homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Katie Hopkins: 'I'm the new Jesus' (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Katie Hopkins: 'I'm the new Jesus'
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

I never thought I would say this, but we have insulted Ann Coulter.

Lol is used to indicate humour. In this case I really did laugh out loud.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a really interesting article with her in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/18/katie-hopkins-jon-ronson-interview

She has a severe epilepsy and has a child who she says is on the autistic spectrum.

By the way, anyone thinking that comments about the looks of people one doesn't like only happen to women should check out what some football fans say about players like Peter Beardsley and Franck Ribery.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That really is very badly controlled epilepsy, will cause gradual detoriation of mental function - and she definitely does have a higher risk of sudden death.

It may be that her theory of mind, empathy and social understanding are lessening over time.

Very sad for her and her family.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether the S*n knew about that when they hired her to write controversial columns, they kept her on after her openly racist column about refugees, didn't they?. Reading the interview with her, I don't hate her like I thought I would, just that the likes of the S*n are utter twats for giving her an audience.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cynical twats, too, exploiting someone who seems actually to be quite vulnerable. Not all that different really from the people who gather at the bottom of a building and urge the person threatening suicide standing on the windowsill to jump.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't hold my epilepsy responsible in any way for any of my occasionally irrational and vitriolic outbursts (see posts passim: that's just me. It has (with some help from generally effective anti-convulsant medication) screwed up my memory, it does put me in hospital from time to time and anyone with tonic-clonic (grand mal) epilepsy is, like me, at risk of sudden death.

Katie Hopkins is, IMHO, a self-publicist using her epilepsy to make a living. In doing so however she does others with epilepsy no favours whatsoever. Are we are all rude and vindictive? Are we all so overbearingly arrogant? Are we all going to pop our clogs at any moment? Many of us with epilepsy find getting and keeping a job quite hard enough already, so we often keep it under wraps, even if we tell our employers and immediate co-workers.

Katie Hopkins, STFU.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
[Smile]
But seriously, and I know it's not very hellish to say so, I think we should be praying for her (and people like her). It is a horrible and very sad thing to see the divine image so distorted in a person.

Well you were right Albertus. I even saw her humanity slip through for a second when the interviewer said, "But you named your child Indie," and you could see her thinking, "No but wait, I'm only hired to be outrageous, leave my child out of this!"

Worse is now I'm going to feel bad about annoying Sioni so much -- until tomorrow when we've both forgot all this.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
This incident is liable to reflect on the Christian faith, to an extent. Many people will assume (from the basic reporting of this) that Christianity is very much in line with Hopkins views.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
There was a really interesting article with her in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/18/katie-hopkins-jon-ronson-interview

I was interested to read in the link that her parents are Methodists, but she doesn't identify as a Christian herself, does she? (I wonder if the Methodist Recorder has written about her Methodist roots? That would be ... interesting.)

In any case, I can't imaging that claiming to be the 'new Jesus' would make everyone assume that you're somehow speaking for Christianity. If it does, that says something truly fascinating about the popular understanding of religion. Mostly, that the churches ought to pack up and go home, because absolutely no one is paying attention!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I wouldn't hold my epilepsy responsible in any way for any of my occasionally irrational and vitriolic outbursts (see posts passim: that's just me. It has (with some help from generally effective anti-convulsant medication) screwed up my memory, it does put me in hospital from time to time and anyone with tonic-clonic (grand mal) epilepsy is, like me, at risk of sudden death.

Another one checking in. KH does a grave dis-service to many of us epileptics trying to live a normal life. I grew up with immense prejudice and awkwardness around my epilepsy. it's not long since people with this condition were locked away, some still are because their condition is just uncontrollable. I worry / am concerned that she will set back the clock of understanding towards epileptics and marginalisation will be enhanced or we will be likened // put in the same category as that dork.
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one here too. I had wondered about a possible connection between Ms Hopkins' epilepsy - or her medication - and her behaviour. It's not impossible, but it's no excuse.
If, for example, a heightened awareness of her own mortality, means that she wants to make lots of money to safeguard a future for her unfortunately named children, there are lots of ways to do that that other than being a rent-a-bitch for the media.

I have epilepsy. I am sometimes a vindictive cow. I don't get to use the one as an excuse for the other, and neither does Ms Hopkins.

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:
Whether the S*n knew about that when they hired her to write controversial columns, they kept her on after her openly racist column about refugees, didn't they?
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Cynical twats, too, exploiting someone who seems actually to be quite vulnerable. Not all that different really from the people who gather at the bottom of a building and urge the person threatening suicide standing on the windowsill to jump.
It's not just the Sun who kept her on after her openly racist column; the Church and Media Conference invited her to speak! Were they hoping that she would say something like "I'm the new Jesus" which would get their conference column inches in the newspapers?

Whether she's vile or vulnerable, the Church and Media conference stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Sun in encouraging her.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
It's not just the Sun who kept her on after her openly racist column; the Church and Media Conference invited her to speak! Were they hoping that she would say something like "I'm the new Jesus" which would get their conference column inches in the newspapers?

Clearly the Church is learning its publicity seeking skills directly from her. Maybe she's giving seminars?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In any case, I can't imaging that claiming to be the 'new Jesus' would make everyone assume that you're somehow speaking for Christianity. If it does, that says something truly fascinating about the popular understanding of religion. Mostly, that the churches ought to pack up and go home, because absolutely no one is paying attention!

I suspect that no-one is paying attention.

I don't mean that there will be an assumption that Hopkins is speaking for Christianity as such. It is more that it would appear that the church - and so Christianity - seems to be condoning Hopkins views. I think that is dangerous, because her views are abhorrent.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I see - you mean because it was a 'Christian' event? But I imagine very few people even knew it was happening because, after all, it was only a 'Christian' event....
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was she invited? The organisers (who are trying hard to keep names from the public at present) argue that they merely invite a variety of opinions. What utter bullshit. Who will they invite next?

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm always available to give them an alternative opinion. Inexplicably, I've never been invited.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
The organisers (who are trying hard to keep names from the public at present) argue that they merely invite a variety of opinions.

It's not exactly a secret. Their names and faces are a matter of public record.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016