homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck you black dog (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck you black dog
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
But the other signs were there: not enjoying anything, feeling bored and listless with everything, having no energy or motivation, feeling irritable, getting angry quickly...

That's depression? Bugger.
It is when out of sync with life, can also be grief.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
... Present me with a completely fucked up issue (Patdy's OP) and I usually automatically go into "Data" mode. ...

Nobody wants your fucking data mode when they're depressed. Got it? Your "automatic data mode" means you're not thinking about the other person, you're thinking about your awesomely incredible ability to solve other people's problems with your amazing "data mode".
Oh looky here. Horor Magma has done Counselling 101.

*claps hands in delight*

You might want to try Reading for Context 101 next semester.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I realize that it can be confusing or intimidating when the angry sad people wave the clue sticks at you. But, really, they're just standard symbolic clue sticks, and not meant to pantomime that they intend to pull the stick out of your ass that makes you so amazingly socially inappropriate.

[whispers]
Do you call that stick "clenchy"?
Fight clenchy. He's not doing you any favours.
[/whispers]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had the black dog somewhat backed off over the years, he's come roaring back recently. What pisses me off is the attitude of other people who think that depression is no big deal and those who suffer from it simply need to get their act together. Christians especially piss me off with the "you just need to be more thankful and have a spirit of praise and you'd be over it" speech.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

[whispers]
Do you call that stick "clenchy"?
Fight clenchy. He's not doing you any favours.
[/whispers]

[whispers back]
You're a terrible judge of character.
I'm one of the ones that runs to the toilet in the morning after my coffee and cigarette.
Sometimes it catches me in the middle of the Morning Office.
Terrible business.
[/whispers]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

It's best if you do it this way Latchkey:

*sigh*

Heightens the dramatic tension.*

* No fee this time.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm one of the ones that runs to the toilet in the morning after my coffee and cigarette.

That could be a perfectly legitimate psychosomatic reaction to your the smashing together of the holiness of the office, common sense and the ever present knowledge of your “I am as crazy as a squirrel on LSD” ways.

Fly Safe Dude, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm my case as in many others depression is cause by a chemical imbalance. So I agree completely with the OP and others that it's a lie. A distortion of reality.

However I interpreted Evensongs questions and posts a little differently than her detractors.

Depression can also be brought on by true things. If instead of sticking your head in the sand you actualy take a proper look at the world you will notice how very fucked it is right now. It's very insidious in this light to be patted on the head by Dr's and politicians and told that everythings just fine, it's all in your head, just keep taking your pills.

So some forms of depression can in fact be truth.

And just to add...

Depression is the morning when you discover that smiling and responding with "I'm fine" feels like it would take the energy equivalent of running three marathons.

Depression is the night you discover with shock that the phrase "it felt like rats were gnawing on my stomach" isn't a fictional cliche.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
I think my black dog is beaten.

I think.

He still follows me around all the time. It's been over ten years now since he did any real damage but he still keeps on following me. He seems to think that one day he'll be able to catch me again. Maybe he's right. He does keep plodding along behind me expectantly. He's got closer recently than for a long time, but not too close. Not yet.

Like most dogs, he's loyal and likes to stick close to his old master. Just in case he gets thrown another bone. And out of habit, sometimes we can't help ourselves.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
And the worst part is anhedonia because most of the time I can stay ok by distraction anhedonia makes distraction impossible

This. This. This.

I have chronic moderate to severe depression. In my last severe episode I couldn't either remember, or imagine, what it felt like to want to do *anything*.

I'm OK right now, but for those of you who aren't, just the fact that you're here, putting your hands up, makes things better. Your very existence consolidates me. You are my sisters and brothers. If there's anything I can do...

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. When it hits me I become like the crew of the Black Pearl, wholly unable to appreciate even the finer things in life - it all becomes like dust.

