homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I call all homophobes to Hell - especially Russ (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I call all homophobes to Hell - especially Russ
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
It seems to me that a cavalier dismissal of what other people want is a fundamentally flawed basis for anything claiming to be a moral argument.

I take a low view of one particular sort of want.

If a wife-beater wants wife-beating to be considered as normal and morally-OK and respectable, and someone who habitually picks his nose in public wants this behaviour to be seen as normal and morally-OK and respectable, and someone who likes pulling the wings off flies wants this activity to be seen as normal and morally-OK and respectable then I say (with thanks to Mandy Rice-Davies) "Well they would say that, wouldn't they".

And if that's cavalier, then pass me my ruff...

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
It seems to me that a cavalier dismissal of what other people want is a fundamentally flawed basis for anything claiming to be a moral argument.

If a wife-beater wants wife-beating to be considered as normal and morally-OK and respectable, and someone who habitually picks his nose in public wants this behaviour to be seen as normal and morally-OK and respectable, and someone who likes pulling the wings off flies wants this activity to be seen as normal and morally-OK and respectable then I say (with thanks to Mandy Rice-Davies) "Well they would say that, wouldn't they".

Harm, troll-boy, harm.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wife-beating, nose-picking, and torturing insects - wow, why not add bestiality and paedophilia? How much lower can the homophobes sink, into the moral pits?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It boils down to this. You are using my faith to cover your contempt for a particular part of the human race. I deny utterly your right to do that.

You can give me back my faith, and then fuck off to the furthest corner of creation, waving your naked and unmotivated hatred in all its whatever.

I'm not going to try and argue you out of your hatred. I'm simply going to deny implacably that it has anything to do with the incarnated, crucified and risen Lord.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can't argue people out of this terrible evil. It's a contamination which has got into their soul; maybe divine love could remove it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thirty-seven pages in, and he's still making reprehensible analogies between homosexuality and disgusting, immoral, and evil behaviors. I'm done trying to reason with you, Russ. You're a sick fuck, full stop. S.I.C.K. F.U.C.K.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wait, let me get this straight.

Homosexual people are fine, according to Russ, because they don't have a choice. It's bi-sexual people he has problems with, because they have a choice - and somehow it's that choice to form loving physical relationships with either primary gender that is potentially harmful. And THAT's the reason why ALL non-heterosexuals must be denied legal personal partnership rights and the accompanying social status. Which is the stupidest icing on his hateful shitty cake of reason so far - he just doesn't like homosexuality and thinks it's bad.

Yes, Russ, I know. You want to assert that you have a right to feel like you do. And you do. You can feel however you want about it. Just know that, after all these pages, we've heard all your assertions, and none of them include good reasons. Just bigotry. Everything you post on this thread boils down to a fundamental bigotry.

The hope of pluralism is that hateful shitty people like you are the minority. And it is my hope that your efforts here have helped demonstrate how thoughts like yours are indeed really just hateful and shitty. And if a person might have a choice to not be hateful and shitty, perhaps you have helped them recognize it and to instead choose a more civilized and loving position.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Steve Langton posted a spectacularly bad analogy a while back but yours is actually worse. I suppose some bizarre form of congratulations are in order.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

And what particular sort of want is that? What particular sort of want includes all of wife-beating, fly-pulling, and picking one's nose in public? They don't have anything much in common as regards their objects or the kind of desire they are. If you're arguing that what they have in common is that they're all morally wrong (and I think picking one's nose in public and wife-beating are not of the same order of moral magnitude), then you're treating your conclusion as a premise.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

And what particular sort of want is that? What particular sort of want includes all of wife-beating, fly-pulling, and picking one's nose in public?
They're all things that Russ doesn't like. And therefore all morality in the history and future of human interaction should be against them. Obviously.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Russ, I fixed it for you:
quote:
People who are "born straight" do not have the choice of homosexual fulfilment, and are therefore not guilty of choosing the morally less-good. A caring and faithful heterosexual relationship may be the best choice that they can make.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Essentially homosexual/lesbian relationships involve two key wants, want for love and want for orgasm. Note the order of those two things in that sentence is deliberate.

