homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Getting packed (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Getting packed
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
for a secret mission to Europe.

Not really.

But we are expecting a special invite to a celebration this next year in Germany.

While I am good at recommending things to do on this side of the pond, I have little experience on that side of the pond.

Will fly into Frankfort for the celebration and then take 14 days to 30 days to tour Europe. Am open to suggestions.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look all you need to do is get to London and the shipmates will keep you occupied with suggestions that will fill six weeks. So be kind to us, and suggest what you really want to do and what else you enjoy doing.

Also how many stops you are willing to make (as in hotels/beds, so not including day excursions). If you want to be based in Frankfurt then that is a different proposition to if you say did Frankfurt, London, and Paris.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
then take 14 days to 30 days to tour Europe.

I wouldn't try to do all of it.

How do you intend travelling about? Hire car? Train?

What do you like? Scenery? History? Wine?

I've had several nice holidays in that part of Germany exploring the wine-growing areas around the Rhein and its tributaries, the Mosel and the Ahr. Or west, to Alsace, Strasbourg and the Vosges - another whole world. Bavaria, Thuringia, Berlin and environs. Any of these places could eat up as much time as you have.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take into account the time of year you are going. January in Britain is probably not the best, weather-wise. Check the national calendars for holidays -- only a maniac tries to go to a British resort during a bank holiday weekend, and in August most of the French museums are closed. Also, if there is any keen local festival around your time (Oktoberfest in Germany is an example, or the Christmas fairs) you would wish to know about it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you fancy most? History, culture, scenery? Are you happy being independent or would you like to join organised tours? Would you prefer to scratch the surface of several places (eg Paris//London/Berlin/Venice/Rome) or would you like to explore one or two countries in greater depth?

For example, some tours would have you claim to 'do' Britain in a week, take a gazillions photos, but not really spend longer than the click of a photo in any place (London-York-Edinburgh-LakeDistrict-Oxford-Bath-Stonehenge being one such 'circuit'). Similar tours no doubt of other countries - you'd see a lot, but might need a holiday to recover from it!

Do you have a particular interest in one thing - a family connection to a war cemetery, an ancestral village, or link to a family member's war service?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were me and I were anywhere in the vicinity, I'd go to the Berlin Library, a.k.a the Staatsbibliothek Berlin in Tiergarten. I have wanted to go there ever since watching the movie Wings of Desire (which, admittedly, had fabulous cinematography so as to make even the most prosaic place seem wonderful). The architecture is amazing. And, of course, there are All Those Books!

(Yeah, okay, my bibliomania occasionally pops up...)

It also happens to be in the Kulturforum (Cultural Forum), with art galleries, concert halls, etc.--so there is plenty to do if, for some unforeseeable reason, wandering amidst books bores you. But I can't imagine that.

Frankly, I would probably get a hotel (also in the nearby area) and spend a week or so just in that location. But that's me. Glancing at something and moving on has never been one of my strong attributes.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heidelberg is a hop skip and jump from Frankfurt, well worth a visit

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well since I am Lutheran, it stands to reason I will want to see some Lutheran holy places. Both of us have German/Dutch roots. It would be nice to see where those are at.

France--we may want a couple of days in France, we have some friends who live there we can probably stay with.

London. My surname comes from a township in Northampton area. That would be nice to see.

Scotland--wife has roots there

Catalonia would be a stretch, I think, but we hosted a student from there. IF she is in country, maybe.

A car would be great at least in Europe. Maybe train to Scotland.

So any suggestions along the way would be great. We want to do it on the cheap. If we cannot line up staying with friends, we would likely go Airbnb.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that case you have to go to Weimar and see the Cranach altarpiece. And the up the road to Wartburg where they will show you the very stain where Luther threw his inkpot at the devil.

You realise Northhampton is nowhere near London? And Scotland is a whole other thing again?

Northern Germany and France (which bit, though?) could be a doable package. Crow-fly distances may not look that much to the American eye, but remember Europe is complicated. And dense.

