homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck Rigid Gender Role stereotyping parents and other people (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck Rigid Gender Role stereotyping parents and other people
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab, if that's the same child you mentioned in Heaven as planning your successor (should the need arise) I think she's brilliant.

(If it's another one - you obviously raise awesome kids).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

Yes, it's the same girl. When my kids came to see me after my op, my son came up to me and gave me the gentlest of hugs, saying "I love you Daddy, I missed you, are you OK?" and my daughter went straight to "Can I see the scar?".

I suppose that there is a legitimate parental role in encouraging my son to be more curious and analytical, and my daughter to be more considerate and sympathetic, but (1) to complement, not to replace, the ways in which they naturally think, and (2) to broaden their respective experiences, not to channel them into a narrower idea of what girls or boys 'ought' to be like.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
FWIW we got fed up with little old ladies (sorry, but it was mostly elderly women) who saw Eldest Son c 12 months in anything other than deepest blue and would say "What a lovely girl". That was it, off came his curls.

I would have left the curls.
Me too. What exactly were you worried about, Sioni?
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, the sexist crones are the problem, not the curls.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting article on kids' toys, and the blue vs. pink thing.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last link on this, promise.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm a) good at maps, and b)lousy at asking the way. The latter because I know I'm going to get a string of directions probably based on the names of pubs which are now boarded up or demolished, and an ability to estimate yards which I do not have, and in any case more than three and I can only hold three of a series in my head at a time.

Got the wrong ratio of white to grey matter, then.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016