Praise the Lord and pass the venlafaxine.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think I've got a new title.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

I think I've got a new title.
RooK, don’t reward her. Evensong's the sort who stops at road accidents to observe the lacerations, the pools of blood, the groaning and cries for help, etc., and then, when the medics arrive, expects them to begin by treating the nausea she’s developed as a result of stopping and observing.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh what a pile of tedious bullshit. Evensong is very obviously a quite lovely human being in real life, and if you cannot get a sense of that because or despite what she posts on this discussion forum, and if you're so terribly fond of your cynical opinion of her character that you'll slag her off publicly, well then you're a bit of a cunt, frankly.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Oh what a pile of tedious bullshit. Evensong is very obviously a quite lovely human being in real life, and if you cannot get a sense of that because or despite what she posts on this discussion forum, and if you're so terribly fond of your cynical opinion of her character that you'll slag her off publicly, well then you're a bit of a cunt, frankly.

Also her posts aren't out of order in a hell thread.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

In the spirit of Evensong's systematic misinterpretation of everything, I decided to assume she meant definition #2 for "terrible".

As for Yorick's re-re-re-re-re-re...re-bungling of the applicability of Real Truth™, just sit back and admire the hilarious hypocrisy of it all. How dare we form negative opinions of people just because of the horrible and loathsome ideas they express?

Mind you, the part that continues to amuse me is how Yorick and Evensong persist in being surprised and blithe about this dynamic. Sincerely, both of you: Yorick and Evensong - please never change. You mean so well (and so will probably always be welcome here) and yet are like bacon-flavoured plutonium for my smugness reactor. I really can't thank you enough.

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do so love to please.

Look, I don’t know what she’s like any more than anyone else, but it’s my opinion that she’s lovely. The difference between me and the person who thinks she isn’t is that, being a bit of a cunt, they choose to think badly of her on the same basis that I think well of her, and they’re so proud of their judgement that they’ll publicly defame her character and thus vilify her in this community, in which she is deeply invested. All of which proves, rather neatly I think, that they’re a bit of a cunt.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK your conversion of 'terrible judge of character' to 'terrible judge' is a screwing with the text that a biblical theologian would be proud of. And you thought we wouldn't corrupt your soul. Nice title but.

And thanks Sioni and Pyx_e for your posts. I needed to vent and be a bit shouty. Hell was exactly the right board. And I have no issues with a dissection of my post or thoughts.

And to those fighting the dog. And I suspect that is many more than I will ever know. I wish you well and will pray for you for what it is worth.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
I'm my case as in many others depression is cause by a chemical imbalance.

I'm not sure that chemical imbalance is established as a cause, is it?
quote:
So I agree completely with the OP and others that it's a lie. A distortion of reality.

Yes.
quote:
Depression can also be brought on by true things. If instead of sticking your head in the sand you actualy take a proper look at the world you will notice how very fucked it is right now. It's very insidious in this light to be patted on the head by Dr's and politicians and told that everythings just fine, it's all in your head, just keep taking your pills.

So some forms of depression can in fact be truth.

I think there's a difference between getting depressed about the state of the world and having Depression. Depression takes a truth like that and twists it. Maybe I've been very un/lucky, but I never found a doctor who told me just to take the tablets. Before I actually got tablets, I had to sit through lectures about examining my lifestyle etc. And, in a way they were right - but you can't sort out anything much in the grip of depression. For many years I swore that, if I ever got in that state again, I would say: "Spare me the lecture and just givemethe fuckingtablets!"

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

That could be a perfectly legitimate psychosomatic reaction to your the smashing together of the holiness of the office, common sense and the ever present knowledge of your “I am as crazy as a squirrel on LSD” ways.

Fly Safe Dude, Pyx_e

LSD? You're totally showing your age. [Razz] I never got past buying a bundle of pot (aged 17) and not being able to smoke it all.

And you called me Dude.

Does that mean we're biffles now? [Axe murder]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
LSD? You're totally showing your age. [Razz] I never got past buying a bundle of pot (aged 17) and not being able to smoke it all.

And you called me Dude.

Does that mean we're biffles now? [Axe murder]

I think you're showing your age. At least around here LSD and modern derivatives have made a comeback over the past five years. [Frown]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

True dat.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do so love to please.

Look, I don’t know what she’s like any more than anyone else, but it’s my opinion that she’s lovely. The difference between me and the person who thinks she isn’t is that, being a bit of a cunt, they choose to think badly of her on the same basis that I think well of her, and they’re so proud of their judgement that they’ll publicly defame her character and thus vilify her in this community, in which she is deeply invested. All of which proves, rather neatly I think, that they’re a bit of a cunt.

