homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I don't give a shit about anything much

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: I don't give a shit about anything much
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from immediate family, a couple of pet projects I have on the boil, music, a couple of hobbies.

And that's it. I particularly can't get excited about God. Yeah, I know you could say I can't complain about him not talking to me when I don't make much effort to talk to him, but he's the one who never seemed to reply.

So many the things I don't care about annoy me. Fucking Olympics, bloody football. Brainless celebrities famous for being famous. I just want all this stuff everyone else gets excited about to fuck off to the other side of fuck and let me forget it ever exists.

And remember to re-order my meds.

Gah.

What do you do when you don't give a flying one any more?

Normal service will hopefully be resumed in due course.

[ 23. August 2016, 14:20: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm there at the moment.

It seems to be the natural aftermath of loss or trouble.

I usually just wait it out.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watch funny movies or old TV series. What do I have to lose?

And I sometimes crack a smile. Even if the smile lasts for just a minute or two, it's a minute of engagement.

I hope both of you are out of the funk soon.

sabine

[ 23. August 2016, 15:06: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You kind of have to hold the course. Regular habits of sleep, eat and routine. Find the smallest thing that gives you comfort, cliché me I make tea (and not teabag; I do some stupid cliché things as well). The things that take us down can be one thing or a series. All things pass, life is hard then you die, or you don't die, though morbid thoughts abound etc.

(I'm just more than 5 years into trying to cope with multi-disasters within personal/family life. Though not depressive at all by nature, I find myself melancholic and regretful that the world is as it as, God is as God is (or isn't), and people are as they are. And I wish I could do something about it all.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair reconciles you to the grave.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

So many the things I don't care about annoy me.

It's tempting to go clever and say: if you don't care about it, how come all this stuff annoys you?

But that's one of the things that annoys me! Me getting annoyed with things I don't care about! Grrr!

I just grind my teeth and swear a lot. I haven't figured out how to cope with this problem at all.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care a whit about things most folks care about but I've decided that that is more their problem than mine. My only sporting interest is cricket.

I am generally in sympathy with much you say, most of what the world values is dross - but then it always has been! I am more and more convinced that what really matters in life is love and friendship and I try to invest more in that.

Oh, and books!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Fair reconciles you to the grave.

It does, I'm afraid! I dolefully suspect my ancestors of ca. three or four hundred years ago would understand my current mindset far better than my peers.

Not that I don't hope to get out of the funk again, but I feel rather like a beetle with a pin through the back. I scramble to go somewhere, but I'm not making any progress.

Meh. This too shall pass.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME just keep plodding through.

Some people are great and manage, somehow, to be there while allowing space for my grey shell.

Some people are poisonous. I have to get myself out of their area.

Cattyish, currently cheerful enough.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stick to the few good, supportive people you know. Avoid the rest for now.

Have a good rant at God. I'm sure Moses did this from time to time, and others besides.

Dig out your all-time favourite book. Even if it is trash.

Oh, and avoid the television. That'll cure your sports and fame surfeit.

God Bless

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just yesterday I was asking a friend for recommendations for massage places because I have become so stressed about things that my back muscles have tightened up (with the occasional spasm). But then I added that I thought that I could cope without massage by simply "curling up with a good book and a warm cat."

Escapist literature gets a bad rap. Escapism is very helpful in its own way. I have shelves full of pulp fiction (The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Black Bat, Zorro...) None of it is great literature and I don't want it to be. I don't want to work that hard. It is where I can escape this world into another world for a time, to allow me to recharge my batteries and face this pesthole again.

Not that you have to read. You have your pet projects, music and hobbies. That seems to me like quite a good world to live in for a time.

As for not getting particularly excited about God, that's fine. Heck, Jesus railed "why have you forsaken me" to God. Compared to that, not being excited seems to measure up pretty darn good. I am uncertain about many things to do with God, but one thing I am sure of: he gets it. If you need to focus on yourself for a while, he'll understand. Take your time. Relax. He's eternal. He'll be there when you are done.

Peace and strength to you. All of you.

[Edit to fix a typo. Now I am all stressed out again...]

[ 23. August 2016, 22:44: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Escapist literature gets a bad rap. Escapism is very helpful in its own way. I have shelves full of pulp fiction (The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Black Bat, Zorro...) None of it is great literature and I don't want it to be. I don't want to work that hard. It is where I can escape this world into another world for a time, to allow me to recharge my batteries and face this pesthole again.

I love reading mysteries (not the hard-boiled type). They engage the problem-solving part of my brain, which distracts me from real-life problems. And most mysteries tie up all the loose ends, unlike real life.

But I prefer a warm dog to a cat!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In no special order, i appear to :
make compost....walk.....avoid numpties.....ignore the telly....drink tea in the garden.....continue avoiding people who are toxic.....take up insular activities and really enjoy them

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I can bestir myself from the inertia, cook, bake, sew, even garden. and walk. The tiniest creative act can help. As can the tea and the cat. Cats are the best therapists in the world.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actively search out people and programmes which make you laugh. Great medicine.

Animals which need caring for - they help you look outwards, and keep you busy.

I've lost interest in God too.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What do you do when you don't give a flying one any more?
I eat chocolate.

I am 5ft 5inches and I weigh 16 1/2 stone.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ can walk up a hill with me and still have the energy to chat about inconsequential matters.

Cattyish, grateful.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Apart from immediate family, a couple of pet projects I have on the boil, music, a couple of hobbies.

So you are still capable of caring.

And you have also just lost a close relative, which doesn't help anyone feel full of the joys of summer.

Currently I have little enthusiasm for anything. I do things, because I have to, but I can't currently feel excited about anything. Best summed up as listless.

I'm happy for people to enjoy themselves. If they get something out of music, or the Olympics, or can watch comedy and not find it tiresome and unfunny, well and good.

My belief in God evaporated a long time ago. The idea doesn't fit with the reality of seeing someone succumb to dementia.

What do I do when I get like this? I try to put on a cheery face to meet the world (if I can't I just avoid people). I try to stop thinking about things and start taking more at face value and being grateful for the small things that come my way. Focusing on the unhappinesses just perpetuates more unhappiness. I try to do something creative until I get bored with that. Eventually the pendulum swings the other way. It can take quite a while sometimes.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a beautiful summer by and large. I live in a gorgeous part of the country and the opportunity for air and exercise - walking for me - is huge.

And I have sat in my flat and ate.

I'm booking to go travelling instead. I don't have family or ties and so I'm jacking the job in and going away. Not for a long trip but it's escapism.

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Acedia beckons. Just not very enthusiastically...

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Join the club. [Frown]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016