Essentially Russ seems to have an objection to getting your orgasm in some way that doesn't at least look like an act that could result in pregnancy.

I am unclear if he considers non-procreative sexual acts between opposite couples to be OK, if not foreplay is going to be a bugger (or not).

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But that for those who do have the choice of honouring their father and mother by forming a father-mother pair-bond, choosing a gay lifestyle instead is a morally-bad choice. ...

And you are free to believe and love and marry accordingly. You've been at this for 37 pages and you have still not presented any arguments for why the state should enforce your sexual preferences on other people.

And you keep bringing up these people who should choose to be straight, not gay. Why? Do you know many of these people? How do you know what is in their minds? Are you one of them? Are you stuck in a passionless, sexless marriage for social convenience? Do you tap your feet in airport bathrooms or take long walks in the park at night with your wedding ring in your pocket? Do you get get drunk to do your husbandly duties while fantasizing about the studly swim coach at the high school?

Because after 37 fucking pages, that's really the only reason I can think of for a) why you're persisting in being such an asshole to your fellow human beings who are doing you no harm whatsoever, and b) why you have no rational arguments whatsoever except shame about your own sexual obsessions, which apparently include sadism, wife beating, and having your balls nailed to a plank. I would oblige, but you would clearly enjoy it too much.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops. Left out nose-picking. Not a kink I was previously familiar with, but hey, there's a place for everyone on the internet.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
My favorite version of that is from Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra about Cleopatra's British nurse;
"Forgive her Caesar for she is a barbarian and thinks the customs of her tribe are the laws of nature"

I'm glad at least one person read my post. What a pity it wasn't Russ.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Yes, Russ, I know. You want to assert that you have a right to feel like you do.

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? [Razz]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey Big Sis, that REALLY is sadistic of you.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Harm, troll-boy, harm.
No, Russ doesn't care about whether something is harmful or not. That apparently doesn't have anything to do with whether something is moral or immoral.

Otherwise he wouldn't be advocating an approach that has been shown to cause unnecessary harm to children as being more moral than one that doesn't. If he starts looking at whether or not something causes harm then his whole argument falls apart (well, assuming he actually had an argument to make in the first place.)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
why you're persisting in being such an asshole to your fellow human beings who are doing you no harm

That doesn't need the 'you' in there. He's being an asshole to human beings who are doing no harm.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anybody else on this thread watching the third series of The Bridge? (Scandinavian detective drama; blonde Swedish detective with no interpersonal skills). There's a character on that who could be Russ.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Because after 37 fucking pages, that's really the only reason I can think of for a) why you're persisting in being such an asshole to your fellow human beings who are doing you no harm whatsoever, and b) why you have no rational arguments whatsoever except shame about your own sexual obsessions, which apparently include sadism, wife beating, and having your balls nailed to a plank.

On the other hand, they say everybody needs a hobby...
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Because after 37 fucking pages, that's really the only reason I can think of for a) why you're persisting in being such an asshole to your fellow human beings who are doing you no harm whatsoever, and b) why you have no rational arguments whatsoever except shame about your own sexual obsessions, which apparently include sadism, wife beating, and having your balls nailed to a plank.

...horse

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and, a deceased equine at that.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Russ--

It sounds like you have just one "ewww, ick!" setting--so domestic violence, torture of animals, public nose-picking, and homosexual behavior are all in the same box?

Do you really think they're all equally bad? All the same kind of bad???

People have said this all through the thread. IIRC, you've never given a plain-language answer.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:

A hobby!!!??? - the word monomania springs to mind.

If he weren't verbally persecuting others with his views I would think it was really sad that someone was so spiritually impoverished to spend so much energy denying other people their right to love.

As it is the description Sick Fuck seems more accurate.

Huia

[ 30. November 2015, 04:32: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The description is better described as "Sick Fuck who thinks that abusing bisexual children is fine and moral."
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Is anybody else on this thread watching the third series of The Bridge? (Scandinavian detective drama; blonde Swedish detective with no interpersonal skills). There's a character on that who could be Russ.

You give away plot points prior to the Australian broadcast, you die.
Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

That's the murderer's motivation in series four.

