homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson. (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I wonder if he will be charged with assault?

It's possible. The police are looking at the evidence. But what astonished me today was the length of time the verbal assault went on. That nobody belted Clarkson is remarkable. And creditable, I suppose. I'd have kicked the arsehole. I think.
Clarkson is 6'5" and solid with it. He has traded on that for years but now his physical intimidation will get him nothing.

Where's Courtney Lawes when you need him?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Exclamation Mark
Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of acting like that towards any member of my choir - not even towards some clergy who behave boorishly either.

I'm not an avid Clarkson fan - in fact if I was asked to list them, Top Gear would appear in my personal top ten of most disliked TV shows; but neither am I an fan of this sort of 3 ring circus with the BBC relying on other media outlets and leaks to make its case and the protracted way of dealing with it all.

You've spent most of the thread telling everyone that Clarkson was somehow justified losing his temper because they were in the arse end of nowhere with no hot food at the end of a long day. FFS

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Exclamation Mark
Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of acting like that towards any member of my choir

What if a member of your choir behaved that way towards you though? Would you be happy for that person to remain a member?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any job I've had, if I bloodied someone's face without being physically attacked by them or without defending someone else being physically attacked, I'd be out on my ass. Period. And properly.

Is it different in the UK?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

Though, apparently if you're a celebrity and some people find you entertaining some people think there should be exceptions.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
You've spent most of the thread telling everyone that Clarkson was somehow justified losing his temper because they were in the arse end of nowhere with no hot food at the end of a long day.

Being in the arse end of nowhere at the end of a long day, and discovering that the person whose job it is to sort out a decent meal has failed to do so is a reasonable excuse for losing your temper. One shouldn't, of course, but it's understandable. It's certainly grounds for replacing the responsible party with someone more competent.

It's not grounds for punching him.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
You've spent most of the thread telling everyone that Clarkson was somehow justified losing his temper because they were in the arse end of nowhere with no hot food at the end of a long day.

Being in the arse end of nowhere at the end of a long day, and discovering that the person whose job it is to sort out a decent meal has failed to do so is a reasonable excuse for losing your temper. One shouldn't, of course, but it's understandable.
No, no it actually isn't. It is understandable to be upset, but not lose temper. Unless you think being an over-indulged rich bugger gives one licence that no one else is allowed.
Don't know what you do, but think of the same thing in your world. Would a tantrum such as that, even minus the violence, be acceptable?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially as they'd worked together for 10 years, the TG lads and the producer! Good riddance, I say.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's certainly grounds for replacing the responsible party with someone more competent.

It is interesting the contrast between wanting someone sacked for a single instance of failing to produce a hot meal compared with the idea that someone shouldn't necessarily be sacked for losing one's temper and being verbally and physically aggressive.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's certainly grounds for replacing the responsible party with someone more competent.

Your standard is that you'd replace someone with 10 years service for one error?

I'm certainly not coming to work for you any time soon.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Your standard is that you'd replace someone with 10 years service for one error?

I'm certainly not coming to work for you any time soon.

It seems that Clarkson's sense of entitlement and arrogance is so powerful that it extends outside his own mind and into others'

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Being in the arse end of nowhere at the end of a long day, and discovering that the person whose job it is to sort out a decent meal has failed to do so is a reasonable excuse for losing your temper. One shouldn't, of course, but it's understandable. It's certainly grounds for replacing the responsible party with someone more competent.

It's not grounds for punching him.

Is it fuck reason to lose temper. You make do, like people have to do day in and day out when things don't go their way. It's life, deal with it. Problem is that people start thinking they're too important to have to cope with things going wrong.

Besides which, it was Clarkson's own bloody fault for insisting on spending hours in a pub in Essex getting pissed instead of getting to the hotel whilst the chef was still working. He was the author of his own misfortune, but unfortunately he's the sort of twat who thinks that everyone else should put themselves out for him.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
You make do, like people have to do day in and day out when things don't go their way. It's life, deal with it.

Yeah, when our usual Thursday research group meeting (usually finishes around 9pm, allowing me to get 9.30 train and home for 10pm - at which point it's usually a Pot Noodle for dinner) over-runs and I miss the train with the next at gone 11pm I go to the convenience store at the station and find out what they have left. The same as anyone else who finds themselves delayed by over-running meetings at work, get whatever is available.

quote:
Besides which, it was Clarkson's own bloody fault for insisting on spending hours in a pub in Essex getting pissed instead of getting to the hotel whilst the chef was still working.
Or, at least pointing out to his driver "It's getting late, pull off the motorway and find us a pub where I can get a pie and chips". There wouldn't have been any lack of places to eat between Essex and Yorkshire.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Tubbs
quote:
You've spent most of the thread telling everyone that Clarkson was somehow justified losing his temper because they were in the arse end of nowhere with no hot food at the end of a long day. FFS
At no time have I said violence was justified.

