homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson. (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going way off topic, so I've started a new thread.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originaly posted by mdijon:

quote:
Very deanoluded.
[Killing me] [Overused]

[ 23. March 2015, 17:47: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back in topic ...

It was reported in this morning'g Metro that Clarkson says he will sue the BBC if he is sacked.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be the Metro owned by the Daily Mail Group, I assume.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The free newspaper owned by ... oh, who cares who owns it. It's free.

You get what you pay for.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The free newspaper owned by ... oh, who cares who owns it. It's free.

You get what you pay for.

And you get the agenda of whoever supplies it for free. If only there was a proverb or a saying about smiling people bearing gifts, or some such.
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say "beware of Greeks bearing gifts" but I am pretty sure *eano does not like Greeks and it will just set him off again.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
............ plus screw Clarkson, he has been a 5th columnist at the BBC for years, playing a game for his imp master. Undermining, belittling, faux vox populi*. Now as his game is up he reaches into his underpants for a pile of festering poo to fling in a vain attempt to keep his name on the front page.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
... Hammond made the comments about Mexicans which gave the show trouble. And, looking at it again, May was also a participant.

My understanding was that Mr. May said he didn't like Mexican food.

If that makes him a racist, then heaven help us. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First, I didn't say May was racist. I said he was complicit in the behaviour which garnered complaint.
Second, he did not simply say he didn't like Mexican food.
quote:

James May introduced the car as "The Tortilla", then remarked that he did not remember what it was called. Hammond then stated: "Cars reflect national characteristics... a Mexican car's just going to be a lazy, feckless, flatulent oaf with a moustache, leaning against a fence asleep, looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat". This was followed up by James May suggesting that all Mexican food resembles "refried sick",

So, I have friends who are racist. If I say nothing to their comments, or join in mildly, would it not be fair to think I might share their attitudes?

The state of Mexican food in the UK is far from good, this is true. But to come from a country whose national spice rack had 2 slots before pillaging India and offer food critique....

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
[...] But to come from a country whose national spice rack had 2 slots before pillaging India and offer food critique....

Forgive me: what spices were these before India? Thanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nettles and parsley. Very nice in soup, served after a mug of hot water with a splash of milk in it.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Actually, parsely is Mediterranean. The Protestant Reformation brought the advent of "plain and rubust" food which became the staple of the island.
There is a reason the chief place to find British food in other countries also involves getting ripped off your tits.
British food is comfort food, but it is not fine dining.
And, the reason Mexican food in the UK is sub-par isn't the fault of Mexicans.
Note for Americans: much of the Mexican food found in the UK is a an amalgam of Taco Bell and Chipoltle as interpreted by Lunch Lady Doris

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mexican food in London has had Cafe Pacifico since 1976, long before Taco Bell arrived. That has been more recently joined by the Wahaca chain.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the point is that the vast majority of 'Mexican food' in the UK comes out of the same mindset as Taco Bell. Basically, take something we'll call a 'taco' (that has some similarities to, but a long way from identical to, what you will get in Mexico) serve it with something very spicy and a bit of mashed avocado on the side ... and that's 'Mexican food'. Naturally, all prepared and served by people who have probably never been to Mexico, and if they had they didn't get beyond the beach at Cancun.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Exactly Alan.

It is telling that Oaxaca had to be respelt to Wahaca.
But this is a common phenomenon in many countries. Not until a significant number of immigrants arrive do the foods begin to resemble their origin.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Nettles and parsley.

Surely those are herbs rather than spices? There are lots of herbs that would have been used in British cooking for millenia before we started importing from the Mediterranean, India and beyond. Thyme, mustard, chives, mint, rosemary all have wild British varieties and cultivated varieties that have been used in some cases since at least the Bronze Age. Others like nettles, heather, blackcurrent leaves are now rarely used. British spices are much fewer in number. Horseradish and juniper berries being the ones most commonly still used.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, to return to the OP (remember that?) it looks like the end of the road for Clarkson and his show, at the BBC at any rate.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Right decision. Though, if the the article is correct, Clarkson will not feel the sting of the door on his arse as Lord Hall's lips will still be attached.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like another BBC cock-up then, since so far no one from the Beeb has interviewed Mr Clarkson.

Kangaroo Court, anyone?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we actually know that the Beeb have not interviewed Clarkson, and done whatever else is necessary to take representations from him as part of the disciplinary process? It seems inconceivable thaat they wouldn't: it would seem to be pretty basic HR practice and if they don't follow due process they are lining themselves up for litigation.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, Clarkson actually reported himself to the BBC in the first instance, so they have certainly had input from him.

