homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » RIP Third Way magazine

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: RIP Third Way magazine
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I got a letter from their publisher, telling me April 2016 will be the last issue. I've subscribed for a long time - it's rather sad. I used to look forward to Mike Ridell's column, and before him John Smith. I don't know where one will find those kind of voices these days, in print or on-line.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cost of paper and postage, combined with the competition from on-line publications, has mostly doomed the print magazine.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same thing has happened to the Weekly Telegraph, the expat "digest" of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph. D's mum has been buying us a subscription to it for Christmas ever since we moved here, and although we can read it online, it was always nice to get an actual, proper newspaper (with proper crosswords!).

Sadly, next week's will be the last edition; they're offering a special deal on "tablets" and subscriptions to the online version, but it Wouldn't Be The Same. [Waterworks]

I understand that The Independent is going fully digital too.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. C subscribing is a death knell for print magazines. A couple of years ago, she found a magazine she liked, and subscribed. Three months later, they announce that they're closing down, so which of their other magazines would she like to finish out her subscription? None of the other offerings were nearly as good as the discontinued one, but she picked something of partial interest. That lasted four months before it was subsumed into another magazine which was even less relevant to her, and so her subscription was transferred again.

IIRC, at about the time her sub ran out, the third magazine was going online-only.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only ever saw it if a friend passed it on to me but I enjoyed its take on things.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no idea that Third Way was still going. I was a subscriber back in the 1980's and I think its the only publication that ever published one of my letters (for anyone that actually follows the link to read my 20 something ramblings, please note that they included a typo in my first sentence - child bearing should read child rearing!)

[ 17. February 2016, 14:51: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been hearing these rumours for a while, and it is very sad. I used to subscribe and read it every month, but I gave up when I found I didn't have the time to read them. At Greenbelt, I would pick up a copy, and enjoy reading it, but it would often take me 6 months.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I had no idea that Third Way was still going. I was a subscriber back in the 1980's and I think its the only publication that ever published one of my letters (for anyone that actually follows the link to read my 20 something ramblings, please note that they included a typo in my first sentence - child bearing should read child rearing!)

I was less than enthusiastic when looking at the link and seeing that they supported Trevor Cooling and his Stapleton Foundation that seems to support evangelicals subverting a state school system and turning back the clock on RE

[ 17. February 2016, 17:24: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a 1998 edition, back in the days when I had time to read it and had a subscription, that brought me to the Ship.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a shame, it was the one magazine that we used to sell in the shop that I read cover to cover.

Of course many Shipmates have worked for them and written articles in the past!

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a subscription and I received the letter last week. I should be due a small refund due to me.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016