homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bibliophile evil little worm (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bibliophile evil little worm
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Any way, this is meant to be a thread about Bibliophile but I've found myself enjoying a tangential discussion with his more nuanced countrymen.

Despite the point of jbohn's original post being that bibliophile is not American?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Minnesotans are thoroughly awesome people and it was a great regret that it didn't make the list of destinations when I was in North America.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Minnesotans are thoroughly awesome people and it was a great regret that it didn't make the list of destinations when I was in North America.

We regret it, as well.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought he was saying that Bibliophile was not from Minnesota, not that he wasn't from the US.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and mistaken Bibliophile for a Tea Party style Republican American then I apologise.

Unreservedly.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he is a Common-or-garden British Tory-boy.

--------------------
arse

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Different spellings for the same kind of fool.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh. So why did I assume he was from the US?

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

I don't know why did you? Normally I don't discuss personal information about myself on forums like this and I have been amused by some of the wrong speculation that has been going on. However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Well there's a surprise. You are also about 19 and studying politics/theology at a redbrick university, right?

--------------------
arse

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know why did you? Normally I don't discuss personal information about myself on forums like this and I have been amused by some of the wrong speculation that has been going on. However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Ah, that must be why the old moron-meter exploded when it saw your posts. More evidence that most 'kippers are racist and thick as a hod full of bricks.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

And why did Americans assume he was a Brit? Because no one wishes to be responsible for producing him.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

Gosh gee whiz - I never met a real live, self confessed, practising and unrepentant Ukipper before. So you're not just a media hoax?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bibliophile posted:
I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

I can see it now with you in your armchair reading the Daily Mail and an Alf Garnett poster in the background.

quote:
lilBuddha
And why did Americans assume he was a Brit? Because no one wishes to be responsible for producing him.

[Overused]

In fairness the USA has Donald Trump, Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and so we should accept our fair share of muppets

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I apologise unreservedly to all US posters for assuming Bibli-oaf-fool was one of theirs.

I don't know what I can do to make amends.

Perhaps I should emigrate.

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In fairness the USA has Donald Trump, Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and so we should accept our fair share of muppets [/QB]

Don't forget Kermit.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Well there's a surprise. You are also about 19 and studying politics/theology at a redbrick university, right?
And a child of deano?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a terrible slur. At least deano has a sense of humour.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Minneapolis looks nice.

Will they give me a Green Card?

Having Deano a county or so away from here is bad enough. Sharing this island with Bibliophile is quite another level of Hell.

I'm sure Dante would have put him in the outermost layer or level of the Infernal regions.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Thinking oneself amusing is not the definition of a sense of humour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I apologise unreservedly to all US posters for assuming Bibli-oaf-fool was one of theirs.

I don't know what I can do to make amends.

Perhaps I should emigrate.

Haven't they suffered enough?
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He doesn't have to emigrate to the US.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

No no, be fair ( I know, fair to deano? why? I must be getting generous in my old age). I've known him once or twice to turn things into jokes against himself. Bibliophile would never do that.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No no, be fair ( I know, fair to deano? why? I must be getting generous in my old age). I've known him once or twice to turn things into jokes against himself. Bibliophile would never do that.
Moreover, deano generally posts offensively when he's pissed (check it: often after "stop tap" as we call it in Wales). Bibliophile OTOH is stone cold sober. Quite possibly not even old enough to drink legally, despite his protestations about voting UKIP.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Hadn't noticed that about deano. I do have a horrible feeling that I might, once or twice, enjoy an evening in the pub arguing with deano, if there were some other more congenial people around too. But never with bibliophile (or even over a McDonalds Happy Meal or whatever is appropriate for his age).
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

A dummy and digestive biscuits?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Farley's rusks, even.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Bibliophile takes after his mother.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

They have a different "feel" to their posts. Bibliophile makes me want to punch something. Deano makes me want to take a shower.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Farley's rusks, even.

The digestive biscuits were for you. Bibliotool doesn't seem to be able to handle anything solid yet.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

You are so thoughtful [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Styx thread about BPh's 8th commandment warning:

quote:
Politics I can discuss in a more dispassionate way when I want to.

Ah, so it's just that he never wants to.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
From the Styx thread about BPh's 8th commandment warning:

quote:
Politics I can discuss in a more dispassionate way when I want to.

Ah, so it's just that he never wants to.
How can one discuss politics when the commies suppress all reasonable debate?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching this discussion with interest. Partly because I found some of sheer poverty of Bibliophile arguments strangely hypnotic but also because of a strong dislike I have of the appalling confluence that is often made between anything vaguely left of centre and communism. Horrific oppression has been done by unfettered capitalism at home and western foreign policy abroad in the name of fighting the evil of communism.