--------------------

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've argued that morality is about choices. People who are "born gay" do not have the choice of heterosexual fulfilment, and are therefore not guilty of choosing the morally less-good. A caring and faithful homosexual relationship may be the best choice that they can make.

But that for those who do have the choice of honouring their father and mother by forming a father-mother pair-bond, choosing a gay lifestyle instead is a morally-bad choice. (Whereas giving up that good for something higher such as a religious vocation or humanity-serving career may conceivably be a morally-good choice).

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. I would like to repeat that I do not see being in a relationship that can't lead to children as being a morally-bad choice. Even if the person in question could alternatively be in a relationship with a fertile, opposite sex partner. It's not about whether the person is gay (and so will only fall in love with someone of the same sex) or bi (and so could fall in love with someone of either sex). It doesn't matter. The same-sex relationship is not a morally-bad choice. A relationship which can't lead to children is not a morally-bad choise. Again, why should it be?

Also, I would like to ask why you have used those particular examples (wife-beating, nose-picking, etc) in your analogy? What similarities do you think they have with homosexuality which make the analogy useful? I can't see any.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
So that for the born-gay to try to promote their acts as an equally-good way of life is an incitement to morally bad choices if they neglect to add the rider "as long as you're sure you're a born-gay".

If only there were some kind of social code to reinforce the inferiority of homosexuals relative to their heterosexual superiors. Luckily there's just such a system lying around here in the dustbin of history! Just dust it off, change a few words around, and you're good to go.

quote:
A [homosexual] should not offer his hand (to shake hands) with an [opposite-sex heterosexual] because it implies being socially equal. Obviously, a [homosexual] should not offer his hand or any other part of his body to a [same-sex heterosexual], because he risks being accused of rape.

[Homosexuals] and [heterosexuals] are not supposed to eat together. If they do eat together, [heterosexuals] are to be served first, and some sort of partition will be placed between them.

Under no circumstance is a [homosexual] to offer to light the cigarette of a [same-sex heterosexual] -- that gesture implied intimacy.

[Homosexuals] are not allowed to show public affection toward one another in public, especially kissing, because it offends [heterosexuals].

Etiquette prescribes that [homosexuals] are introduced to [heterosexuals], never [heterosexuals] to [homosexuals]. For example: "Mr. Adams (the [heterosexual]), this is Steve (the [homosexual] person), that I spoke to you about."

[Heterosexuals] do not use courtesy titles of respect when referring to [homosexuals], for example, Mr., Mrs., Miss, Sir, or Ma'am. Instead, [homosexuals] are called by their first names. [Homosexuals] have to use courtesy titles when referring to [heterosexuals], and are not allowed to call them by their first names.

If a [homosexual] person rides in a car driven by a [heterosexual] person, the [homosexual] must sit in the back seat, or the back of a truck.

[Heterosexual] motorists have the right-of-way at all intersections.

That should keep everyone "in their place", so to speak. Of course, given the dangers of passing for straight, some kind of visible indicator or badge would be necessary to enforce this kind of Russ-optimized social structure. Luckily the dustbin of history comes through again!

quote:
If a wife-beater wants wife-beating to be considered as normal and morally-OK and respectable, . . .

But aren't you implicitly arguing that wife-beating is respectable, or at least more respectable than a non-physically abusive homosexual relationship? After all, abusive heterosexual couples can (and often do) produce children, which by your reasoning would seem to make them morally superior to any same-sex couple.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

That's the murderer's motivation in series four.
Put him up before an Aussie jury, and we'd all acquit. Justifiable homicide, if ever there was one.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Russ--

It sounds like you have just one "ewww, ick!" setting--so domestic violence, torture of animals, public nose-picking, and homosexual behavior are all in the same box?

Do you really think they're all equally bad? All the same kind of bad???

I'm mainly responding there to the suggestion that all gay people want is for their activities to he accepted. By pointing out that the existence of such a desire is both unsurprising and not in itself an argument that such acceptance would be a good thing.

And they're not at all equally bad or the same sort of bad.

Assaulting someone is clearly morally wrong; being married to someone doesn't make it OK to beat them up. Don't think there's much to debate there.

