homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson. (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Auntie Beeb finally growing a pair? Burn in Heck, Clarkson.
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
lilBuddha
Where do we start with the wrongness in the last post?

1. Frankie Boyle is funnier: are you referring to his 'joke' about Madeleine McCann and Jimmy Savile? or the one about Jordan's disabled son?

Boyle's live work is very different from his TV work. His stuff on the Scottish referendum was really well done. He's an excellent TV presenter and panelist, but his Channel 4 show was dreadful and I wouldn't see him live.

I've got no problem with Sue Perkins or Claire Balding as presenters. But part of the appeal of Top Gear was the fanboy element. All three presenters really love cars. Never got that from either Perkins or Balding. Philip Glenister is being touted as a potential replacement. He's done car programmes before IIRC and is a proper petrolhead. Could be interesting ...

In the same article, it appears that Clarkson has pulled out of presenting HIGNFY. Because he was worried about what Merton and Hislop would say to him. Chicken.

Tubbs

[ 12. April 2015, 21:04: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
lilBuddha
Where do we start with the wrongness in the last post?

1. Frankie Boyle is funnier: are you referring to his 'joke' about Madeleine McCann and Jimmy Savile? or the one about Jordan's disabled son?

Did you not notice the ellipsis?
quote:

2. I'd have thought the term nepotism particularly inappropriate, given its origin.

Nepotism - the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs. Words often outgrow their origins, nepotism has.
quote:

3. In any case, Ms Balding's partner left the BBC 2½ years ago.

Nepotism gets you in, it doesn't necessarily boot you the minute your patron departs. However, the nepotism in Ms. Balding's case would be her family.
quote:

In June 1995, she made her debut as a television presenter, introducing highlights of Royal Ascot.

Her family have a slight notoriety in the "Sport of Kings".
If you think this did not facilitate her introduction, I've a palace or two for sale you might be interested in.
One might well argue she earned her continuance, but the origin of her opportunity is not greatly in doubt. This is not a slam on her, it is quite common.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philip Glenister would get my vote. Not that I have one but he'd be a good choice.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
One might well argue she earned her continuance, but the origin of her opportunity is not greatly in doubt. This is not a slam on her, it is quite common.

Certainly is. Is there a member of the Redgrave/Richardson family for example, who didn't act? And Victoria Coren-Mitchell was unlikely to have found her way into the prominent journalism that led to her current stardom on TV without having been Alan's daughter to begin with.

But - as with Ms Balding - all these people fully justify their five-star rating, in their own intrinsic right.

But who will replace Clarkson? They should either junk the show, or re-format it completely. It's clear from the (in my view) incomprehensible show of support he received from the public when all this BS broke out that Top Gear was popular largely because of his controversial entertainment value. So what's the point of trying to persist with it, without him.

No show without Punch, as Granny used to say.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
but that Miss Perkins would fit with the BBC's politically-correct agenda.

Big assumption there Piglet. What evidence do you have that Sue Perkins - or Clare Balding - enjoy their success because they are gay rather than because they are good at being a presenter or commentator?
None whatsoever; what I meant was that the very fact of her sexuality would be a point in her favour. My intention was a dig at the BBC's apparent policy - not at Miss Perkins (although I have to admit I found her very irritating on The Great British Bake-off).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I meant was that the very fact of her sexuality would be a point in her favour. My intention was a dig at the BBC's apparent policy -

I can believe the BBC - as should any employer - tries to ensure that no one is disadvantaged because they are gay/black/asian/female etc- but that is different to claiming that any one is actually preferred on those grounds.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be surprised if more than five percent on the folk on screen for the BBC are gay.

The reason I mentioned Frankie Boyle, was the continuence of controversy.

As for fanboyness, Chris Evans would have been the obvious choice if he hadn't ruled himself out. Rowan Atkinson is a car fan, with an international following, but a thousand documentaries give me the impression he's quite difficult to work with.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went and looked at who the bookies are touting, and now I think Guy Martin. If you kept the two other presenters, Martin would do the sort of hardcore stunts Hammond did before his accident.

He's a fan less of cars than of speed. But I think that could work.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philip Glenister already does a really good car show on Channel 4, For the Love of Cars. He may still be contractually obliged to stay with them.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Course Guy Martin is genuinely working class, non-establishment, didn't go to public school etc - so he may not be in with a chance.

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I meant was that the very fact of her sexuality would be a point in her favour. My intention was a dig at the BBC's apparent policy

Of course, the white cis/hetero dude is so much considered the default that anyone who differs from that only got the job because of that difference. And not because they were actually good at the job.

I know you're being glib, but I see this shit all over and it pisses me off. Factual programmes in particular, from silly ones like Top Gear to hardhitting documentaries or current affairs programmes, are so overwhelmingly presented by white men that yes, it'd be nice to see a bit of variation in that.