I have said that losing one's temper in such circumstances would be justifiable and I still consider that to be true. But I do not consider violence and abuse justifiable.

FFS indeed: Auntie managed to 'organise' going somewhere where they must have known that hot food finished at 8.30pm, where there is no room service, and the only drinks available would either be from the bar or by using the tea/coffee facilities in the room (and we all know how comprehensive those are in a 2 star hotel). This on a day when temperatures were below freezing. Part of the contract for such shoots includes the availability of hot drinks during shooting and hot food at the end of it. The Beeb didn't even find a hotel capable of fulfilling the contract.

Sure, JC behaved grossly and boorishly and there is now sufficient evidence to show that the decision to sack him is correct, but that doesn't excuse or make acceptable the BBC breaking contractual obligations.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, maybe now the BBC can put something worthwhile into the slot vacated by TG.

How about re-showing Civilisation for a start and then something uplifting about, say, the subversiveness of Breughel and some of his fellows?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just on a point of order...

Having heard Alan Yentob interviewed by Eddie Mair on PM last night, Clarkson hasn't actually been sacked. They've announced that they're not going to renew his contract, which expires at the end of the month.

Between yesterday and then, he in fact remains a BBC employee (albeit suspended), in receipt of his salary (otherwise known as "hardworking licence-fee payers' money" (TM)).

Make of that what you will, but he hasn't actually lost his job over this, just a possible future job...

To be fair to Eddie Mair, he was quite incredulous about this.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair to a big company dealing with employment law and HR processes, sacking someone rather than letting them work out a 1 month contract would be a pretty poor return in terms of costs and liabilities for the license fee payer.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What infuriates me is the outcry that blames the BBC for the demise of Top Gear.
The only person in this whole fiasco who had any control over the future of Top Gear was the arrogant idiot who thought that the world revolves around him and used his position to intimidate a colleague, blaming him for a situation which would never have arisen if Clarkson had returned to the hotel for his meal at the time when he was supposed to.
The BBC had no choice. Dismissal was the only option.
I hope the police do take it further.
Appalled at the way that people are blaming the producer who was the victim of verbal and physical abuse!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

It was indeed a classic Mair moment.

"What do you have to do to get sacked at the BBC?"

The answer to which is ... we don't know, since Yentob bottled it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
posted by Tubbs
quote:

I have said that losing one's temper in such circumstances would be justifiable and I still consider that to be true. But I do not consider violence and abuse justifiable.

FFS indeed: Auntie managed to 'organise' going somewhere where they must have known that hot food finished at 8.30pm, where there is no room service, and the only drinks available would either be from the bar or by using the tea/coffee facilities in the room (and we all know how comprehensive those are in a 2 star hotel). This on a day when temperatures were below freezing. Part of the contract for such shoots includes the availability of hot drinks during shooting and hot food at the end of it. The Beeb didn't even find a hotel capable of fulfilling the contract.

Sure, JC behaved grossly and boorishly and there is now sufficient evidence to show that the decision to sack him is correct, but that doesn't excuse or make acceptable the BBC breaking contractual obligations.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Clarkson brought this on himself by insisting on spending the afternoon in a pub instead of getting back to the hotel. His own fault. He should have accepted that rather than throwing his toys out of the pram like a spoilt brat.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Part of the contract for such shoots includes the availability of hot drinks during shooting and hot food at the end of it. The Beeb didn't even find a hotel capable of fulfilling the contract.

Judging by the reports I've read, they found somewhere to serve hot food at the end of the day. On a day filming cars, outdoors where the reason for being there is the scenery, in winter it probably wasn't unreasonable to think that 4 or more hours between the end of filming and the last orders for hot food at the hotel would be sufficient for the film crew to pack away their gear and get back to the (local) hotel for a hot meal.

What the production team didn't count on was Clarkson deciding to go on a bender before setting off on a long journey and so turning up after 8.30. Presumably without letting the production team know his expected arrival time so that they could advise him to eat on the way, or arrange for the chef to stay on a bit longer to cook a hot meal.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hot food "at the end of shooting".
Seems to me, the BBC did provide hot food "at the end of shooting"
Clarkson chose not to turn up at the time at which it was being served.
His choice. His mistake. His problem to rectify.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Exclamation Mark
Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of acting like that towards any member of my choir - not even towards some clergy who behave boorishly either.

Glad to hear it .... but if you did lose the plot over a missed top C, you'd be out on your ear. Why allow Clarkson different standards just because its the BBC and he's a "celebrity/"

The BBC's response is typically craven: Clarkson should be dismissed not simply told you're a bad boy and we aren't playing with rude boys like you any more.