There seems to be very little bottom-line thinking about this. Whoever he is, and whatever he has or hasn't done in the past, he 'spent 20 minutes verbally abusing' a colleague 'before launching a 30 second physical assault on him'. How could any organisation not fire an employee for doing this once the facts had been established and verified?

And a 30 second physical assault is more than a punch - which would have been too much anyway.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bit about the '30 second physical assault' has been denied by the producer in question.

There has been no denial that there was no hot food available to the crew on location on a day when average temperatures struggled to get above freezing. The BBC has also not denied that there was no hot food available at the hotel, nor that the time when such food was available at the hotel would never have fallen within the requirements of the programme makers, nor that the hotel is in a part of the dales where there is no alternative available.

Whatever the rights and wrongs - and I don't condone violence - the BBC production team screwed-up badly on this one.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't go round thumping people just because they get on your nerves. End of. Obviously, I am not privy to the disciplinary processes of the Beeb but I cannot imagine that they decided to give the bloke who, hitherto, constituted a right to print money for them, the old heave-ho without checking with m'learned friends whether or not this would end up before the beak or not.

If Clarkson has gone it's because his position was untenable.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The bit about the '30 second physical assault' has been denied by the producer in question.

There has been no denial that there was no hot food available to the crew on location on a day when average temperatures struggled to get above freezing. The BBC has also not denied that there was no hot food available at the hotel, nor that the time when such food was available at the hotel would never have fallen within the requirements of the programme makers, nor that the hotel is in a part of the dales where there is no alternative available.

Whatever the rights and wrongs - and I don't condone violence - the BBC production team screwed-up badly on this one.

Yet, somehow, you are ...

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Utterly irrelevant. I don't care if Clarkson found he had a bag of crisps and a packet of bourbons, he had no fucking excuse for violence. Personally I'd have pressed charges with the police. Anyone who ever assaults me will find that I will press charges because I WILL NOT let anyone ever assault me.

[ 25. March 2015, 12:23: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I accept that if he really did hit Mr. Tymon then he has to go, but I'll be very sad to see the end of the show in its present form.

Replacing JC but keeping the other two would IMHO be better than nothing, but the chemistry would still be lost. If you replace one element in a chemical compound with a different one, it's not the same compound.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the BBC, discussions are taking place with Chris Evans about him taking over the role. This may be wishful thinking on the part of the BBC, though, because he has apparently previously ruled himself out. Personally I think that he is one of very few people who would be able to do it well in his own right.

I think that Boogie made that suggestion here right at the beginning of recent events.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] Eeeeeeeeek I won't be watching it if they do.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who's always thought Top Gear one of the most boring pieces of shite on the box?

Evidently.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:

I think that Boogie made that suggestion here right at the beginning of recent events.

Boogie the prophet [Biased]

The BBC has just announced that they won't be renewing JCs contract.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus Christ's?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

They way some people talk you'd think they were the fucking same.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of the monumental tosser. May he fall down a fucking hole.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Jesus Christ's?

The BBC cancelled his contract years ago [Biased]

I'll miss watching Clarkson on Top Gear, but it's absolutely the right decision.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Utterly irrelevant. I don't care if Clarkson found he had a bag of crisps and a packet of bourbons, he had no fucking excuse for violence. Personally I'd have pressed charges with the police. Anyone who ever assaults me will find that I will press charges because I WILL NOT let anyone ever assault me.
The Guardian has a summary of the report's findings:

quote:
... Tymon was "subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack” by Clarkson during which he was “struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip”.

The attack “lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness” and Tymon “offered no retaliation”.

It said Tymon was “shocked and distressed by the incident” and “drove to a nearby A&E department for examination”.

It said Clarkson verbally abused Tymon “on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him.

“The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom.”

I look forward to L'Organist justifying that.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I will miss seeing them; it had to be done of course. Maybe on another channel.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looks like another BBC cock-up then, since so far no one from the Beeb has interviewed Mr Clarkson.

Kangaroo Court, anyone?

The allegations amount to actions of Gross Misconduct which under employment law permit immediate suspension pending investigation.

The relevant investigation has been undertaken and a decision made on the balance of the evidence. Opportunity for submissions on both sides will have been given, as legal advice will have been sought.

The first gripe I have with the BBC is why they persisted with this individual for so long given other incidents which, for any normal employee, would have meant dismissal many months ago.

