homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Smartarse but More Besides (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Smartarse but More Besides
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
There's literally a whole board of people here who've come to the same conclusion as I have, based solely on what you've written here during your time on the Ship.

That may well be, but that's hardly surprising given that the vast majority of posters are liberal secular.
No, the majority of the posters are western Protestant Christians.
It's the same thing.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
the vast majority of posters are liberal secular.

It's the same thing.
You're an idiot.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
What's AO actually talking about?

A fear of kebab shops. I explained this earlier.
You're right; I do like the occasional Doner. Help! Help! I've been culturally imperialised!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some Western Protestant Christians:
WBC
The late Revd the Lord Bannside
St Helen's Bishopgate
LCMS

Secular liberals?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
WBC
St Helen's Bishopgate
LCMS

Secular liberals?

Exceptions to the rule, that's all, but nobody can deny that for the most part it is true.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite happy to be a secular liberal anyway. We tried the alternatives, as a country, and didn't like them very much.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:
quote:
the vast majority of posters are liberal secular.

It's the same thing.
You're an idiot.
So are you. Go away!
Shipmate
# 76

Plplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplplpl!

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'll add this to the quotes file.

[/QUOTE]You're an idiot. [/qb][/QUOTE]So are you. Go away! [/QB][/QUOTE]

C'mon, Ad Obscurantum, you can do better than that.

Sure, there's a distinctly western liberal tinge to the Ship ... perhaps that's got something to do with the fact that most posters come from Anglophone western countries such as the UK, USA, Canada, Australia (which is southern hemisphere but still western culturally) ...

If the Ship were based in the Balkans or Russia then obviously it would have a different flavour to the one it has now.

Like it or not, we are all living post-Enlightenment - for better or for worse we're going to have to get used to that.

Saying that all Western Protestants are secular liberals would be like saying that all Orthodox are phyletist xenophobes - or that those who aren't are the exception rather than the rule.

We can only represent or misrepresent you on what you post - and what you post tends towards the uber-conservative and the ultra-nationalistic ...

It's hardly surprising that you get called on it.

18th century Russia no longer exists - and even when it did there were nasty, yucky 'western' influences at court and even ... cue creepy music ... within the Church.

I can't say as I've noticed any particularly strong anti-Orthodox sentiment over here - either towards the peoples of the 'dispora' or to western converts to Orthodoxy - some bafflement perhaps, but certainly not hostility.

Nobody here is advocating that we welcome radical jihadism with open arms nor that we despise or throw out our cultural heritage. Heck, if you saw me on holiday you'd see me visiting old churches and cathedrals, historic Christian sites and so on far more than you'd see me wandering along a beach inflicting my non-photogenic physique on everyone ...

No-one's asking you not to proud of Finland nor asking you to abandon your Orthodox faith.

We are, however, asking you to stop acting like a twat.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Where on earth do you get "ultra" from?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remind us again which party of ultra-nationalists you regularly vote for?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a perception, Ad Orientem.

Read your own posts and you might begin to appreciate why I've picked up that impression.

Unless, of course, I've picked up that impression because I'm sorely mistaken and am a liberal secularist masquerading as a Christian and hell-bent in undermining any sense of national identity across Europe as a whole.

I might certainly drop the 'ultra' and simply say 'nationalist' but you do seem a bit full-on.

I don't have a problem with patriotism or people being proud of their country or their heritage. Far from it.

However, all that can cross a line over into jingoism and xenophobia.

Our respective mileages may vary as to the point when that line is crossed.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yet nobody calls him an economic migrant.

'Cause he gets a burn under a fluorescent light.

quote:
Originally posted by le vie en rouge
I maintain that the only proper thing to put on a piece of toast is Marmite.

This does not make one British; it makes one a masochist.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

C'mon la vie en rouge - you should know that marmalade is just as acceptable as Marmite on one's toast.

My German friends are wild about it. They used to stock up on marmalade whenever they visited.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yet nobody calls him an economic migrant.

'Cause he gets a burn under a fluorescent light.

quote:
Originally posted by le vie en rouge
I maintain that the only proper thing to put on a piece of toast is Marmite.

This does not make one British; it makes one a masochist.

Back in the days when most of the establishment had been through an unreformed Public School system, again, they were much the same thing.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Remind us again which party of ultra-nationalists you regularly vote for?

