homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Diabetes (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Diabetes
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One positive thing to come out of it, for me anyway, I ran into someone today that I had not seen for about two months. Their first comment was 'Wow, you've lost weight, a lot of weight'

How much I lost I have no idea as I didn't own bathroom scales until last week

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
Had my first meal out yesterday since being diagnosed. Managed to get through it without having anything I shouldn't. It was more difficult than I thought it would be tbh.

Yes, I find going out rather difficult too, and (depending on the pub/restaurant) usually end up with some sort of fish/salad dish.
A diabetic friend insisted we always eat out Chinese because he can always find something in that kind of menu he can enjoy.

I don't know if Chinese works for everyone (where I live, Chinese food for the popular market can be heavily sugared), but I like the idea of knowing which ethnic kinds of food are friendly for your diet. If you can always find something at a seafood restaurant, or a vegetarian restaurant or at -- what? -- you know what to look for when traveling in an unfamiliar city.

For me, Italian (all that pasta) is off limits. Alas my friends LOVE pizza, but most pizza places have salads.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only cuisine I really try to avoid is Indian but if that's what friends have decided I'll usually partake and deal with the consequences. I think it's the combination of fat and carbs that means I go really high about 6-8 hours after eating it.

If you can find Italian that do the really thin crust pizza like you get in Italy without masses of cheese they're not too bad but something like Pizza Hut or Dominoes would be a disaster for me. Salads, minestrone, osso bucco, veal parmigiana that kind of thing are all ok for me.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Place just down frim where I lived for many years does that lovely thin crust, Evangeline. They will vary toppings etc too but can be busy, so best book. Marios, next to Croydon Station.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still go out for a curry now and again as a special treat. The advice I got from the dietician was that tandoori dishes such as tikka or shaslik are the best. If going for one with a sauce go for tomato-y sauces, avoid creamy sauces and keep well away from anything with coconut milk.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only is my blood sugar lower, I somehow managed to lose a bit of weight too. And the diabetic dietician introduced me to a new variety of cheese that is lower fat than any of the other hard cheeses I've had, yet it tastes like tasty cheese. Whoever invented it should be canonized [Axe murder] Cheese has been harder for me to give up than chocolate.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas is over. And new year. And my mid-January birthday too.

Which leaves me with high sugar symptoms: Waking in the night, lethargy and thirst. Time to get back on track with the diet.

I was doing so well before Christmas too.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just returned from my GP's appointment to check how I'm doing on a reduced Metformin (= one a day instead of two). Oh joy! She was so pleased with my blood test results that she suggested stopping Metformin completely! She said it was up to me to decide, but my control was very good, so after a few stuttered ums and ahhs from me, I said ok then....! I've got my annual appointment with the diabetic nurse on Friday morning, and am to go back to the GP in 4 months to check my progress without Metformin. I talked about meters & test strips (I buy my own) and she admitted she's not allowed to give them out to type 2s, but I think she knows that this is a false economy and very shortsighted. But that's the NHS, she said, rather forlornly.

I went up to the chemists to get my new prescription and he too was very pleased to hear my news, saying, ooh you're one of the lucky ones!

So I'm one very pleased and smug Pine Marten [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like good news, PM. Do you have to stop the tablets completely cold turkey, or do you gradually reduce them, one every other day, and so on?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pharmacist said just stop from tomorrow, which is more or less what the GP said - I'd already taken today's one at breakfast. I'm going to keep the remaining ones in the packet just in case... [Eek!] ...but hopefully all will be well.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Pine Marten!

I'm now hopeful of getting cut down from three tablets to two per day, though I had quite a scare over Christmas when it all went haywire. And, no, it wasn't the availability of sugary treats, because there weren't any. No mince pies, no Christmas Cake, no Christmas pudding, no extra fruit, no fruit juices, no biscuits, no chocolate... concluded in the end that a bad cold, less physical activity, and banana with breakfast were the culprits. Three weeks of walking to or from work (an hour's walk), banana for lunch rather than breakfast, and kicking the cold into touch seems to have done the trick and levels are back where they were at the end of November.

