homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Greenbelt recommendations

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Greenbelt recommendations
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realise that I might be the only person from the ship going this year (given the response to my last thread on the subject), but does anyone have any recommendations? For anyone else who might pop along?

I have drawn up my list, but I could take on other acts if they are recommended.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not acts, but I will be listening to Mark Oakley and John Swinton.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And James Acaster.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Few acts, tho have signed up to be with Hope and Social on Monday night.
On my To See List:

Nadia Bolz-Weber
Terry Waite
Bob Harris (showing my age here!)
Mark Oakley
Rabbi Jonathan ?Wittenberg
Margaret Hebblethwaite
Hush by Holy Ground of
Holy Gnomes fame installation
Camper Van of Dreams, though not sure about this broadcasting your dreams through a rooftop loudspeaker thing
Tim Snead
John Bell
The Quakers
And on the practical front, if they'll let in a big child - Godly Play, Stonk Knots and Clay modelling.

As I'm volunteering, the chances of me getting to even a fraction of these is pretty unlikely, of course, but I'm agreeably surprised to see so much I like the look of; which wasn't the case when the lineup was first announced.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My "top" list is :

Barely Methodical Troupe
Bob Harris
Beth Rowley
The Mourning Sons
Emily Moulton
Hot 8 Brass Band
Nadia Bolz
Marika and Natalie
Elaine Storkey
Project Vee
Steve Lawson
Francis Spufford
Nahko and medicine for the people
Brian Draper
Katherine Maxwell-Rose
LUMA
Hope and Social
James Acaster
She Makes War
Josie Long
Mike Peters
GodTek
Alice Wroe

I also have a secondary list, if I can manage some of them.

This is a big list, but I hope to see most of them. It might be a busy weekend.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going. I haven't even looked at the programme yet though.

I'm volunteering again and suspect I'll be in one of the talks venues so I shall probably hear about six talks back to bacj in there and the collapse into either the beer tent, the Tiny Tea tent or Performance Cafe

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, will be there again with Mrs Roar and two little roarers this year!

Having the two little ones means it's only feasible to see a few things we really want to see. High on the list will be Gungor (music/worship), John Bell (always!) and Mark Yaconelli. Mark Oakley too if we can. Oh, and The Rising of course. And lots of chai at Tiny Tea!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Off topic: not recommendations)

I don't come to All Saints much so only just noticed this. I went once some years ago ('98) and I'm considering this now .

If I can find (and persuade) people to go with then at least it makes the practicalities easier as I don't have transport and a BH weekend isn't the best time to get from A to B and back on a budget with camping gear when neither A nor B are London.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly our car is full (and we're coming from London so may not be any use anyway). If you're a member of the various GB facebook groups you can post and see if anyone can give you a lift (you may have already, I don't know).

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Think there's some kind of a lift-sharing system which you can link to from the Gb website.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I'm volunteering again ...

Likewise.

There's currently only one person I'd like to go to so far, and I bet I'll be on shift when it's on!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
quote:

Likewise.

There's currently only one person I'd like to go to so far, and I bet I'll be on shift when it's on!

You can come and see other shipmates though!

I hope you get to see what you want. If there is anything anyone can do to help, just shout - my eldest is also volunteering, so might be bale to take a place if needed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
High on the list will be Gungor (music/worship), John Bell (always!) and Mark Yaconelli
I read that 'Mark' as 'Mike' (as one might on a Greenbelt thread) and gave myself a funny turn.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
quote:

Likewise.

You can come and see other shipmates though!

I hope you get to see what you want. If there is anything anyone can do to help, just shout - my eldest is also volunteering, so might be bale to take a place if needed.

Defo.

What team is he volunteering on?

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
High on the list will be Gungor (music/worship), John Bell (always!) and Mark Yaconelli
I read that 'Mark' as 'Mike' (as one might on a Greenbelt thread) and gave myself a funny turn.
Sadly I never got to hear/see the late Mike...

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're there this year. Haven't studied the program in detail yet.

Are we having a ship meet at any point?

Tom et all

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't make it, on weekend away with work colleagues (hoping that's not too bad). Arriving back, not massively far away, on the Monday (hopefully).
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be at GB this year, having been away for the last two. Can anyone who has been to the festival at Boughton House say roughly how far it is from the car park to the camping areas? We are going as a family of four, with tent and baggage to match, so have some stuff to get from A to B. The idea of paying upto £40 for a flatbed there and back doesn't appeal, so if it is short enough to carry stuff we will probably go for that. But not knowing the site layout it's hard to gauge - any pointers?
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on which end of the car park and which end of the tents.

I'd guess around 400 (-800m at the most).

sitemap
area

ariel
(On the sat map)
The stages are in the rectangular bit enclosed by woods.
You can see where the one walkway comes out through the woods into the camping area. Which ends where you can see first obstacle in each direction.
And the hatchy field is the long stay car park.

It vaguely matches up to 15 minutes walk from end to end. About the same distance as it it to Kettering. Though to get to Kett you'd have to walk 3 sides of a square.

Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jay-Emm, all quite re-assuring!
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone going there with a mystery worshipper card? [Biased]
Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have access to a detailed programme? I'm trying to find out when the Dante's Inferno performance is on, and I've narrowed it down to Monday but can't get any more specific information than that. If I go it'll be just for the day... bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing - but I'd like to see this if I can. I have a little way to travel and potentially a couple of teens to wrangle too, so I'd need to allow a certain amount of time.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I went.

And it turns out Dante was yesterday, despite it saying 'Monday' on the website.

Ah well... had a nice day anyway. Hope other Greenbelters had fun.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Post-Greenbelt recommendations:

Go to Greenbelt. It was fantastic.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have they sorted out the transport to and from the hotels yet?

When I went in 2014, the shuttle bus was running between the site and the train station, but omitted the hotels where lots of people were staying. The ~4 mile walk there and back was a right pain do at either end of the day.

Between site and station is fine on the day of arrival and departure, but for a supposedly green festival they really weren't set up to accommodate those arriving by means other than a car.

I said I wouldn't return until they sort that issue out.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
And it turns out Dante was yesterday, despite it saying 'Monday' on the website.

It was definitely on the programme for Sunday pm. And I went. At the risk of rubbing salt in the wound, it was very good, even though contemporary dance isn't usually the sort of thing I go for.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Pia:

It was definitely on the programme for Sunday pm. And I went. At the risk of rubbing salt in the wound, it was very good, even though contemporary dance isn't usually the sort of thing I go for.
Ah well... I'm glad it was good, Doc. I realised it was on the programme for Sunday when I got there - I got confused by the website. But hey... I couldn't have gone on any other day anyway, and I'm glad I did, even minus the Dante.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Between site and station is fine on the day of arrival and departure, but for a supposedly green festival they really weren't set up to accommodate those arriving by means other than a car.

It is odd, especially as there's a pretty much a straight permissive footpath right to the (bridge by the) glades.**
I can see you don't want massives of people dropping people off at Weekley church* or parking on the verges.
But having a massive detour with no footpath doesn't seem very green. You'd think there'd be some compromise.

*allegedly the outside of the Colin Firth P&P church.

**I don't know about this year, the first year I may have got passed the gate with my band on two occasions, but was stopped once from going out (and didn't push my luck).
In the second year I had to buy my tickets on the day anyway (or in Fridays case buying my program). So had to go the long way (and after the friday learned to do it by bike)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016