Nationalist, yes, but not ultra. Anyway, I won't be voting again as they have broken all their election promises.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
There's literally a whole board of people here who've come to the same conclusion as I have, based solely on what you've written here during your time on the Ship.

That may well be, but that's hardly surprising given that the vast majority of posters are liberal secular.
If the alternative is your reactionary religiousity it's no surprise that secular liberalism is on the up. On hearing you I bet more people turn to Satan than away from him.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Broken their election promises?

What were they? Deport all Muslims? Lock up all Freemasons? Brand all Protestants with hot irons?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I never said I hated anyone

Protestants, freemasons, 'self-hating liberals', Jews, Muslims living next door to you... apart from them, and the continual mentioning of a white, Christian Europe.

All perfectly reasonable. Nothing at all 'Aryan' about that...

(edited to add, Jews, because, you know)

I've never understood how Germany, etc., bought into the blonde, blue-eyed Aryan propaganda. The high caste in India is Aryan. It's the dark-haired, brown-eyed (?) Germans who are Aryan.

[ 23. September 2015, 17:41: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I've never understood how Germany, etc., bought into the blonde, blue-eyed Aryan propaganda. The high caste in India is Aryan. It's the dark-haired, brown-eyed (?) Germans who are Aryan.

Some potty 19thC theory that decided the Urheimat* was in Northern Europe, rather than somewhere around Iran. After all, if you can have the British descended from the Lost Tribes of Israel, why not?

There was - still is - a lot of national myth making to establish that We are superior to Them.

*source homeland

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
WBC
St Helen's Bishopgate
LCMS

Secular liberals?

Exceptions to the rule, that's all, but nobody can deny that for the most part it is true.
{Raises hand.}

I deny it. America has lots of conservative Christians (Protestant, RC, Orthodox, other).

If you mean "secular" in the sense of not having an official state religion, lots of American Christians believe we were meant to be a theocracy, and the "Religious Right" keeps trying to set one up.

Some very conservative Christians believe that they should stay separate from Caesar, and that buddying up with the government goes badly in the end.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Broken their election promises?

What were they? Deport all Muslims? Lock up all Freemasons? Brand all Protestants with hot irons?

[Roll Eyes]

First they claimed to be the party of the working class, but now they are in government they are making cuts which will hit the working classes the most. They said they would take a tougher line on immigration, but we now have a free for all at the border with Sweden. They're supposed to be eurospectic, but like their coalition partners they've let themselves be shafted by the EU.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Some potty 19thC theory that decided the Urheimat* was in Northern Europe, rather than somewhere around Iran. After all, if you can have the British descended from the Lost Tribes of Israel, why not?

There was - still is - a lot of national myth making to establish that We are superior to Them.

*source homeland

As Alan Coren used to say, the Germans are tall and blonde, but not as tall and blonde as they think they are, especially when they're short dark Austrians with a sense of destiny.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Anyway, no one is ever going to accuse me of being a non-assimilating immigrant destroying French culture. My English habits are perceived to be cute, as are my occasional linguistic mistakes

Have you considered the possibility that the fact they find you cute is more to do with there only being one of you? I can't imagine your neighbours being so happy about it if there were several thousand of you.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Anyway, no one is ever going to accuse me of being a non-assimilating immigrant destroying French culture. My English habits are perceived to be cute, as are my occasional linguistic mistakes

Have you considered the possibility that the fact they find you cute is more to do with there only being one of you? I can't imagine your neighbours being so happy about it if there were several thousand of you.
There being, of course, 200,000 of her in France.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

So what are you going to do now your political party has let you down, Ad Orientem?

Start your own? Join some kind of underground cell dedicated to combating the nefarious plots and conspiracies found in 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion'?

Or uncovering Masonic plots to destabilise Christian Europe?

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's the same thing.
I am so glad I was not drinking anything when I read this.

I guess Jesus was a secular liberal as well, what with this penchant for helping Romans and talking to Samarians instead of waving a placard saying "Israel for the Jews". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I do worry about if the ideology many of these immigrants are bringing with them, that being radical Islam.

I'm fascinated how "many" can be bringing "radical" Islam.

Because one of those words has to be wrong, by definition. To be "radical" you have to be unusual, not common.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

You know what? I'm simply not going to tolerate talk of "Christian Europe" anymore. Because the word "Srebrenica" just popped into my head.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Compared to Sweden and Norway, Finland has failed to grant land rights to the Sami, who are thus relatively disadvantaged and their culture more threatened by the dominant European cultures than in Norway and Sweden.