I thought about posting about Martin Luther-King's sermon on communism. Well worth a read, especially when you consider the time he was writing in. He makes no apology for communism but rightly points out why it appeals to the poor and vulnerable.

Then I learned something today. I knew the quote and for me it is the most profound and important description of the human condition. It is, of course, the doctrine of original sin (however you view that spiritually and scriptually).
quote:
The line between good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through the middle of every human heart and through all human hearts.
What I didn't know, until today was who wrote it and moreover the context.

Writing whilst imprisoned by communists for political dissent, Solzhenistyn didn't write Communists are evil and therefore good must be on the side of those who oppose them, he penned those words.

Bibliophile, I think you should consider that. No one is denying the evils done by communism, it's simply that to leap to condemning anyone with the faintest connection is deeply flawed logic.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

John Calvin's Beard man, but we're not taking him here!

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:

You sent us Justin Bieber. You owe us.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that Bibliophile cares about the evils of Communism. I'm not convinced that he gives a fuck about the people who were killed in its name or in the name of any other ideologies. It's just a childish little game of "let's rile up those lefties by calling everything slightly related to Communism bad and everything else good". But it ends up saying a lot more about him than about us.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Arguing with Bibliophile brings to mind a quote of Ed Koch, late mayor of New York. He said, with feeling, that "I can explain it to you, but I cannot comprehend it for you".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

We sent you Celine Dion. We're more than square.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Both are crimes against good taste. But you just might be showing your age by differentiating them.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

You can take her back, too. Call me when you send us someone --- what's the word? --- good.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I don't think that Bibliophile cares about the evils of Communism. I'm not convinced that he gives a fuck about the people who were killed in its name or in the name of any other ideologies. It's just a childish little game of "let's rile up those lefties by calling everything slightly related to Communism bad and everything else good". But it ends up saying a lot more about him than about us.

There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.

Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.

You should have no problem linking to an example then.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Arguing with Bibliophile brings to mind a quote of Ed Koch, late mayor of New York. He said, with feeling, that "I can explain it to you, but I cannot comprehend it for you".

I never find your posts difficult to comprehend Sioni Sais. Often highly pompous yes, difficult to comprehend no.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bibliophile: There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.
Not from me.

quote:
Bibliophile: Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.
It depends which standards you want to set for yourself. "Someone said that Cameron is evil, so I can do the same with the left wing" isn't a particularly high one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.
It depends which standards you want to set for yourself. "Someone said that Cameron is evil, so I can do the same with the left wing" isn't a particularly high one.
Except that's not what I'm doing. I'm giving my honest opinions.
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

You should have no problem linking to an example then.
A couple of examples here

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00003330

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00014333

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Bibliophile: Except that's not what I'm doing. I'm giving my honest opinions.
And stupid ones at that. I guess that whether you're sincere or not about what you are saying here becomes a rhetorical question rather fast. Let me just say that I doubt it, and that playing childish games seems to be a more important motivator for you. What I can say is that I haven't seen evidence of any ability to analyse complex situations like the end of apartheid or Franco's regime, and also that I'm not convinced of your concern for the victims of various ideologies. The latter reason is why I called you here.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

I never find your posts difficult to comprehend Sioni Sais. Often highly pompous yes, difficult to comprehend no.
Do you know, I'm getting to like you. Admittedly, it's in the way that I like some small, yappy dogs who have the gift of boundless energy. The downside is much the same as they too piss and crap all over the place.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A couple of examples here

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00003330

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00014333

Did you actually mistake posters for posts? While I'll be delighted to read mr cheesy on the Protevangelium of James, or lb discussing the best way to cure hiccoughs, that has nothing to do with either of them allegedly labelling people fascists.

Whether you're a fascist, a crypto-fascist, or just someone who likes the machismo of tight uniforms and shiny leather jackboots, rest assured you're at the top of my list for first go with the rusty farm implements.

Do better.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

As it happens, I don't make a habit of calling people fascist. I think that describing IDS as a fascist is to misuse the term - there is quite a distance between being uncaring and slipping into fascism.

But I do honestly believe that Biblophile is a fascist. At very least he is an apologist for fascism, but I believe his fascination with the politics of the strong, of making apologies for those who protect their chosen "master races" whilst denigrating those labelled as unworthy is characteristic of fascists.

There is a dramatic difference between fascism and Marxism, in that fascism is in and of itself an ideology of the strong, seeking to retain and perpetuate their unearned plutocratic status. In contrast, Communism is an ideology of the mass and exploited workers, seeking to get what they deserve in a world which only wants to put them down.

Which is why fascism can never be apologised for, whereas Marxism has some noble ideals, albeit ones which are very rarely realised.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016