train station (both in MK and in Glasgow) than to an airport, in terms of time, hassle and money.

And there is definitely something to be said for gliding through the British landscape on a train, while enjoying a beverage of my choice. I'd like that very much.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You need to book those advance train tickets 3 months ahead to get the really cheap deals. I have tickets from London to York in August for £13.60 each way, which is cheaper than flying or petrol, but I was checking daily waiting for that tranche to be released. I have paid under £20 for train tickets to Glasgow.

I was dithering about coming up for orfeo's meet until really late, which was why the coach. Again cheaper tickets are available earlier. Megabus runs a sleeper bus, with proper beds, to Glasgow and Edinburgh at about the same price as those train tickets. Leaves Victoria at about 10:30pm.

It may also be cheaper to travel to and from Glasgow via London. It's usually much cheaper for me to travel oop north to meet my daughter than her come south to meet me.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thunder, lightening and torrential rain here. Flooding in Aberdeen. The North East Man's easiest route home from work is currently impassable. [Frown]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And his fourth easiest route is also now closed, which will push more traffic onto the route I think he will take...
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

And he's home. Left early and got through before his main route was closed.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad he's home. Aberdeen looks to have been pretty bad.

(BTW I was expecting he'd be a North East Loon [Biased] )

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Our son is the North East Loon.

(*cough - speaking of whom *cough* second book *cough* )

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done him [Cool]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to your son, NEQ. Well done.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Somebody posted pictures of partially-submerged cars in Aberdeen and I thought of you, NEQ. Glad to hear NE Man got home safely, and well done NE Loon!

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's times like these I'm very glad to live on a hill and have very deep foundations! There were streams of water flowing along every downhill road as I walked home last night and you're right, Piglet, some of the scenes from low-lying areas were pretty dramatic.

I wonder if planning a BBQ for Thursday night is going to prove wise?

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Our son is the North East Loon.

(*cough - speaking of whom *cough* second book *cough* )

Hooray - we'll be ordering a stack of this one too. Will there be a signing at Waterstone's again?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
I wonder if planning a BBQ for Thursday night is going to prove wise?

There will be at least six major shifts in the weather before then ... who knows?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow is forecast for most of the mountains right up the eastern coast of Australia, as far as Queensland. Coldest season for thirty years. I don't think I would be planning a BBQ.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Crikey - things are getting serious when it's too cold for an Australian to light the barbie*.

Must be the global warming ... [Devil]

* A friend here used to do roast beef on the barbecue on Boxing Day, temperatures in minus numbers notwithstanding; the barbecue was in a sort of shelter not unlike a car-port.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I have been on holiday for the last week. There is this big orange hot thing in the sky and it isn't going away. Day after day, only one type of weather, sunny. And only one type of sky, blue and cloudless.

Oh, for a grey day, intermittent showers, the patter of summer hailstones. How lovely the soft soughing sound of the word dreich. What fantasies are conjured up by the word drookit.

A fellow Scot said to me, wistfully, it is 17 degrees in Edinburgh today, and we both sighed and imagined the bliss of being in Edinburgh.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've got a very dreich day here - please help yourself ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

If I could I would Piglet. I am not designed to cope with high temperatures!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Me neither, NEQ. The top end of my comfort zone is about 20°C, which is expected to be well exceeded here tomorrow. [Frown]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Home! To grey skies and cool breezes. [Axe murder]
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I was at a barbeque with some Scottish friends yesterday. It was lovely, and I finally know what Irn Bru is. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to drink it [Razz]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've never been a huge fan of Irn Bru, although I drank it occasionally as a kid. Some people swear by it as a hangover cure ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The Irn Bru adverts are better than the drink itself.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Made in Scotland ... from GIRRRRRRDERRRRRS! [Big Grin]

Showing my age a bit there ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am a mere Sassenach. I enjoy Irn Bru, especially with fish and chips.

But I cannot distinguish it from Tizer - a statement which my (Scottish) wife finds totally unbelievable.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah - brings back memories of our Irn Bru bake-off from about 3 years ago. NEQ and I had a go at some cupcakes, which didn't actually taste of Irn Bru in the end and weren't in the least bit orange. They were just incredibly sweet.

Personally, I can't abide the stuff. It is like drinking liquid bubblegum. But once you have swallowed down a few mouthfuls, you get past the first shock and somehow have to keep going!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am a big fan of a wee Bru or too, and had a seismic moment just today
I inadvertently picked up a can of Sugar Free* Irn Bru, and was nearly finished before I realised it wasn't the real stuff.
They must have changed the recipe. (it used to be a pale imitation IMHO) I may change my "full fat" ways. My dentist will be pleased (or maybe not, if it means less w*rk for her)

* used to be "Diet" Irn-Bru, which didn't sell well until someone had the brilliant realisation that "Free" and "Sugar" are 2 of the most tempting words to many Scots.

[ 21. July 2015, 21:00: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been to the Scottish kirk today in London at 1pm. It is always really excellent. It also has on Sunday.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

We've clear skies down here in the south - for what is probably the first time this summer. So I'm off outside with my fold down chair and my blanket to watch me some meteors. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope you find them, Cottontail - although it was a nice, clear day I reckon it'll have clouded over by the time they're happening over here.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I did indeed find them, and they were very lovely. [Smile]

I also saw four different satellites scooting about - at least, I assume that is what they were. They were going far too fast to be aeroplanes (several of which I also saw), and all seemed to be heading in the same direction.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

One was probably ISS, the International Space Station. When these discussions come up I wonder where I could go to get dark skies - it's not easy round here.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you know the times that the ISS is visible from the UK then it's easier to know when that's what your seeing. It always travels the same approximate West> East path, and is usually the brightest one you'll see.
As you said, other satellites are easy to recognise as being such, as they don't blink, and seem to go quite fast in a straight line - but they can be from any direction

I was out for about 90 minutes last night - I saw a few meteors and about a dozen different satellites. I also got some pictures of ISS
pictures of ISS - using 30 second long exposures.

in this one you can also see the track of a plane in the lower section of the photo

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

That's interesting - thanks, Wet Kipper. The first one I saw was about the right time, but there were others thereafter, all but one travelling west-east. I had dismissed the one that shot off in a south-easterly direction as a very high-up plane, so it is nice to know that was a satellite too.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Today we went to Crown Court, Scottish, again at 1pm today. It is very good to be there.

They had bible and sinning one.

www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk

We had tea and sweet things to eat after it !

[Link corrected - WW]

[ 13. August 2015, 14:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
They had bible and sinning one.

[Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Version of the Lord's Prayer? "Forgive us our sins", not "Forgive us our trespasses" or "Forgive us our debts"?

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I have made a mistake - it is "singing" and always it is really excellent to sing !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I have made a mistake - it is "singing" and always it is really excellent to sing !

Definitely, singing is good.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The link in Daisymay's post still gave me an error code but this one seems to work:

Crown Court Church

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

Definitely, singing is good.
I'd say sinning can be fun, too!

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I'd say sinning can be fun, too!

As D. is fond of pointing out, where did we get the expression "as miserable as sin"? Sin doesn't have to be miserable ... [Devil]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We were there on Sunday evening and I also went also to day at 1pm. It's always very lovely, at Crown Court, in Covent Garden.

They also told me it was also Mystery Worship a while ago. I have managed to see it - on 2437 in the church places.

I do like visiting it. It's not one I belong to it. I just manage to visit it an it takes a while to get there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016