homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's the sort of "blokeish" man that gives some of us a bad name. We're not all fascinated by cars and football - some of us have real lives.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
He's the sort of "blokeish" man that gives some of us a bad name. We're not all fascinated by cars and football - some of us have real lives.

I don't think it's either/or, is it?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
A friend just said to me that the best thing about TG is that it's very silly, and I thought that's quite perceptive. Clarkson on his own is not my cup of tea, but the three of them do tickle my tickling stick; they are also reasonably tasteless, which again appeals to me.

I feel much the same way. I can't stand Clarkson but I must admit I often enjoy watching Top Gear

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
A friend just said to me that the best thing about TG is that it's very silly, and I thought that's quite perceptive. Clarkson on his own is not my cup of tea, but the three of them do tickle my tickling stick; they are also reasonably tasteless, which again appeals to me.

I feel much the same way. I can't stand Clarkson but I must admit I often enjoy watching Top Gear
I'm sorry, I can't remember what sex you are, but one thing that shocked me is how many female friends watch it. Well, trash heals.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I feel the same, I think. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with Clarkson, say, but I'm rather miffed that my Sunday night viewing for the next three weeks has been ruined.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I agree with Siegfried. I'm 53 and I never heard anything but "tiger" in that rhyme until I was an adult and read about it.

I knew nothing but the N version at school.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think I'll set up a new web-site for secret Top Gear watchers. Anonymity guaranteed.

Some stats show a 40% female audience, maybe they like cars.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
I agree with Siegfried. I'm 53 and I never heard anything but "tiger" in that rhyme until I was an adult and read about it.

I'm 37 and it was the N version when I was at school also. As far as the instance of Clarkson using that version now goes, it seems to me it was crass and discourteous of him (what a surprise), because he is unlikely to have not realised that it would upset a lot of people, but it doesn't seem racist to use the N word in that context - it's a quotation, it doesn't represent anything about the reciter's views on the topic of race. Should we excise the C word from Chaucer on the same basis?* It is considered a very bad word now - quite an insult, not just a descriptor.

*Not that I am trying to suggest that similar weight be given to Chaucer and nursery rhymes.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Minimal sorrow for his cohosts as they participate in, and contribute to, the objectionable behaviour.

That's because in most people's mind Clarkson is the focus of all that is bad about TG.

Clarkson has been blamed on this thread and in my morning paper of calling Mexicans lazy and feckless. That was Richard Hammond who was also involved in the Slope joke.

But this is a program that sells across the world. People in foreign countries do not seem to have the same problem with Top Gear's implicit mild racism. The odd diplomat may complain, but the TV companies keep on buying.

Top Gear may succeed abroad because of the racist, sexist element rather than despite it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I'll set up a new web-site for secret Top Gear watchers. Anonymity guaranteed.

I like to watch Top Gear. I'm female, on the other side of the world, and have very little interest in cars. Here's why I like it: It's funny, often laugh-out-loud funny, and it seems like there is precious little to laugh about much of the time, so I'm grateful for any funny stuff I can plonk myself in front of.

Lest anyone have a sniff at me for laughing at Mexicans being insulted or truck drivers being compared to serial killers, I should say that I actually find that stuff excruciating - and I did once see some outtakes from Top Gear in which Jeremy Clarkson did a really excessive amount of cleavage-leering, accompanied by comments, which was just gross. The thing is, they could quit all that stuff entirely and still have a show that was side-achingly funny. The train made of caravans! The off-road caravanning! The Reliant Robin section! Comedy gold! That last one still makes me laugh out loud whenever I see it, and I've seen it quite a number of times. The thing is, apart from the fact that it wastes materials, this sort of thing is completely harmless fun, and it turns out that I, cubicle farm worker number 80045271, haven't quite dried out and shriveled up to the point where I can't delight in seeing others have fun. Even if it is scripted a lot of the time.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, some women do. Cars can be quite interesting. I like seeing what the presenters do with them, and I enjoy their adventures, the stunts, and having a look at the different countries they visit. I wish I had as much ease and confidence with driving! The three of them are amusing, juvenile, blokey, annoying, but good television.

