homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is anyone here from Leicester?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is anyone here from Leicester?
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Leicester diaspora's out in force in London today (where I am) following Leicester City's miraculous win in the Premiership. [That's football btw - the British kind.] Who else on the ship has Leicester connections and therefore a daft grin on their face today?

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not, but my boss is, and his feet are barely touching the floor.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no Leicester connections that I'm aware of, although a friend used to be the organist of Leicester Cathedral (and was a chorister there, so he's a local chap).

I love it when the Little Guy wins - I know Leicester aren't exactly "little" but it's always nice to see someone other than the usual suspects doing well.

Especially if the usual suspects are Manchester United ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a British friend who has a theory of who is responsible for this.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Bee is from Hinckley and has supported the Foxes for decades. He is surprised and delighted beyond belief and just wishes his Dad was still alive to witness such a happening.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived there for a couple of years six or seven years ago and have had a massive grin on my face whenever I've thought about it all day!

[Big Grin] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday Mark Selby - also from Leicester - won the World Snooker Championship.

When you're hot, you're hot.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Here is a British friend who has a theory of who is responsible for this.

Love it!

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in Leicester in the early eighties, when Gary Linker's dad ran a stall on the market, and Gary was the great hope of the football team. There was a real buzz in the city then about that, so I can only imagine it's even greater now.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My maternal line is Leicester (my mother grew up there until WWW2 but never went back) and therefore half my DNA identifies with the place. I've visited (hazy memories from childhood) but never lived there ... but seriously got my Leicester on this week (and I know nothing about the round ball game!)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's definitely the spirit of Richard III that has made the difference. He may have had issues with nephew killing (allegedly) but he must have been very good at football. [Smile]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I lived in Leicester in the early eighties, when Gary Linker's dad ran a stall on the market, and Gary was the great hope of the football team. There was a real buzz in the city then about that, so I can only imagine it's even greater now.

Our paths probably crossed, and in student days I often fuelled up from Lineker's market stall.

At the end of the 1982/1983 season I lived within earshot of City's Filbert Street ground, and recall the jubilation of cheering and car horns for a couple of hours after they gained promotion to the then First Division.

This must have paled into insignificance compared to last weekend's result.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoop! Andrea Bocelli, a great score and a trophy! Unbelievable!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016