homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » the trouble with International Women's Day

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: the trouble with International Women's Day
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been seeing all these posts scroll by on my FB timeline today about International Women's Day*, and was listening to the radio as I woke up this morning.

I think that the idea is that I, being a woman, am supposed to feel empowered, affirmed, motivated, and maybe a little bit warm and fuzzy. I don't. I look at the stories and features popping up and realise that all the women featured in them are impressive. They've achieved something, whether that's a Nobel Prize or digging themselves of an addiction or conquering an illness or sacrificial charity work, or raising a family, or defying expectations and stereotypes or even just being cool and badass in some way.

I'm not any of those things. I'm nearer to forty than to thirty. I don't have an impressive career, or an other half or children. I'm not a success, and I'm neither cool nor badass. I've consistently not achieved whatever it is that I'm 'supposed' to have achieved, and I'm not someone who can say I'm comfortable in my own skin.

Don't get me wrong, some of the articles and profiles ans things I've read today have been really interesting, and I've found their subjects impressive and inspiring, but I can't identify with them, that's like a piece of toast aspiring to be a lion-tamer. All I share with those women is that I'm female. I live in a country where women's opportunities are relatively equivalent to those of men, I'm white, cis, and while I've never been rich, I've never known proper poverty or deprivation. I have no excuses, but I've achieved nothing. I'm happy to celebrate those impressive people and their achievements, but there appears to be an expectation that we females should all be able to identify with them in some sort of sisterhood sort of way, but I'm just not feeling it. I feel if I identify with them as some sort of global sorority that I'd diminish it by not having anything to contribute.

I know it's not the spirit I'm supposed to have approached it with, but it's where I'm at. Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling less inspired and more convicted?

*International Men's Day is in November, just in case someone feels like asking why there isn't one of those.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I can say this because this is All Saints. I have met you. You are cool and bad-ass. No question about it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was talking with a friend from the Ukraine the other day, and she said that a lot of her friends are vetoing the day. Because it was a national holiday in the old Soviet Union, and the Ukraine (or, at least the parts of Ukraine not occupied by Russian troops) has been systematically shedding all traces of the Soviet era - in part as an act of defiance against Russian empire building that is quite literally tearing their nation apart with war in the east and the Crimea already annexed.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Le ROC, I think you're pretty cool.

But interesting point about whether women 'ought' to feel sisterhood with all other women.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, it's just too large and disparate a group to feel solidarity with. I mean, over half the world population. I can empathize with smaller groups, but a group that is held together by nothing but gender and species? I could only do that if there were some horrible opposition to contrast it to--and I'm sorry, but "human males" are occasionally horrible and too often in opposition, but not to the degree that would cause me to regard them as aliens and women as a solidarity bloc in contrast.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the About Page of the official website:
quote:
International Women's Day is a collective day of global celebration and a call for gender parity.
It isn't that all women are the same or that all will lead lives that garner world attention. Just that women are capable and should be allowed to perform how they might.
It is that women are no less than men.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love International Women's day. For many years I would take my daughter out to lunch on March 8th; I miss doing that now that she's at University.

Isaac Newton said that if he had seen further it was by standing on the shoulders of giants. Boys take those giants for granted. Girls grow up not knowing that female giants exist; they're not in the history books, they're not on the road signs, they are under represented in historical plaques. Edinburgh has more statues of animals than women; apart from Queen Victoria there are hardly any statues of women.

Women in history are like those "magic eye" pictures. They're there, but you have to squeeze your eyes and squint a bit to see them.

In my subject area, everyone "knows" that women in Victorian times couldn't pursue a professional career whilst married. Most people "know" that women in Victorian times didn't pursue careers. They "know" that women who studied, passed a college entrance exam, boarded away from home for two years at college then worked for a probationary year to qualify as a teacher, only did it as a "fall back" in case Plan A - Get Married didn't work out. Everyone knows that, right?

Hardly anyone knows that (in Scotland at least) the Marriage Bar was introduced after the First World War to create jobs for the men returning from the trenches. Or indeed that the emphasis on domestic subjects in girls' education came about post-Boer War when the poor state of health of many recruits meant that the Government decided that Something Must Be Done, and that something was less academic school subjects for girls and more domestic subjects, in the hope that they would raise healthier sons.

History in schools tends to teach that nothing happened in women's history except marriage and babies till - BAM - Mrs Pankhurst and the suffragettes appeared from nowhere. Actually, as graduates had two votes, many educated Victorian women thought that the principle of no votes for women would be ended as soon as women could graduate, and from there it would be a case of extending suffrage (a reasonable plan as there wasn't universal male suffrage at the time.)

Obviously, for most Victorian women, the lack of contraception did mean that life revolved around babies, but my academic area is Victorian career women and that's where my enthusiasm lies.

quote:
I can't identify with them, that's like a piece of toast aspiring to be a lion-tamer. All I share with those women is that I'm female.
Do men feel that way when they walk past Nelson's Column, or see the men on the banknotes, or the buildings named after great men, or even when they sit in history or philosophy classes? Or when they celebrate the saints days of mostly male saints? Perhaps they do. We are surrounded by commemoration of great men all the time - International Women's Day tries to put great / interesting women out there alongside with the men.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child and young teenager I very much wanted to be a boy. I'm not trans gender - I simply envied the boys.

To a large extent I still do, men in all walks of life seem to have choices which are (still) only available to a few women.

Until we can find a way for men to get pregnant and have babies it will always be so.

I do like hearing the inspiring stories on Women's day. But it shouldn't have to happen. Real equality would make such tokenism redundant.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I wrong to think that it implies that the other 364 are men's days?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

366 will be men's days in 2016 - they all are and always have been.

I'm not bitter, just realistic.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jengie

International Men's Day is November 19th; that doesn't imply that the other 364 are women's days.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

quote:
I'm nearer to forty than to thirty. I don't have an impressive career, or an other half or children. I'm not a success, and I'm neither cool nor badass. I've consistently not achieved whatever it is that I'm 'supposed' to have achieved, and I'm not someone who can say I'm comfortable in my own skin.

I'm currently working on a project which has involved flicking through thousands of newspaper obituaries, and identifying and reading relevant female ones. The sheer variety and areas of human endeavour are astonishing. I've come across subheadings (both male) such as "The first man to grow broccoli commercially in Scotland" and "Maker of bespoke fly fishing reels"

What I have been heartened to find is the sheer number of women who achieved in later life. Some of these are women who simply kept buggering on; they've become involved in a charity and twenty or thirty years later they're giving evidence to a government committee, or they've been published after years of writing stories for their own amusement, or they've organised a community event which has mushroomed. I haven't been reading the male obituaries, so I can't compare and contrast, but many, many women who have ended up with fascinating obituaries don't seem to have been doing anything out of the ordinary at "nearer to forty than thirty."

I keep thinking that there's hope for me yet, and I am over fifty!

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a man working in what is called IT. If there is an area in which women are under-represented it must be IT and especially the more technical areas.

Worse still, I have been working in IT long enough to know that projects (especially) with a higher proportion of women are better to work on and at the very worst no less successful. Also, the proportion of women in IT change much in nearly thirty years except for some recent growth areas like business analysis. The only positive I have seen is an increase in the proportion of women in senior posts, but that could be an indication of the managerial and leadership ability of women vis-a-vis men in the IT profession.

It's all personal and therefore anecdata but I have worked in the UK and overseas and in the public and private sectors, practically everything except academia.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

Jengie

International Men's Day is November 19th; that doesn't imply that the other 364 are women's days.
I was not aware there was an international men's day.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016