Top Gear without Clarkson wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't particularly want to meet him in person but as part of a three-way combination with the other two presenters, it works quite well. Break that up and you lose the formula.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
quote:

I'm 37 and it was the N version when I was at school also. As far as the instance of Clarkson using that version now goes, it seems to me it was crass and discourteous of him (what a surprise), because he is unlikely to have not realised that it would upset a lot of people, but it doesn't seem racist to use the N word in that context - it's a quotation, it doesn't represent anything about the reciter's views on the topic of race. Should we excise the C word from Chaucer on the same basis?* It is considered a very bad word now - quite an insult, not just a descriptor.

*Not that I am trying to suggest that similar weight be given to Chaucer and nursery rhymes.

I think it's already been pointed out that eenie meenie was not shown on TV, so how would it upset people?

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Yes, some women do. Cars can be quite interesting. I like seeing what the presenters do with them, and I enjoy their adventures, the stunts, and having a look at the different countries they visit. I wish I had as much ease and confidence with driving! The three of them are amusing, juvenile, blokey, annoying, but good television.
Dear Alien Being,

Please give us back Ariel, we will pay a reasonable sum.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's already been pointed out that eenie meenie was not shown on TV, so how would it upset people.

I think it was his vehement denial on Twitter following the initial report that he would ever say that word, and his excuse to the programme makers that it inadvertantly sounded like he had.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

The new forum on Top Gear will include sections on shame, coming out to friends and family as a covert TG watcher, and, crucially, how belief in a higher power (non-denominational), gave you the courage to emerge. My name is Cuthbert, I fought my demons, and I watch TG. Hold me.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I grant that the current Clarkson-Top Gear persona is sometimes tiresome, don't insist that this is all there is to the man. Go and watch his documentary on the VC, and then comment on what you see in him.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm male, totally uninterested in cars, but I like Top Gear in a way. Mainly because, as someone said further up, it is silly. In fact, it is insanely silly.

But having said that, Clarkson is a bastard and on his own a rather likeable person. His nastiness is only shored up by the relative likeability of this side-kicks. However, I must concede that the edgy anti-PCness of his show does resonate somewhere in me and possibly brings out my own bastardness.

That is all very drole, but of recent the shows have just become re-runs of themselves. They've milked it for what they can, and I think that after 20+ series it's time to lower the curtains and send it the same way as Friends. What better way than to end it on a Clarksonian bombshell?

All three are damaged goods. The only character capable of running his own future show would be the Stig.

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
Whilst I grant that the current Clarkson-Top Gear persona is sometimes tiresome, don't insist that this is all there is to the man. Go and watch his documentary on the VC, and then comment on what you see in him.

Well, I think that's the point; he is playing a character, which people may not like. It reminds of when people used to ask why Clint Eastwood is such a bastard. Erm ...

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am totally in agreement with anoesis and Ariel -- I am not Top Gear's target demographic, but I enjoy the humour in it though I couldn't be less interested in cars. I enjoy it because of Clarkson, not in spite of him -- though a smaller subset of that is that I enjoy Clarkson in spite of his racist/sexist comments, not because of them. I commented in Heaven when we were discussing Top Gear that he is the only comedian I can think of who I find hilarious although I disagree with almost everything he says. With most comedians my appreciation of their humour is based on sharing, at least to some extent, their political and cultural prejudices; with Clarkson I find him funny even when he's expressing views I disagree with (minus the really overtly racist and sexist stuff). I quite get that not everyone likes him and he certainly deserves to be disciplined, but there are quite a lot of people who you might not identify as the "typical" Top Gear fan or Clarkson fan, who enjoy both him and the show.

[ 11. March 2015, 20:18: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite what I've said earlier about Clarkson, his journalism is very good, I think. His car reviews in the Sunday Times are often brilliantly entertaining. (Perhaps they're more enjoyable because you don't have to listen to him while reading them?)
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to enjoy Top Gear but now just find it irritating, which is why I watched Call the Midwife on my computer whilst Darllenwr and Lord P watched Top Gear on the TV.
Darllenwr has said that Clarkson can be a serious presenter - he has done some good, serious programmes. Hammond and May have also done some serious work and have had their own series. IMO, Clarkson of Top Gear has become a brand, and he acts the brand.
I don't know how much control he has over the script of Top Gear, but there are times where he really does go too far and it's cringeworthy. This still doesn't excuse him for thumping a producer.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
The man is supposed to be a television presenter, for crying out loud. If we were talking about an elderly good hearted senior citizen who had inadvertently referred to, say, Lenny Henry as a coloured gentleman i might have some sympathy but, really, a professional television presenter who is paid a shit load of money for his job not thinking "Do you know, as this is being recorded, I'm going to do what every seven year old in the country now does and use the term 'Vicar' instead".