Pulling wings off flies is harder to categorise. Some people might say it's wrong only because it causes the fly pain. I've no idea whether a fly can feel pain. We don't usually think it wrong if someone just kills a fly. And I wouldn't have any moral issue with someone catching a fly and selling it.

If the science showed that flies don't feel pain, would that make wing-pulling OK ?

My sense is that it would not. That there's a wrongness in the action because it demeans and abuses the fly. To want to do that is a twisted desire.

Picking one's nose, on the other hand, is something that ISTM there's nothing intrinsically wrong with. The wrongness there is the wilful disregard for the sensibility of others who are likely to be disgusted by seeing me do it in public.

So I'm suggesting as a secondary point that when it comes to judging what behaviour we find good we use a wider range of criteria than just the sort of direct harm that would be involved in a man beating his wife.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm mainly responding there to the suggestion that all gay people want is for their activities to he accepted. By pointing out that the existence of such a desire is both unsurprising and not in itself an argument that such acceptance would be a good thing.

I think Dafyd's point is that IF you are taking a 'natural law' approach to morality, and you are considering an activity that many human being feel a strong desire to do, that is, they find that doing it is a source of deep fulfilment and enriches their lives, then that at least raises a presumption that they are acting according to the proper purposes of their human nature, not contrary to the natural law.

He is obviously NOT saying that this is the end of the discussion. Obviously there can be desires that are strongly felt, yet work against (what we might ultimately conclude is) our deepest fulfilment. The point is, that the exceptions need to be argued for. You can't just dismiss the fact of human longings, under a natural law approach. You need to explain why the people who feel that their purpose is best achieved by acting on that specific desire are mistaken about what true human satisfaction consists of.

The examples you give would not, I think, greatly trouble a natural law theorist. The man who thinks his best interests are served by violently controlling his partner really would be happier, more fulfilled, more human, if he lost whatever insecurity or rage currently makes him find violence so compelling, and sought a relationship in which he could be loved and respected rather than feared. Similarly, the person who tortures flies is taking the wrong sort of pleasure from the natural world - wrong in that its tendency is to make the person more spiteful and less open to the sort of experiences and relationships which human beings are so made as to find most satisfying. The public nose-picker is missing out on the sensitivity to other people's comfort that would allow him access to a fuller human experience.

But even though these are all easy cases, the burden is still on the natural law theorist to say why a felt desire should not be followed. If he or she can't find something to say against it, it must at least presumptively be allowed to stand as a potential good. Natural law theory can't justify the frustration of desire to no good purpose.

You have yet to set out any good argument why you want to frustrate the natural desire of gay people to practice, celebrate, and be accepted in, their loving relationships. Pointing out, as if in rebuttal of Dafyd's point, that there are other 'natural desires' that we don't endorse is true, but stupid. We can all see why we make exceptions for those other desires - usually because they hurt people, and (on a natural law view) hurting people frustrates the truest fulfilment both of those being hurt and those doing the hurting. Whereas loving relationships are not usually considered contrary to human fulfilment but (for most of us) an important part of it.

It is your unreasoning (and uncaring) dismissal of other people's longing that is objected to - both as unfeeling and callous in and of itself, and as inconsistent with the natural law approach which is the basis of such feeble arguments as you have tried to advance.

[ 14. December 2015, 00:06: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what's a mom to do when she wears a tattoo of her kid, and the kid comes out as transgendered?

"Mom Alters Tattoo to Support Transgender Son’s True Identity" (Yahoo).

The story also has a link to the original story from the Calgary Global News. Follow it. The two stories have different bits of info.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oops. Left out nose-picking. Not a kink I was previously familiar with, but hey, there's a place for everyone on the internet.

I had a friend who was a slave to a guy in a consensual S/M relationship. She said he was really kinky, which she liked but he had this really gross habit of picking his nose and covering his bed sheets with the boogers.

So! There you have it, a booger kink of the most disgusting order! And these two humans considered themselves Christian AND Pagan... the mind reels...
[Projectile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To read that in combination with your sig is particularly classy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
To read that in combination with your sig is particularly classy. [Big Grin]

Hey, you know, I try. I'm the nun that none of you want! [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
You need to explain why the people who feel that their purpose is best achieved by acting on that specific desire are mistaken about what true human satisfaction consists of.

