homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship Walking Group (London and elsewhere) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship Walking Group (London and elsewhere)
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had hoped to go out this weekend, but Saturday is looking like a washout, so if I skip church on Sunday it'll still be boggy.

Looking towards Easter, I'm thinking about doing the Fen Rivers Way, which is 48 miles in 3 days on the flat along the rivers Cam and Great Ouse from Cambridge to Kings Lynn.

Anyone here done it? (I think Cambridge to Walsingham is a fairly common pilgrimage route)

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a rather wet 10 miles today with friends around Ightham (Kent). Most of the paths were actually bridleways so there was a lot of churned up mud. But there's something nice about being warm & dry in waterproofs whilst being out in the elements. Good to be out. And some beautiful mossy woods.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, just failing to post from my phone. (I did try a couple of times but .. well, it's a long story.)

Wimbledon Common sounds good. Is the preference for next weekend (20th) or the one after (27th)? I've given the Saturday date as most people seem to prefer to walk on Saturdays.

I'm just back from a couple of days out of phone and internet access in the White Peak with my daughter. We took it gently as she'd had a bad enough asthma attack* to have paramedics called out a couple of nights before. We explored Buxton on Saturday, wandered 8½ miles on Sunday on the paths around Hartington, where we were staying, and another 5 miles today.

Sipech, that Cambridgeshire walk sounds fun, and a good way to use a long weekend. (Although I already have plans for that weekend.)

*allergic reaction to joss sticks her new flat mate was burning, against all the accommodation regulations.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half playing with this and will I think set up a separate thread if there is interest.

How do people feel about doing the walk from Sheffield to Grindleford or Hathersage, with the possibility of a meet at any of the three places? You can catch the train back from Grindleford or Hathersage to Sheffield (Manchester people could head in the opposite direction).

We can skip the first mile or so and start at Hunters Bar by getting a bus. From there it is parkland or open country most of the way. Food is available en route but it tends to be walkers cafe fair.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also a Youth Hostel in Hathersage for those of us coming from further afield, and some other fun walks. I fancy doing Hathersage to Stanedge, sometime, and my daughter and I were chatting about another weekend in Castleton. We last stayed there years ago, but visited by walking over Mam Tor on Easter Sunday 2013, in the snow. That weekend we started in Hathersage on the Thursday night walked to Eyam for Good Friday and then to Edale for Saturday and Sunday nights.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Wimbledon Common sounds good. Is the preference for next weekend (20th) or the one after (27th)? I've given the Saturday date as most people seem to prefer to walk on Saturdays.

I can't do the 27th any more, (I'm going to be at the London Film & Comic Con then) but I could do 20th.
That's this Saturday, isn't it?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't commit myself to anything for next weekend yet as I may have a different commitment. And I am, I admit, a fair weather walker and more of a slow ambler who would rather be sitting in the coffee shop, but if you do happen to be on Wimbledon Common, I may well wander along to join you for a pace or two. [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ooh - be lovely to see you Smudgie.

I did look to see if there were any walking routes on line and the walk we did isn't listed in any walking routes I can see: one half, the Thames from Richmond to Putney, exists. We used to walk across Putney Heath to Wimbledon Common, past the windmill, then cross to Richmond Park, through the Park past Pen Ponds to the Thames.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do the 27th, and I'm not sure that I can do the coming weekend. During March I know the weekends of the 5/6th an 19/20 are out, but the weekend in-between should be OK.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I can do 27th but not 20th so I'll bow out of this one.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

This looks as if it's going to possibly be luvanddaisies and me, with maybe Smudgie.

As the stinking cold of the beginning of the week (the current version of half-term-itis) is now a barking cough and no energy, I'm going to wimp out and try to get well for next week.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pouring rain today anyway.
Another time perhaps. [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the end we went for a stroll across Bushey Park, rather than what we said we were going to do. Managed to miss the worst of the rain.

I'm certainly up for a walk in March/April.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sorry, that was a very nasty dose of flu which I'm only just bouncing back from (not helped by the latest work crises).

Is anyone up for a walk next weekend? I can't do Easter weekend, or any time soon.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sorry, I just reread that and realised it was very unclear.

I can do next weekend 19/20 March, but can't do Easter weekend,

Then I can do every Saturday in April except 30 April, and every Sunday except 17 April, at the moment.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I can't do next weekend 19/20 as I'm at a Wedding or the Saturday the weekend after Easter but I could probably do the Sunday (trains willing) and the two weekends after that (9/10, 16/17).

Hope you are making a good recovery from the flu and that the work crisis gets resolved.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to head into Battle.

Well, at least to find a pilgrimage route from Battle train station to Ashburnham Place. Am leading the church on a walk as part of a retreat next month, so am doing a scouting mission tomorrow.

Hopefully the ground is not as muddy as it has been in recent weeks.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

How about we make a plan for 9/10 April?

Any preferences for area?

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thank you for your information about Malham, CK. Setting off for the north early tomorrow morning. I hope the weather will be amenable to some walking.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Have fun in Malham, moonlitdoor. I want to go back, but we are exploring other places over the next few months.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

9/10 April sound good to me for a walk. Happy to go anywhere as long as it isn't too long and their are opportunities for refreshment. Son did a wander in Epping Forest today that he appear to have enjoyed.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Went out on Saturday and resumed the North Downs Way. Went from Borough Green to Strood, which was a total distance of about 15 miles.

Which leads me to a question: Have you got any recommendations for brands of cushioned insoles? [Help]

My fitness levels are OK, but the thing that gets me is the wear on the bottom of my heels. After about 10 miles, they just start to ache and I have to stop for a sit down more frequently. There's quite a market for different insoles and I'm not sure where's best.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Suggestions for bluebell walks this weekend:

7.5 miles from Greenford to Osterley Park
or 4 and a bit miles from Boston Manor to Osterley because Osterley Park is supposed to have bluebells.
Or 9.9 miles from Sunningdale to Windsor because Runnymede is supposed to have bluebells. (Or there's Kew, but they don't reckon their bluebells are out yet.)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016