I also buy most of my own test strips, but do get the occasional prescription from the doctor for them. I know my control is far, far better when I can see for myself what the numbers are doing. Frustrating as it was to see the high numbers, it was very satisfying to be able to sort it.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to display my ignorance here: why is having a banana for breakfast bad, but having one for lunch good?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something to so with how I've worked out to spread carbohydrates across the day more evenly, I think. I'd never been good at breakfast and decided to have food I liked (Toast and a banana) which was quick and easy. It worked until about the end of November, then didn't.

All I know is, since moving the banana from breakfast to lunch, I am not getting high sugar symptoms mid-morning, and very high readings pre-lunch, nor am I risking hypos pre-evening meal, especially on days I walk home, which I do two or three nights a week.

[ 28. January 2016, 17:05: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm going to display my ignorance here: why is having a banana for breakfast bad, but having one for lunch good?

There is also a thing known as 'dawn phenomenon' in diabetes, where blood sugar levels rise during the small hours of the morning and peak around breakfast time. In Type 1, patients with an insulin pump are able to counter this by programming the pump to give more insulin at that time. In Type 2, managing it is probably a bit more complicated, although having an idea (like Japes seems to) of when your own sugars tend to peak will make that task a little easier.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news from my blood test this week, my HbA1c which was 112 last September is now down to 66

Not so good is that my kidney function is down so I have been put back on a lower dose of Ace Inhibitors and will be retested in 2 weeks

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Just come back to this thread - well done, kitten, that's really good news!

Do tell us how you get on with the retest [Smile] .

--------------------

JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Type 2 diagnosed turn of millennium-ish, sixteen and half stone at the time.
Conglomeration of pills over the years, now injecting insulin.
A much healthier diet, no sweeteners (they made me feel yuck!), little enough sugar now that I can even taste the sweetness in potatoes!
Back in the day I rarely averaged 5000 steps a day, now I walk in preference to bike or bus, and average 15 - 20,000 steps a day (when well. Only just back up to 15,000 following hospital last month.)
And my weight down to 77kg / 12 stone 1.5 pounds, waist from 44 to 34.

Still find difficult refusing the constant offer of deserts, sweets, biscuits, but knowing I will feel off colour for a day or two if I accept is a great decision helper. Christmas, Easter holidays and festivals are the hardest when folk say, 'Just this once...' Hmm, how easy to... Still I have great memories of puddings, late night snacking etc etc.
- and enjoying them in my memory is so much healthier than on the plate [Smile]

--------------------
Written from my alternative universe.

Posts: 1101 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...but my memory is so awful!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really awesome effort re the diet and exercise JNPO! Hat off to you!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

Got the test results, still have low kidney function so they have taken me off Lisinopril completely and will re-test in two weeks

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

I'm curious, what reason did they give for taking you off the ace inhibitor Kitten?
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

It was to do with the kidney function still being too low despite the dose being lowered.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had my first eye and foot check. Everything is good. I'm due to have my first follow up blood test 3 months after being diagnosed soon, so I'll see what difference dietary changes and not smoking has made. I definitely should've exercised more. That's something I need to work on.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

That's good to hear, Jack o'the Green. I found diet changes much easier than I thought, but whilst I've never been inactive, I've never been one to seek out exercise either.

I have managed to make myself walk more since Christmas and am now averaging 3 - 5 miles most days. It is making quite a difference to my blood sugar levels, my general fitness, and my weight. Though, I do keep muttering it's more I'm changing shape faster than I am losing weight when the worry-mongers amongst my acquaintances begin to murmur about "Are you maybe losing too much weight?" The answer to which is "No, nor am I losing it too fast. It's just you've never known me this small." Well, nor have I since about 1979-ish.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

My HbA1c is now down to 56, and I have lost about four stone since being diagnosed in September

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
... I have lost about four stone since being diagnosed in September

Wow! [Overused]

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
My HbA1c is now down to 56, and I have lost about four stone since being diagnosed in September

That's a brilliant achievement - well done. That's a nice rate of loss over the time frame too. Kudos!
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016