homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've no idea what Kirkin' of the Tartans is.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can you tell us more about it, Rossweisse? It's not something I've come across in Scotland, but it sounds interesting.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't help thinking that a Shetland-knitted plaid probably redefines "warm"!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sorry but it's Scot-American or Scots Diaspora tradition and not something practiced in Scotland.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They used to have a "Kirking of the Council" ceremony in St. Magnus Cathedral, which was attended by the newly-elected members of the Kirkwall Town Council (and later of Orkney Islands Council). I don't know if they still do it or not.

Nothing to do with tartan though (unless you count the uniforms of the Kirkwall City Pipe Band). [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aberdeen has a "Kirking of the Council." Some of our cooncilors are sorely in need of a good kirking.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
North East Quine: Some of our cooncilors are sorely in need of a good kirking.
I'm sorry but in my head, I'm hearing this line pronounced by Private Frazer.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
I am sorry but it's Scot-American or Scots Diaspora tradition and not something practiced in Scotland.

Jengie

Which still doesn't explain what it is. How can someone write so much about something without describing what they're talking about?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My apologies, Alan, for annoying you. I didn't think I'd written that much; I did - mistakenly, obviously - think that the Kirkin' was a Scots ceremony.

It's a celebration of Scotland and family, held in American churches (mostly Presbyterian and Episcopal) since it was invented in 1941. We have a bagpipe band playing indoors, wear our plaids, do a roll call of the clans, and otherwise observe St. Andrew's Day on a Sunday in November when said bagpipe band is available.

I wore my Henderson kilted skirt under my choir robes, and the family's 200-year-old Edmondston plaid over it. Happily, it was a cool day.

Here's more, if you're interested: All about the Kirkin'.

[ 24. November 2015, 19:58: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rossweisse, I assumed Alan was talking about the writer of the article which Jengie posted (the same one as yours), rather than about your post! I must admit, having read the article I'm still not much the wiser as to what the service would involve.

It's really interesting how diaspora communities, no doubt starting off by remembering their former traditions, end up with traditions that evolve themselves until they're entirely new (if that makes sense).

In other news, this week is Scottish Book Week, and I picked up my free copy of Journeys (the free book being given out for this year's Book Week) at the library yesterday. If you click on the link you can download an e-version of the book. I see Diana Gabaldon (author of Outlander) was at Stirling Castle last night as part of the festival, not that I was able to make it. Our vague and very tenuous claim to fame is that in a future (presumaby the next) series, the land near the Elf Lass's nursery (which is fields/farmland mainly) will feature, as they were filming there for a few days last month.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Equally tenuous claim to fame - I know someone who knows someone who has a part in the next Outlanders series.

Rossweisse, I love to hear of the Scottish diaspora evolving in distant places. I also love other diasporas here bringing their own traditions and melding them with ours (though halal haggis isn't a patch on the genuine article!)

One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry. Poor gt gt gt granny had no more luck with the next two men who got her pregnant, but she lived to be 86, so she was obviously made of stern stuff.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
My apologies, Alan, for annoying you. I didn't think I'd written that much; I did - mistakenly, obviously - think that the Kirkin' was a Scots ceremony.

As Jack surmised my comment related to the linked article, not to anything you wrote. So, you did nothing to annoy me. Nor, for that matter, was I particularly annoyed by the article - it seemed to take for granted that people knew what Kirkin' the Tartan is (which for churches where this is an annual event would be the case) and was explaining the origins. Which still leaves those of us wanting to know what it is none the wiser.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry.

I have a Henderson ancestor too, who did exactly the same thing. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A quick Google led me to this other bit of history that shows the origin is indeed Scots! There are also a few little bits on Youtube.com for those interested.

[Your friendly neighbourhood Host who had a bit of time on his hands this morning.]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad to know that I did not inadvertently annoy. Thank you.

My Henderson ancestors were married and stayed put as far back as we can trace them. So were the MacLeod, MacPherson, MacGregor, Edmondston and... I forget the other clan... ancestral units.

I enjoy the skirling of the pipes, but not indoors.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree, pipes should always be outside, preferably about 5 miles distant!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

On a few occasions I have been inside a building with a pipe band (3-4 pipers plus drums). It is a rousing sound.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Previous remark deleted - but I really am not a lover of the pipes.

[ 25. November 2015, 05:56: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry.

I have a Henderson ancestor too, who did exactly the same thing. [Paranoid]
He wasn't called William by any chance? A blacksmith to trade? [Paranoid]
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something tells me that Wodders would not be impressed by Douglas Adams' ideal lover, the legendary Dagenham Girl Pipers... [Devil]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My father always said to watch out for men wearing skirts, as they played the bagpipes - you can guess the age of that. He, I and Dlet in turn all attended what used be a Presbyterian school, now Uniting Church, which gives you some idea of how much he disliked them. They do have their place, that being rehearsals on cold misty mornings, on the main oval, being heard a few hundred metres away on the local station.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

You're heathens the lot of you. Where would the British Empire have been without Devils in Skirts?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You beat me to it, Alan - that's exactly what I was thinking.

We sang in the choir at St. Magnus Cathedral on Remembrance Sunday, and there was, as is right and proper, a lament played by a piper. Unfortunately he was only a couple of feet south-west of my left ear ... [Eek!]

I don't mind bagpipes outdoors, especially if they're playing Scotland the Brave or Highland Cathedral.

[tangent]
D. was once asked by a bride in Northern Ireland if he'd accompany a piper at her wedding. She said, "you probably won't know the piece - it's called Highland Cathedral". "Know it?" he replied, "I used to be the organist of it". [Big Grin]
[/tangent OFF]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think my next Carry On... DVD purchase will have to be the Khyber one - it is a classic.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a very good piper who stands on the causeway on Lindisfarne. That's pretty much as outdoors as you can get.

