homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Le Roc, are you still up for a Scottish meet in September?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone around Skye or Kyle of Lochalsh? Mr C and I are looking at taking a cottage for a few days at the end of September/ beginning of October around there.

Cattyish, hoping for fine weather for running.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will be going to the Scottish kirk this evening in London. It is a long way from me and it is lovely and excellent.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hooray for the Tweeddale Railway, opening today!

(Lucky you, we're still waiting for the Ebbw Vale to Newport line to reopen although the line is all there; it's just waiting for re-signalling and has been for ten years!)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just been to the Scottish church this evening. It is always very good. It's a long way from me where I am. It's lovely there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
North East Quine: Le Roc, are you still up for a Scottish meet in September?
I'm sorry; September turned out to be a bit more chaotic than I thought, due to some unexpected visits from the Netherlands. I could try for October (but I'm afraid I'm already quite late and the train tickets will be rather expensive?)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hm, I'd still like to go to Scotland for a weekend. I just found out that Milton Keynes has direct services to Edinburgh too, that seems rather interesting.

November and December are already getting quite full (I'll be out of the UK for most of these months). One possibility might still be 25/26 October. Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Hooray for the Tweeddale Railway, opening today!

Went on it the day after it opened, the day before the Queen (had to check it was safe for her [Biased] ). Then, the next day, we stood at Newtongrange station to see the Queen arrive by steam train and unveil a plaque.

What a superb railway! I can recommend taking a trip from Waverley to the far end (Tweedbank), then walking along the cycle path and alongside the river into the town of Melrose to enjoy the beautiful town and the ancient abbey.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Hm, I'd still like to go to Scotland for a weekend. I just found out that Milton Keynes has direct services to Edinburgh too, that seems rather interesting.

November and December are already getting quite full (I'll be out of the UK for most of these months). One possibility might still be 25/26 October. Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

I'd like to go, but I'm very committed at the end of that week, so I won't know till the last minute if I can pop down.
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a whistlestop tour that took in Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O Groats, Loch Ness, Fort William, Oban and Glasgow .... in 6 days!! Loved your beautiful country.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You must have barely stopped moving.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Just back from a whistlestop tour that took in Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O Groats, ...

You got as far as John O'Groats and didn't go to Orkney??? [Confused]

Next time, eh? [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

I might be free in the daytime, depending on the day, but am unlikely to be free in the evening.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

You need to keep moving in Scotland. To avoid freezing up, going rusty in the rain, or to keep clear of the midges. (I can say this as my [Scottish] wife rarely reads this site!)

[ 13. October 2015, 06:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

You need to keep moving in Scotland. To avoid freezing up, going rusty in the rain, or to keep clear of the midges. (I can say this as my [Scottish] wife rarely reads this site!)
Certainly keeping clear of the midges. You have two options keep moving or make a deal with the devil

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Gracious rebel, what did you see in Aberdeen?
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re. Midges, also go to Chapter 15 of this book. The "Vital Spark": long may her lum reek!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Gracious rebel, what did you see in Aberdeen?

Very very little to be honest. Probably my biggest regret of the whole trip was that although we stayed a night in (the outskirts of) Aberdeen, due to heavy rain, traffic jams, and exhaustion, we didn't actually make it into the city centre.

[ 13. October 2015, 22:14: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Part of Aberdeen city centre is currently a building site, sadly, and the art gallery is closed for refurbishment. I don't think you missed much. If I were advising someone with a single day in Aberdeen I would suggest the university area in Old Aberdeen, not the city centre.

I wonder what tourists make of the current building works, not much probably.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spent one day in Aberdeen, sadly all I could manage. But what a packed day it was - walked from the seafront into the Old Town (university and old cathedral), then right down the street towards the new town (Episcopal and RC cathedral, Maritime museum and shopping area) then back round to the seafront again. Fortunately all in beautiful weather, a wonderful introduction to the granite city.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

That is a good route, Chorister. St Machar's Cathedral, the Chanonry, King's College, High Street are superb. Was the new University library there when you were there?

What was your route into town? King Street? That would take you to the Episcopal Cathedral with its American themed ceiling. Then down Union Street (finest street in the Empire at one point, alas not now) to St Mary's Cathedral? Passing the Mither Kirk and Union Terrace Gardens en route? Then doubling back to the Maritime museum.

An excellent sample of Aberdeen!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just realising it must be at least fifteen years since I was in Aberdeen.

**sigh**

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm very sorry, my life is a bit complex sometimes, and this doesn't always make it easy to plan ahead.

I'm in the UK, and I always wanted to go to Scotland some day, so I should do it now. I booked a train ticket and a hotel in Edinburgh, arriving Saturday 7 November around noon, and leaving Sunday 8 at the end of the afternoon.