Top Gear "lads?" Please everyone - they're grown ups. Treat them like it and perhaps they will behave like it. One person's cheeky chappie is another's blokeish lout.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Tubbs
quote:

The sounds of frantic backtracking. What you’ve said throughout this thread is that Clarkson was justified in losing his temper with a member of BBC staff because hot food should have been provided at the end of the day. You even said it was an unselfish act because the crew hadn't been fed either and he was speaking up for them! And that he has been treated unfairly and the BBC is somehow culpable.

As more reports have come out about the incident, they show that wasn’t the case. Hot food was provided at a specific time, but Clarkson went to the pub instead and arrived after the kitchen was closed. He then had a drunken temper tantrum at a BBC producer for twenty minutes. The temper tantrum included racial abuse, the c-word, threats to get the man sacked and destroy his career as well as an assault. The only reason he stopped was that someone intervened. Some of the witnesses expressed surprise that someone hadn’t intervened earlier.

Essentially, drunk man throws loses his temper because he was late for his dinner. I’d respect you more if you just admitted that you were wrong.

Tubbs

[ 26. March 2015, 09:37: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Shipmate
# 76

The underlying assumption here appears to be that Clarkson's so important that the chef should have hung around, the team should have made him do so, everyone should have been put out to satisfy his whims.

He's not.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
It was indeed a classic Mair moment.

"What do you have to do to get sacked at the BBC?"

It's a good question. I wonder if part of the answer would be "have more than 1 month left on your contract" - a pragmatic position that I'd have sympathy with but probably wouldn't play any better than staying quiet.

[ 26. March 2015, 10:07: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many a time I've conducted pleas in mitigation in front of the magistrates on behalf of clients who were there because of some variation on the following set of facts: late evening, person gets drunk, loses temper with someone else, hits them. The magistrates would invariably take a dim view of this sort of behaviour and the defendants would more often than not find themselves going on a holiday as a guest of Brenda for a few weeks.

I see no reason on the set of facts which have now been published as to why Clarkson should be treated any differently.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I'm not sure from the reports I've read whether the chef was asked to hang on. It's not clear that the BBC staff knew he needed to hang on, just that Clarkson hadn't turned up yet. If he had been asked he'd have been within his rights to refuse a last minute change in his hours, or to make sure he was getting well paid for the inconvenience.

Or, maybe they expected the hotel manager to apologise for not being able to fix a salad because they're fresh out of waldorfs.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm not sure from the reports I've read whether the chef was asked to hang on. It's not clear that the BBC staff knew he needed to hang on, just that Clarkson hadn't turned up yet. If he had been asked he'd have been within his rights to refuse a last minute change in his hours, or to make sure he was getting well paid for the inconvenience.

Or, maybe they expected the hotel manager to apologise for not being able to fix a salad because they're fresh out of waldorfs.

Surely they should have driven to every takeaway in a 100 mile radius; ordered everything off the menu; driven it back to the hotel and then kept it warm because Clarkson is entitled to a hot dinner when he finally decides to turn up?! And a man of his importance should have some sort of choice ...! [Big Grin] [Biased] [Razz]

Tubbs

[ 26. March 2015, 10:22: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Many a time I've conducted pleas in mitigation in front of the magistrates on behalf of clients who were there because of some variation on the following set of facts: late evening, person gets drunk, loses temper with someone else, hits them. The magistrates would invariably take a dim view of this sort of behaviour and the defendants would more often than not find themselves going on a holiday as a guest of Brenda for a few weeks.

I see no reason on the set of facts which have now been published as to why Clarkson should be treated any differently.

It's funny, I was just talking with my wife about how familiar Clarkson's mid-life clusterfuck seems, (technical term), thus, death of mother, end of marriage, alcoholism, fighting, police caution.

I am curious how Clarkson goes forward, as sometimes these things are almost engineered as an escape route, if one can find one, that is. But I've had a ton of clients in the same clusterfuck, and sometimes they make it OK, and sometimes they don't.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:

Funnily enough, that episode has been in my mind as well.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

*engagement of reverse gear and change of direction duly noted*

Is "somewhere in England" in the home counties, and is your real name Sir Herbert Gussett? Or are you perhaps secretly shagging Mr Clarkson? Your determination to transfer responsibility for his sins to a third-party is intriguing. Enquiring minds need to know.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's no longer illegal to punch someone and spilt their lip then?

I would most certainly be sacked (in the very least, if not arrested for ABH) if I did that.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

It's no longer illegal to punch someone and spilt their lip then?

I would most certainly be sacked (in the very least, if not arrested for ABH) if I did that.