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Do you realize 67 miles is just less than an average one way commute for me when I was working in Spokane. My maps say it is about an hour and 27 minutes Piece of cake. London to Glasgow takes about as long as if I go from my house cross Washington to my daughter's house for a long weekend. I think it would give us a good cross section of England and part of Scotland, though. Probably hit Northampton and then proceed to Glasgow for a weekend
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You must remember that distances in the former Great Britain are short, but trust me when I say that a short hop from Edinburgh to York is about 3.5 hours on the train, and London is well served with trains but a car trip from London to Edinburgh can take the better part of a day. There are very few freeways in England and most of them are backed up to the gills. I still shudder at what should have been a hour trip to Heathrow ended up being an hour and 45 minutes. I scrambled to check in and made it by the skin of my teeth. (the quote for the taxi was 50/ and ended up being 100/ with a small tip.)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's quite true that journeys by car require you to allow far more time (just in case) than they may actually take. But public transport in the UK is not that bad, unless you are unfortunate and hit a day when London tubes are on strike. Transport for London would inform.

Two other points from my 6 year residence in Belgium and Germany: Museums etc are shut on Mondays, and if you can get to one of the open-air museums which feature examples of houses from all periods, they are fascinating.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to commute between Sunderland and just outside London for the weekend; if you plan that journey on the same Google mapping tool you're looking at it takes 4 hours 12 minutes (4 hours 53 minutes to travel the extra 16 miles into London). I could only drive it in that time driving at night - 8:30pm to 1am, and on a good trip. During the working day that same trip took over 8 hours more often than not. That Google mapping tool is pretty optimistic.

Northampton is a good 2 hours drive from London, about an hour on the train. Much of that journey would be on the M1 motorway but a surprisingly long time will be spent crawling out of London and around Northampton on relatively twisty narrow roads (nothing compared with the Dorset lanes). If you want to get to somewhere outside Northampton by public transport you will need a cab or to use the fairly infrequent bus services.

The trains to Edinburgh don't stop much to take 5 hours (and you can get sleeper tickets), compared with the optimistic Google map driving time of 7 hours. Getting from Northampton to Edinburgh by car would take 6 hours plus by the same tool. By train it's quicker to go back into London and get the express trains back out. Cross country routes are much slower.

The way I buy train tickets I pay less than petrol. (Sleeper train to Inverness £40, Inverness to Aberdeen £5, Aberdeen to Glasgow £8.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you realize 67 miles is just less than an average one way commute for me when I was working in Spokane. My maps say it is about an hour and 27 minutes Piece of cake. London to Glasgow takes about as long as if I go from my house cross Washington to my daughter's house for a long weekend.

It may be a small island but we pack a lot into it. Your journey will almost certainly be full of a variety of things including congestion, lane closures, roadworks, frustrating one-way routings, diversions, speed limits, speed humps, and then you might actually emerge out of London, into more of the same plus variable speed limits and some twisty, winding single-track roads (if you're going into the countryside this is likely at some point).

There is some difference between driving on long, straight, purpose-built-for-cars American roads and small, cramped English side streets (usually absolutely clogged with parked cars) or country lanes that were never originally intended for cars or anything more than passing carts and horses when they first developed centuries ago, and which have been widened a bit and given a tarmac surface since.

Seriously, if you plan to visit Northampton from London, go by train. You are much more likely to arrive at your destination at the stated time.

[ 30. July 2016, 09:39: Message edited by: Ariel ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Scotland--wife has roots there

Have you got a definite place to visit in Scotland? If you want to do any family history research in advance of your visit, I can give you some pointers.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please also remember that you must pay a premium to purchase pounds sterling, yet your pound has roughly the same value as US dollars. Petrol cost roughly is just around USD5.00 per gallon. Historic sites and their visiting can cost many pounds for two.

I am going to England in 2 weeks. I booked and paid accommodation (Travelodge - a budget hotel) back in January) Both travel and hotels are paid off now. I bought some 400 pounds sterling at a good rate (just after Brexit, actually) I will probably have to retrieve 100 pounds more while there.

The UK is not a cheap place, mystery novels, notwithstanding. You are more likely to pay 2/50 for a cup of tea in a restaurant. Even spending a penny costs more than a penny.

I understand you and your spouse have health problems. That being so, you should consider travel and health insurance for your trip. If you do, please note that most insurers will not pay for pre-existing conditions.

On the upside, if you are disabled (use mobility aids) a relatively small expenditure will buy you a radar key, which will get you into locked disabled-access toilets anywhere in the UK. Most historic sites are accessible in part, but there is no obligation to enable access to a Grade A listed building. These can crop up with regularity where you least expect it.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Seriously, if you plan to visit Northampton from London, go by train. You are much more likely to arrive at your destination at the stated time.