Before someone jumps in to list exceptions, I've never said that every single factual programme is presented by a white dude, so that doesn't actually invalidate my argument. The fact is, they are dominant, particularly on the programmes with the largest budget. I'm just pointing this out because if anyone genuinely thinks that the BBC has a bias against hiring white men to be presenters, they must think that everyone else is so phenomenally stupid and useless that they're failing to get jobs in spite of the bias in their favour.

ETA: also public school / Oxbridge educated helps, of course.

[ 13. April 2015, 11:01: Message edited by: Liopleurodon ]

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
ETA: also public school / Oxbridge educated helps, of course.

When Lenny Henry guest-edited the Today programme he could, with a bit of shuffling around, find enough BME staff to run the show.

If I was inexplicably offered the job and called the whole production staff together, then asked everyone who was privately educated to leave, we'd be looking at 3 hours of dead air.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a Neil Gaiman event for a reading of one of his books, and Lenny Henry was there performing one of the characters. When it came to questions, someone asked NG about being allowed to make canonical changes to Doctor Who. He said something like "I think the format works, so I'm not going to jump in and say that the next Doctor should be... a dog-"

At which point LH interrupted and said "Yeah, but they'll do that before they have a black guy though." The whole audience errupted into applause... because we all knew it was frustratingly true.

Actually this sums up the issue here quite nicely. A time-travelling alien who could take the form of any kind of human turns up as a long succession of white men, because "white man" is considered the default human setting. But as soon as the Doctor deviates from that, we'll get a huge shoutfest of THEY ONLY PICKED THAT ACTOR BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK. IT'S PC GONE MAD!

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can believe the BBC - as should any employer - tries to ensure that no one is disadvantaged because they are gay/black/asian/female etc- but that is different to claiming that any one is actually preferred on those grounds.

I'm not sure I would credit the BBC very much with trying that hard to ensure evenness of representation! Remember the famous sackings or removals to radio of those unsightly older women news readers a few years ago?

I'm guessing that unless Fiona Bruce keeps up the botox and wrinkle filler, she'll have a much shorter time on Antiques Road Show than wrinkly old Michael Aspel (who didn't even need to get rid of his eye-bags!).

What would the female equivalent of Clarkson have looked like; how would his wild hair, scraggy features, old jeans, crumpled shirt be allowed to translate to a woman of the same ilk? Would a woman be allowed to dress so negligently, without make-up or a 'proper' hair-do, and present a prestige programme? [Eek!]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on, Anselmina.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
What would the female equivalent of Clarkson have looked like; how would his wild hair, scraggy features, old jeans, crumpled shirt be allowed to translate to a woman of the same ilk? Would a woman be allowed to dress so negligently, without make-up or a 'proper' hair-do, and present a prestige programme? [Eek!]

Ever watch Two Fat Ladies?

Or there's Mary Beard, who got some terrible abuse on social media for not conforming to the expected norms.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
I was at a Neil Gaiman event for a reading of one of his books, and Lenny Henry was there performing one of the characters. When it came to questions, someone asked NG about being allowed to make canonical changes to Doctor Who. He said something like "I think the format works, so I'm not going to jump in and say that the next Doctor should be... a dog-"

At which point LH interrupted and said "Yeah, but they'll do that before they have a black guy though." The whole audience errupted into applause... because we all knew it was frustratingly true.

Actually this sums up the issue here quite nicely. A time-travelling alien who could take the form of any kind of human turns up as a long succession of white men, because "white man" is considered the default human setting. But as soon as the Doctor deviates from that, we'll get a huge shoutfest of THEY ONLY PICKED THAT ACTOR BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK. IT'S PC GONE MAD!

I can't be arsed to google, but there were rumours in the Who fandom that black actors had been considered for the role in the past. And at least one had been asked and they'd turned it down. They, sensibly, didn't want all the stuff that came with it. Let alone all the stuff that would come with being the first black Doctor. I can't blame them, but I was disappointed.

Hoping that Martha and Ricky aren't the first and last non-White companions too.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Philip Glenister would get my vote. Not that I have one but he'd be a good choice.

His big brother Robert would be good also.

In fact I'd go for Robert over Philip. I think people are imagining Gene Hunt in the Quattro, but Philip Glenister, unlike his character Hunt, (or Clarkson) is not a '70s throwback.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have been one of the ones imagining him in the Quattro; I didn't know about his Channel Four show, so had only thought of him as an actor.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Ever watch Two Fat Ladies?

Well, sure. Their schtick was that they were old and fat, and liked food...

quote:

Or there's Mary Beard

Professor Beard is about the only woman on TV I can think of who fits the "average-looking person who just throws on an old suit or whatever and shows up" mould from which many of the men are cast. More power to her, but she's about the only exception to the primped-and-glossy set.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
In fact I'd go for Robert over Philip. I think people are imagining Gene Hunt in the Quattro, but Philip Glenister, unlike his character Hunt, (or Clarkson) is not a '70s throwback.

I wasn't thinking that. I've seen him being his normal self, and he wasn't a lot like Gene Hunt, but I still think he'd fit the role pretty well.
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

Hoping that Martha and Ricky aren't the first and last non-White companions too.