I plan to walk around a bit, see if I can visit interesting churches, museums ... If there are Shipmates who have time for a meal or a drink, I'd like that a lot.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc, a specific thread for your visit would possibly get more attention than the general Scottish thread. Put the dates in title to catch attention.

I hope you have a great visit. I don't see that i will be there any time soon, but Scotland is on my bucket list.

[ 18. October 2015, 22:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Take a big bucket. It rains.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Take a big bucket. It rains.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to remember.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But don't bother with an umbrella, because it mostly rains sideways.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Often from several different directions at the same time.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

But you still have daylight in November? [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

For at least an hour or two ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you aren't in shade for three months (what's that place?).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm very sorry, my life is a bit complex sometimes, and this doesn't always make it easy to plan ahead.

I'm in the UK, and I always wanted to go to Scotland some day, so I should do it now. I booked a train ticket and a hotel in Edinburgh, arriving Saturday 7 November around noon, and leaving Sunday 8 at the end of the afternoon.

I plan to walk around a bit, see if I can visit interesting churches, museums ... If there are Shipmates who have time for a meal or a drink, I'd like that a lot.

I think we might be around that weekend. We wouldn't be able to do anything during the evening as we have an under-2, but during the day might be possible.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who's up for an Irn Bru pilgrimage? [Devil]
Anyone tried any of these?

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Iran Bru sorbet is actually very refreshing!

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Once again, the ban on haggis in the US is in the news. This time the suggestion is to change the recipe to get around the ban. BBC News.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I was in the butchers two weeks ago, and the man ahead of me in the queue was ordering sheep's hearts and pigs' teeth. I couldn't work out what sort of meal could be cooked using heart and teeth, so I asked. Turned out he was a science teacher getting supplies for a biology class.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I see on the news that you've got weather there, even giving them names now. It must be getting bad, I hear that Abigail has been upgraded to normal Hebridean weather. Hang in tight.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now they've started naming our storms, we all know what Scotland will be calling the next one (beginning with B). Sadly the Met Office rules out ever officially naming a storm "Bawbag".

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just wondering if Abigail is to be followed by Barbiegail, Carriegail etc all the way to Zoegail.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Either that, or they'll add 'ina' to all the male storm names? So next up would be Barneyina.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some years ago, a cyclone here was given a very unusual name which I have now forgotten. I remember thinking that perhaps the person responsible for naming had consulted a book of baby names. Now there are many sites for such things. It would be easy to consult such a site and move through the alphabet that way.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We were very lucky regarding Abigail - I think we may have got the last ferry from Orkney before it hit (and actually had a very decent crossing). The waves coming in on the coast as we drove south through Sutherland were pretty impressive, and by the time we stopped in Inverness for petrol (as you do) the heavens had opened.

Unfortunately they did that opening thing while D. was obeying the "bong" from the hire car telling him to check the tyre pressure, and he got absolutely drookled.

And the chuffing thing's still bonging ... [Mad]

[ 14. November 2015, 23:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I refuse to comment on the grounds that if I do it will only get me in trouble.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Isn't "in trouble" your default setting? [Big Grin]

The bong is now Not Our Problem; the hire car has gone back (complete with bong).

We had a lovely couple of days with my family in Edinburgh, in particular meeting my new great-nephew, who is 3 months old and completely off the scale on the cute-o-meter. [Smile]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I am going this afternoon at 1 at the Scottish church, kirk, which is in London. My parents belong to it as he come to do work. It is an excellent one.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I see there's a warning of snow this weekend. Although, the amount seems uncertain.
quote:
The Met Office said up to 4cm (1in) of snow could fall at lower levels and to 10cm (3in) above 150m (492ft)
Are those conversions by the Met Office or BBC? Whoever it is needs to be clearer. Is it 4cm (1.57in) or 1in (2.54cm) of snow? The higher ground values are equally confusing, 10cm is 3.94 inches. They managed to get the conversion between m and ft right though.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There was enough snow to be visible on the hills when we were in Edinburgh last weekend; it was falling as wet flakes in the city, but not lying.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Although, the amount seems uncertain.
quote:
The Met Office said up to 4cm (1in) of snow could fall at lower levels and to 10cm (3in) above 150m (492ft)
Are those conversions by the Met Office or BBC? Whoever it is needs to be clearer. Is it 4cm (1.57in) or 1in (2.54cm) of snow? The higher ground values are equally confusing, 10cm is 3.94 inches.
I presume they rounded the inches down after conversion.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We've had about an inch. It's very pretty.

Our neighbour's cat, thwarted by frozen ground and snow from crapping in our veg patch, has realised that the large plant pot on our front door step which is sheltered from snow and remained unfrozen, can be used as a substitute toilet. [Roll Eyes]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had Kirkin' of the Tartans this morning at my parish in St. Louis, Missouri. I wore my full Highland drag, including my woven-in-the-Shetlands-200-year-ago Edmondston plaid, and thought of you.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016