Please note that is Ariel speaking a regular train user and a car driver who well knows that the UK trains often do not run to time.

Actually take the train to save the stress, seriously. The Google estimation for road travel from Sheffield to Manchester is over an hour and they are less than 50 miles apart, actual times approaching two hours are normal. That is outside the London congestion zone.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Wife and I talked it over a bit. We have come to the conclusion we will probably do a 10 to 14 day road trip in Germany. The British Isles will have to wait for another time So any recommendations regards Germany will be appreciated.

However, just saying distances and time really don't mean much to me living in the Pacific West.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends as people note, on your preferences. We have never rented cars in Germany. Rather, Eurail passes which allow travel for the 24 hr period of a particular day. We had 11 day passes for our last month long trip. Trains are met by busses which are also part of the pass.

Berlin and environs are cheaper than most western European cities. And more parks. Less impressive museums than others. Cologne has a cathedral that rivals Paris' Notre Dame. A slow journey through the Black Forest is lovely. Lots of beutiful walks. Wine tours. Choral and organ practices in churches during the week, more so in RC south.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Please note that is Ariel speaking a regular train user and a car driver who well knows that the UK trains often do not run to time.

It depends what line you're on. I travel on some that are reliable.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely loved my visit to the area around Neuschwanstein Castle, built by king Ludwig, in South west Bavaria. You'll recognise it from movies ( Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Great Escape) and Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.
I stayed in Fussen, and it was worth getting up early to get my timed ticket. Another of Ludwig's palaces in the area is Linderhof which is also worth a visit.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

However, compared to German trains....

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One word to know when traveling in Germany: Bier. The rest is details.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Bitte und danke are also useful. In reading, Herren and Damen are very useful.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Bitte und danke are also useful. In reading, Herren and Damen are very useful.

A "friend" tried to convince me that "Herren" obviously mean Women (as in Her as opposed to Him), and that "Damen" mean Men (sort of a Brooklynese "The Men"). Luckily I had studied German in high school.

And yes, you should use "bitte" and "danke" before and after ordering Bier.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely loved my visit to the area around Neuschwanstein Castle, built by king Ludwig, in South west Bavaria. You'll recognise it from movies ( Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Great Escape) and Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.
I stayed in Fussen, and it was worth getting up early to get my timed ticket. Another of Ludwig's palaces in the area is Linderhof which is also worth a visit.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Two beers are 'zweimal Bier' (two times beer). Another beer is 'noch ein Bier' (rather than 'ein anderes Bier' which would mean another, different, beer).

I think that's enough vocabulary to see you through.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
However, compared to German trains....

I feel I should point out that many of the trains in Britain are run by German companies, mostly Deutsche Bahn. They include London Overground, Arriva, Cross Country, Chiltern, Northern, among others.

Punctuality on German railways isn't 100% either. Depending on what line you travel on, it can be somewhere near 86% which is actually lower than Great Western at 90%.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If travelling by train, a Eurail pass (global or for Germany only) might be an option, link here, with further options for 1st or 2nd class seats. Should you be 60+, there's even an additional reduction because you qualify for Senior discount.

This site ('Beginner's guide to Eurail passes') has more advice, and pros and cons, on rail travel in Europe.

Not sure if local public transport like buses, trams and underground etc. are included in a Eurail pass, but the links might answer that.

Can't say much about renting a car in Germany, never having done that.

Have fun planning! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

[ 31. July 2016, 09:35: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm... I just see that Eurail passes for senior citizens, and for Germany, may in fact cost the same as regular passes for adults. Still a very reasonable overall price though, I'd say.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to see a beautiful old German city, go to Marburg. It suffered much less damage during the war than most German cities.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very long ago, I went on a fairly brief trip to Europe. I don't know what may have changed. For Germany: When in Heidelberg, go to the castle. If in Nuremberg around Christmas, see if they still have the Kristkindl (Christchild) outdoor market. Go to the Schwarzwald (Black Forest), both for the scenery and for cuckoo clocks. [Smile] Oberammergau probably still has the Passion play. I didn't see it, but I think it's in Lent. Some German towns had amazing murals throughout town--generally on a theme. IIRC, one had German fairy tales, and there may have been Christ's life in another one. (Oberammergau?)