Erm, it's Hell, idn't it?

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
quote:
I do so love to please.

Erm, it's Hell, idn't it?
Hell is where you boldly exercise your prerogative to be a huge cunt, and where you express flabbergasted outrage at other people being a huge cunt. I think Yorick nailed it, don't you?

(Awaits RooKian shaft aimed at huge cunt reference.Lays self out on altar of humor.)

(Fully aware of pun.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of months away from the ship and what do I find upon my return? A perfectly good thread about depression turd-balling into a ground-hog of abuse because of someone's annoying but clearly accidental insensitivity. You guys should really get out more. Blimey.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
A couple of months away from the ship and what do I find upon my return? A perfectly good thread about depression turd-balling into a ground-hog of abuse because of someone's annoying but clearly accidental insensitivity. You guys should really get out more. Blimey.

Two hours away from the ship and what do I find on my return ........

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IM personal O, these crossover threads are beginning to confuse people. One minute they hear "Take your crybaby shit to AS, cupcake; this is not the place for compassion": and the next they are being screamed at for insensitivity.

Whatever, people were turning it into a venting communal rant thread, and there is precedent for that as per "Fuck Cancer", and I joined in.

And at some point last night,I felt a choice was before me:

1. I could scream at Schrodenger's cat for overreacting to Evensong's somewhat clod-hopping but genuine expression of cluelessness. (But this is Hell, he can do that.)

2. I could scream at Evensong for gleefully swimming over and jamming the great big hook straight into her mouth. (but this is Hell, she can do that.)

3. I could climb into my big warm bed and self-soothe by hating everyone on the planet, all at once.

And I thought to myself- what would RooK do?

Adirondack comforters are the best, do you know that? Will never go back, now I've tried them.

(On that note-- RooK, you have been going through a period of astonishing beauty lately.)

[ 15. January 2013, 17:11: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, I guess that makes you the guy who goes along poking turds with his stick, yelling 'Turd!'.

Or did you have something useful to say here apropos your own criticism of the thread?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

Two hours away from the ship and what do I find on my return ........

--------------------

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Well, I guess that makes you the guy who goes along poking turds with his stick, yelling 'Turd!'.

You have those in Ireland too?
[Devil]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

(Awaits RooKian shaft aimed at huge cunt reference.Lays self out on altar of humor.)

(Fully aware of pun.)

Perhaps Rook feels such an easy person, erm target, not worthy the effort. I admit I was sorely tempted as the Circus has not yet deemed itself worthy of a certain thread's return.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

There's a backstory to that. Way back in the salad days of Hell, I accused RooK of having a teenie weenie, and he called me Cavernous Kelly the Loose. Good times, good times...

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:

You have those in Ireland too?
[Devil]

It's a fairly international occupation! Everyone's got to have a job of some sort, I suppose. [Big Grin]
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
IM personal O, these crossover threads are beginning to confuse people. One minute they hear "Take your crybaby shit to AS, cupcake; this is not the place for compassion": and the next they are being screamed at for insensitivity.

True story.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

True story.
Sure is. Hence my Hostly notice from only two days ago (but on the previous page).

Sioni Sais
Caring Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Like most dogs, he's loyal and likes to stick close to his old master. Just in case he gets thrown another bone. And out of habit, sometimes we can't help ourselves.

So so true...

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it’s very unkind to have a go at Evensong when one of her protectors is away. Remember – if you get too close to forcing her to actually engage on her interesting interpersonal skills, one of her personal support team will get shouty and then the thread will be closed and deleted (rather than archived) like last time.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody will be along in a minute to accuse Evensong of making this thread all about her.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
I think it’s very unkind to have a go at Evensong when one of her protectors is away. Remember – if you get too close to forcing her to actually engage on her interesting interpersonal skills, one of her personal support team will get shouty and then the thread will be closed and deleted (rather than archived) like last time.

I don’t follow Evensong closely enough to know which protectors you are talking about. From what I have seen so far, Evensong seems perfectly capable of defending herself on these boards. She has a big girl panty and wears it pretty well, me finks.

