homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welsh Borders meet 30th July 2016

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Welsh Borders meet 30th July 2016
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been living at our vicarage just outside Welshpool for a year now and its been a while since we had a meet at home.
We were wondering whether ship mates would like to meet up to sit in the garden and have a barbeque or some such thing. We can also offer walks in the countryside, a National Trust house and a narrow gauge steam railway, all within 6 miles of us.
Dates at present are all Saturdays: 15th, 23rd or 30th July.
We are about one hour from Birmingham by train, and about half hour from the A5 at Shrewsbury.
PM if you are interested.

[ 30. June 2016, 13:11: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just checked my phone's diary - I think you mean 16th, 23rd & 30th if you want them all to be Saturdays.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We would be interested, will have to check with my other half and the diary. Might bring my paint set!

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We would be interested - can't make the 30th. It's been over a year since we've been to a shipment, and we have a family connection with the W&L *.If riding on a train is on the cards, you might even get Marvin the Martian!

*FiL was chairman for many years

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can make all of those dates. Will have to check with MrStEverild -he is a steam rail fanatic!

xx

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK the choice is 16th, 23rd or 30th.
The 30th is one week until we are taking part in open gardens in our village so you might be weeding too!

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

I have just looked at the W&L website and found that16th and 30th are Vintage train days - if that would sway you.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't make the 30th - friends are renewing their vows and would have our guts for garters if we weren't there! The 16th is clear at the moment.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo - what a good excuse for an outing in my caravan! I can only do 30th July so will watch out (and bring gardening gloves!) for a final decision before looking for a site.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested, but I'm not available on those dates. [Frown]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
If riding on a train is on the cards, you might even get Marvin the Martian!

You might indeed. And I'm just disillusioned enough with cricket at the moment to sack it off for a week...

(Having a bad season. Let's leave it there)

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

I am sorry everyone but I cannot make the 23rd now as I have to be elsewhere.
So can we fix the date as the 30th July?
To those who can't make it then we might be able to do it again later in the year.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30th is fine by me. Need to check with him, but if he can't come I can.
Ex

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be able to make 30th.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

If you are coming you will need directions and a proper location. Please PM me and I will let you into the secret.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is slightly possible that LRP and I could make it on the 30th. (I'm on HappyClappyBand™ duty in church on the 17th, so the 16th is out.)

There is a slight complication, YoungestDaughter is expecting our first grandchild on the 22nd, so if the baby decides to be late plans could be scuppered.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Please bear with us because our email and internet at home are extremely erratic due to break down of the AirBand service we country folk enjoy. [Mad]
So I may only have access on weekdays, from my work machine.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
We would be interested, will have to check with my other half and the diary. Might bring my paint set!

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Looking likely that Alien and I might be there.

Not sure if that's an incentive for people to come or a reason not to!!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Can a passing host please change the thread title to 'Welsh Borders meet 30th July' please.

I am thinking that we could meet everyone at the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway Welshpool station in the morning and those who want to go on the train can and those who don't can be directed/taken to the vicarage. We could also suggest that if you want to just do one direction on the train we can meet you at the other end. Here is the timetable.

Of course some of you may prefer other options for visits - perhaps Powis Castle?

The rest of the day will be some kind of rolling summer buffet with lots of yummy food and drink.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your wish is my command.

[Big Grin]

WW - AS Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Bump
Only two weeks to this meet.
New arrangements - plan is to meet here then go to railway in afternoon best train time is 13:05 for vintage train or 14:40.
Railway is 10 mins from house, we may want to reduce number of cars going because parking can be a bit difficult- PM for directions if you haven't had them yet. Or you might want to go to Powys Castle or just stay around here - eating around 6pm onwards.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now going to have to pull out of this one, which I'm sorry about as I was looking forwards to it. Another time...

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
we may want to reduce number of cars going because parking can be a bit difficult

I meant carparking at the railway station can be a bit difficult.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we can make it that sounds better for us as l thought we might have to come Fri night.Is there a choice of B an B in Welshpool.
An how far are you from Welsh pool.ls the railway close to the town.

Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

LRP
I have left you a message in your pm box..

--------------------

LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you just seen it an replied.
Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

MrStEverild has managed to get a dep for the wedding he was supposed to have been playing at on this Saturday, so we are in! Yay!
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

OK this meet now starts at our house late morning say around 11-30 to 12 noon.
If you haven't got directions please PM me.
People coming:
Pants +1
StEverild+1
Moonlitdoor
LRP
Balaam
Geroff
Rosa Gallica Officinalis

Is anyone else interested, it is not too late.

--------------------

LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

We are definitely coming.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LRP:
We are definitely coming.

Yup. Here's why ...

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006092;p=5#000212

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

Thank you for the hospitality and a lovely day yesterday.Powis castle is well worth a visit.
Welshpool is a beautiful part of the country and seen 2 lovely churches.
l'm sorry l missed out on the lovely looking pavlova but l think it may have made us miss the train.
Arrived home at 5PM,thought we were Travelling to Wolverhampton but train got cancelled at Shrewsbury at least we had a second option of Shrewsbury to Stockport otherwise we may have missed our connection to Huddersfield.Not the greatest of weekend for train travel due to bus replacement yesterday from Shrewsbury due points failure.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

It was a lovely day...thank you!
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now I'm finally back home I can post!

Thanks for a lovely weekend. Great to see people, 'old' and new, and I agree that Powys Castle was great.

[Smile]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016