I like a good piper, but the guy in the centre of Leeds last week was not it. He was 'playing' Scotland the Brave and missing the top note by a good tone and a half with every single attempt. [Disappointed]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a kirk at the end of my road which is quite popular for weddings. A couple of months ago I walked past it as they were all waiting for the guests and bridal party to arrive, and the piper who was already in situ outside started playing the theme to "Star Wars". It made me smile, although I did partly wish that he'd played the Death March.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Piglet, are you in Orkney?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I grew up in Orkney, and my dad still lives there. We were there on holiday a couple of weeks ago, and as we usually do when we're there, sang with the Cathedral choir on the Sunday.

[Smile]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess this is where the rest of the UK thanks Scotland for producing Andy Murray, who has played a huge part in winning the Davis Cup for Britain, for the first time since 1936.

OK, it wasn't a one-man show, but it helps when you have a player with an 8-0 record in singles and a 3-0 record in doubles.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely - well done the whole team! And, appropriately enough, on the eve of St. Andrew's Day.

Happy haggis-hunting, one and all! [Smile]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Unfortunately the haggis-hunting link I posted to my facebook page earlier today turned out to be 2 years old (from the last year they did it) and I think it's not actually happening [Frown]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I certainly couldn't find any mention of it on "The Scotsman's" website.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That will make the second year of no haggis!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That being the case, we'll just have to make our own.

I've done this recipe, and with a bit of tweaking (IIRC I doubled the amount of the spices, as it was a bit bland) and the judicious addition of some cooking whisky it's really rather nice. As it's made in a loaf-tin, you can fool the more squeamish of your friends into thinking it's a meat-loaf, but if you fork it up on a serving-platter and serve it with clapshot, you'd hardly know it wasn't the real thing.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Since the heart, lungs and suet are omitted from that recipe, it's little wonder it's bland. There's a lot of flavour in those ingredients. AIUI, it's only the lungs that are classed as 'inedible' by the USDA, there should be no reason why you couldn't include the heart and suet into the recipe, reducing the need to boost the spice content to compensate.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There is a reason - despite my almost completely unalloyed Scottishness, I'd be a bit nervous about handling anything more extreme than liver myself. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm happy to eat the real thing, but for making it myself, liver is about the limit of my offal bravery.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

There I was thinking that piglet was offally brave...

AG

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Groan).

The haggis we had last night had as its ingredients: Oatmeal, Stock, Pork Lungs, Beef Suet, Bacon(Pork, Salt, Potassium Nitrate (E252), Sodium Nitrite (E250), Pork Liver, Lamb Heart, Pork Heart, Onions, Salt, Pepper, Spices. It was excellent although slightly different to the MacSween's we've had in the past.

The best haggis I've ever had came from the butcher in Eyemouth, their own make. It was much darker than usual in colour.

[ 01. December 2015, 15:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A butcher friend of ours in Belfast used to make seriously good haggis; he even used to win haggis-making competitions, leading to some deeply disgruntled Scotsmen.

He said that his recipe didn't use offal (how exactly he defined "offal" I don't know); the haggis was made in a large (about 8" diameter) sausage-shape (a bit like whole mortadella sausage) and he would cut chunks from it. His preferred method of cooking was in the microwave ( [Eek!] ) but it actually worked very well.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Unfortunately the haggis-hunting link I posted to my facebook page earlier today turned out to be 2 years old (from the last year they did it) and I think it's not actually happening [Frown]

I received an email from the people responsible for haggis hunting. First email in several years so hardly spam.

They say the site collapsed and would cost a sizable amount to get back up. They also say it has been hard to find a sponsor.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Couldn't they get Macsween's? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The shutting of the Forth Road Bridge will cause fun and a chaos. Hope noone on here is too badly effected.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Who's up for an Irn Bru pilgrimage? [Devil]
Anyone tried any of these?

the irn bru coffee guy is one of the teenagers from our church. I don't drink coffee so I haven't tried it, his Dad says it works better as a flavoured cold espresso rather than hot.

I got some of the fudge for my birthday, and found it a bit too sticky and sweet as a fudge. It felt like it would work better as a flavoured crumbly tablet

[ 04. December 2015, 11:11: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
The shutting of the Forth Road Bridge will cause fun and a chaos. Hope noone on here is too badly effected.

Not directly affected, but the traffic in Stirling and surrounding area was much worse than usual today, as the diversion to the Kincardine and Clacks bridges involves getting onto the M876 which is fairly near here. It took me ages to get to and from nursery this evening after work - though I was thinking while I was stuck at a roundabout in Bannockburn of an alternative route to nursery, but then went home that way and the traffic was even worse so I'll probably just stick with what I do normally. My colleague (who lives in Clacks) had more trouble, I think it's going to be a bit of a nightmare for her.

In other news, it's blowing an absolute hoolie out there!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got to get to Dunfermline tomorrow. [Waterworks] Means braving the nightmare roadworks at Hamilton. There is no good route.

This is after getting stuck in the snow-related snarl-up outside Edinburgh yesterday. A 90 minute journey took 6 hours.

Blawin' a hoolie here too tonight.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very, very windy here, and wet.

You OK cottontail? It looks like your neck of the woods is bearing the brunt of this.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I hear you're on to Hurricane Desmond now - look after yourselves, and batten down the hatches.

[Votive]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We're battening down for Gertrude!

Our nearest river has burst its banks quite spectacularly and we really need it to stop now.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Here's hoping Gertrude is observing Dry January. The photos you're putting on facebook are pretty eek-inducing.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread is so, so...2015! Catch up after the bad weather, if Scotland still exists then...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016