I'vs suggested that "true human satisfaction" involves forming a mother-father pair and having children to carry on the family. So that anyone for whom this is an option is mistaken in acting on any temporary homosexual urges they may experience.

quote:
the person who tortures flies is taking the wrong sort of pleasure from the natural world - wrong in that its tendency is to make the person more spiteful and less open to the sort of experiences and relationships which human beings are so made as to find most satisfying.

I think you're mistaken on this one. I don't see a causal path from torturing flies to being spiteful and anti-social. It's not about relationships with other people; it's about our relationship with the created order. I think what's wrong with torturing flies is (loosely speaking) using part of creation for a lower purpose than it was made for.

quote:
The public nose-picker is missing out on the sensitivity to other people's comfort that would allow him access to a fuller human experience.

And the gay people who kiss each other in public are missing out on the sensitivity to other people's discomfort that would...

quote:
You have yet to set out any good argument why you want to frustrate the natural desire of gay people to practice, celebrate, and be accepted in, their loving relationships.

I tend to agree with the general approach that you're putting forward here - that satisfying one's own desires is a good thing unless there is a reason to the contrary. And that reason is usually about a harm or hurt or negative impact on other people (in which case other people have a legitimate interest in saying "don't do it"). But can be about a negative impact on oneself (in which case we more often tolerate the behaviour).

I've agreed that gay people should be allowed to "practice" in private - that this may be the most fulfilling outcome for them. And don't have a problem with "celebrate" in private and talking accepting words to each other in private for the same reasons - that what one does in private has no negative impact on other people.

I've suggested four negative impacts that should be avoided:

- a negative impact on people in future generations if research into cure or prevention of homosexuality is impeded

- a negative impact on vulnerable young people capable of parenthood if they are led into trying to satisfy any passing or temporary homosexual feelings they may have

- a negative impact on those who feel disgust at homosexuality

- a negative impact on those for whom marriage is a sacrament if they are legally compelled to recognise as a marriage something that isn't.

You may think that these impacts are relatively small matters. But that's matter of degree rather than a matter of principle.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are so not worth the effort of a reasoned or clever response, troll boy.
If you have children, I hope you spare them the discomfort of being associated with you by not acknowledging the relationship in public.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
You need to explain why the people who feel that their purpose is best achieved by acting on that specific desire are mistaken about what true human satisfaction consists of.

I'vs suggested that "true human satisfaction" involves forming a mother-father pair and having children to carry on the family. So that anyone for whom this is an option is mistaken in acting on any temporary homosexual urges they may experience.
Having children is a major human good. It is not a necessary human good. Not all human goods, not even all major human goods, are capable of being combined in a single lifetime. And indeed there are many human goods which not all of us are capable - there's no doubt that artistic achievements or scientific discoveries are major human goods, but few people are capable of them.

Therefore, it would not follow from the fact that homosexuals do not have children that their lives do not involve 'true human satisfaction'.
Unless you want to say the same about the Pope, the Dalai Lama, Isaac Newton, etc etc.

Of course, some homosexuals do have children. Now it is true that they do not have children who are the biological children of both them and their partner.
However, any conceivable human society requires at least some people to raise children who are not their own biological children. Any conceivable human society will have some orphans. Now orphans are more likely to find fostering or adoption in a society that regards biological parenthood as being equally good as adoptive parenthood or other non-biological parenthood. Since the society requires that, it follows that it cannot be a natural law good to regard biological parenthood as overall superior. (One may of course regard it as superior in some respects and inferior in others.)

quote:
The problem is that these are all only negative effects if you already think homosexuality is a bad thing. Since you're using the claim that they're negative effects to argue that homosexuality is a bad thing, your argument is circular.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'vs suggested that "true human satisfaction" involves forming a mother-father pair and having children to carry on the family.

Are you further suggesting that no other human satisfactions are true? In a world suffering from overpopulation of upright arrogant monkeys, I suggest that your definition is short-sighted and among the many primitive urges that perhaps it would be best for some people to resist.

quote:

- homosexuality is icky

- homosexuality is icky

- a negative impact on those who feel disgust at homosexuality

- homosexuality is icky

I have problems with your counting. Not to mention their fundamental basis about why they should be avoided.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I'vs suggested that "true human satisfaction" involves forming a mother-father pair and having children to carry on the family.
Hogwash! Hogwash! Hogwash!