Are you familiar with travel host/writer Rick Steves? I think he's based in Seattle. He's been doing guidebooks, TV shows, and tours for decades. His shows run on PBS stations. He'd be a good resource for you.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Ich habe vor vielen Jahren studierte Deutsch, und wir haben die deutschen Studenten veranstaltet , damit ich ein paar deutsche Ausdrücke kennen. Ich kann nur die Zeit nehmen, meine Sprechfähigkeit zu aktualisieren , bevor wir gehen .

Euro -Schiene ist eine Möglichkeit. Mit Blick auf alle Optionen .

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hint: Hey Gramps, as beeindruckend (= impressive) this is, ehem, The Powers Wot Be won't like if you don't translate it into English. [Smile]

(Happened to me long ago, too. [Eek!] )

Ich sage ja nur! (= Just sayin'!)

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I think it's brilliant that you have some notions of German, Gramps! In my experience, they really appreciate your effort. And you may hear back some very interestingly phrased, stressed and pronounced English. - Also, well done (in my opinion) for choosing not to do too much, like several countries in one go. A wise decision!

Looking forward to hearing how your travel plans develop over the next few months! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn it Wesley J, that has neatly stopped me from going all OTT!

He's right Grampian, a translation is in order, please.

Thanks - WW - AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Was speaking to our current German student today auf Deutsch. She was so kind, not to laugh at me and was willing to correct my German where necessary. She is going to be with us just two months, though.

Her English is impeccable. She said while she learned English throughout her schooling she was not really good at it until she worked six months in Australia.

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Out of curiosity, our German student has an almost mid Western American accent. I am thinking she probably came from the old American sector. Do Germans who come from the old British sector have a British accent.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We hired an Italian tour guide, when we visited Herculaneum in Italy. He had learned his English in Britain, and the admixture of cockney with Italian was very difficult to understand.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Oberammergau probably still has the Passion play. I didn't see it, but I think it's in Lent. Some German towns had amazing murals throughout town--generally on a theme. IIRC, one had German fairy tales, and there may have been Christ's life in another one. (Oberammergau?)

Oberammergau still has the Passion Play and it happens throughout the summer but it is every ten years and the next one is 2020. However, there are a fair number of woodcarvers there even when the play is not on and you can see the theatre.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Out of curiosity, our German student has an almost mid Western American accent. I am thinking she probably came from the old American sector. Do Germans who come from the old British sector have a British accent.

It might be the other way around - which part of Europe did the early mid western Americans come from?
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of Germans among them, yes.

I myself speak German with a Norwegian accent. Guess what my teacher was?

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

It is far more likely that, as my German penpal explained to me, they were offered the choice of learning either US or UK English. He and most of his friends opted for US English.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you get as far as Cologne, the Deutscher Romanische Museum is one of the largest collections of Roman remains outside Italy, much of it found after the WW2 bombing.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

I did ask our student which sector she was from--and my wife almost died (she thought it should not be brought up). She said she actually lived in the old British section. As I listened to her answer I started to notice a little bit of the British undertone but she still has an almost perfect mid western American accent. Now if she would end her questions with an "eh" I would nail her as a Canadian.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admin note

Gramps

A few posts up, one of the All Saints hosts asked for a translation for your German post. You've posted several times since then without providing the translation you were asked for.

Please comply with the host's polite request

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
A lot of Germans among them, yes.

I myself speak German with a Norwegian accent. Guess what my teacher was?

I did my TESOL (teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) training with someone who has a strong New Zealand accent - his went on to teach in Saudi Arabia, so that could be an interesting accent blend.
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps, I think the sector thing is, with respect, a bit of a red herring - as Lamb Chopped says, it"s much more about the origin of the teacher(s).

When I was an exchange student in Germany some 30 years ago, we had great difficulty persuading our German counterparts that their (German national) English teacher's pronunciation of "clothes" as "clothès" was not one known to any native English speaker.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
When I was an exchange student in Germany some 30 years ago, we had great difficulty persuading our German counterparts that their (German national) English teacher's pronunciation of "clothes" as "clothès" was not one known to any native English speaker.

When I was a student in Germany sixty years ago, many German students insisted that their pronunciation of American place names was correct, and the Americans were wrong.

One American who tried to convince a German that Iowa was pronounced, I-oh-wa or I-oh-way, was told, "We pronounce it ee-OH-vah. The woman said this very complacently.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps

Are you going to provide a translation any time soon? It's been 4 days since you were asked to do this by a host.

Hosts really don't like being ignored. Admins like it even less.

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016