[tangent]
You seem to think that a (Evensong) thread being deleted (rather than archived) is a bad thing. As someone who has witlessly made a dogmeat of a thread on this board not that long ago, I can only say that I am deeply grateful to the hosts and admin on this board for their kind consideration in deleting the thread rather than archiving it. I think it’s a kindness that has often gone unnoticed and under-appreciated by Shipmates. Perhaps it’s because I am not as smart as many of you that I value this kindness more. But can anyone on these boards (especially in Hell) be sure that he or she will never need a little kind consideration from the hosts someday? [/tangent]

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

So, you're saying Evensong is fat? [Eek!]

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
Perhaps it’s because I am not as smart as many of you that I value this kindness more.

Don't underestimate your wit and intelligence, Pooks. Were it not for you, I would never have learned that comparing someone to a Jane Austen character was the most biting criticism one could make in Hell.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

What the fuck are you on about?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could the tangent please stop.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Could the tangent please stop.

Good luck with that (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I can't find a way to say it that doesn't look that way on an internet bulletin board).

Patdys, I've been here long enough to know what p-a-t-d-y-s stands for--not just your moniker, but a bit about what you stand for as a person. There have been times I stalked your posts--because you (like Pyx_e and a few others) have a way of saying something that makes me go "Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that." When I saw the OP, though, I wasn't sure what your intent was--nor did it really become clearer when others began to post (no real surprise there, I suppose).

Did you intend to call depression to Hell because it had destroyed the family of which you spoke? Did you mean to call depression to Hell because of your own fight, which was made harder by the grief of this funeral? Did you mean this to be a depression equivalent of the cancer thread? Did you just mean to rail against the dying of the light?

The answer to any one of those questions could have directed the thread on very different pathways. None of them, it seems to me, would be unworthy of your Hell call--but if I was a bit confused (being pre-disposed to take your contributions seriously) it's no surprise that other shipmates took the thread in its own meandering direction.

...which brings me back to my first observation, the one I can't seem to get the seeming-snarkiness out of. You've been here longer than I have, and you don't need me to remind you that it is rare for an OPer to get a second chance to direct a thread's discussion...especially in Hell...especially on page 2. If you clarify your original intent a bit, though, I for one will respect it.

I doubt everyone will, but I don't expect to be the only one who does.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

FYBD for what you do to my team leader and friend D. He's been recovering pretty well from a combination of depression, anxiety, guilt underpinned by PTSD, and last night he went over the top and down again.

Get off him, evil damned dog and give him his life back.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what is depressing me these days is that my current treatment isn't working anymore. I've tried every anti-depressant known to humankind and none of them work... well, I've been on Zoloft off and on for years and years but at 200 mg/daily, the stuff just doesn't do anything anymore.

Here is some advice, though, for anyone who might benefit. I did a medical research study last year for a medication that is in extremely limited use at the moment. It's not 100% Ketamine, but it is, as the doctors told me, "a cousin of Ketamine". This medicine worked so damn well that it completely stopped the depression for the three months I was in the study!! And, I'm still feeling some of the effects, just not as well as I did when I was getting weekly infusions of it.

If any of you are really in a bad way, this "cousin of Ketamine" has been shown to completely reverse moderate to severe depression symptoms in less than twenty-four hours! Unfortunately, I was enrolled in the 2nd Tier of the study and it has to go through one more tier and then on to the F.D.A. for approval and whatever equivalent government body in other countries. The side effects were minimal for me and the suppression/reversal of depression far outweighed the slight negatives. It's an infusion and the needles aren't small but it was well worth it. I'm now trying to get into a new study that uses just straight Ketamine, no "cousins" involved! [Smile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are Evensong or Rook the Black Dog? No. Can we, as has been mentioned, get back to the subject? I have just found out I have depression and can't believe the way this has gone. Could we get back to the OP please.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I've been quiet for three days dickhead.

Eat your fuckin heart out.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
Are Evensong or Rook the Black Dog? No. Can we, as has been mentioned, get back to the subject? I have just found out I have depression and can't believe the way this has gone. Could we get back to the OP please.

[Mad] and FYBD on your behalf, Hugal.

[Votive]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016