Then I wonder why it's taken so long/cost so much to get this done. In many workplaces it would be done and dusted in a few days.

The real question with the BBC is why it allows its employees to become caricatures of themselves and fails to recognise the power of example of bad behaviour. The one million plus signatories to the petition to reinstate him simply demonstrates how far we have to go in eliminating blokey violence from British culture.

Oh - and don't give him a reference either.

In case, L'Organist, you feel the response is disproportionate try being aggressive with one of your choir members and see where it gets you. The words brown envelope and P45 are coming to mind ...

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, I will miss seeing them; it had to be done of course. Maybe on another channel.

In the English Channel perhaps?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

Having discovered that - IMO surprisingly - Clarkson is anti-UKIP and pro-EU, might I suggest that he be pushed into "La Manche" instead?

[ 25. March 2015, 14:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Exclamation Mark
Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of acting like that towards any member of my choir - not even towards some clergy who behave boorishly either.

I'm not an avid Clarkson fan - in fact if I was asked to list them, Top Gear would appear in my personal top ten of most disliked TV shows; but neither am I an fan of this sort of 3 ring circus with the BBC relying on other media outlets and leaks to make its case and the protracted way of dealing with it all.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

Well, I am nicking this as a possible stunt for them, going across the Channel in floating Minis, or even better, Robin Reliants. Not sure how much dosh is in it for me, but it's perfect for TG.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
.. the BBC relying on other media outlets and leaks to make its case and the protracted way of dealing with it all.

Might you possibly care to elaborate on that load of bollocks?
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am I the only one who's always thought Top Gear one of the most boring pieces of shite on the box?

Evidently.

No, you're not. I agree wholeheartedly. On the other hand lots of people would find, say, the Concilliarist movement in late medieval Europe, Karl Popper and the latest series of Hannibal profoundly uninteresting. Or for that matter evolutionary biology, science fiction and dungeons and dragons. The fact that you or I think that a given thing is uninteresting is no more a definitive repudiation of its value than the discovery that Messrs X, Y and Z think that what you and I find interesting is a bit dull means that we are missing the point. Different people are interested in different things. It's not wrong for the beeb to put on stuff just because you and I, personally, would rather watch paint dry if a load of other people think it's shiny and exciting.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:

Evidently.

No, you're not. I agree wholeheartedly. On the other hand lots of people would find, say, the Concilliarist movement in late medieval Europe, Karl Popper and the latest series of Hannibal profoundly uninteresting. Or for that matter evolutionary biology, science fiction and dungeons and dragons. The fact that you or I think that a given thing is uninteresting is no more a definitive repudiation of its value than the discovery that Messrs X, Y and Z think that what you and I find interesting is a bit dull means that we are missing the point. Different people are interested in different things. It's not wrong for the beeb to put on stuff just because you and I, personally, would rather watch paint dry if a load of other people think it's shiny and exciting.
Wasn't suggesting they shouldn't. Merely that the universal "it's such a wonderful programme, shame to lose it" stuff isn't, well, universally held. I'm getting more than a little tired of this tiresome little bully being described as a "national treasure". Is he fuck, and I feel similarly about "his" programme - whilst not feeling any need to be reasonable in Hell. For my part, whilst the BBC is very good at putting on boring shite, it'll be quite a challenge for them to replace TG with something worse. IMV, that is.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

I wonder if he will be charged with assault?

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
neither am I an fan of this sort of 3 ring circus with the BBC relying on other media outlets and leaks to make its case and the protracted way of dealing with it all.

The BBC has, quite properly, made little comment on the substance of the case (since it shouldn't be seen as prejudging the investigation). It has no power to prevent other media outlets from doing what they like. The BBC published its statement on its website with a link to the report. (The Guardian story was up within 10 minutes.) AFAICT, the BBC allowed a couple of hours before it started treating the outcome as a news story.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I used to watch Top Gear and found it mildly amusing.
But how one feels about the show should be irrelevant.
Would we have the massive letters of support if the person in question had been Piers Morgan?
Would we have the justification of verbal and physical assault if a different fat man missed a meal?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I wonder if he will be charged with assault?

It's possible. The police are looking at the evidence. But what astonished me today was the length of time the verbal assault went on. That nobody belted Clarkson is remarkable. And creditable, I suppose. I'd have kicked the arsehole. I think.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

He also carried on the verbal assault after the physical assault, so it wasn't a case of lashing out and then being horrified or remorseful.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016