Tubbs

K9 and Kamelion were both silver [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latest news from BBC website

For fucks sake, some people really need to get a sense of perspective [Disappointed]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You live by the watermelon, you're going to die by the watermelon.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I admit I don't think she'd be right for Top Gear, but that's no excuse to be abusive towards her.

I don't tweet (I'm not that tech-savvy with mobile phones), but it seems to me that maybe some of the people who do shouldn't.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the original story was from a bookmaker. Someone must have thought Perkins could do the job enough to put a lot of money on her. (Or a lot of people bet on her, which I think is less likely.)

I think she could be good in the role, though Jodie Kidd would be better.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's already established that the Clarkson-adoring demographic may be large, but it's not pretty.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Like the man himself then.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's already established that the Clarkson-adoring demographic may be large, but it's not pretty.

As far as I'm aware the Clarkson-hating demographic is also large and not pretty.

Some of us like some things he does, don't like other things he does and move on past when anyone suggests that he is the Devil incarnate or God incarnate.

[ 15. April 2015, 11:42: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
... Some of us like some things he does, don't like other things he does and move on past when anyone suggests that he is the Devil incarnate or God incarnate.

[Overused]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

As far as I'm aware the Clarkson-hating demographic is also large and not pretty.

Some of us like some things he does, don't like other things he does and move on past when anyone suggests that he is the Devil incarnate or God incarnate.

So, which prt do you like? The racism?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

And how many death threats has Clarkson received?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving on past.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Gregg Wallace would be an ideal replacement for Clarkson.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than demolish perfectly good caravans, he could do a cook-off with the limited facilities in them.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Gregg Wallace is probably the most irritating man on television in the entire decade. I used to enjoy watching Masterchef in the days when Michel Roux was on it, then Gregg Wallace crashed in and that was the end of that.

The sight of him on television has me galvanized into a sudden flurry of activity grabbing the remote control to get him off the screen as quickly as possible, something I usually only did for either Tom Baker or Tony Blair. Any other incredibly irritating and unlikeable candidates for the post of replacement to Clarkson?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, we're talking about a replacement for Clarkson. Surely " incredibly irritating and unlikeable " are essential characteristics.

The make-over of Masterchef was very similar to the re-vamp of Top Gear. Masterchef was a show primarily about food, albeit in a competition format, but was revamped to being entertainment - with the character of the presenters coming to the front, and the interaction between the contestants becoming important factors in the format.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
perfectly good caravans

No such thing.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The reason for bringing up Wallace was that 18 months before the Clarkson incident, he had been in a fight in a hotel where he hit someone five times, only admits to it after the story has come out in the press.

Clarkson, also in a hotel, hits someone once, and own up to it to his bosses before any news has got out. How can the sacking of Clarkson be fair if we still have Wallace on TV?

It seems that to have kept his job, Clarkson should have:
  1. Kept schtum.
  2. Hit his producer another four times.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

C. Not had a history of creating problems for the BBC with stupid stunts, poorly chosen language etc ...

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wallace didn't thump a producer, that's the big difference, isn't it? So it was basically a private quarrel, not happening during work. In fact, the BBC famously employed a murderer, but he didn't kill someone at work.

[ 19. April 2015, 08:27: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Wallace didn't thump a producer, that's the big difference, isn't it? So it was basically a private quarrel, not happening during work. In fact, the BBC famously employed a murderer, but he didn't kill someone at work.

The main difference appears to be that Wallace hit someone on his own time rather than the BBC's and doesn't have quite as much previous form as Clarkson.

The BBC took him off some programmes and limited his participation at live events afterwards so he wasn't entirely let off. (I don't mind Wallace as a presenter, but as a person not so much).

Which BBC employee was a murderer?

Tubbs

[ 21. April 2015, 12:39: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC will only broadcast unfunny wankers like Marcus Pigscock. That probably suits a lot of the smug gobshites who come on here just fine.
Posts: 205 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck off Trouty. You only ever come on to post how fucking superior you are to all the lefty thickos here.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tubbs:

Here.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Tubbs:

Here.

Of course! [Hot and Hormonal] I don't think of actors as "BBC employees" in the same way as I do presenters. Actors tend to go from job to job, but of course a soap is slightly different.

Thank you

Tubbs

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Different case regardless. Grantham paid his debt to society before appearing on the BBC. Slate clean (ish). The sex scandal is a different matter, though he did face minor discipline after.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or is the BBC's furious back-pedalling to say that Clarkson might work there again (and he wasn't fired with cause, just his contract wasn't removed) a sign that they've realised that without at least two of their stars and their Executive Producer, a huge money-maker for the BBC may prove to be worth orders of magnitude less, and are preparing for potentially having to re-hire Clarkson if that proves to be the case?

[ 24. April 2015, 03:12: Message edited by: MarsmanTJ ]

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just you.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Radio Times tells me that Clarkson is hosting Have I Got News For You tonight. However the website says he isn't; rumour has it he was scared of what Hislop and Merton would say.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016