You seem to be confusing "as this is being recorded" with "as this is being broadcast".

Also, I'm always fascinated by this argument that being in the spotlight - television personality, sports star - suddenly makes it necessary for you to be a perfect human being. Seriously, it gets to the stage where Jesus might struggle with his actions being perceived in a certain light.

I do think that there are some things that Clarkson has done which he should answer for, but it always seemed to me that the nursery rhyme incident was ridiculously overinflated, not least because he self-corrected!

That which is recorded can be subsequently broadcast, or at least played back to your enemies.

And we are not talking about Ed Miliband looking a bit odd eating a bacon sandwich. We are talking about two g's, an i, an n, an e and a r. And I'm not just about to break into a chorus of "only a ginger, can call another ginger, ginger".

Now if you think that it is acceptable to use the word 'n*gg*r' in polite conversation, then fair enough. But I suspect that there will be a certain amount of outrage that I have just used the word 'n*gg*r' despite the fact that I am using it to point out that Jeremy Clarkson was being racist to use the word 'n*gg*r' and that you appear to think that it was all right for Jeremy Clarkson to use the word 'n*gg*r', because he "auto-corrected" after using the word 'n*gg*r'.

So you have to decide. Either the last paragraph was unacceptable and I should have known this. In which case please accept my auto-correction. Or the N-word is a semi-acceptable part of public discourse, if one is being edgy and transgressive.

On balance, I've decided that using the word marks one down irredeemably as being a bit of a c-word. So I've gone back and inserted asterisks. Because the word n*gg*r ought not to be used in public discourse, just to show how clever one is.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, I'm 41 and I learnt Clarkson's version, and would struggle not to use it. But I'm Australian, and the whole world knows that Australians are a bunch of horrible racist bastards anyway.

As to whether sensitivity about "nigger" reached the UK (and Australia) later: absolutely, because it's simply not the case in those countries that people treat the word as the absolute screaming offence that it's treated in the USA. It's still considered a bad word here, but it is noticeable that American Shipmates don't want to write the word out in full in the way I just did, whereas to me it's not filled with any more nastiness than fuck, shit or various other nasty words that get written down here in Hell.

EDIT: And I wrote all that before observing Callan's efforts to tiptoe around writing it.

[ 11. March 2015, 20:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do some people really substitute "Vicar"?

I'm 49 and Canadian, and grew up saying "tiger." Only heard about the n-word version years later -- possibly as a teenager.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Me too - I'm 57
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TG has me reaching for the off switch even faster than the Match of the Day theme or the Archers, both of which break Einstein's strictures regarding the speed of light. And that was beforr I realised what an unpleasant little troll Clarkson is.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As to whether sensitivity about "nigger" reached the UK (and Australia) later: absolutely, because it's simply not the case in those countries that people treat the word as the absolute screaming offence that it's treated in the USA.

Might be a reason other than the poster's nationality. Wonder what that could be?
quote:

It's still considered a bad word here, but it is noticeable that American Shipmates don't want to write the word out in full in the way I just did, whereas to me it's not filled with any more nastiness than fuck, shit or various other nasty words that get written down here in Hell.

Well, White folks in the US, and by proximity Canada, have had that drilled into them.
The UK and Australia, hmmmm, I think your perception is off.
White Brits and Aussies don't think it is any more offecive. Not everyone else agrees.

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
54, and never heard "tiger" in that rhyme. I suppose I would have used the version I know without even thinking about it - then realised and felt very guilty. (Not that I've ever had any reason to use the rhyme)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I heard 'Chinaman' when I was a child; I also heard some nasty Chinese-specific rhymes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A valid observation was made by one of my colleagues in work at lunchtime today, when the place was wall-to-wall with Clarkson; if one of us had thrown a punch at a work colleague, it would have attracted instant dismissal. It would be treated as gross misconduct and, for that, no prior warnings are necessary. My Employers would have just one word to say to me: "Goodbye". They might continue with, "Your P45 will be in the post."

One might ask why Clarkson is so different to the rest of us ...

It was also observed that the BBC have something of a problem; given the relative pay scales, it is perhaps difficult for them sometimes to work out who is the boss (said, slightly tongue in cheek, to our Site Manager).