So at least AO comes by his xenophobia naturally.

quote:
Of course, what he hasn't told us yet is that both the Old and New Testaments were originally written in Finnish...

On golden tablets.

quote:
I read some stuff about this shortly after my last post, via a range of Wikipedia articles. Seems likely the Finns jumped across from Estonia at some point.

Yes, but are they Stoors or Fallohides?

quote:
Then you either misunderstand me or misrepresent me.

And why would all these people misunderstand you?

quote:
quote:

We've seen how you abuse THAT term. I'm not entirely sure you know what it means.

quote:
quote:
You're an idiot.

So are you. Go away!
No, you're an idiot for thinking that western Protestant Christians are liberal secular. I am not an idiot for thinking you're an idiot. The tu quoque is an idiot's argument, so that rather supports my point.

I am no more liberal secular than you are. Except inasmuch as I'm not a raving xenophobe. Guilty as charged there.

Please also note that I have been here since 2001 and you since only 2013, making you a fucking culture-destroying red-eyed immigrant interloper. So bugger off, newcomer. Go back to wherever the hell your kind came from. We're trying to preserve true Aryan shippiness here and you're a radical mongrel.

quote:
quote:
What I do worry about if the ideology many of these immigrants are bringing with them, that being radical Islam.

I'm fascinated how "many" can be bringing "radical" Islam.

Because one of those words has to be wrong, by definition. To be "radical" you have to be unusual, not common.

Not so. Second definition from googling "radical" is "advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social reform." Nothing about numbers there.

[ 24. September 2015, 02:26: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And how many people go around actually talking in a meaningful way about "advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social reform"?

As opposed to complaining about the traffic disruption that will be caused by construction of a mosque down the road, in between posting pictures of cats on Facebook.

No-one ever gets described as "radical" unless they're doing something that is some distance away from what "normal" people are doing.

[ 24. September 2015, 03:53: Message edited by: orfeo ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
And how many people go around actually talking in a meaningful way about "advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social reform"?

As opposed to complaining about the traffic disruption that will be caused by construction of a mosque down the road, in between posting pictures of cats on Facebook.

No-one ever gets described as "radical" unless they're doing something that is some distance away from what "normal" people are doing.

Nice goalpost shift. So you admit it's not by definition, but people just naturally don't tend to be that way.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Note to self: be literal to the point of anal around mousethief. It saves time in the long run.

Example: When referring to "definitions", distinguish between "actual popular usage of language" and "what mousethief can find in dictionary"

[ 24. September 2015, 05:01: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
So what are you going to do now your political party has let you down, Ad Orientem?

Start your own? Join some kind of underground cell dedicated to combating the nefarious plots and conspiracies found in 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion'?

It's most likely that I just won't vote because what we're left with are neo-liberals and just plain old liberals. Now if there was a Christian socialist party I'd vote for them.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Note to self: be literal to the point of anal around mousethief. It saves time in the long run.

Example: When referring to "definitions", distinguish between "actual popular usage of language" and "what mousethief can find in dictionary"

But people don't use "radical" to mean "members of a small group." You invented that and are trying to glom it onto the word, and make fun of me while doing so.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

But people don't use "radical" to mean "members of a small group." You invented that and are trying to glom it onto the word, and make fun of me while doing so.
I said nothing about "members of a small group". I said "unusual" not "common". What does "unusual" mean?

I could say exactly the same thing about other words like "eccentric". The literal meaning of "eccentric" has nothing to do with membership of a small group, but you'd be hard pressed to explain why you were calling someone "eccentric" if they were doing exactly the same thing as the majority of the population.

You can't sensibly say that the majority of people are "cutting edge" or "avant garde" either. The music industry has, in recent years, attempted to define so many people as "alternative" that the genre is a very large one, but the original point was being different from the norm.

None of these involve literally declaring that a counting exercise has to be undertaken, but none of them are logically consistent with a usage that suggests that the majority of people are involved.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's just me, but watching orfeo and Mousethief wag their etymological dicks at each other is a lot more entertaining than reading anything Ad Orientum has to say.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Maybe it's just me, but watching orfeo and Mousethief wag their etymological dicks at each other is a lot more entertaining than reading anything Ad Orientum has to say.