I don't really go to Guido for straight news reporting, but it is interesting this morning that he's reporting that a recently previous BBC Director General once bit an underling on the arm in a fit of rage. And that was *before* he made DG. I think the BBC really doesn't seem to function like normal businesses...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I think senior management of any large organisation don't face the same consequences for their actions as the vast majority of people in their employment.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

*engagement of reverse gear and change of direction duly noted*

Is "somewhere in England" in the home counties, and is your real name Sir Herbert Gussett? Or are you perhaps secretly shagging Mr Clarkson? Your determination to transfer responsibility for his sins to a third-party is intriguing. Enquiring minds need to know.

It's because someone's head would explode if they had to admit that they were wrong.

[ETA: Besides, whatever point Clarkson may have had, he lost it when he called the guy the c-word, racially abused him and punched him. For a not inconsderable length of time]

Tubbs

[ 26. March 2015, 13:21: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was before the war but still involved BBC and the way they bend over backwards to accomodate talent.

The story goes that a couple were found in flagrante in the green room off a studio. The decision went right to Sir John Reith who said they would have to go. It was pointed out that the show was the most popular on the radio at the time (maybe half a million) so he suggested that the man would be dismissed only to be told that the act was consensual and besides, he got more fanmail than anyone else.

Eventually it was decided to burn the table they were screwing on.

[ 26. March 2015, 11:55: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite sure that, if Mr Clarkson feels that the BBC broke its hot food contract, he can sue them. And recover a princely sum, such as the price differential between a salad and a fish'n'chips.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It was before the war but still involved BBC and the way they bend over backwards to accomodate talent.

The story goes that a couple were found in flagrante in the green room off a studio. The decision went right to Sir John Reith who said they would have to go. It was pointed out that the show was the most popular on the radio at the time (maybe half a million) so he suggested that the man would be dismissed only to be told that the act was consensual and besides, he got more fanmail than anyone else.

Eventually it was decided to burn the table they were screwing on.

Good story. Clearly it was not only Sir John who used to bend over backwards to acccommodate talent in those days.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was going to say he got more fanny than anyone else; then you have to deal with all the envy.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Credit where it's due
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good on him for that. Changes nothing else.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Besides which, it was Clarkson's own bloody fault for insisting on spending hours in a pub in Essex getting pissed instead of getting to the hotel whilst the chef was still working. He was the author of his own misfortune, but unfortunately he's the sort of twat who thinks that everyone else should put themselves out for him.

Quite. I've worked in a job where hot meals were included in my conditions (in a hotel).

Had I rocked up a couple of hours after the advertised mealtime expecting to be fed, I'm fairly sure I would have been told in no uncertain terms to fend for myself out of the fridge.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Credit where it's due

Looks like they'll still be doing Christmas cards.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Surely they should have driven to every takeaway in a 100 mile radius; ordered everything off the menu; driven it back to the hotel and then kept it warm because Clarkson is entitled to a hot dinner when he finally decides to turn up?! And a man of his importance should have some sort of choice ...! [Big Grin] [Biased] [Razz]

Tubbs

No need for that. Just always pack a bag with three or four different flavours of Pot Noodle. I'm sure the room had a kettle.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Tubbs
quote:

You must have an enormous hard-on of dislike for the Beeb.

As I understand it they were in a hotel that they've used regularly for a lot of the shoots they do. So presumably everyone knew the deal.

If the talent decides to get wankered for a couple of hours before hopping in the chopper back to the hotel, then if no-one's actually been tipped the wink, they should be smart enough to know it's bugger all for tea.

And even if you put the best possible gloss on it, and assume that the producer was told the presenters were knocking them back and that alternative arrangements would be needed, once you get beyond an exasperated shout of "Oh for fuck's sake you utterly useless cunt, I'm fucking starving. ARSEHOLES!" (allowing for alcohol and ten years' familiarity) you've more or less exhausted the acceptable limit of a tantrum. Not 20+ minutes of ranting, which takes quite some doing.

One is left with the conclusion that Mr Clarkson is dealing with "issues" to flip out like he did.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
... One is left with the conclusion that Mr Clarkson is dealing with "issues" to flip out like he did.

According to an article in the Telegraph, if he'd still been married to the former Mrs. Clarkson (who was also his agent) she'd have told him to catch himself on and the whole thing wouldn't have happened.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting aside Hellish bluster for a moment, it is obvious the guy has issues and I hope he calms down and finds a better direction.

Having said that I still can not help feel a little glee at his self induced train wreck. But having gone off the tracks more than once myself I do hope he walks more in his lighter self soon.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Putting aside Hellish bluster for a moment, it is obvious the guy has issues and I hope he calms down and finds a better direction.

Having said that I still can not help feel a little glee at his self induced train wreck. But having gone off the tracks more than once myself I do hope he walks more in his lighter self soon.

He sounds to me like a classic 50 something wreck, recent bereavement, marriage ended, drinking, job gone. Yeah, I hope he picks up.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Except that he's rolling in cash with a very marketable personal following, so not very typical in that respect.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016