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The UK and Australia, hmmmm, I think your perception is off.

Or my circumstance is different?

If you like, I could do a quick survey of people in their early 40s who grew up in this Australian city and find out whether they grew up with any kind of notable population of black Africans present. But I'm pretty sure I can tell you the answer. There is simply no reason to learn to be hypersensitive about offending people you are never going to meet.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I'm 41 and I learnt Clarkson's version, and would struggle not to use it. But I'm Australian, and the whole world knows that Australians are a bunch of horrible racist bastards anyway.

In my childhood (and I'm about your age) there was some playground debate over whether the word in the rhyme was "nigger" or "nicker". The latter was presumably a thief - someone who nicks, which made sense of the catching by the toe part, as homophonic ladies undergarments don't typically have toes. Nobody knew what a "nigger" was, except that it was the word that half the playground thought went in the rhyme.

I didn't grow up with racism against black people, because there weren't any. Any racism that was going around was directed against the Chinese, who were the only significant ethnic minority in my neck of the woods. The only black face in my childhood was the wonderful Floella Benjamin on Play Away - the first black person I remember encountering in real life was a boy from Ethiopia who joined my school when I was about 10.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Response to orfeo:
I understand this. But given how much culture is imported from the US, it is difficult to credit that the majority have no exposure to the weight of the word.
And, in the UK, there have long been things like the colour "nigger-brown". Unless there has been a "Chalky-Bastard White" colour that I have missed, the history does not paint a pretty picture.
And if Clarkson doesn't understand the meaning of every slur he's mentioned, I'll join the petition to keep him on.
And the very fact he muttered instead of speaking out loud might be a teensy-weenie clue as to his awareness.

[ 11. March 2015, 21:42: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Response to orfeo:
I understand this. But given how much culture is imported from the US, it is difficult to credit that the majority have no exposure to the weight of the word.

On the contrary. Given how much the word is censored in the US, it is difficult to credit that any culture exported over here would expose us to the word to enable us to appreciate its weight.

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of the tiger version until I read this thread. I grew up with the N-version and the monkey version (to which parental guidance consistently directed us).
Oh, that was the 70s.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whatever else he is, he - when he wants to be - is a great journalist.

This - The Greatest Raid of All Time (2007) is an astounding piece of work. Similarly his contribution to The Greatest Britons (Brunel) is also a fine piece of work.

It's very clear that there is a significant number of people who's got it in for him.

Of course, If he did hit someone then he should be sacked. Otherwise, can I go back to watching Top Gear please?

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Guardian has an article about how the Beeb treated the journalists who came up with the news stories on Jimmy Savile.

Moo

[ 11. March 2015, 23:22: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly furry hat on

There has already been a hostly warning about importing Saville's crimes on this thread.

Let's just not.

Hostly furry hat off

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I think William Woollard's still about, isn't he? Perhaps he might like the gig if Angela Rippon isn't available.

I've just Googled them; William Woollard is 75 and Angela Rippon is 70. Both are at the stage of life when one has to get medical permission for one's driving licence to be renewed, so it seems unlikely that they'd be serious candidates for replacing the presenter of a motoring show.

Just my 2p.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top Gear isn't really a motoring show. It's silly entertainment that happens to include a few cars. If you were thinking of buying a new car, and wanting to see a comparison between the latests 3-door run-arounds from Ford, Vauxhall, Renault and Nissan you wouldn't watch Top Gear to find out.

Top Gear used to be a motoring show, but it was axed by the BBC and the whole production moved to Channel 5 (where it ran with most of the same presenters and the same format as "Fifth Gear"). Fifth Gear might even provide useful information on your choice between 3-door run-abouts.

The problem faced by the BBC is that the current version of Top Gear was reintroduced by Clarkson, he devised the format and most of the features. If he retains any rights to the idea (and, he's a smart cookie so I'd be surprised if he didn't) the BBC may not be able to continue the show without his permission.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

The problem faced by the BBC is that the current version of Top Gear was reintroduced by Clarkson, he devised the format and most of the features. If he retains any rights to the idea (and, he's a smart cookie so I'd be surprised if he didn't) the BBC may not be able to continue the show without his permission.

My understanding is that Clarkson owned 50% of the rights, but a few years ago the BBC bough his share and now own all the rights to the format, but I'd need to look that up for verification.