Kelly, having teeth drawn would be more entertaining than reading Ad Orientum. [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

It's most likely that I just won't vote because what we're left with are neo-liberals and just plain old liberals. Now if there was a National socialist party I'd vote for them.
FIFY

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Participating in etymological dick-waving is a lot more entertaining.

...although, is it really etymological? [Devil]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

It's most likely that I just won't vote because what we're left with are neo-liberals and just plain old liberals. Now if there was a National socialist party I'd vote for them.
FIFY
Fuck off!
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Am I the only one who has noticed that Ad Orientum has told Mousethief to 'Go away!' and Karl Liberal Backslider to 'Fuck off!'?

Does this mean that because Mousethief is Orthodox he only deserves a polite school-playground brush-off as far as Ad Orientum is concerned - ('Ya boo! Go away poo-poo head!') whereas Karl being a self-confessed liberal and a backslider to boot, is given the full Anglo-Saxon works (or more accurately, Old Dutch) ... ?

Karl is clearly a Freemason and Zionist sympathiser.

For all that, perhaps Ad Orientum would like to explain how his xenophobia, chauvinism and strong nationalism (he's told me off for describiing it as 'ultra') is at all compatible with any form of socialism, whether Christian or otherwise.

I know we're treading into Godwin's Law territory, but the only form of socialism I'm aware of that corresponds to the kind of views that Ad Orientum appears to espouse is National Socialism ...

[Ultra confused]

But what would I know? I'm being manipulated by Freemasons and Zionists.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by orfeo;
quote:
To be "radical" you have to be unusual, not common.

If we're being thoroughly etymological, 'radical' means one of two things, which are nothing to do with unusualness or commonness.

One possibility is that you are going back to the root ('radix') of whatever it is - a near equivalent of the concept 'fundamentalist'. I suspect this might be Ad Orientem's prime meaning in his comment about 'radical Islam'; and arguably he is right to be concerned as in Islam it is the 'radical' form of the faith in that sense which does violence. coercion and jihad right back to the teaching and example of Muhammad supported by the Quran.

The other and more usual sense of 'radical' is that one deals with something 'radically' by a 'dig up the roots' or 'eradication' (note again the 'radix' root of the word) approach. Another relevant phrase would be 'root and branch'. Again this appears to be relevant to Islam which in its original taught-by-Muhammad form wants to adopt such a 'radical' approach to other beliefs.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Am I the only one who has noticed that Ad Orientum has told Mousethief to 'Go away!' and Karl Liberal Backslider to 'Fuck off!'?

Does this mean that because Mousethief is Orthodox he only deserves a polite school-playground brush-off as far as Ad Orientum is concerned - ('Ya boo! Go away poo-poo head!') whereas Karl being a self-confessed liberal and a backslider to boot, is given the full Anglo-Saxon works (or more accurately, Old Dutch) ... ?

Karl is clearly a Freemason and Zionist sympathiser.

For all that, perhaps Ad Orientum would like to explain how his xenophobia, chauvinism and strong nationalism (he's told me off for describiing it as 'ultra') is at all compatible with any form of socialism, whether Christian or otherwise.

I know we're treading into Godwin's Law territory, but the only form of socialism I'm aware of that corresponds to the kind of views that Ad Orientum appears to espouse is National Socialism ...

[Ultra confused]

But what would I know? I'm being manipulated by Freemasons and Zionists.

What I espouse is a better deal for my country. Exit the EU, tighter immigration controls, assert our Christian identity and have a fairer distribution of wealth among our citizens. That's all.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So fuck your trade, massively restrict your economic growth and try to become mono-culture. Thay's all.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
So fuck your trade, massively restrict your economic growth and try to become mono-culture. Thay's all.

The EU has held us back. We could save a load lots of money if we left as this article (in Finnish) suggests.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, I don't read Finnish.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Try Google translate. It will give you an idea. Personally I think we should just ignore the Russia sanctions which would help our economy a lot.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Putin annexed Crimea, if that action were consequencelss - what do you think the long term fall out is likely to be ? Has Finland not been invaded by Russia before ?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just tried Google Translate.

"Lamas have had in the past. They have come and gone."

The rest seems to be some boring stuff about leaving the EU. Or the EU leaving Finland. It's a bit difficult to work out which.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016