From an evolutionary standpoint, every development that has occurred in the species has furthered COMMUNITY existence. In fact, I would argue that the healthy basis of religion-- whether you think a higher power is involved, or merely a synthesis of psychological functions-- is to facilitate that preservation and enhancement of that evolutionary track.

Maybe you have to live in a big fracking city that dot-com built (read: the entire San Francisco Peninsula and certain parts south) to observe that people focusing on 2-parent pairs and their kids results in a whole lot of isolated nuclear family groups competing each other into extinction. The fact of the matter is, that model of the nuclear family unit against the world, if you picture a human evolutionary clock, has only existed for a fraction of a second, and even the we clearly see it is struggling to exist. The health family, throughout time, has been a healthy extended family, because the parent unit simply does not have the energy to do it all on their own. And for most of history, NOBODY EXPECTED THEM TO.

This is why throughout time people were allowed to be "bachelor uncles" and "spinster aunts" and if anything else was going on, everyone turned a blind eye. Because they belonged, and they were a component of a strong extended family network.

True human satisfaction comes from forming close connections, from being significant and useful to others, and from a sense of belonging--- somewhere. By insisting that those connections all look the same, we actually force evolution to work backwards.

Insisting Hetero marriage is the be-all end-all is just as efficient a way to plunge the majority of society into misery as is insisting that all sex must be catastrophically ecstatic, and the common factor in both of those declarations is entire industries are built on the misery they inflict. And both ideas are equally grounded in reality- meaning, not.

Christianity certainly does not teach that marriage is the only way to spiritual contentment. What religion does?

[ 20. December 2015, 19:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Russ, your own religion teaches otherwise. Paul says that, while it "is better to marry than burn", the best state is celebacy, does he not?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This is why throughout time people were allowed to be "bachelor uncles" and "spinster aunts" and if anything else was going on, everyone turned a blind eye. Because they belonged, and they were a component of a strong extended family network.
Actually this would be the Western Civ narrative, because some societies-- Native American, for instance-- have found overt ways to assimilate and make the most of people of alternate gender and sexual identity.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Oh, it's Advent 4, I've got a cold and a really busy week, why do you have to make me so cross? We were here just 30 short pages ago.

I am a human being who has never married and will never have children. On what basis do you dare to declare that I cannot achieve 'true human satisfaction?' And if you do have an answer, maybe you could check it before posting. If you find that you have had to wind yourself in knots in order not to offend the bad tempered straight lady whilst still denying that LGBTI people can experience 'true human satisfaction', then what you have there is a bad answer.

Try to find a better one. In amongst the last 37 pages you will find not just cross reactive messages from me, alongside your own postings. There are also considered, thoughtful responses from people whose experiences of life and love and faith you seem determined to disparaged and insult. Read them. Consider , as the Ship reminds us, the source. Reflect on how it might feel for them to read your posts. Does that change your answer at all?

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

[Overused] Anne

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes.

And I seem to recall that the generally accepted view is that God made manifest among us didn't bother to understand true human satisfaction, either.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Russ. I'm a hetrosexual, cisgendered male who will probably never marry or have children because I have very serious ethical qualms about all that. As in, I'm not completely sure it's moral for me to pursue a form of life you see as The Highest Thing Possible. So what do you make of me? Should we pursue a cure for my moral scruples? After all, they're keeping me from living up to my calling as a breeder and knocking up some chick.

Oh, and where on God's green earth are you finding all these heterosexuals with temporary homosexual urges? You seem to be oh-so-very-concerned about them, and intent on discouraging them from pursuing their "disordered" inclinations or experimentation, but why? Why are you so convinced there are vast legions of deluded hetro folk who just happen to play gay?

[ 21. December 2015, 04:38: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Are you further suggesting that no other human satisfactions are true?
It's the One Truly Satisfied Scotsman fallacy.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

[voice="Strother Martin"]
What we've got here is NOT a failure to communicate. Naw, what we've got here is a failure of a Human Being.
[/voice]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016