[ 12. March 2015, 07:10: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

My understanding is that Clarkson owned 50% of the rights, but a few years ago the BBC bough his share and now own all the rights to the format, but I'd need to look that up for verification.
Yes. See the section of this article entitled "Who makes the loot?"
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, to prove my point, the other Murdoch testicle tickler adds his pound of honey tasting venom to the tightly controlled attempt to prop up the Trojan horse that is Clarkson.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the rhyme:

I'd heard of the N version; sometimes used the tiger version; but I think we mostly used other animals--a froggy, maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

I didn't grow up with racism against black people, because there weren't any. Any racism that was going around was directed against the Chinese, who were the only significant ethnic minority in my neck of the woods. The only black face in my childhood was the wonderful Floella Benjamin on Play Away - the first black person I remember encountering in real life was a boy from Ethiopia who joined my school when I was about 10.

I grew up in a very vanilla, Euro-Am place, with sprinkles of people of other ethnicities. And most of the E-Am folks were of N. Euro ancestry--which meant that even Italians were a bit exotic. AFAIK, there were no African-Americans there for most of my childhood. First time I saw an African-American in real life was driving past one, in another town. I think the first time I *met* anyone A-Am was when I was around 12, and we got a few new kids at school. (Not a busing situation, AFAIK, because I hadn't seen any A-Am kids in town.) I tried too hard to make friends with them.

I've had some things to sort out in that area: I had some A-Am role models, admired various famous people, heard of great things in African history--and, of course, sung in Sunday School about Jesus loving little children of all colors.

But it was the '60s and '70s, which meant seeing A-Am riots on the news, the Black Power movement, protests, etc. Scary stuff. For a kid without appropriate experience, it was very confuddling.

As an adult, I haven't been around many A-Ams in daily life (college, work, residence). Not something I sought out. I've been around many people of many other ethnicities--but, for whatever reasons, very few African Americans.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A valid observation was made by one of my colleagues in work at lunchtime today, when the place was wall-to-wall with Clarkson; if one of us had thrown a punch at a work colleague, it would have attracted instant dismissal. It would be treated as gross misconduct and, for that, no prior warnings are necessary. My Employers would have just one word to say to me: "Goodbye". They might continue with, "Your P45 will be in the post."

One might ask why Clarkson is so different to the rest of us ...

Yes, that's what I thought too. It all looks like he's got way too big for his boots and feels he has to maintain his blokeish persona for his "fans."

The alternative possibility is that it is all some kind of publicity stunt .... after all, how did the news actually get out?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monkey when I was growing up 40 years ago. A lot later I heard the N version. Indeed, I don't know that I knew the N word at primary school.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the row was about dinner.

The presenters' contract says they get a hot meal at the end of the day - which, since it is usually a 10-12 hour day with much of it spent outdoors, is not unreasonable.

The production team have known this for ages, but this time they managed to book a hotel where food service normally stops at 9.30pm and didn't make arrangements either for the chef to stay on or for food to be available elsewhere. Instead the crew were offered a cheese and cold meat platter, and Mr Clarkson objected.

If you had been looking forward to a hot meal after a day (it was cold, wet with snow flurries) spent shooting outside and were offered bread, ham and cheese, would YOU be delighted?

And since the production team had known about the problem for days, wouldn't you expect them to have made efforts to fix it?

Wrong to take a swing at someone - YES. Understandable that he was moved to want to - YES.

I'd call that a score-draw. Both parties in the wrong. Kiss-and-make-up and let the rest of the world get on with the more serious stuff.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the first version I heard was "tinker" because that's the clean version I remember my parents used. I heard the N version pretty early too though.
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Of course now that I think of it tinker probably had overtones of anti-Romany prejudice so...

But then as I found out in my teens, a lot of the milder swearing alternatives were not unproblematic if you dug into them. My parents tolerate "blimey" for example but might not if they'd known it was a shortening of "God blind me".

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I think William Woollard's still about, isn't he? Perhaps he might like the gig if Angela Rippon isn't available.

I've just Googled them; William Woollard is 75 and Angela Rippon is 70. Both are at the stage of life when one has to get medical permission for one's driving licence to be renewed, so it seems unlikely that they'd be serious candidates for replacing the presenter of a motoring show.

Just my 2p.

Well, role modelling for older drivers!
But the green light indicates that a joke is intended.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016